Turntable sale

Mike Easter-2
I allow a local electronics storefront Fry's to spam me with specials
which are sometimes surprising.

Today I see a 3-speed belt driven turntable for vinyl records on sale
for $25.  Power: external AC adapter for 5V DC; connectivity RCA plugs,
cartridge ceramic stereo w/ stylus.

Altho' I still have an ancient Garrard in the garage and don't currently
play any vinyl, that is a pretty economical way for those who are into
vinyl to get something to play it.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Mike Easter graced us with on
5/30/2016 11:33 AM:

> I allow a local electronics storefront Fry's to spam me with specials
> which are sometimes surprising.
>
> Today I see a 3-speed belt driven turntable for vinyl records on sale
> for $25.  Power: external AC adapter for 5V DC; connectivity RCA plugs,
> cartridge ceramic stereo w/ stylus.
>
> Altho' I still have an ancient Garrard in the garage and don't currently
> play any vinyl, that is a pretty economical way for those who are into
> vinyl to get something to play it.

When I lived in SoCal, there was a Fry's less than 3 miles away and I'd
visit it at least 3 times a month. Now that I'm on the central coast,
I'm several hours away (north and south) from the nearest one and so I
haven't been in one for several years now.

However, even if I were close, back then were the PC halcyon days and I
was always interested in upgrading my computer and trying, mostly in
vain, to acquire a cheap but reliably compatible Sound Blaster card :-)

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

Mike Easter-2
Sailfish wrote:
> When I lived in SoCal, there was a Fry's less than 3 miles away and I'd
> visit it at least 3 times a month. Now that I'm on the central coast,
> I'm several hours away (north and south) from the nearest one and so I
> haven't been in one for several years now.

I used to go a lot more than I do now.  There are actually 2 big stores
close to me, one closer than the other.

> However, even if I were close, back then were the PC halcyon days and I
> was always interested in upgrading my computer and trying, mostly in
> vain, to acquire a cheap but reliably compatible Sound Blaster card :-)

For such types of pure hardware 'pieces', if Fry's doesn't have the item
or doesn't have it on sale, I found it better (for some metric of
better) to search and shop online.

The wp has a very extensive history of those SoundBlaster cards by
generation.

Generally I like to buy most electronic things at a local storefront if
at all possible.  Fry's has an excellent return policy; and when
something is bought online, if it needs to be returned or otherwise
'adjusted', it is a big hassle.  WalMart also has an excellent return
policy, and nowadays they have a system by which one can order something
online, pick it up at the storefront pretty soon, and can return it to
the storefront if necessary.  In that sense, it beats something like the
Amazon method, except that the local WalMart isn't very 'adept' at
pulling that off as well as they could.

However, I think it is a big mistake for people to 'shop' at an
electronics store like Fry's in the hopes that the sales people can
advise them 'technically'.  A significantly high percentage of those
sales people don't know what they are talking about, so their advice
isn't worth listening to.  Ideally one would know 'everything' about
what they went in to buy and optimally would also know whether it was in
stock and what was the price.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Mike Easter graced us with on
5/30/2016 12:40 PM:

<snip>

> Generally I like to buy most electronic things at a local storefront if
> at all possible.  Fry's has an excellent return policy; and when
> something is bought online, if it needs to be returned or otherwise
> 'adjusted', it is a big hassle.  WalMart also has an excellent return
> policy, and nowadays they have a system by which one can order something
> online, pick it up at the storefront pretty soon, and can return it to
> the storefront if necessary.  In that sense, it beats something like the
> Amazon method, except that the local WalMart isn't very 'adept' at
> pulling that off as well as they could.

I've found most local stores really gouge one when it comes to things
like cables and mice so I order them either at Amazon since I get free
shipping and if I check the box to relax the 2-day delivery, Amazon
gives me a $1 digital credit that I can use for Kindle books, MP3s movie
rentals and the like. As with Frys, the return policy is very liberal.

> However, I think it is a big mistake for people to 'shop' at an
> electronics store like Fry's in the hopes that the sales people can
> advise them 'technically'.  A significantly high percentage of those
> sales people don't know what they are talking about, so their advice
> isn't worth listening to.  Ideally one would know 'everything' about
> what they went in to buy and optimally would also know whether it was in
> stock and what was the price.

Yeah, Best Buy's Geek Squad is the industry's worst, imo. Not only
aren't they knowledgeable, they aggressively try to upsale unnecessary
stuff to you.

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

WaltS48-3
On 05/30/2016 08:40 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> Yeah, Best Buy's Geek Squad is the industry's worst, imo. Not only
> aren't they knowledgeable, they aggressively try to upsale unnecessary
> stuff to you.

