Übersetzung von Android

Michael Wolf-2
Hi,

I have a question for outside of Mozilla. Where is it possible to translate Android OS? Does Google
have such a site like Pontoon?

Regards and thanks in advance,

Michael W.

Re: Übersetzung von Android (should be: "Translating Android", sorry)

Michael Wolf-2
Michael Wolf schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question for outside of Mozilla. Where is it possible to translate Android OS? Does Google
> have such a site like Pontoon?
>
> Regards and thanks in advance,
>
> Michael W.

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Bauer-11
The short answer is sadly no. I've been looking into this for years
myself for Gaelic. There is a translation infrastructure of course but
unless Google specifically wants a language there, it's not going to end
up on devices. And talking to Google is, well, not a fruitful exercise,
trust me...

The only approach that may work (now that B2G and Ubuntu Mobile are
dead) is to find an Android distro that is open to localization into
languages that Google doesn't give a hoot about. A few years ago, that
was CyanogenMod and because there were a few manufactures who had this
distro on their handsets (Wileyfox for example) for a while I had a
Gaelic Android phone because our translations did end up in the builds.
But then of course Cyanogen folded ... the successor project is
LineageOS and we're working on the localization again
(https://crowdin.com/project/lineageos) but at the moment, this OS is
not on any device as a default OS so you'd have to get a compatible
phone and flash Lineage over the stock Android. Which is doable but not
practical for most end users.

We're still translating it in the hope that if LineageOS matures,
eventually there will be some handsets with LineageOS as the default OS
which in theory then means users could access the Gaelic UI.

One word of advice - make frequent backups if you start doing Sorbian.
When Cyanogen went down over night, we hadn't done a backup in ages and
lost most of the translations.

Michael

Sgrìobh Michael Wolf na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 17:13:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question for outside of Mozilla. Where is it possible to
> translate Android OS? Does Google have such a site like Pontoon?
>
> Regards and thanks in advance,
>
> Michael W.

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Fjoerfoks
There's also Sailfish OS which can be translated on
https://translate.sailfishos.org/

Wim

Op vr 9 nov. 2018 18:40 schreef Michael Bauer <[hidden email]:

> The short answer is sadly no. I've been looking into this for years
> myself for Gaelic. There is a translation infrastructure of course but
> unless Google specifically wants a language there, it's not going to end
> up on devices. And talking to Google is, well, not a fruitful exercise,
> trust me...
>
> The only approach that may work (now that B2G and Ubuntu Mobile are
> dead) is to find an Android distro that is open to localization into
> languages that Google doesn't give a hoot about. A few years ago, that
> was CyanogenMod and because there were a few manufactures who had this
> distro on their handsets (Wileyfox for example) for a while I had a
> Gaelic Android phone because our translations did end up in the builds.
> But then of course Cyanogen folded ... the successor project is
> LineageOS and we're working on the localization again
> (https://crowdin.com/project/lineageos) but at the moment, this OS is
> not on any device as a default OS so you'd have to get a compatible
> phone and flash Lineage over the stock Android. Which is doable but not
> practical for most end users.
>
> We're still translating it in the hope that if LineageOS matures,
> eventually there will be some handsets with LineageOS as the default OS
> which in theory then means users could access the Gaelic UI.
>
> One word of advice - make frequent backups if you start doing Sorbian.
> When Cyanogen went down over night, we hadn't done a backup in ages and
> lost most of the translations.
>
> Michael
>
> Sgrìobh Michael Wolf na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 17:13:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a question for outside of Mozilla. Where is it possible to
> > translate Android OS? Does Google have such a site like Pontoon?
> >
> > Regards and thanks in advance,
> >
> > Michael W.

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Bauer-11
PS on the difference between
https://crowdin.com/project/lineageos
and
https://crowdin.com/project/lineageos-aosp
on Crowdin, see this Wiki article, both are needed:
https://wiki.lineageos.org/translate-howto.html#difference-between-lineageos-and-lineageos-aosp

Michael

Sgrìobh Michael Wolf na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 17:13:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question for outside of Mozilla. Where is it possible to
> translate Android OS? Does Google have such a site like Pontoon?
>
> Regards and thanks in advance,
>
> Michael W.

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Bauer-11
Interesting, thanks! Are there any Sailfish devices?

