Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

Greetings!

I have an old server and was running Bugzilla ok until it got hacked.  Now I need to upgraded.  I am going to use Linux instead of the old Windows NT.  The question is Can the latest Bugzilla v5.x upgrade an old-old server? (ie. as  old as v1.x or early 2.x)  Thanks for your response.

josé

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

I am trying to install Bugzilla in a RedHat server, and I am following this link,

As per instructions, I am entering,

yum install bugzilla httpd mysql-server

and I am getting,

[sudo] password for bzadmin:

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager

No package bugzilla available.

Package httpd-2.4.6-67.el7_4.6.x86_64 already installed and latest version

No package mysql-server available.

Nothing to do

So, how do I install bugzilla and mysql on a RedHat server?

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 at 2:29 PM
From: "Thorsten Schöning" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)
Guten Tag jose cabrera,
am Montag, 12. Februar 2018 um 19:27 schrieben Sie:

> The question is Can the latest Bugzilla v5.x
> upgrade an old-old server? (ie. as old as v1.x or early 2.x) Thanks for your response.

In theory yes, it heavily depends on if you customized your Bugzilla
in any way. That was pretty common "in the old days" and Bugzilla will
most likely show you during an upgrade by throwing lot of errors. Best
is to run a sanity check on the old installation additionally before
the upgrade. There's a pretty current thread regarding the same topic
as well:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.support.bugzilla/6Pj9TO_pFYw
https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/installing/upgrading.html
https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/installing/moving.html

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning E-Mail: [hidden email]
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Telefon...........05151- 9468- 55
Fax...............05151- 9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

Emmanuel Seyman-3
* jose cabrera [15/02/2018 15:59] :

> So, how do I install bugzilla and mysql on a RedHat server?

MySQL has been replaced with MariaDB on RHEL 7 so you'll have to
run the command "yum install mariadb-server".

Bugzilla has never been availible for RHEL 7 (and the package for
RHEL 6 was dropped early on).

Shameless plug: https://blog.fedora-fr.org/eseyman/post/Installing-Bugzilla-on-RHEL/Centos-7.x

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

Ok, thanks for the plugin.  I am planning to use it.  However, a few questions first:
-- Does that mean that if I am moving from an old windows NT4 Bugzilla version, which ran under MySQL, to a RHEL 7 linux server, I will be able to bring the data to MariaDB?

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM
From: "Emmanuel Seyman" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
* jose cabrera [15/02/2018 15:59] :

> So, how do I install bugzilla and mysql on a RedHat server?

MySQL has been replaced with MariaDB on RHEL 7 so you'll have to
run the command "yum install mariadb-server".

Bugzilla has never been availible for RHEL 7 (and the package for
RHEL 6 was dropped early on).

Shameless plug: https://blog.fedora-fr.org/eseyman/post/Installing-Bugzilla-on-RHEL/Centos-7.x

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

Emmanuel Seyman-3
* jose cabrera [16/02/2018 16:46] :

> -- Does that mean that if I am moving from an old windows NT4 Bugzilla version,
> which ran under MySQL, to a RHEL 7 linux server, I will be able to bring the
> data to MariaDB?

The way I hear it, MariaDB is designed to be 100% compatible with MySQL
so moving from one to the other should be easy. That said, I'm mostly a
postgresql person so you're better off testing it rather than taking my
word for it.

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

Merci, Emmanuel.  One last question: do you know of someone that has been able to install Bugzilla in a RHEL 7 environment using yum?  This is what I am running:

Linux bugserver 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 30 05:26:04 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It looks like I will have to download the tarball and compile it from scratch, but I will never be able to use yum to update and/or downgrade. I would rather use fedora and follow your fix than trying to come up with all of the tweaks and whistles you had to go through.   Thanks for the help.

josé

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 at 10:58 AM
From: "Emmanuel Seyman" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
* jose cabrera [16/02/2018 16:46] :

> -- Does that mean that if I am moving from an old windows NT4 Bugzilla version,
> which ran under MySQL, to a RHEL 7 linux server, I will be able to bring the
> data to MariaDB?

The way I hear it, MariaDB is designed to be 100% compatible with MySQL
so moving from one to the other should be easy. That said, I'm mostly a
postgresql person so you're better off testing it rather than taking my
word for it.

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

I have been trying and googleing for the past 4 days, but the problem is that the server I have does not seem to know anything about bugzilla:

[bzadmin@buggyMan ~]$ sudo yum install bugzilla httpd mysql-server

[sudo] password for bzadmin:

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-

: manager

No package bugzilla available.

Package httpd-2.4.6-67.el7_4.6.x86_64 already installed and latest version

No package mysql-server available.

Nothing to do

So, I I have installed mariadb-server, and I am hoping for the 100% compatibility, but I have been searching how to get bugzilla enabled in this server:

Linux buggyMan 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 30 05:26:04 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And, I have even thinking about downloading the bugzilla tarball to start building it, but I am hesitante to do it, since I just want to use yum for update, etc.

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 at 11:16 AM
From: "Thorsten Schöning" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Guten Tag jose cabrera,
am Freitag, 16. Februar 2018 um 16:46 schrieben Sie:

> -- Does that mean that if I am moving from an old windows NT4
> Bugzilla version, which ran undernMySQL, to a RHEL 7 linux server, I
> will be able to bring the data to MariaDB?

In theory yes, it only depends on what your version of MySQL is able
to export and if that can be imported by MariaDB. Using the search
engine of your choice, you surely find a lot of documentation about
such an migration with your version of MySQL.

https://bugzilla.readthedocs.io/en/5.0/installing/moving.html

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning E-Mail: [hidden email]
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Telefon...........05151- 9468- 55
Fax...............05151- 9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

Emmanuel Seyman-3
* jose cabrera [16/02/2018 17:13] :

> Merci, Emmanuel.  One last question: do you know of someone that has been able
> to install Bugzilla in a RHEL 7 environment using yum?  This is what I am
> running:

I originally created the COPR described in my blog post when the RPMFusion guys
wanted to have a Bugzilla instance using only rpms. To the best of my knowledge,
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/ is served using it.

This really should be as simple as:

* yum install yum-plugin-copr
* yum copr enable eseyman/bugzilla-5.0
* yum install bugzilla

After that, you should have bugzilla installed and ready to be configured.

Emmanuel

Re: Upgrading a real old version (2nd try)

jose cabrera

This is what I get,

sudo yum install yum-plugin-copr

[sudo] password for bzadmin:

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-

: manager

No package yum-plugin-copr available.