Updated Mozilla FAQ

Jay Garcia
Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own mind.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

๐Ÿ˜‰ Good Guy ๐Ÿ˜‰
On 11/04/2014 14:12, Jay Garcia wrote:
> Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own mind.
>
> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/

Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It is
time to move on to something new.

The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is not
a one man band that can't operate without that one person.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

Jay Garcia
On 11.04.2014 09:22, Good Guy wrote:

>> Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own mind.
>>
>> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/
>>

> Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It is
> time to move on to something new.
>
> The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is not
> a one man band that can't operate without that one person.

Earlier I promised to post the updated FAQ, promise kept, no further agenda.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/
Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

John McGaw-2
On 4/11/2014 10:22 AM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 11/04/2014 14:12, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own mind.
>>
>> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/
>>

> Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It is time
> to move on to something new.
>
> The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is not a
> one man band that can't operate without that one person.

It is just now becoming a bore to you? I hit that point about fifteen
minutes into the original brouhaha, prompting my "Who gives a rat's?" post
that seemed to just wind up some folk even more.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

responder-2
On 4/11/2014 10:43 AM, John McGaw wrote:

> On 4/11/2014 10:22 AM, Good Guy wrote:
>> On 11/04/2014 14:12, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own mind.
>>>
>>> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/
>>>

>> Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It is time
>> to move on to something new.
>>
>> The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is not a
>> one man band that can't operate without that one person.
>>

> It is just now becoming a bore to you? I hit that point about fifteen
> minutes into the original brouhaha, prompting my "Who gives a rat's?"
> post that seemed to just wind up some folk even more.

Be nice to close all the related threads.

This is really boring. Must have something more interesting to discuss.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

ยปQยซ
> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/

It doesn't have much (if anything) to do with the current controversy,
but there's a little thing that keeps bugging me about MoFo/MozCorp's
messaging regarding the founding of Mozilla.  Everything I've read for
a while now makes it seem that Baker and Eich were the only founders of
the Mozilla project.  In the case of the updated FAQ, it's this bullet
point:

  1998: Brendan Eich and Mitchell Baker co-founded the Mozilla Project

IMO, it would be hard to make a case that JWZ wasn't also a founder of
the project.  From a 2001 interview with Frank Hecker:ยน

  First, in my opinion a number of people at Netscape were instrumental
  in setting the Mozilla project on the right path when it initially
  started back in 1998. I want to mention especially Jamie Zawinski and
  Mitchell Baker. (Jamie was the most active and prominent member of
  mozilla.org early on, though he was never actually its official
  "leader." Mitchell was formerly a Netscape lawyer; she's now the
  Netscape manager responsible for mozilla.org.)

  Jamie Zawinski did a great job of establishing an independent
  identity for the Mozilla project at its outset; he lobbied for
  creation of the mozilla.org web site independent of Netscape's site,
  lobbied for creation of mozilla.org as a separate group dedicated to
  making the Mozilla project successful, and commissioned and directed
  the creation of the Mozilla logo and "brand image" (to use
  marketing-speak for a moment). Most important, Jamie articulated a
  clear vision for the Mozilla project and for mozilla.org; his
  "mission statement" is still relevant and has needed little updating
  over the years.

1 - http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/ec1May.html

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

ยปQยซ
In <news:[hidden email]>,
John McGaw <no.where@all> wrote:

> On 4/11/2014 10:22 AM, Good Guy wrote:
> > On 11/04/2014 14:12, Jay Garcia wrote:
> >> Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own
> >> mind.
> >>
> >> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/
> >
> > Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It
> > is time to move on to something new.
> >
> > The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is
> > not a one man band that can't operate without that one person.
>
> It is just now becoming a bore to you? I hit that point about fifteen
> minutes into the original brouhaha, prompting my "Who gives a rat's?"
> post that seemed to just wind up some folk even more.

If I posted every time some subject discussed in mozilla.general bores
me, people would get sick of my "I don't care" posts pretty quickly.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

Ron Hunter
On 4/11/2014 9:22 AM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 11/04/2014 14:12, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own mind.
>>
>> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/
>>

> Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It is
> time to move on to something new.
>
> The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is not
> a one man band that can't operate without that one person.

