Using Thunderbird from external script?

theheadlesssourceman
Hey all,

I'm trying to write a script (in Python) to crawl my Thunderbird inbox and take actions based on incoming email.  I've had success reading the database and plucking things out of it, but that's of no use in removing emails from the server once they are processed.

The interwebz all talk about PyXPCOM for this sort of thing, but I confirmed with the devs and that project is long dead and gone. :P

Is there any other way to control Thunderbird from the outside world anymore, or is Mozilla moving away from that feature?

Thanks in advance,
-K