I worked at an OfficeMax for a short time. There is too much stuff to be
really knowledgeable about it all.

The idea is to sell extended warranties, accessories and whatever.

Bosses got mad when we didn't.

--

*Go Pens!*
*Go Bucs!*

Re: Turntable sale

The Real Bev
On 05/30/2016 12:09 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Mike Easter graced us with on
> 5/30/2016 11:33 AM:
>> I allow a local electronics storefront Fry's to spam me with specials
>> which are sometimes surprising.
>>
>> Today I see a 3-speed belt driven turntable for vinyl records on sale
>> for $25.  Power: external AC adapter for 5V DC; connectivity RCA plugs,
>> cartridge ceramic stereo w/ stylus.
>>
>> Altho' I still have an ancient Garrard in the garage and don't currently
>> play any vinyl, that is a pretty economical way for those who are into
>> vinyl to get something to play it.

Get one that converts to mp3 or flac or something.

> When I lived in SoCal, there was a Fry's less than 3 miles away and I'd
> visit it at least 3 times a month. Now that I'm on the central coast,
> I'm several hours away (north and south) from the nearest one and so I
> haven't been in one for several years now.

Closest is 15 miles away, and we have to return perhaps 1/3 of the stuff
we buy -- so the cost of gas frequently negates the savings.  I'm
convinced that much -- perhaps most -- of what they sell is factory
seconds, but I can't prove it.

> However, even if I were close, back then were the PC halcyon days and I
> was always interested in upgrading my computer and trying, mostly in
> vain, to acquire a cheap but reliably compatible Sound Blaster card :-)

Best Buy is just across the street, and their sale prices on stuff are
excellent.  Regular prices, however, suck.  And anybody who buys cables
from them rather than one of the Chinese companies needs to plan ahead more.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 5/30/2016
6:13 PM:

> On 05/30/2016 08:40 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Yeah, Best Buy's Geek Squad is the industry's worst, imo. Not only
>> aren't they knowledgeable, they aggressively try to upsale unnecessary
>> stuff to you.
>
> I worked at an OfficeMax for a short time. There is too much stuff to be
> really knowledgeable about it all.
>
> The idea is to sell extended warranties, accessories and whatever.
>
> Bosses got mad when we didn't.

Yep; especially for electronics stuff. I had bought a few a couple of
times until I discovered SquareTrade.com and found I could get a better
warranty for at least 40% cheaper.

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/30/2016 at 2:33 PM, Mike Easter's fingers rattled off:

> I allow a local electronics storefront Fry's to spam me with specials
> which are sometimes surprising.
>
> Today I see a 3-speed belt driven turntable for vinyl records on sale
> for $25.  Power: external AC adapter for 5V DC; connectivity RCA plugs,
> cartridge ceramic stereo w/ stylus.
>
> Altho' I still have an ancient Garrard in the garage and don't currently
> play any vinyl, that is a pretty economical way for those who are into
> vinyl to get something to play it.

I have a 1970s Pioneer direct-drive turntable, still in use.  Stylus on
the (oops, can't remember the make of the cartridge) is still low on
usage.  Last vinyle I bought about two years ago.

I have a favorite song that I play once in a while, mostly when the wife
is out.  I crank the volume.  The powered sub-woofers in the Definitive
speakers create standing waves in the toilet in the powder room.  Have a
few drinks and it's fun to watch! :-D

Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still functional.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Ed Mullen graced us with on
5/31/2016 12:28 AM:

<snip />

> Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still functional.

heh, I still have my 1968 Akai 360D reel-to-reel in the original box.
Haven't played it for decades.

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

PietB
Ed Mullen wrote:
> I have a favorite song that I play once in a while, mostly when the wife
> is out.  I crank the volume.  The powered sub-woofers in the Definitive
> speakers create standing waves in the toilet in the powder room.  Have a
> few drinks and it's fun to watch! :-D

A couple of hi-alco beverages may induce the same effect. :-)

-p

Re: Turntable sale

The Real Bev
On 05/31/2016 12:28 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 5/30/2016 at 2:33 PM, Mike Easter's fingers rattled off:
>> I allow a local electronics storefront Fry's to spam me with specials
>> which are sometimes surprising.
>>
>> Today I see a 3-speed belt driven turntable for vinyl records on sale
>> for $25.  Power: external AC adapter for 5V DC; connectivity RCA plugs,
>> cartridge ceramic stereo w/ stylus.
>>
>> Altho' I still have an ancient Garrard in the garage and don't currently
>> play any vinyl, that is a pretty economical way for those who are into
>> vinyl to get something to play it.
>
> I have a 1970s Pioneer direct-drive turntable, still in use.  Stylus on
> the (oops, can't remember the make of the cartridge) is still low on
> usage.  Last vinyle I bought about two years ago.
>
> I have a favorite song that I play once in a while, mostly when the wife
> is out.  I crank the volume.  The powered sub-woofers in the Definitive
> speakers create standing waves in the toilet in the powder room.  Have a
> few drinks and it's fun to watch! :-D
>
> Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still functional.

