Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

Greetings!

I have an old server and was running Bugzilla ok until it got hacked.  Now I need to upgraded.  I am going to use Linux instead of the old Windows NT.  The question is Can the latest Bugzilla v5.x upgrade an old-old server? (ie. as  old as v1.x or early 2.x)  Thanks for your response.

josé

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

I am trying to install Bugzilla in a RedHat server, and I am following this link,

As per instructions, I am entering,

yum install bugzilla httpd mysql-server

and I am getting,

[sudo] password for bzadmin:

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager

No package bugzilla available.

Package httpd-2.4.6-67.el7_4.6.x86_64 already installed and latest version

No package mysql-server available.

Nothing to do

So, how do I install bugzilla and mysql on a RedHat server?

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 at 2:29 PM
From: "Thorsten Schöning" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)
Guten Tag jose cabrera,
am Montag, 12. Februar 2018 um 19:27 schrieben Sie:

> The question is Can the latest Bugzilla v5.x
> upgrade an old-old server? (ie. as old as v1.x or early 2.x) Thanks for your response.

In theory yes, it heavily depends on if you customized your Bugzilla
in any way. That was pretty common "in the old days" and Bugzilla will
most likely show you during an upgrade by throwing lot of errors. Best
is to run a sanity check on the old installation additionally before
the upgrade. There's a pretty current thread regarding the same topic
as well:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.support.bugzilla/6Pj9TO_pFYw
https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/installing/upgrading.html
https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/installing/moving.html

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning E-Mail: [hidden email]
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Telefon...........05151- 9468- 55
Fax...............05151- 9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

Emmanuel Seyman-3
* jose cabrera [15/02/2018 15:59] :

> So, how do I install bugzilla and mysql on a RedHat server?

MySQL has been replaced with MariaDB on RHEL 7 so you'll have to
run the command "yum install mariadb-server".

Bugzilla has never been availible for RHEL 7 (and the package for
RHEL 6 was dropped early on).

Shameless plug: https://blog.fedora-fr.org/eseyman/post/Installing-Bugzilla-on-RHEL/Centos-7.x

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

Ok, thanks for the plugin.  I am planning to use it.  However, a few questions first:
-- Does that mean that if I am moving from an old windows NT4 Bugzilla version, which ran under MySQL, to a RHEL 7 linux server, I will be able to bring the data to MariaDB?

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM
From: "Emmanuel Seyman" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
* jose cabrera [15/02/2018 15:59] :

> So, how do I install bugzilla and mysql on a RedHat server?

MySQL has been replaced with MariaDB on RHEL 7 so you'll have to
run the command "yum install mariadb-server".

Bugzilla has never been availible for RHEL 7 (and the package for
RHEL 6 was dropped early on).

Shameless plug: https://blog.fedora-fr.org/eseyman/post/Installing-Bugzilla-on-RHEL/Centos-7.x

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

Emmanuel Seyman-3
* jose cabrera [16/02/2018 16:46] :

> -- Does that mean that if I am moving from an old windows NT4 Bugzilla version,
> which ran under MySQL, to a RHEL 7 linux server, I will be able to bring the
> data to MariaDB?

The way I hear it, MariaDB is designed to be 100% compatible with MySQL
so moving from one to the other should be easy. That said, I'm mostly a
postgresql person so you're better off testing it rather than taking my
word for it.

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

Merci, Emmanuel.  One last question: do you know of someone that has been able to install Bugzilla in a RHEL 7 environment using yum?  This is what I am running:

Linux bugserver 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 30 05:26:04 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It looks like I will have to download the tarball and compile it from scratch, but I will never be able to use yum to update and/or downgrade. I would rather use fedora and follow your fix than trying to come up with all of the tweaks and whistles you had to go through.   Thanks for the help.

josé

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 at 10:58 AM
From: "Emmanuel Seyman" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
* jose cabrera [16/02/2018 16:46] :

> -- Does that mean that if I am moving from an old windows NT4 Bugzilla version,
> which ran under MySQL, to a RHEL 7 linux server, I will be able to bring the
> data to MariaDB?