The problem is the number of people who can't learn to tolerate others,
who have left the Mozilla programs because of their feelings, one way or
the other, about this issue.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

Jay Garcia
On 11.04.2014 11:30, ยปQยซ wrote:

> It doesn't have much (if anything) to do with the current controversy,
> but there's a little thing that keeps bugging me about MoFo/MozCorp's
> messaging regarding the founding of Mozilla.  Everything I've read for
> a while now makes it seem that Baker and Eich were the only founders of
> the Mozilla project.  In the case of the updated FAQ, it's this bullet
> point:
>
>   1998: Brendan Eich and Mitchell Baker co-founded the Mozilla Project
>
> IMO, it would be hard to make a case that JWZ wasn't also a founder of
> the project.  From a 2001 interview with Frank Hecker:ยน
>
>   First, in my opinion a number of people at Netscape were instrumental
>   in setting the Mozilla project on the right path when it initially
>   started back in 1998. I want to mention especially Jamie Zawinski and
>   Mitchell Baker. (Jamie was the most active and prominent member of
>   mozilla.org early on, though he was never actually its official
>   "leader." Mitchell was formerly a Netscape lawyer; she's now the
>   Netscape manager responsible for mozilla.org.)
>
>   Jamie Zawinski did a great job of establishing an independent
>   identity for the Mozilla project at its outset; he lobbied for
>   creation of the mozilla.org web site independent of Netscape's site,
>   lobbied for creation of mozilla.org as a separate group dedicated to
>   making the Mozilla project successful, and commissioned and directed
>   the creation of the Mozilla logo and "brand image" (to use
>   marketing-speak for a moment). Most important, Jamie articulated a
>   clear vision for the Mozilla project and for mozilla.org; his
>   "mission statement" is still relevant and has needed little updating
>   over the years.
>
> 1 - http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/ec1May.html

JWZ was in fact one of the founders of the original Mozilla Project but
not The Foundation. Perhaps this is the reason. Confuses a lot of folks.

On 11/04/2014 15:43, John McGaw wrote:

> On 4/11/2014 10:22 AM, Good Guy wrote:
>> On 11/04/2014 14:12, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own mind.
>>>
>>> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/
>>>

>> Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It is time
>> to move on to something new.
>>
>> The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is not a
>> one man band that can't operate without that one person.
>>

> It is just now becoming a bore to you? I hit that point about fifteen
> minutes into the original brouhaha, prompting my "Who gives a rat's?"
> post that seemed to just wind up some folk even more.

Yes.  People here are crying more even after about 4 weeks of the
departure of their Messiah.  Even Oscar Pistorius doesn't cry that must
despite being on trial for murder in South Africa!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

Jay Garcia
On 11.04.2014 12:36, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Informational post only, no sides taken. Read and make up your own mind.
>>>
>>> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/
>>>

>> Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It is
>> time to move on to something new.
>>
>> The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is not
>> a one man band that can't operate without that one person.
>>

> The problem is the number of people who can't learn to tolerate others,
> who have left the Mozilla programs because of their feelings, one way or
> the other, about this issue.

There are those that leave and there are those that SAY they are leaving
for the "I'll show 'em" reasoning.

On 11/04/2014 20:35, Jay Garcia wrote:

> There are those that leave and there are those that SAY they are leaving
> for the "I'll show 'em" reasoning.

Why aren't they going away quietly without telling anybody on these
newsgroups?  What is the point?  Are they expecting us to beg them to
remain here and continue using the Mozilla products?

I still don't get it. Let them go quietly;  I don't want to know that
they have left.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

ยปQยซ
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are those that leave and there are those that SAY they are
> leaving for the "I'll show 'em" reasoning.

Absolutely.  In terms of bad stuff flying around the interwebs about
Mozilla, the Eich controversy is kind of a big deal.  In terms of
impact on Firefox *usage*, signs point to it being almost nothing.

It'll be interesting to see if the various market share trackers
register even a blip for this month.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

responder-2
On 4/11/2014 3:53 PM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 11/04/2014 20:35, Jay Garcia wrote:
>

>> There are those that leave and there are those that SAY they are leaving
>> for the "I'll show 'em" reasoning.
>>

> Why aren't they going away quietly without telling anybody on these
> newsgroups?  What is the point?  Are they expecting us to beg them to
> remain here and continue using the Mozilla products?
>
> I still don't get it. Let them go quietly;  I don't want to know that
> they have left.

