Using Gecko without any UI overhead

elewinso
Dear group members,

As a research project I am attempting to create a hybrid crawler,
the functionality of which should be the following:
- fetch pages in both plain http and ssl.
- run javascripts but also be able to not run them on demand.
- parse the content of these pages and access their DOM tree.

I found Gecko to be more than what the doctor ordered, in the sense that as
a server-side type application,
I do not need all the UI functionality already built into Gecko.

I have searched the web and some of the mozilla newsgroups (dev.embedding,
dev.builds) for an answer to the question:
"can i embed gecko for the above functionality without all the UI overhead?"
and did not find one. Moreover, it seems
that currently this cannot be done.

As a last attempt to receive an "official" answer, i'm posting this message
here.
If indeed my understanding is correct and this is currently impossible, I
would like to inquire if this is in any way
part of a future release.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Eyal Lewinsohn.

p.s.
I'm sorry if you feel I have selected the wrong group for this post. Please
let me know to where it should be posted.

Re: Using Gecko without any UI overhead

tower
I'm not sure about your requirement. If you only want to get the dom information without rendered info, you can just use the htmlparser without gecko.

Re: Using Gecko without any UI overhead

elewinso
I also need the following 2 functionalities:
can i also use the html parser for fetching URI's ?
does the html parser also run the javascript on the page ?

thanks,

news:[hidden email]...