User Interface

garth2007
Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators or
does XUL not allow this functionality?

Re: User Interface

squaredancer
On 29.10.2006 03:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
generate the following:? :

>Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators or
>does XUL not allow this functionality?

where, when, what???
Window??
doing???
Application do you mean - Firefox, SeaMonkey, Netscape, Thunderbird====

sorry for being so blunt, but there are *SO MANY* options to choose (=
guess) from

reg

Re: User Interface

garth2007
I only use Firefox and Thunderbird at this time. I quit using Netscape
as soon as the old Firebird came on the scene because my background is
XML and DOM so I love the new products except this one issue.

squaredancer wrote:

> On 29.10.2006 03:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
> generate the following:? :
>
>> Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators or
>> does XUL not allow this functionality?
>>

> where, when, what???
> Window??
> doing???
> Application do you mean - Firefox, SeaMonkey, Netscape, Thunderbird====
>
> sorry for being so blunt, but there are *SO MANY* options to choose (=
> guess) from
>
> reg

Re: User Interface

Tony Mechelynck
[reordering posts: top-posting is frowned upon in these newsgroups]
garth wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 29.10.2006 03:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
>> generate the following:? :
>>
>>> Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators
>>> or does XUL not allow this functionality?
>>>

>> where, when, what???
>> Window??
>> doing???
>> Application do you mean - Firefox, SeaMonkey, Netscape, Thunderbird====
>>
>> sorry for being so blunt, but there are *SO MANY* options to choose (=
>> guess) from
>>
>> reg

 > I only use Firefox and Thunderbird at this time. I quit using Netscape
 > as soon as the old Firebird came on the scene because my background is
 > XML and DOM so I love the new products except this one issue.

Sorry, garth, I still don't understand what you mean. Could you please
formulate your question in some more detail, possibly with an example?

Best regards,
Tony.

Re: User Interface

garth2007
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> [reordering posts: top-posting is frowned upon in these newsgroups]
> garth wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 29.10.2006 03:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> where, when, what???
>>> Window??
>>> doing???
>>> Application do you mean - Firefox, SeaMonkey, Netscape, Thunderbird====
>>>
>>> sorry for being so blunt, but there are *SO MANY* options to choose
>>> (= guess) from
>>>
>>> reg
>
>  > I only use Firefox and Thunderbird at this time. I quit using Netscape
>  > as soon as the old Firebird came on the scene because my background is
>  > XML and DOM so I love the new products except this one issue.
>  >
>
> Sorry, garth, I still don't understand what you mean. Could you please
> formulate your question in some more detail, possibly with an example?
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

like say for example TBird, how it's got subject, sort by read, etc., in
windows I can double click it an it expands by the largest string. Can
this be accomplished in Mozilla?

Re: User Interface

squaredancer
On 29.10.2006 20:01, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
generate the following:? :

>I only use Firefox and Thunderbird at this time. I quit using Netscape
>as soon as the old Firebird came on the scene because my background is
>XML and DOM so I love the new products except this one issue.
>
>squaredancer wrote:
>

>>On 29.10.2006 03:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
>>generate the following:? :
>>

>>>Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators or
>>>does XUL not allow this functionality?
>>>

>>where, when, what???
>>Window??
>>doing???
>>Application do you mean - Firefox, SeaMonkey, Netscape, Thunderbird====
>>
>>sorry for being so blunt, but there are *SO MANY* options to choose (=
>>guess) from
>>
>>reg

IF you mean the headline separators in Thunderbird (between  Subject |
Sender | Date etc)  simply LEFT click and hold the separator and
drag....  standard Windows handling!

reg

Re: User Interface

Tony Mechelynck
garth wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> [reordering posts: top-posting is frowned upon in these newsgroups]
>> garth wrote:

>>  > I only use Firefox and Thunderbird at this time. I quit using Netscape
>>  > as soon as the old Firebird came on the scene because my background is
>>  > XML and DOM so I love the new products except this one issue.
>>  >
>>
>> Sorry, garth, I still don't understand what you mean. Could you please
>> formulate your question in some more detail, possibly with an example?
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>
> like say for example TBird, how it's got subject, sort by read, etc., in
> windows I can double click it an it expands by the largest string. Can
> this be accomplished in Mozilla?

I don't know. What I know can be done is (among others) as follows:

- Use View -> Sort, or click once on a column heading to sort by that
particular field. Click the column again to reverse the sequence. Note:
Clicking on a column heading also sets the display to "Unthreaded". You can
correct that afterwards in the View -> Sort menu.
- Drag the column boundaries in the pane heading to make columns wider or
narrower.
- Click the rightmost symbol (above the scrollbar) to add or remove columns
via a pop-down menu.
- Drag the column headings laterally to reorder the columns.
- Hover the mouse over a clipped text (e.g. a long "Subject" which got cut off
at the column boundary) to see it in full in a tooltip.

If I am still misunderstanding you, then try to explain as if I were in
kindergarten.

HTH,
Tony.

Re: User Interface

garth2007
garth wrote:
> Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators or
> does XUL not allow this functionality?

Doesn't anyone have an answer for this?

Re: User Interface

garth2007
squaredancer wrote:

> On 29.10.2006 03:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
> generate the following:? :
>
>> Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators or
>> does XUL not allow this functionality?
>>

> where, when, what???
> Window??
> doing???
> Application do you mean - Firefox, SeaMonkey, Netscape, Thunderbird====
>
> sorry for being so blunt, but there are *SO MANY* options to choose (=
> guess) from
>
> reg

You know the details separators which in windows when you double click
on them they expand to the length of the largest string.

Re: User Interface

squaredancer
On 30.10.2006 08:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
generate the following:? :

>garth wrote:
>

>>Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators or
>>does XUL not allow this functionality?
>>

>Doesn't anyone have an answer for this?

doesn't my "drag to size" work???

news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]

reg

Re: User Interface

Leonidas Jones
garth wrote:
> garth wrote:
>> Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators or
>> does XUL not allow this functionality?
>
> Doesn't anyone have an answer for this?

Did this ever work?  I tried NS 7.2, and it doesn't work there.

Lee

Re: User Interface

garth2007
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> garth wrote:
>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>>> [reordering posts: top-posting is frowned upon in these newsgroups]

>>>  > I only use Firefox and Thunderbird at this time. I quit using
>>> Netscape
>>>  > as soon as the old Firebird came on the scene because my
>>> background is
>>>  > XML and DOM so I love the new products except this one issue.
>>>  >
>>>
>>> Sorry, garth, I still don't understand what you mean. Could you
>>> please formulate your question in some more detail, possibly with an
>>> example?
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Tony.
>>
>> like say for example TBird, how it's got subject, sort by read, etc.,
>> in windows I can double click it an it expands by the largest string.
>> Can this be accomplished in Mozilla?
>
> I don't know. What I know can be done is (among others) as follows:
>
> - Use View -> Sort, or click once on a column heading to sort by that
> particular field. Click the column again to reverse the sequence. Note:
> Clicking on a column heading also sets the display to "Unthreaded". You
> can correct that afterwards in the View -> Sort menu.
> - Drag the column boundaries in the pane heading to make columns wider
> or narrower.
> - Click the rightmost symbol (above the scrollbar) to add or remove
> columns via a pop-down menu.
> - Drag the column headings laterally to reorder the columns.
> - Hover the mouse over a clipped text (e.g. a long "Subject" which got
> cut off at the column boundary) to see it in full in a tooltip.
>
> If I am still misunderstanding you, then try to explain as if I were in
> kindergarten.
>

> HTH,
> Tony.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for that information.

Is there any way to remove columns such as "sort by attachment"?

Garth

Re: User Interface

garth2007
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> garth wrote:
>> garth wrote:
>>> Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators
>>> or does XUL not allow this functionality?
>>
>> Doesn't anyone have an answer for this?
>
> Did this ever work?  I tried NS 7.2, and it doesn't work there.
>
> Lee

Hi Lee

I think Windows applications should work as such even if more elegant
technology such as XML is available to design them.

Garth

Re: User Interface

Tony Mechelynck
Garth wrote:
[...]
> Hi Tony,
>
> Thank you for that information.
>
> Is there any way to remove columns such as "sort by attachment"?
>
> Garth

To remove the column which tells you (by presenced or absence of a paper clip)
whether mails have attachments, do the same as to remove any other column:
click the rightmost symbol (on the column headers line, above the scrollbar)
to unroll the menu of possible columns; click a given column name to toggle it
on/off.

Best regards,
Tony.

Re: User Interface

garth2007
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Garth wrote:
> [...]
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> Thank you for that information.
>>
>> Is there any way to remove columns such as "sort by attachment"?
>>
>> Garth
>
> To remove the column which tells you (by presenced or absence of a paper
> clip) whether mails have attachments, do the same as to remove any other
> column: click the rightmost symbol (on the column headers line, above
> the scrollbar) to unroll the menu of possible columns; click a given
> column name to toggle it on/off.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Thank you tony.

I was hoping to be able to right click anywhere on one of the columns
and make them disappear.

I just want it to work like any other Windows application even with the
more advanced methods you describe.

Garth

Re: User Interface

garth2007
Garth wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> Garth wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Hi Tony,
>>>
>>> Thank you for that information.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to remove columns such as "sort by attachment"?
>>>
>>> Garth
>>
>> To remove the column which tells you (by presenced or absence of a
>> paper clip) whether mails have attachments, do the same as to remove
>> any other column: click the rightmost symbol (on the column headers
>> line, above the scrollbar) to unroll the menu of possible columns;
>> click a given column name to toggle it on/off.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>
> Thank you tony.
>
> I was hoping to be able to right click anywhere on one of the columns
> and make them disappear.
>
> I just want it to work like any other Windows application even with the
> more advanced methods you describe.
>
> Garth

PS. I want different views for newsgroup and email messages or I want a
different program for news/newsgroups altogether.