The only reason you'll know is when they tell you...who cares?

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

ยปQยซ
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Good Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/04/2014 20:35, Jay Garcia wrote:
>
> > There are those that leave and there are those that SAY they are
> > leaving for the "I'll show 'em" reasoning.
>
> Why aren't they going away quietly without telling anybody on these
> newsgroups?  What is the point?  Are they expecting us to beg them to
> remain here and continue using the Mozilla products?

IMO, most of them believe they are fighting an important battle in the
so-called Culture War in the U.S., so they think it's important to
speak out.  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_war>

> I still don't get it. Let them go quietly;  I don't want to know that
> they have left.

New "I'm leaving" posts have pretty much stopped appearing.  The last
real one I see was Monday, then there was a fake one (a troll trying to
be funny) on Tuesday.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

ยปQยซ
In <news:[hidden email]>,
ยปQยซ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Good Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I still don't get it. Let them go quietly;  I don't want to know
> > that they have left.
>
> New "I'm leaving" posts have pretty much stopped appearing.  The last
> real one I see was Monday, then there was a fake one (a troll trying
> to be funny) on Tuesday.

You can also see the outcry tapering off at
<https://input.mozilla.org>.  It's not quite down to baseline level
yet, but it's getting there fast.

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

Jay Garcia
On 11.04.2014 14:53, Good Guy wrote:

>> There are those that leave and there are those that SAY they are leaving
>> for the "I'll show 'em" reasoning.
>>

> Why aren't they going away quietly without telling anybody on these
> newsgroups?  What is the point?  Are they expecting us to beg them to
> remain here and continue using the Mozilla products?
>
> I still don't get it. Let them go quietly;  I don't want to know that
> they have left.

Perhaps you didn't understand the reasoning behind making an "I'm
leaving" announcement and not really leaving. Wouldn't do any good to
make a silent leave now would it.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/
Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org

Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ

Daniel-257
On 12/04/14 02:32, ยปQยซ wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> John McGaw <no.where@all> wrote:

>>> Frankly, this topic has become a complete and utter bore now.  It
>>> is time to move on to something new.
>>>
>>> The CEO has gone and we can't sit here crying about it.  Mozilla is
>>> not a one man band that can't operate without that one person.
>>
>> It is just now becoming a bore to you? I hit that point about fifteen
>> minutes into the original brouhaha, prompting my "Who gives a rat's?"
>> post that seemed to just wind up some folk even more.
>
> If I posted every time some subject discussed in mozilla.general bores
> me, people would get sick of my "I don't care" posts pretty quickly.

No, we'd all just stick you in our "Kill" file ... and hope that if you
did post something interesting, that somebody else hadn't kill filed you
and replies to you!! ;-)

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/28.0 SeaMonkey/2.25 Build identifier: 20140211200211

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.25 Build identifier: 20140211195952

OT Oscar Pistorius (was: Re: Updated Mozilla FAQ)

Daniel-257
On 12/04/14 05:34, Good Guy wrote:

<Snip>
> Yes.  People here are crying more even after about 4 weeks of the
> departure of their Messiah.  Even Oscar Pistorius doesn't cry that must
> despite being on trial for murder in South Africa!!!!!!!!!!

And doesn't Oscar sound strange when he is crying!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/28.0 SeaMonkey/2.25 Build identifier: 20140211200211

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.25 Build identifier: 20140211195952

Re: OT Oscar Pistorius

๐Ÿ˜‰ Good Guy ๐Ÿ˜‰
On 15/04/2014 13:46, Daniel wrote:
> On 12/04/14 05:34, Good Guy wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>> Yes.  People here are crying more even after about 4 weeks of the
>> departure of their Messiah.  Even Oscar Pistorius doesn't cry that must
>> despite being on trial for murder in South Africa!!!!!!!!!!
>
> And doesn't Oscar sound strange when he is crying!!

Apparently he was faking his emotions according to the prosecutor. When
he can't answer the questions, he starts to cry.

Anyway, he has finished with him for now and we should know the outcome
sometimes next week.  To most sensible people Oscar is guilty as charged
but we are dealing with South Africa's justice system.

Oscar had the intention to kill somebody whether a burglar or Reeva
Ste*** and that is guilty in most countries' laws.  Intention is always
a guilty result.

--
Good Guy
Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk