Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

Pat Cook-2
Hi everyone:

I have both Firefox 2.0.0.4 & Netscape 9 and ever since I installed Netscape
9, I have encountered periodic unsolicited FULL SCREEN popup windows, mainly
from a company offering a program called Performace Optimizer.

They would sometimes resize themselves as well.  In fact, just as I was
typing the last sentence, a popup window pointing to a web page at
http://avsystemcare.com/data/index.php?545c570d46475b50165400075d68434b6b510c6955515253105f5b585e5250561352555608404968500352520105020e0612055a5709074751500a005340050e0804
appeared.

I have tried using SpyBot SEVERAL times and scanned my system with the
latest edition of Ad Aware.  Neither of them are picking it up.  AVG
Anti-Virus software isn't picking it up either.  This only happens with
Firefox.  Netscape isn't affected.  And IE is NOT to blame.

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Curiously yours...

Pat Cook
Denver, Colorado

Re: Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

Michael Gordon
Pat Cook created this reply On 6/26/2007 10:17 PM

> Hi everyone:
>
> I have both Firefox 2.0.0.4 & Netscape 9 and ever since I installed Netscape
> 9, I have encountered periodic unsolicited FULL SCREEN popup windows, mainly
> from a company offering a program called Performace Optimizer.
>
> They would sometimes resize themselves as well.  In fact, just as I was
> typing the last sentence, a popup window pointing to a web page at
> http://avsystemcare.com/data/index.php?545c570d46475b50165400075d68434b6b510c6955515253105f5b585e5250561352555608404968500352520105020e0612055a5709074751500a005340050e0804
> appeared.
>
> I have tried using SpyBot SEVERAL times and scanned my system with the
> latest edition of Ad Aware.  Neither of them are picking it up.  AVG
> Anti-Virus software isn't picking it up either.  This only happens with
> Firefox.  Netscape isn't affected.  And IE is NOT to blame.
>
> Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
>
> Curiously yours...
>
> Pat Cook
> Denver, Colorado

Hello Pat,

I have noticed a similar behavior with SeaMonkey from the link you
provided, instead of a full page pop up two warning pop ups about virus
scan appear.

In FireFox look for your preferences settings for "Scripts and Plugins"
and disable JavaScript.

Michael

Re: Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

Pat Cook-2
Hi everyone:
"Michael" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Pat Cook created this reply On 6/26/2007 10:17 PM
>
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> I have both Firefox 2.0.0.4 & Netscape 9 and ever since I installed
>> Netscape 9, I have encountered periodic unsolicited FULL SCREEN popup
>> windows, mainly from a company offering a program called Performace
>> Optimizer.
>>
>> They would sometimes resize themselves as well.  In fact, just as I was
>> typing the last sentence, a popup window pointing to a web page at
>> http://avsystemcare.com/data/index.php?545c570d46475b50165400075d68434b6b510c6955515253105f5b585e5250561352555608404968500352520105020e0612055a5709074751500a005340050e0804
>> appeared.
>>
>> I have tried using SpyBot SEVERAL times and scanned my system with the
>> latest edition of Ad Aware.  Neither of them are picking it up.  AVG
>> Anti-Virus software isn't picking it up either.  This only happens with
>> Firefox.  Netscape isn't affected.  And IE is NOT to blame.
>>
>> Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
>>
>> Curiously yours...
>
> Hello Pat,
>
> I have noticed a similar behavior with SeaMonkey from the link you
> provided, instead of a full page pop up two warning pop ups about virus
> scan appear.

I've been getting both.

> In FireFox look for your preferences settings for "Scripts and Plugins"
> and disable JavaScript.

But if I do that, I wouldn't be able to view legit JavaScript.

Looks like someone has found a loophole and has chosen to exploit it for
their own financial (?) gain. :(

Anyhow...I'll try disabling JavaScript in Firefox and see what happens -
Just for grins (If for nothing else).

Cheers :D

Pat Cook
Denver, Colorado

Re: Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

JM-43
"Pat Cook" ..
> "Michael" wrote
> >> I have both Firefox 2.0.0.4 & Netscape 9 and ever since I installed
> >> Netscape 9, I have encountered periodic unsolicited FULL SCREEN popup
> >> windows, mainly from a company offering a program called Performace
> >> Optimizer.
> >>
> >> They would sometimes resize themselves as well.  In fact, just as I was
> >> typing the last sentence, a popup window pointing to a web page at

http://avsystemcare.com/data/index.php?545c570d46475b50165400075d68434b6b510c6955515253105f5b585e5250561352555608404968500352520105020e0612055a5709074751500a005340050e0804

