Turntable sale

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Ed Mullen graced us with on
5/31/2016 5:55 PM:

> On 5/31/2016 at 5:54 PM, Sailfish's fingers rattled off:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 5/31/2016
>> 10:56 AM:

>>> You kids could get serious money for that stuff on eBay.  Not that I'm
>>> advising you to part with it -- I'm just saying.
>>
>> Back in the day, Sony's were considered the most reliable but there was
>> always a competitiveness on the high end between the TEACs and AKAIs.
>> The thing is, I still have maybe 200 music reels that I was able to
>> freely record in my off-duty time, not that anyone would be all that
>> interested anymore.
>>
>> I've allocated the AKAI to my eldest boy. It's a nice looking piece of
>> furniture with its cherry would enclosure but it does take up a lot of
>> footprint. Maybe he'll make buck's on it when I finally:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57UR-oIE_g
>>

> That's funny.
>
> We're building a new house.  My wife made us plan to put the TEAC 2300
> on the built-in cabinet in the family room. No, not connected, just as a
> kind of antique statement.
>
> Whatever.  I'm fine with it.  It's our last house so whatever she wants
> is fine with me after 45 years.
>
> LOL ... but I am looking forward to seeing that TEAC in this rather
> expensive family room.  I mean, okay, maybe it's an antique, maybe not.
> ;-)
>
> Still It'll probably look cool.

Yep, my original purchase was an AKAI 355D but it wasn't much of a
furniture piece and couldn't compete with the looks of the TEAC so I
sold it and picked up the 360D.

Oh, follies of youth.

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

Terry
On 5/31/2016 5:01 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

>> On 5/31/2016 12:28 AM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard
>>> On 5/30/2016 at 2:33 PM, Mike Easter's fingers rattled off:

>>> I have a 1970s Pioneer direct-drive turntable, still in use.  Stylus on
>>> the (oops, can't remember the make of the cartridge) is still low on
>>> usage.  Last vinyle I bought about two years ago.
>> I have a Technics SL-10 direct-drive turntable.
>>
>>> I have a favorite song that I play once in a while, mostly when the wife
>>> is out.  I crank the volume.  The powered sub-woofers in the Definitive
>>> speakers create standing waves in the toilet in the powder room.  Have a
>>> few drinks and it's fun to watch! :-D
>>>
>>> Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still functional.
>> I still have a Teac 3340 4 channel, which we used to record during
>> rehearsals and gigs.  And JBL L-300 studio monitors driven by a QSC 1602
>> amp.  Also still using my SAE preamp, but the SAE amp gave out about ten
>> years ago, and there were no parts to repair it.
>
> We still have the tube power amps that hubby built back in the late 50s,
> along with the Navy PA horns he used for mid-range.  Theory has it that
> tube amps, along with bigger cables, give a 'warmer' sound.  One born
> every minute...
>
> Are we Old Farts or what?

I had an Ampeg SVT, which was a 300 watt RMS tube amp.  It drove 16-10"
speakers.  It's sound was incredible.  But it cost me $100 a year to
replace the tubes and have it calibrated.  Something no one knew or was
mentioned when buying.  When I knew I was no longer going to haul it
around for gigs, I sold it for $300 more than I purchased it for in
1970.  It's always hard to let go of the past...

Re: Turntable sale

Andy-66
I have done recording professionally for many years and you develop an ear
for music.
my old friend did some mp3's of his favorite songs i could not belve the
loss in quality that to his ears sounded grate.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"The Real Bev" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On 05/31/2016 10:44 PM, Andy wrote:
>> No youre good old school hi fi lovers who know the value of old
>> equipment:)
>> compared to some of to days modern trash they call stereo equipment.
>
> My ears are sufficiently insensitive that cheap equipment has always been
> good enough for me -- unlike my husband, who can hear earthquakes before
> they happen :-(
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev

Re: Turntable sale

Terry
On 6/1/2016 9:07 PM On a whim, Andy pounded out on the keyboard

> I have done recording professionally for many years and you develop an ear
> for music.
> my old friend did some mp3's of his favorite songs i could not belve the
> loss in quality that to his ears sounded grate.

All depends on the sample rate used and the quality of the system its
played on.  If you want small files, one uses a small bit rate of 128 of
less.  If you want quality, you use the largest bit rate your software
supports.  Playing either on a lousy system (like a phone) will sound
the same.  Only with a "hi-fi" system is the poor quality of a low bit
rate exposed.

Some people just don't have the hearing to be an audio engineer or
soundman.  I've heard way too many people attempting to mix that may
roll off bass because their hearing is limited in upper frequencies.
That's very common.