We built -- from scratch -- a functional copy of an Ampex 11" tape deck
back in he early 60s.  2 years of my life that I'll never get back.  The
relay system was staggeringly complex and was the first thing to break
down.  Still, it was really pretty and would spin huge reels of the thin
tape lock to lock in under a minute without throwing or breaking tape.

We have a Teac of some sort, which we used to transfer our pre-recorded
classical R2R tapes to mp3.  One of these days we're going to either
find a collector or give them to the library.

--
Ch  rs, B v

Re: Turntable sale

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ed Mullen graced us with on
> 5/31/2016 12:28 AM:
>
> <snip />
> >
> > Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still
> > functional.
> heh, I still have my 1968 Akai 360D reel-to-reel in the original box.
> Haven't played it for decades.

You kids could get serious money for that stuff on eBay.  Not that I'm
advising you to part with it -- I'm just saying.

Re: Turntable sale

Terry
On 5/31/2016 12:28 AM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

> On 5/30/2016 at 2:33 PM, Mike Easter's fingers rattled off:
>> I allow a local electronics storefront Fry's to spam me with specials
>> which are sometimes surprising.
>>
>> Today I see a 3-speed belt driven turntable for vinyl records on sale
>> for $25.  Power: external AC adapter for 5V DC; connectivity RCA plugs,
>> cartridge ceramic stereo w/ stylus.
>>
>> Altho' I still have an ancient Garrard in the garage and don't currently
>> play any vinyl, that is a pretty economical way for those who are into
>> vinyl to get something to play it.
>>

> I have a 1970s Pioneer direct-drive turntable, still in use.  Stylus on
> the (oops, can't remember the make of the cartridge) is still low on
> usage.  Last vinyle I bought about two years ago.

I have a Technics SL-10 direct-drive turntable.

> I have a favorite song that I play once in a while, mostly when the wife
> is out.  I crank the volume.  The powered sub-woofers in the Definitive
> speakers create standing waves in the toilet in the powder room.  Have a
> few drinks and it's fun to watch! :-D
>
> Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still functional.

I still have a Teac 3340 4 channel, which we used to record during
rehearsals and gigs.  And JBL L-300 studio monitors driven by a QSC 1602
amp.  Also still using my SAE preamp, but the SAE amp gave out about ten
years ago, and there were no parts to repair it.

Terry

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 5/31/2016
10:56 AM:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ed Mullen graced us with on
>> 5/31/2016 12:28 AM:
>>
>> <snip />
>>> Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still
>>> functional.
>> heh, I still have my 1968 Akai 360D reel-to-reel in the original box.
>> Haven't played it for decades.
>
> You kids could get serious money for that stuff on eBay.  Not that I'm
> advising you to part with it -- I'm just saying.

Back in the day, Sony's were considered the most reliable but there was
always a competitiveness on the high end between the TEACs and AKAIs.
The thing is, I still have maybe 200 music reels that I was able to
freely record in my off-duty time, not that anyone would be all that
interested anymore.

I've allocated the AKAI to my eldest boy. It's a nice looking piece of
furniture with its cherry would enclosure but it does take up a lot of
footprint. Maybe he'll make buck's on it when I finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57UR-oIE_g