The way I hear it, MariaDB is designed to be 100% compatible with MySQL
so moving from one to the other should be easy. That said, I'm mostly a
postgresql person so you're better off testing it rather than taking my
word for it.

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

I have been trying and googleing for the past 4 days, but the problem is that the server I have does not seem to know anything about bugzilla:

[bzadmin@buggyMan ~]$ sudo yum install bugzilla httpd mysql-server

[sudo] password for bzadmin:

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-

: manager

No package bugzilla available.

Package httpd-2.4.6-67.el7_4.6.x86_64 already installed and latest version

No package mysql-server available.

Nothing to do

So, I I have installed mariadb-server, and I am hoping for the 100% compatibility, but I have been searching how to get bugzilla enabled in this server:

Linux buggyMan 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 30 05:26:04 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And, I have even thinking about downloading the bugzilla tarball to start building it, but I am hesitante to do it, since I just want to use yum for update, etc.

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 at 11:16 AM
From: "Thorsten Schöning" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Guten Tag jose cabrera,
am Freitag, 16. Februar 2018 um 16:46 schrieben Sie:

> -- Does that mean that if I am moving from an old windows NT4
> Bugzilla version, which ran undernMySQL, to a RHEL 7 linux server, I
> will be able to bring the data to MariaDB?

In theory yes, it only depends on what your version of MySQL is able
to export and if that can be imported by MariaDB. Using the search
engine of your choice, you surely find a lot of documentation about
such an migration with your version of MySQL.

https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/installing/moving.html

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning E-Mail: [hidden email]
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Telefon...........05151- 9468- 55
Fax...............05151- 9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

Emmanuel Seyman-3
* jose cabrera [16/02/2018 17:13] :

> Merci, Emmanuel.  One last question: do you know of someone that has been able
> to install Bugzilla in a RHEL 7 environment using yum?  This is what I am
> running:

I originally created the COPR described in my blog post when the RPMFusion guys
wanted to have a Bugzilla instance using only rpms. To the best of my knowledge,
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/ is served using it.

This really should be as simple as:

* yum install yum-plugin-copr
* yum copr enable eseyman/bugzilla-5.0
* yum install bugzilla

After that, you should have bugzilla installed and ready to be configured.

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

This is what I get,

sudo yum install yum-plugin-copr

[sudo] password for bzadmin:

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-

: manager

No package yum-plugin-copr available.

> Merci, Emmanuel. One last question: do you know of someone that has been able
> to install Bugzilla in a RHEL 7 environment using yum? This is what I am
> running:

I originally created the COPR described in my blog post when the RPMFusion guys
wanted to have a Bugzilla instance using only rpms. To the best of my knowledge,
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/ is served using it.

This really should be as simple as:

* yum install yum-plugin-copr
* yum copr enable eseyman/bugzilla-5.0
* yum install bugzilla

After that, you should have bugzilla installed and ready to be configured.

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

So,  I just upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 server Bugzilla 3.2 MySQL v5.1.30 for Win32, to Bugzilla v5.0.4 MySQL 5.7.21 on an Ubuntu 14.04 (4.4.0-112-generic #135-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 19 11:48:36 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux). All data was recovered.  So, it is possible, and probably, much easier than I thought or expected.

Now, all the data is there, but I need to make it look like before, or like it was when the new installation was just freshly completed. Any pointers or URLs that I can use to set skins, css, etc?  Thanks so much.

josé

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

>Skins are managed system wide and per user, so have a look at the
>default preferences under "Administration" and for each user under its
>own "Preferences".
>
>https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/administering/preferences.html
>https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/using/preferences.html#general-preferences
These do not help at all.  This is how the installation looks now:

https://www.xdocushare.xerox.com/dsweb/Get/Document-1362636/newinstall.jpg

How do I get it to have background and formatted?

thanks.

