Unsupported Browser ???

Re: Unsupported Browser ???

Nuno J. Silva
A 28-12-2005 01:49, Craig Watts escreveu:

> Tom J wrote:
>
>> FF is still in beta and even though you say it's the same #, if it was
>> downloaded hours apart there could be many changes. Why not go with a
>> stable browser until FF gets out of beta? That's what I'm doing. I
>> went back to Mozilla 1.7.12, the last edition, and am having no problems.
>>

> Where can one go to download older versions of Firefox? I'm up to 1.07
> and it will not load on an old WIN 98 (not se) system. I would like to
> try an older version like 0.09.
>
> It's an old Laptop I'm dusting off.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
Try to install the most recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Doing this will update some system files and, some months ago, this
worked on a computer of mine - the 1.0 version setup was not working,
while FF 0.9 was up-and-running. After the update, I was able to install
FF 1.0.

--
Nuno Silva (aka NJSG)
Lisbon, Portugal

A: Top-posting.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing in the Internet?

Re: Unsupported Browser ???

Craig Watts
> Try to install the most recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
> Doing this will update some system files and, some months ago, this
> worked on a computer of mine - the 1.0 version setup was not working,
> while FF 0.9 was up-and-running. After the update, I was able to install
> FF 1.0.

Very good insight. The very reason I was trying to install
FF 1.07 was because it was close to IMPOSSIBLE to browser
the web using IE.

The Win98 system had a browser version of IE 4.0. It was
getting script errors, GPF's and lock up's. It was so bad
that I couldn't even view the Microsoft update page. All the
script errors made the page un-readable.

So that is why I was trying to load FireFox.

BTW- in the interim I did load Opera and use that a bit.

Thanks,

Craig

Re: Unsupported Browser ???

gwtc
Craig Watts wrote:

>>Try to install the most recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
>>Doing this will update some system files and, some months ago, this
>>worked on a computer of mine - the 1.0 version setup was not working,
>>while FF 0.9 was up-and-running. After the update, I was able to install
>>FF 1.0.
>>

> Very good insight. The very reason I was trying to install
> FF 1.07 was because it was close to IMPOSSIBLE to browser
> the web using IE.
>
> The Win98 system had a browser version of IE 4.0. It was
> getting script errors, GPF's and lock up's. It was so bad
> that I couldn't even view the Microsoft update page. All the
> script errors made the page un-readable.
>
> So that is why I was trying to load FireFox.
>
> BTW- in the interim I did load Opera and use that a bit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
you better hurry up and update win98.  You have until June 30, 2006.
After that your SOL.

Re: Unsupported Browser ???

Nuno J. Silva
A 29-12-2005 15:02, Craig Watts escreveu:

>> Try to install the most recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
>> Doing this will update some system files and, some months ago, this
>> worked on a computer of mine - the 1.0 version setup was not working,
>> while FF 0.9 was up-and-running. After the update, I was able to install
>> FF 1.0.
>
> Very good insight. The very reason I was trying to install FF 1.07 was
> because it was close to IMPOSSIBLE to browser the web using IE.
>
> The Win98 system had a browser version of IE 4.0. It was getting script
> errors, GPF's and lock up's. It was so bad that I couldn't even view the
> Microsoft update page. All the script errors made the page un-readable.
>
> So that is why I was trying to load FireFox.
>
> BTW- in the interim I did load Opera and use that a bit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
I updated IE using an installation package I found in a CD from a
computer magazine.

I had not experienced these problems (GPF's, un-readable pages, ...)
becaeuse I didn't have (and don't have) an Internet connection at home.

BTW, the computer I'm talking about is now running Gentoo Linux.
--
Nuno Silva (aka NJSG)
Lisbon, Portugal
http://njsg.no.sapo.pt/
Registered Linux User #402207 - http://counter.li.org
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; pt-PT; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050929
Thunderbird/1.0.7 Fedora/1.0.7-1.1.fc3 Mnenhy/0.6.0.104
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Kernel 2.6.12-njsg - i686
Intel Pentium II (80686) Deschutes - 334Mhz -- 256 Mbs SDRAM

A: Top-posting.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing in the Internet?

Re: Unsupported Browser ???

Jack-20
Diffing the prefs.js between the two profiles might help to figure out what is
different between the two profiles.