Michael

Sgrìobh Fjoerfoks na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 17:49:
> There's also Sailfish OS which can be translated on
> https://translate.sailfishos.org/
>
> Wim

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Fjoerfoks
Sony Xperia XA2 under way:
https://blog.jolla.com/sailfish3/
Interesting devices.

Op vr 9 nov. 2018 18:55 schreef Michael Bauer <[hidden email]:

> Interesting, thanks! Are there any Sailfish devices?
>
> Michael
>
> Sgrìobh Fjoerfoks na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 17:49:
> > There's also Sailfish OS which can be translated on
> > https://translate.sailfishos.org/
> >
> > Wim

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Bauer-11
Interesting. Though I've just realised that it's not Android though.

Michael

Sgrìobh Fjoerfoks na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 17:59:
> Sony Xperia XA2 under way:
> https://blog.jolla.com/sailfish3/
> Interesting devices.

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Wolf-2
Michael Bauer schrieb:
> The short answer is sadly no. I've been looking into this for years myself for Gaelic. There is a
> translation infrastructure of course but unless Google specifically wants a language there, it's not
> going to end up on devices. And talking to Google is, well, not a fruitful exercise, trust me...

Hi Michael,

I feared that. But, I tried to ask because I hope Google will decide after all to come into the 21st
century.

> The only approach that may work (now that B2G and Ubuntu Mobile are dead) is to find an Android
> distro that is open to localization into languages that Google doesn't give a hoot about. A few
> years ago, that was CyanogenMod and because there were a few manufactures who had this distro on
> their handsets (Wileyfox for example) for a while I had a Gaelic Android phone because our
> translations did end up in the builds. But then of course Cyanogen folded ... the successor project
> is LineageOS and we're working on the localization again (https://crowdin.com/project/lineageos) but
> at the moment, this OS is not on any device as a default OS so you'd have to get a compatible phone
> and flash Lineage over the stock Android. Which is doable but not practical for most end users.

Well, perhaps I will translate LinageOS. But, you are right, the target audience of LineageOS will
be small then, and there will be very few Sorbian users who will use it. Maybe there will be some
enthusiast who badly want to have an OS in Sorbian language. But my tenor is to improve the
situation for software in the Sorbian languages. Also such "small" languages should have software to
meet the requirements of the modern life.

> One word of advice - make frequent backups if you start doing Sorbian. When Cyanogen went down over
> night, we hadn't done a backup in ages and lost most of the translations.

Thank you, Michael I will do that if I really will translate LineageOS.

Regards,

Michael

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Wolf-2
Michael Bauer schrieb:
> PS on the difference between
> https://crowdin.com/project/lineageos
> and
> https://crowdin.com/project/lineageos-aosp
> on Crowdin, see this Wiki article, both are needed:
> https://wiki.lineageos.org/translate-howto.html#difference-between-lineageos-and-lineageos-aosp

Hi Michael,

thank you for the hint. So it would be the best to start with LineageOS AOSP?

Michael

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Bauer-11
Sgrìobh Michael Wolf na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 19:25:
> But, I tried to ask because I hope Google will decide after all to
> come into the 21st
> century.
Oh they're in the 21st century alright but they're "Do no evil" days
seem to be long past

> Well, perhaps I will translate LinageOS. But, you are right, the
> target audience of LineageOS will
> be small then, and there will be very few Sorbian users who will use
> it. Maybe there will be some
> enthusiast who badly want to have an OS in Sorbian language. But my
> tenor is to improve the
> situation for software in the Sorbian languages. Also such "small"
> languages should have software to
> meet the requirements of the modern life.
Yes, agreed, which is why our priority is always trying to find projects
which will produce, if at all possible, mainstream products. It's hard
enough getting folks to change their Windows OS locale settings,
absolutely no chance if you have to tell people to flash a mobile OS.
But if it comes pre-installed, there's at least a chance...

> thank you for the hint. So it would be the best to start with
> LineageOS AOSP?

It doesn't really matter I think

Michael

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Wolf-2
Michael Bauer schrieb:
> Sgrìobh Michael Wolf na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 19:25:
>> But, I tried to ask because I hope Google will decide after all to come into the 21st
>> century.
> Oh they're in the 21st century alright but they're "Do no evil" days seem to be long past

Well, whatever. For Sorbian languages the situation is even more hopeless than for Gaelic and West
Frisian because they do not have a two-letter language code, only a three-letter one.