Re: User Interface

garth2007
squaredancer wrote:

> On 30.10.2006 08:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  garth to
> generate the following:? :
>
>> garth wrote:
>>

>>> Will I ever be able to "double click" to move the detail separators
>>> or does XUL not allow this functionality?
>>>

>> Doesn't anyone have an answer for this?
>>

> doesn't my "drag to size" work???
>
> news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]
>
> reg

Yes but I want a simple "double click".

Re: User Interface

Tony Mechelynck
Garth wrote:
> Garth wrote:
[...]
>> Thank you tony.
>>
>> I was hoping to be able to right click anywhere on one of the columns
>> and make them disappear.
>>
>> I just want it to work like any other Windows application even with
>> the more advanced methods you describe.

Thunderbird is not "just any other Windows application". It is a
cross-platform application, developed in parallel for Windows, Linux and
MacOsX, with "contributed" versions for other OSes. As such, it tries to look
familiar to Windows users, Linux users and Mac users, while keeping a common
"look and feel" and using as much "platform-independent" code as possible. It
doesn't try to mimic Outlook Express in every little detail (or it would _be_
Outlook Express and no use publishing it), any more than it tries to mimic
kMail or whichever mail application comes bundled with the Mac.

>> Garth
>
> PS. I want different views for newsgroup and email messages or I want a
> different program for news/newsgroups altogether.

I think you can set a different view for every "folder" in the left pane but I
haven't tried recently. Or you can use a different program for newsgroups:
Seamonkey Mail/News is a possibility if you want to stick with Mozilla
products. To use the one for mail and the other for news, simply define your
mail account(s) in the one and your news subscriptions in the other.

Best regards,
Tony.

Re: User Interface

garth2007
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Garth wrote:
>> Garth wrote:
> [...]
>>> Thank you tony.
>>>
>>> I was hoping to be able to right click anywhere on one of the columns
>>> and make them disappear.
>>>
>>> I just want it to work like any other Windows application even with
>>> the more advanced methods you describe.
>
> Thunderbird is not "just any other Windows application". It is a
> cross-platform application, developed in parallel for Windows, Linux and
> MacOsX, with "contributed" versions for other OSes. As such, it tries to
> look familiar to Windows users, Linux users and Mac users, while keeping
> a common "look and feel" and using as much "platform-independent" code
> as possible. It doesn't try to mimic Outlook Express in every little
> detail (or it would _be_ Outlook Express and no use publishing it), any
> more than it tries to mimic kMail or whichever mail application comes
> bundled with the Mac.
>

>>> Garth
>>
>> PS. I want different views for newsgroup and email messages or I want
>> a different program for news/newsgroups altogether.
>
> I think you can set a different view for every "folder" in the left pane
> but I haven't tried recently. Or you can use a different program for
> newsgroups: Seamonkey Mail/News is a possibility if you want to stick
> with Mozilla products. To use the one for mail and the other for news,
> simply define your mail account(s) in the one and your news
> subscriptions in the other.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Thanks again Tony.

When you drop a column it's the same everywhere in the program
unfortunately.

Also I'd never use Netscape products since they aren't based on XML and
therefore have a limited future.

Garth

Re: User Interface

Tony Mechelynck
Garth wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> Garth wrote:
>>> Garth wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Thunderbird is not "just any other Windows application". It is a
>> cross-platform application, developed in parallel for Windows, Linux
>> and MacOsX, with "contributed" versions for other OSes. As such, it
>> tries to look familiar to Windows users, Linux users and Mac users,
>> while keeping a common "look and feel" and using as much
>> "platform-independent" code as possible. It doesn't try to mimic
>> Outlook Express in every little detail (or it would _be_ Outlook
>> Express and no use publishing it), any more than it tries to mimic
>> kMail or whichever mail application comes bundled with the Mac.

>>> PS. I want different views for newsgroup and email messages or I want
>>> a different program for news/newsgroups altogether.
>>
>> I think you can set a different view for every "folder" in the left
>> pane but I haven't tried recently. Or you can use a different program
>> for newsgroups: Seamonkey Mail/News is a possibility if you want to
>> stick with Mozilla products. To use the one for mail and the other for
>> news, simply define your mail account(s) in the one and your news
>> subscriptions in the other.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>
> Thanks again Tony.
>
> When you drop a column it's the same everywhere in the program
> unfortunately.
>
> Also I'd never use Netscape products since they aren't based on XML and
> therefore have a limited future.
>
> Garth

Seamonkey, like Thunderbird and Firefox, is a Mozilla product, not a Netscape
one. All those products share many modules of code (known as "Core" in
Bugzilla), including the Gecko rendering engine. IIUC, Seamonkey 1.0.x shares
code with Fx/Tb 1.5.0.x, Seamonkey 1.1 (about to be released) with Fx/Tb 2.0,
Seamonkey 1.5 (alpha) with Fx/Tb 3.0 (alpha).

Recent Netscape browsers (Netscape 6 and later) are largely based on the same
codebase (and not the other way round) with a number of proprietary Netscape
additions such as the module allowing access to @netscape.net mail accounts
from the mail/news subsystem.

As for "everything but XML" having a limited future, I wouldn't make such a
sweeping statement.

Best regards,
Tony.