> >> appeared.
> >>
> >> I have tried using SpyBot SEVERAL times and scanned my system with the
> >> latest edition of Ad Aware.  Neither of them are picking it up.  AVG
> >> Anti-Virus software isn't picking it up either.  This only happens with
> >> Firefox.  Netscape isn't affected.  And IE is NOT to blame.
> >>
> >> Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
> >>
> >> Curiously yours...
> >
> > Hello Pat,
> >
> > I have noticed a similar behavior with SeaMonkey from the link you
> > provided, instead of a full page pop up two warning pop ups about virus
> > scan appear.
>
> I've been getting both.
>
> > In FireFox look for your preferences settings for "Scripts and Plugins"
> > and disable JavaScript.
>
> But if I do that, I wouldn't be able to view legit JavaScript.
>
> Looks like someone has found a loophole and has chosen to exploit it for
> their own financial (?) gain. :(
>
> Anyhow...I'll try disabling JavaScript in Firefox and see what happens -
> Just for grins (If for nothing else).
>
> Cheers :D
>
> Pat Cook
> Denver, Colorado

I am adding *avsystemcare.com*  to my adblock filter
 and www.avsystemcare.com to my hosts file
that is a real nasty one had to get completely out
of Firefox.

I appears that McAfee Site Advisor still shows it as green (good) site,
certainly different from the comments seen for same on McAfee site,
and that there are 18 additional sites advertising same software,
and marked as typical rogue software site, ask for credit card information
before it gives you a price, only contact information is email address.
  http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/avsystemcare.com/summary/

Re: Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

Pat Cook-2
Hi everyone:
"David McRitchie" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> "Pat Cook" ..
>> "Michael" wrote

> http://avsystemcare.com/data/index.php?545c570d46475b50165400075d68434b6b510c6955515253105f5b585e5250561352555608404968500352520105020e0612055a5709074751500a005340050e0804

>> > Hello Pat,
>> >
>> > I have noticed a similar behavior with SeaMonkey from the link you
>> > provided, instead of a full page pop up two warning pop ups about virus
>> > scan appear.
>>
>> I've been getting both.
>>
>> > In FireFox look for your preferences settings for "Scripts and Plugins"
>> > and disable JavaScript.
>>
>> But if I do that, I wouldn't be able to view legit JavaScript.
>>
>> Looks like someone has found a loophole and has chosen to exploit it for
>> their own financial (?) gain. :(
>>
>> Anyhow...I'll try disabling JavaScript in Firefox and see what happens -
>> Just for grins (If for nothing else).
>>
>> Cheers :D
>
> I am adding *avsystemcare.com*  to my adblock filter
> and www.avsystemcare.com to my hosts file
> that is a real nasty one had to get completely out
> of Firefox.
>
> I appears that McAfee Site Advisor still shows it as green (good) site,
> certainly different from the comments seen for same on McAfee site,
> and that there are 18 additional sites advertising same software,
> and marked as typical rogue software site, ask for credit card information
> before it gives you a price, only contact information is email address.
>  http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/avsystemcare.com/summary/

Well oddly enough, it hasn't even affected SeaMonkey.  Just for grins, I
purposely left it booted all night.  When I woke up this morning, there was
only the one instance I went to bed with last night.

Also, I tried disabling JavaScript in Firefox as you had suggested Michael.
No luck.  Didn't do any good. :(  In fact, all it did was prevent me from
accessing sites with content based on JavaScript (Such as the login page for
Blogger for instance) and viewing content built around JavaScript.

As I mentioned before, it looks as though someone found a loophole in
Mozilla browsers and is using it to promote their website and their
products.

If their software is actually Anti-Virus software, it seems mighty
convienent that they would advertise it in such a rogue fashion, makes you
kinda wonder if it's rigged whereas their website would be considered an
"aceepted" site by the software with NO way to change it, doesn't it?

No wonder why they can't get stores (Walk-In or online) to sell their stuff.

Cheers :D

Pat Cook
Denver, Colorado

Re: Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

Michael Gordon
Pat Cook created this reply On 6/28/2007 11:41 AM

> Hi everyone:
> "David McRitchie" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> "Pat Cook" ..
>>> "Michael" wrote

>> http://avsystemcare.com/data/index.php?545c570d46475b50165400075d68434b6b510c6955515253105f5b585e5250561352555608404968500352520105020e0612055a5709074751500a005340050e0804

>>> I've been getting both.