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Rhoslyn Prys-2
I looked at LineageOs and decided it was too much and unlikley to
happen. However, since Gaël Duval launched the /e/ Foundation, things
look a bit brighter. It's a long shot but there may be use in the
LineageOS translation after all.

https://e.foundation/

I've got the rom running on a Nexus 4, the only Welsh that appears is
the mail client K9 and some aspects of dates.

I've looked at the list of additional software programmes and worked on
some of them. LineageOS is still a huge and uncertain task. Maybe better
to find the smaller apps thet people use day to day on their mobiles?
Signal, K9, etc

Rhos

Ar 09/11/2018 19:32, ysgrifennodd Michael Bauer:

> Sgrìobh Michael Wolf na leanas 09/11/2018 aig 19:25:
>> But, I tried to ask because I hope Google will decide after all to
>> come into the 21st
>> century.
> Oh they're in the 21st century alright but they're "Do no evil" days
> seem to be long past
>
>> Well, perhaps I will translate LinageOS. But, you are right, the
>> target audience of LineageOS will
>> be small then, and there will be very few Sorbian users who will use
>> it. Maybe there will be some
>> enthusiast who badly want to have an OS in Sorbian language. But my
>> tenor is to improve the
>> situation for software in the Sorbian languages. Also such "small"
>> languages should have software to
>> meet the requirements of the modern life.
> Yes, agreed, which is why our priority is always trying to find
> projects which will produce, if at all possible, mainstream products.
> It's hard enough getting folks to change their Windows OS locale
> settings, absolutely no chance if you have to tell people to flash a
> mobile OS. But if it comes pre-installed, there's at least a chance...
>
>> thank you for the hint. So it would be the best to start with
>> LineageOS AOSP?
>>
> It doesn't really matter I think
>
> Michael

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Bauer-11
Well ... assuming that LineageOS is a bit like what LO is to OO, it
should get enough traction to hit at least some handsets.

But after the seemingly surefire B2G and Ubuntu Mobile, long shots seem
to be all that's left, at least for now. We'll stick with it for now and
see what happens but it's not top priority, admittedly.

We've done K9 but weaning people onto apps like that is a bit sisyphean.
I may well be the only user of K9 in Gaelic :/

Michael

Sgrìobh Rhoslyn Prys na leanas 10/11/2018 aig 14:45:

> I looked at LineageOs and decided it was too much and unlikley to
> happen. However, since Gaël Duval launched the /e/ Foundation, things
> look a bit brighter. It's a long shot but there may be use in the
> LineageOS translation after all.
>
> https://e.foundation/
>
> I've got the rom running on a Nexus 4, the only Welsh that appears is
> the mail client K9 and some aspects of dates.
>
> I've looked at the list of additional software programmes and worked
> on some of them. LineageOS is still a huge and uncertain task. Maybe
> better to find the smaller apps thet people use day to day on their
> mobiles? Signal, K9, etc
>
> Rhos

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Ibrahima Sarr
Hi all,
This is a very interesting conversation. And I am not surprised to see once
again, the unremitting efforts Michael has been and is bearing for "small"
languages. And a language cannot even be small no matter how many people
speak it.
I have always been trying to find a way to have Android in Fulah (ff, 45+
million speakers, maybe around 7 to 10 million literate.
There was a program called Google in your language a few years ago. We
started there cause we were told you had to complete that and have Google
apps in your language before they consider including your language on
Android.
That stopped suddenly and even the website vanished, including the forum.
Everything was lost!
I know about Lineage OS on Crowdin, but my request to include Fulah has
never been answered! There's also the Asus ThenUI but no answer either.
I am still scratching my head...
I will explore the few paths proposed here because I still have no idea how
to contact Google about that.
If anybody knows...

Have a good day
Ibrahima Sarr

Le sam. 10 nov. 2018 à 16:22, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Well ... assuming that LineageOS is a bit like what LO is to OO, it
> should get enough traction to hit at least some handsets.
>
> But after the seemingly surefire B2G and Ubuntu Mobile, long shots seem
> to be all that's left, at least for now. We'll stick with it for now and
> see what happens but it's not top priority, admittedly.
>
> We've done K9 but weaning people onto apps like that is a bit sisyphean.
> I may well be the only user of K9 in Gaelic :/
>
> Michael
>
> Sgrìobh Rhoslyn Prys na leanas 10/11/2018 aig 14:45:
> > I looked at LineageOs and decided it was too much and unlikley to
> > happen. However, since Gaël Duval launched the /e/ Foundation, things
> > look a bit brighter. It's a long shot but there may be use in the
> > LineageOS translation after all.
> >
> > https://e.foundation/
> >
> > I've got the rom running on a Nexus 4, the only Welsh that appears is
> > the mail client K9 and some aspects of dates.
> >
> > I've looked at the list of additional software programmes and worked
> > on some of them. LineageOS is still a huge and uncertain task. Maybe
> > better to find the smaller apps thet people use day to day on their
> > mobiles? Signal, K9, etc
> >
> > Rhos

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Romi Hardiyanto
Unless there is a legal requirement to include specific language in
your region for software and/or hardware distribution, any attempts to
contact Google to include X language in the Android OS would probably
useless (for now).

Even if you completed the translation of the AOSP parts, there are
much larger parts of "Android" softwares and support documentss that
needs to be translated/localized: the Google apps (not that GSuite).
I'm pretty sure they have armies of vendors translating them.
And then there are device makers (with those extra built-in apps),
they have the final says which Android version (and the translation)
is going to land on their devices. One translated string ends up in
Samsung devices may not necessarily ends up in Motorola devices for
example, even they are marketed as the same Android Pie version.

--
romi

Pada tanggal Sel, 13 Nov 2018 pukul 06.02 Ibrahima SARR
<[hidden email]> menulis:

> Hi all,
> This is a very interesting conversation. And I am not surprised to see once
> again, the unremitting efforts Michael has been and is bearing for "small"
> languages. And a language cannot even be small no matter how many people
> speak it.
> I have always been trying to find a way to have Android in Fulah (ff, 45+
> million speakers, maybe around 7 to 10 million literate.
> There was a program called Google in your language a few years ago. We
> started there cause we were told you had to complete that and have Google
> apps in your language before they consider including your language on
> Android.
> That stopped suddenly and even the website vanished, including the forum.
> Everything was lost!
> I know about Lineage OS on Crowdin, but my request to include Fulah has
> never been answered! There's also the Asus ThenUI but no answer either.
> I am still scratching my head...
> I will explore the few paths proposed here because I still have no idea how
> to contact Google about that.
> If anybody knows...
>
> Have a good day
> Ibrahima Sarr
>
> Le sam. 10 nov. 2018 à 16:22, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Well ... assuming that LineageOS is a bit like what LO is to OO, it
> > should get enough traction to hit at least some handsets.
> >
> > But after the seemingly surefire B2G and Ubuntu Mobile, long shots seem
> > to be all that's left, at least for now. We'll stick with it for now and
> > see what happens but it's not top priority, admittedly.
> >
> > We've done K9 but weaning people onto apps like that is a bit sisyphean.
> > I may well be the only user of K9 in Gaelic :/
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > Sgrìobh Rhoslyn Prys na leanas 10/11/2018 aig 14:45:
> > > I looked at LineageOs and decided it was too much and unlikley to
> > > happen. However, since Gaël Duval launched the /e/ Foundation, things
> > > look a bit brighter. It's a long shot but there may be use in the
> > > LineageOS translation after all.
> > >
> > > https://e.foundation/
> > >
> > > I've got the rom running on a Nexus 4, the only Welsh that appears is
> > > the mail client K9 and some aspects of dates.
> > >
> > > I've looked at the list of additional software programmes and worked
> > > on some of them. LineageOS is still a huge and uncertain task. Maybe
> > > better to find the smaller apps thet people use day to day on their
> > > mobiles? Signal, K9, etc
> > >
> > > Rhos

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Rhoslyn Prys-3
Maybe now is a good time to say thanks to Mozilla for giving us the
resources to enable it's products to be available in our languages.
(Even though it does crazy things at times ;-) )

Thanks! :-)

Ar 13/11/2018 08:05, ysgrifennodd Romi Hardiyanto:

> Unless there is a legal requirement to include specific language in
> your region for software and/or hardware distribution, any attempts to
> contact Google to include X language in the Android OS would probably
> useless (for now).
>
> Even if you completed the translation of the AOSP parts, there are
> much larger parts of "Android" softwares and support documentss that
> needs to be translated/localized: the Google apps (not that GSuite).
> I'm pretty sure they have armies of vendors translating them.
> And then there are device makers (with those extra built-in apps),
> they have the final says which Android version (and the translation)
> is going to land on their devices. One translated string ends up in
> Samsung devices may not necessarily ends up in Motorola devices for
> example, even they are marketed as the same Android Pie version.
>
> --
> romi
>