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

Andre Klapper
Hi,

On Wed, 2018-02-21 at 15:56 +0100, jose cabrera wrote:
> > https://www.xdocushare.xerox.com/dsweb/Get/Document-1362636/newinstal
> l.jpg
>
> How do I get it to have background and formatted?

Please check the log files of your web server software for errors why
the CSS does not seem to load at all.

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

> Please check the log files of your web server software for errors why
> the CSS does not seem to load at all.

There are a bunch of them:
[Wed Feb 21 14:36:11.873417 2018] [access_compat:error] [pid 15670] [client 13.49.230.48:51977] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /var/www/html/bugzilla/data/assets/e1086c55658d7f5d8eeadaeae010427a.css, referer: http://siteurl/bugzilla/

[Wed Feb 21 14:53:28.281847 2018] [access_compat:error] [pid 15672] [client 13.157.209.11:51791] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /var/www/html/bugzilla/data/assets/d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.js, referer: http://siteurl/bugzilla/

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera
> > How do I get it to have background and formatted?
>
> That depends on the actual problem of course. Start with firing up
> your web browser's dev tool to see the requests for CSS etc. and how
> those are answered. Depending on the answers you can dig further,
> because either skins might be missing entirly or your web server
> doesn't allow requesting those or paths might be configured wrongly in
> your Bugzilla settings or...

I think I found out the problem.  All files are owned by 'root'.  I think they need to be owned by 'www-data'.  Is that the case?  Thanks.

josé

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

Wayne Allen
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 7:49:21 AM UTC-8, Thorsten Schöning wrote:

> Guten Tag jose cabrera,
> am Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2018 um 16:35 schrieben Sie:
>
> > I think I found out the problem.  All files are owned by 'root'.  I
> > think they need to be owned by 'www-data'.  Is that the case?  Thanks.
>
> Not necessarily, if that's the problem or not heavily depends on the
> permissions. If they are readable by others, which is most likely the
> case, that is not your problem. You former error message reads like a
> misconfiguration of your web server. Have look at your "Require"
> directoves for the various "Directory"s defined in your configuration.
> "data/assets" is most likely not allowed to be requested because of
> some denieing "Require" somewhere by default or such. You need to
> override that for your "bugzilla"-directory.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> Thorsten Schöning
>
> --
> Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail: [hidden email]
> AM-SoFT IT-Systeme      http://www.AM-SoFT.de/
>
> Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
> Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
> Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04
>
> AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
> AG Hannover HRB 207 694 - Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

One of the things I had to do we bringing forward an older version was to recursively delete all the .htaccess files and regenerate them with checksetup.pl.

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

> One of the things I had to do we bringing forward an older version was to recursively
> delete all the .htaccess files and regenerate them with checksetup.pl.

So this is what SMART-ME did: uninstall Apache2 and reinstall, but now, apache2 will not start.  Any ideas how to fix this?  I am getting this output from checksetup.pl:

[clip]
WARNING: We could not check the configuration of Apache. This sometimes
happens when you are not running checksetup.pl as root. To see the
problem we ran into, run: /usr/sbin/apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES

Reading ./localconfig...

OPTIONAL NOTE: If you want to be able to use the 'difference between two
patches' feature of Bugzilla (which requires the PatchReader Perl module
as well), you should install patchutils from:

    http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/patchutils/

Checking for            DBD-mysql (v4.001)    ok: found v4.033
Checking for                MySQL (v5.0.15)   ok: found v5.7.21-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

Removing existing compiled templates...
Precompiling templates...done.
Fixing file permissions...
Deriving regex group memberships...
checksetup.pl complete.

And also, when I run this command,

/usr/sbin/apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES

I get,

/usr/sbin/apachectl: 175: /usr/sbin/apachectl: /usr/sbin/apache2: not found
Action '-t -D DUMP_MODULES' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.

Now, I have uninstalled/installed apache2 3 times.  I am trying to get help from apache email support, but the registration has not come yet. 2hours!  Help!

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

Just to finish this thread, here is what I did to fix the apache problem:

step 1: apt-get remove apache2*
step 2: apt-get install apache2

thanks.

josé

What if eternity is real? Where will you spend it? Hmmm...

Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 3:18 PM
From: "jose cabrera" <[hidden email]>
To: "Wayne Allen" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
> One of the things I had to do we bringing forward an older version was to recursively
> delete all the .htaccess files and regenerate them with checksetup.pl.

So this is what SMART-ME did: uninstall Apache2 and reinstall, but now, apache2 will not start. Any ideas how to fix this? I am getting this output from checksetup.pl:

[clip]
WARNING: We could not check the configuration of Apache. This sometimes
happens when you are not running checksetup.pl as root. To see the
problem we ran into, run: /usr/sbin/apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES

Reading ./localconfig...

OPTIONAL NOTE: If you want to be able to use the 'difference between two
patches' feature of Bugzilla (which requires the PatchReader Perl module
as well), you should install patchutils from:

http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/patchutils/

Checking for DBD-mysql (v4.001) ok: found v4.033
Checking for MySQL (v5.0.15) ok: found v5.7.21-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

Removing existing compiled templates...
Precompiling templates...done.
Fixing file permissions...
Deriving regex group memberships...
checksetup.pl complete.

And also, when I run this command,

/usr/sbin/apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES

I get,

/usr/sbin/apachectl: 175: /usr/sbin/apachectl: /usr/sbin/apache2: not found
Action '-t -D DUMP_MODULES' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.

Now, I have uninstalled/installed apache2 3 times. I am trying to get help from apache email support, but the registration has not come yet. 2hours! Help!

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

> And what about your CSS problems, did deleting .htaccess-files help or
> is that problem still there?
Yeah, about that... When I received that suggestion, I had already uninstall the apache server and was having the problem.  So, he may have been right.  However, since the data was already imported, and that was the most important part, but what I did was to re-install apache and,

cd /var/www/html
git clone --branch release-X.X-stable https://github.com/bugzilla/bugzilla Bugzilla

and then addressed the $dbuser and $dbpass, and that's it.  Now, I have to play around with customization.  Probably go, one by one and see the differences, and try to copy the perl code from the old to the new one.  But, at least, now, all is looking good.  Thanks.

josé

What if eternity is real? Where will you spend it? Hmmm...

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera
> Guten Tag jose cabrera,
Guten tag.

> am Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2018 um 14:47 schrieben Sie:
>
> > Now, I
> > have to play around with customization.  Probably go, one by one and
> > see the differences, and try to copy the perl code from the old to
> > the new one.  But, at least, now, all is looking good.  Thanks.
>
> You should not change Bugzilla core files, else you might run into
> merge conflicts and whatever during upgrades. Create proper extensions
> instead or simply don't customize at all.
>
> https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/integrating/extensions.html

I wish that was the  case.  This has been running since 2007 and someone went crazy adding new fields, looks, etc.  So, I wish your statement was true, but now, I have to deal with this.  So prepare yourself for questions in the next few minutes. :-)  thanks.

josé

--
What if eternity is real? Where will you spend it? Hmmm...

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

> > I wish that was the  case.  This has been running since 2007 and
> > someone went crazy adding new fields, looks, etc.  So, I wish your
> > statement was true, but now, I have to deal with this.
>
> That doesn't mean you have to take the same wrong approach again and
> leave others with an unmaintainable installation in future. Take your
> time to check for customizations, critically ask if those are really
> needed anymore or can be replaced with Bugzilla core functionality
> available in the new versions and if not, create extensions.
That is my plan.  But right now, we've been down 3 weeks, managing with emails back and forth and that is just annoying.

> Make clear to your customer that in the worst case ones is going to
> pay for resolving conflicts for each and every upgrade in future or
> simply won't upgrade for the next 10 years like didn't happen in the
> past obviously. :-)
Of course.  Right now, what I am trying to do is to get the old server up with Ubuntu, and then, continue with to work on the other instance and see what can be done to make it work with less effort. Thanks.

josé

--
What if eternity is real? Where will you spend it? Hmmm...