Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

Mozilla - Thunderbird mailing list
My add-on, Send Later, is marked compatible for TB
25.0a1 through 60.* on addons.thunderbird.net.

When I create a brand new TB 60.2.1 profile, I am able
to successfully install Send Later in it without any
compatibility complaints.

Nevertheless, two different users now have complained
to me that they have been unable to install the add-on
in 60.2.1, and both of them have gotten a red banner
when attempting to install, claiming that the add-on
could not be installed because it is not compatible
with Thunderbird 60.2.1.

Like I said, this is just wrong: it's marked
compatible, and I do not get the same banner when I
install it.

I don't know how to help these users because I can't
explain or reproduce the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Could it be relevant that both users who complained
were using a locale other than English, whereas I'm
using English?
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

Jörg Knobloch
On 16/10/2018 20:46, Jonathan Kamens via dev-apps-thunderbird wrote:
> I don't know how to help these users because I can't
> explain or reproduce the issue.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

What is in the install.rdf? Are these users installing manually?

Jörg.

_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

Mozilla - Thunderbird mailing list
=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_Knobloch?= <[hidden email]> writes:
>On 16/10/2018 20:46, Jonathan Kamens via dev-apps-thunderbird wrote:
>> I don't know how to help these users because I can't
>> explain or reproduce the issue.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>What is in the install.rdf?

https://github.com/jikamens/send-later/blob/master/install.rdf

>Are these users installing manually?

One of the two users said he attempted the install
both within the add-ons page in Thunderbird and by
downloading the XPI and doing "Install add-on from
file", and neither worked.

Both of them actually sent screenshots of the red
banner at the top of the window claiming that Send
Later was incompatible with Thunderbird 60.2.1, so
whatever's happening, it seems clear that they're not
making it up.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

Jörg Knobloch
On 17/10/2018 14:06, Jonathan Kamens via dev-apps-thunderbird wrote:
> One of the two users said he attempted the install
> both within the add-ons page in Thunderbird and by
> downloading the XPI and doing "Install add-on from
> file", and neither worked.

Hard to say, I tried both and both worked.

Jörg.

_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

WaltS48-9
In reply to this post by Mozilla - Thunderbird mailing list
On 10/17/18 8:06 AM, Jonathan Kamens wrote:

> =?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_Knobloch?= <[hidden email]> writes:
>> On 16/10/2018 20:46, Jonathan Kamens via dev-apps-thunderbird wrote:
>>> I don't know how to help these users because I can't
>>> explain or reproduce the issue.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> What is in the install.rdf?
>
> https://github.com/jikamens/send-later/blob/master/install.rdf
>
>> Are these users installing manually?
>
> One of the two users said he attempted the install
> both within the add-ons page in Thunderbird and by
> downloading the XPI and doing "Install add-on from
> file", and neither worked.
>
> Both of them actually sent screenshots of the red
> banner at the top of the window claiming that Send
> Later was incompatible with Thunderbird 60.2.1, so
> whatever's happening, it seems clear that they're not
> making it up.
>

Also no problem installing Send Later 6.3.9 in Thunderbird 60.2.1 on
Ubuntu 18.04.

I'd suggest they try a test profile.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

Mozilla - Thunderbird mailing list
In reply to this post by Mozilla - Thunderbird mailing list
Well, I figured it out, or more accurately, one of my
users did and pointed out the problem to me.

Even though I had updated the compatibility of the
add-on to 60.* on addons.thunderbird.net, the
downloaded XPI was still showing the old compatibility
value of 60.0.

I never ran into this problem before the move from
addons.mozilla.org to addons.thunderbird.net, so I
wonder... Was there something previously that would
update the XPI files on AMO when compatibility
settings were changed through the UI, that isn't
working properly on ATN?

As a workaround I've gone through all of my add-ons
and uploaded new XPIs with correct compatibility
values in them, but I'd rather not have to do that
every time a new TB or SeaMonkey version is released
(if, indeed, there is ever going to be another new
SeaMonkey release that supports my add-ons!), and
furthermore it makes for extra work for reviewers.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

dillinger-2
On 10/20/18 4:14 PM, Jonathan Kamens wrote:

> Well, I figured it out, or more accurately, one of my
> users did and pointed out the problem to me.
>
> Even though I had updated the compatibility of the
> add-on to 60.* on addons.thunderbird.net, the
> downloaded XPI was still showing the old compatibility
> value of 60.0.
>
> I never ran into this problem before the move from
> addons.mozilla.org to addons.thunderbird.net, so I
> wonder... Was there something previously that would
> update the XPI files on AMO when compatibility
> settings were changed through the UI, that isn't
> working properly on ATN?
>
> As a workaround I've gone through all of my add-ons
> and uploaded new XPIs with correct compatibility
> values in them, but I'd rather not have to do that
> every time a new TB or SeaMonkey version is released
> (if, indeed, there is ever going to be another new
> SeaMonkey release that supports my add-ons!), and
> furthermore it makes for extra work for reviewers.
>
It has always been like this, also on AMO. AMO/ATN doesn't change your
files when you change/update the compatibility on AMO/ATN.
If the file isn't compatible itself Thunderbird checks on AMO/ATN if it
is marked as compatible, and then continues.
What has changed is that the compatibility bumps were automatic on AMO,
and they are not on ATN.
And apparently it doesn't always work for everybody, I've had complaints
like this too.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Users can't install my add-on in TB 60.2.1 even though it's compatible

Mozilla - Thunderbird mailing list
dillinger <[hidden email]> writes:
>It has always been like this, also on AMO. AMO/ATN doesn't change your
>files when you change/update the compatibility on AMO/ATN.
>If the file isn't compatible itself Thunderbird checks on AMO/ATN if it
>is marked as compatible, and then continues.

Well, I guess it's this part that isn't always working,
then? Because I've had several reports of Thunderbird
claiming that my add-on isn't compatible with 60.2.1
even though ATN says it is.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-thunderbird mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-thunderbird