>>> But if I do that, I wouldn't be able to view legit JavaScript.
>>>
>>> Looks like someone has found a loophole and has chosen to exploit it for
>>> their own financial (?) gain. :(
>>>
>>> Anyhow...I'll try disabling JavaScript in Firefox and see what happens -
>>> Just for grins (If for nothing else).
>>>
>>> Cheers :D
>> I am adding *avsystemcare.com*  to my adblock filter
>> and www.avsystemcare.com to my hosts file
>> that is a real nasty one had to get completely out
>> of Firefox.
>>
>> I appears that McAfee Site Advisor still shows it as green (good) site,
>> certainly different from the comments seen for same on McAfee site,
>> and that there are 18 additional sites advertising same software,
>> and marked as typical rogue software site, ask for credit card information
>> before it gives you a price, only contact information is email address.
>>  http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/avsystemcare.com/summary/
>
> Well oddly enough, it hasn't even affected SeaMonkey.  Just for grins, I
> purposely left it booted all night.  When I woke up this morning, there was
> only the one instance I went to bed with last night.
>
> Also, I tried disabling JavaScript in Firefox as you had suggested Michael.
> No luck.  Didn't do any good. :(  In fact, all it did was prevent me from
> accessing sites with content based on JavaScript (Such as the login page for
> Blogger for instance) and viewing content built around JavaScript.
>
> As I mentioned before, it looks as though someone found a loophole in
> Mozilla browsers and is using it to promote their website and their
> products.
>
> If their software is actually Anti-Virus software, it seems mighty
> convienent that they would advertise it in such a rogue fashion, makes you
> kinda wonder if it's rigged whereas their website would be considered an
> "aceepted" site by the software with NO way to change it, doesn't it?
>
> No wonder why they can't get stores (Walk-In or online) to sell their stuff.
>
> Cheers :D
>
> Pat Cook
> Denver, Colorado

Hello Pat,

Just the manner of how the antivirus pop up acts makes me wonder what
would really happen if we clicked YES.

I am not in the mood to repair my entire computer system this weekend
because I allowed a malicious web site to drop Trojans on me, so I
exited as quickly as possible.

Michael

Re: Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

killavsystemcarepls
I have the same problem.  The AvSystemCare popups happens in IE also.
SB S&D, SpyHunter, AVG anti virus/anti spyware, WindowsDefender2, live
onecare, and nod32 found no problems.

This virus/malware/whatever seems sensitive to keywords and sites:
more popups if you search for antivirus software or visit antivirus
sites.  I have seen popup for Tiffany's diamonds when genuine button
was clicked when updating MS software.

It is also able to bypass popup blockers.  It may have found a method
to simulate controls that allow manually openning pop-up windows.
Hope there will be a solution soon.

On Jun 26, 8:17 pm, "Pat Cook" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I have both Firefox 2.0.0.4 & Netscape 9 and ever since I installed Netscape
> 9, I have encountered periodic unsolicited FULL SCREEN popup windows, mainly
> from a company offering a program called Performace Optimizer.
>
> They would sometimes resize themselves as well.  In fact, just as I was
> typing the last sentence, a popup window pointing to a web page athttp://avsystemcare.com/data/index.php?545c570d46475b50165400075d6843...
> appeared.
>
> I have tried using SpyBot SEVERAL times and scanned my system with the
> latest edition of Ad Aware.  Neither of them are picking it up.  AVG
> Anti-Virus software isn't picking it up either.  This only happens with
> Firefox.  Netscape isn't affected.  And IE is NOT to blame.
>
> Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
>
> Curiously yours...
>
> Pat Cook
> Denver, Colorado

Re: Unsolicited Full Screen Popups Appearing Since Installation Of Netscape 9

squaredancer
On 11.07.2007 01:13, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
[hidden email] to generate the following:? :

> I have the same problem.  The AvSystemCare popups happens in IE also.
> SB S&D, SpyHunter, AVG anti virus/anti spyware, WindowsDefender2, live
> onecare, and nod32 found no problems.
>
> This virus/malware/whatever seems sensitive to keywords and sites:
> more popups if you search for antivirus software or visit antivirus
> sites.  I have seen popup for Tiffany's diamonds when genuine button
> was clicked when updating MS software.
>
> It is also able to bypass popup blockers.  It may have found a method
> to simulate controls that allow manually openning pop-up windows.
> Hope there will be a solution soon.
>

> On Jun 26, 8:17 pm, "Pat Cook" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> I have both Firefox 2.0.0.4 & Netscape 9 and ever since I installed Netscape
>> 9, I have encountered periodic unsolicited FULL SCREEN popup windows, mainly
>> from a company offering a program called Performace Optimizer.
>>
>> They would sometimes resize themselves as well.  In fact, just as I was
>> typing the last sentence, a popup window pointing to a web page athttp://avsystemcare.com/data/index.php?545c570d46475b50165400075d6843...
>> appeared.
>>
>> I have tried using SpyBot SEVERAL times and scanned my system with the
>> latest edition of Ad Aware.  Neither of them are picking it up.  AVG
>> Anti-Virus software isn't picking it up either.  This only happens with
>> Firefox.  Netscape isn't affected.  And IE is NOT to blame.
>>
>> Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
>>
>> Curiously yours...
>>
>> Pat Cook
>> Denver, Colorado

1) list out the cookies.txt - delete any/all unrecognised cookies
2) put avsystemcare.com  into your Hosts file (only hosts - no extension)

reg