Terry

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 6/2/2016 2:50 PM:

<snip />

> Some people just don't have the hearing to be an audio engineer or
> soundman.  I've heard way too many people attempting to mix that may
> roll off bass because their hearing is limited in upper frequencies.
> That's very common.

REF: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

[excerpt quote=\"
Unfortunately, there is no point to distributing music in 24-bit/192kHz
format. Its playback fidelity is slightly inferior to 16/44.1 or 16/48,
and it takes up 6 times the space.

There was a time in the 1990s when I could identify every major mp3
encoder by sound (back when they were all pretty bad), and could
demonstrate this reliably in double-blind testing.
\" /]

fwiw, another school of thought.

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on 6/2/2016
8:43 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 6/2/2016 2:50 PM:
>
> <snip />
>>
>> Some people just don't have the hearing to be an audio engineer or
>> soundman.  I've heard way too many people attempting to mix that may
>> roll off bass because their hearing is limited in upper frequencies.
>> That's very common.
>>
> REF: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> Unfortunately, there is no point to distributing music in 24-bit/192kHz
> format. Its playback fidelity is slightly inferior to 16/44.1 or 16/48,
> and it takes up 6 times the space.

> There was a time in the 1990s when I could identify every major mp3
> encoder by sound (back when they were all pretty bad), and could
> demonstrate this reliably in double-blind testing.
> \" /]
>
> fwiw, another school of thought.

REF: http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_16vs8bit.php

In fact (and I'll freely admit that my personal results could be due to
my youthful hearing mistreatment) but I was lucky to differentiate the
8bit vs. 16bit audio tests from the above link.

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

Andy-66
Actualy the best mp3 sounds like crap compared to the lossless Mp4 or the
new fomats out.
keep in mind my audio system cost me when new over 10 grand .

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
<[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On 6/1/2016 9:07 PM On a whim, Andy pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> I have done recording professionally for many years and you develop an
>> ear
>> for music.
>> my old friend did some mp3's of his favorite songs i could not belve the
>> loss in quality that to his ears sounded grate.
>>

> All depends on the sample rate used and the quality of the system its
> played on.  If you want small files, one uses a small bit rate of 128 of
> less.  If you want quality, you use the largest bit rate your software
> supports.  Playing either on a lousy system (like a phone) will sound the
> same.  Only with a "hi-fi" system is the poor quality of a low bit rate
> exposed.
>
> Some people just don't have the hearing to be an audio engineer or
> soundman.  I've heard way too many people attempting to mix that may roll
> off bass because their hearing is limited in upper frequencies. That's
> very common.
>
> Terry

Re: Turntable sale

Terry
On 6/2/2016 11:20 PM On a whim, Andy pounded out on the keyboard

> Actualy the best mp3 sounds like crap compared to the lossless Mp4 or the
> new fomats out.
> keep in mind my audio system cost me when new over 10 grand .

The "best mp3" I don't believe sound like crap. And my hearing is pretty
sensitive.

Cost is relative now days I think.  My system was the best money could
buy at one time, but I didn't pay retail for any of it.  I'm not a
single guy any more trying to impress people, so our array of speakers
throughout the house provide nice sound where we want it.  To my wife's
disappointment, my JBL L-300's are still in the living room, and I can

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 6/3/2016 11:59 AM:

> On 6/2/2016 11:20 PM On a whim, Andy pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Actualy the best mp3 sounds like crap compared to the lossless Mp4 or the
>> new fomats out.
>> keep in mind my audio system cost me when new over 10 grand .
>>

> The "best mp3" I don't believe sound like crap. And my hearing is pretty
> sensitive.
>
> Cost is relative now days I think.  My system was the best money could
> buy at one time, but I didn't pay retail for any of it.  I'm not a
> single guy any more trying to impress people, so our array of speakers
> throughout the house provide nice sound where we want it.  To my wife's
> disappointment, my JBL L-300's are still in the living room, and I can

+1

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

Andy-66
Agree with F1

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Sailfish" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us with
> on 6/3/2016 11:59 AM:
>> On 6/2/2016 11:20 PM On a whim, Andy pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> Actualy the best mp3 sounds like crap compared to the lossless Mp4 or
>>> the
>>> new fomats out.
>>> keep in mind my audio system cost me when new over 10 grand .
>>>

>> The "best mp3" I don't believe sound like crap. And my hearing is pretty
>> sensitive.
>>
>> Cost is relative now days I think.  My system was the best money could
>> buy at one time, but I didn't pay retail for any of it.  I'm not a single
>> guy any more trying to impress people, so our array of speakers
>> throughout the house provide nice sound where we want it.  To my wife's
>> disappointment, my JBL L-300's are still in the living room, and I can go
>> back to memory lane whenever I like.  ;-)
>
> +1
>
> --
> Sailfish
> Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/lcey2ex