> Pada tanggal Sel, 13 Nov 2018 pukul 06.02 Ibrahima SARR
> <[hidden email]> menulis:
>> Hi all,
>> This is a very interesting conversation. And I am not surprised to see once
>> again, the unremitting efforts Michael has been and is bearing for "small"
>> languages. And a language cannot even be small no matter how many people
>> speak it.
>> I have always been trying to find a way to have Android in Fulah (ff, 45+
>> million speakers, maybe around 7 to 10 million literate.
>> There was a program called Google in your language a few years ago. We
>> started there cause we were told you had to complete that and have Google
>> apps in your language before they consider including your language on
>> Android.
>> That stopped suddenly and even the website vanished, including the forum.
>> Everything was lost!
>> I know about Lineage OS on Crowdin, but my request to include Fulah has
>> never been answered! There's also the Asus ThenUI but no answer either.
>> I am still scratching my head...
>> I will explore the few paths proposed here because I still have no idea how
>> to contact Google about that.
>> If anybody knows...
>>
>> Have a good day
>> Ibrahima Sarr
>>
>> Le sam. 10 nov. 2018 à 16:22, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> Well ... assuming that LineageOS is a bit like what LO is to OO, it
>>> should get enough traction to hit at least some handsets.
>>>
>>> But after the seemingly surefire B2G and Ubuntu Mobile, long shots seem
>>> to be all that's left, at least for now. We'll stick with it for now and
>>> see what happens but it's not top priority, admittedly.
>>>
>>> We've done K9 but weaning people onto apps like that is a bit sisyphean.
>>> I may well be the only user of K9 in Gaelic :/
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> Sgrìobh Rhoslyn Prys na leanas 10/11/2018 aig 14:45:

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Bauer-11
Like Chrome-based projects (such as Vivaldi) that's the reason why there
are usually two parts, the stock parts of Chrome (or in this case
Android) and the strings specific to the project, like Vivaldi or
Lineage specific strings.

For most end users, the support documents are pretty much a case of
who-cares, there can't be many people who hit "Help" these days rather
than just to google their problem on the internet. So for us that is
definitely NOT a dealbreaker.

And yes, you don't get all the stuff that normally comes with stock
Android but for many of us, even a partly localized phone is a big step
forward...

Michael

Sgrìobh Romi Hardiyanto na leanas 13/11/2018 aig 08:05:
> Even if you completed the translation of the AOSP parts, there are
> much larger parts of "Android" softwares and support documentss that
> needs to be translated/localized:

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Michael Bauer-11

Sgrìobh Ibrahima SARR na leanas 13/11/2018 aig 05:02:

> I have always been trying to find a way to have Android in Fulah (ff,
> 45+ million speakers, maybe around 7 to 10 million literate.
> There was a program called Google in your language a few years ago. We
> started there cause we were told you had to complete that and have
> Google apps in your language before they consider including your
> language on Android.
> That stopped suddenly and even the website vanished, including the
> forum. Everything was lost!
Yes, I got kicked in the teeth there as well.
> I know about Lineage OS on Crowdin, but my request to include Fulah
> has never been answered! There's also the Asus ThenUI but no answer
> either.
> I am still scratching my head...
Try again, their admins are getting better at responding, maybe cc me
("akerbeltz", as usual) - it took us a while too, they don't bar anyone
as far as I know, they're just short of admins I think.
> I will explore the few paths proposed here because I still have no
> idea how to contact Google about that.
> If anybody knows...
Best as I can tell, it's a bit like Apple and Hawai'ian. If someone high
in your language community happens to have a relative or good friend in
the right place, you've got a way in. Or if Google has a physical office
in a place and you manage to get a government official to to twist the
arm of the right people. I think that's how Irish got back in, Google
has offices in Dublin...

I pretty much consider Apple and Google lost causes unless we get some
kind of pan-EU digital language rights bill that forces them to at least
open up localization to community translation efforts.

Michael

Re: Übersetzung von Android

Eduardo Trápani
> I pretty much consider Apple and Google lost causes unless we get some
> kind of pan-EU digital language rights bill that forces them to at least
> open up localization to community translation efforts.

That would be great.

 > Maybe now is a good time to say thanks to Mozilla for giving us the
resources to enable it's products to be available in our languages.

Yes, indeed, it is! They did not just "open up to community
translations" from the very beginning, they actually support us with
software, hardware, training and human resources.