Updating the ThreadPane

dredze
I am writing an extension that adds another column to the ThreadPane
(the list of messages currently in the folder). This additional column
is modeled after the "read" column in that it has two graphics that you
can toggle between. So far I have the column added and clicking on the
column calls a function I created. The problem is that I have no way to
populate the column with my graphic. I created an entry in the .css
file that contains my graphics and such, but I cannot find the place
where the actual updating is done. Specifically, I want to be able to
change the graphic based on a header within the message. When the
ThreadPane updates after the click, it should check the message header
and change the graphic appropriately. Where does this take place within
the javascript UI layer? I cannot seem to find where the read column is
updated, which is my model. Additionally, I am having another problem
in getting and setting custom headers given the nsIMsgDBHdr object.
There was another thread on that problem but it was not solved. The
getStringProperty method only returns a limited number of headers. Most
of the mark as read functionality is happening within the xpcom layer,
but I am sure there is a way to do this in the javascript layer. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
please cc all replies to mdredze _ at _ seas _ dot _ upenn.edu