--
Sailfish

Re: Turntable sale

The Real Bev
On 05/31/2016 12:40 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 5/31/2016 12:28 AM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard
>> On 5/30/2016 at 2:33 PM, Mike Easter's fingers rattled off:
>>> I allow a local electronics storefront Fry's to spam me with specials
>>> which are sometimes surprising.
>>>
>>> Today I see a 3-speed belt driven turntable for vinyl records on sale
>>> for $25.  Power: external AC adapter for 5V DC; connectivity RCA plugs,
>>> cartridge ceramic stereo w/ stylus.
>>>
>>> Altho' I still have an ancient Garrard in the garage and don't currently
>>> play any vinyl, that is a pretty economical way for those who are into
>>> vinyl to get something to play it.
>>
>> I have a 1970s Pioneer direct-drive turntable, still in use.  Stylus on
>> the (oops, can't remember the make of the cartridge) is still low on
>> usage.  Last vinyle I bought about two years ago.
>
> I have a Technics SL-10 direct-drive turntable.
>
>> I have a favorite song that I play once in a while, mostly when the wife
>> is out.  I crank the volume.  The powered sub-woofers in the Definitive
>> speakers create standing waves in the toilet in the powder room.  Have a
>> few drinks and it's fun to watch! :-D
>>
>> Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still functional.
>
> I still have a Teac 3340 4 channel, which we used to record during
> rehearsals and gigs.  And JBL L-300 studio monitors driven by a QSC 1602
> amp.  Also still using my SAE preamp, but the SAE amp gave out about ten
> years ago, and there were no parts to repair it.

We still have the tube power amps that hubby built back in the late 50s,
along with the Navy PA horns he used for mid-range.  Theory has it that
tube amps, along with bigger cables, give a 'warmer' sound.  One born
every minute...

Are we Old Farts or what?

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Turntable sale

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/31/2016 at 5:54 PM, Sailfish's fingers rattled off:

> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 5/31/2016
> 10:56 AM:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ed Mullen graced us with on
>>> 5/31/2016 12:28 AM:
>>>
>>> <snip />
>>> heh, I still have my 1968 Akai 360D reel-to-reel in the original box.
>>> Haven't played it for decades.
>>
>> You kids could get serious money for that stuff on eBay.  Not that I'm
>> advising you to part with it -- I'm just saying.
>
> Back in the day, Sony's were considered the most reliable but there was
> always a competitiveness on the high end between the TEACs and AKAIs.
> The thing is, I still have maybe 200 music reels that I was able to
> freely record in my off-duty time, not that anyone would be all that
> interested anymore.
>
> I've allocated the AKAI to my eldest boy. It's a nice looking piece of
> furniture with its cherry would enclosure but it does take up a lot of
> footprint. Maybe he'll make buck's on it when I finally:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57UR-oIE_g

That's funny.

We're building a new house.  My wife made us plan to put the TEAC 2300
on the built-in cabinet in the family room. No, not connected, just as a
kind of antique statement.

Whatever.  I'm fine with it.  It's our last house so whatever she wants
is fine with me after 45 years.

LOL ... but I am looking forward to seeing that TEAC in this rather
expensive family room.  I mean, okay, maybe it's an antique, maybe not.  ;-)

Still It'll probably look cool.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Turntable sale

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/31/2016 at 11:50 AM, PietB's fingers rattled off:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> I have a favorite song that I play once in a while, mostly when the wife
>> is out.  I crank the volume.  The powered sub-woofers in the Definitive
>> speakers create standing waves in the toilet in the powder room.  Have a
>> few drinks and it's fun to watch! :-D
>
> A couple of hi-alco beverages may induce the same effect. :-)
>
> -p

Oh, no, not without the massive bass throbs!

Well, okay, I suppose with enough alcohol you could imagine the standing
waves in the toilet bowl.  But geez, how boring if it's not real?

Seriously, until you've heard and seen it you just don't know.

If you want to know the song I'm talking about just ask.

Dang. I want to go downstairs now and crank it up. But the other half is
to bed.  If I do there may be bullets flying!

Crap.

Oh!  Wait!  I can put the headphones on!  I won't actually feel the
rumble and I can't watch the water wobble but I can do temporary damage
to my hearing.  Yeah! Lemme do that!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Turntable sale

Andy-66
No youre good old school hi fi lovers who know the value of old equipment:)
compared to some of to days modern trash they call stereo equipment.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"The Real Bev" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

>> On 5/31/2016 12:28 AM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard
>>> On 5/30/2016 at 2:33 PM, Mike Easter's fingers rattled off:

>>> I have a 1970s Pioneer direct-drive turntable, still in use.  Stylus on
>>> the (oops, can't remember the make of the cartridge) is still low on
>>> usage.  Last vinyle I bought about two years ago.
>>
>> I have a Technics SL-10 direct-drive turntable.
>>
>>> I have a favorite song that I play once in a while, mostly when the wife
>>> is out.  I crank the volume.  The powered sub-woofers in the Definitive
>>> speakers create standing waves in the toilet in the powder room.  Have a
>>> few drinks and it's fun to watch! :-D
>>>
>>> Hmm.  Also have a 1975 TEAC 2300 open reel tape deck, still functional.
>>
>> I still have a Teac 3340 4 channel, which we used to record during
>> rehearsals and gigs.  And JBL L-300 studio monitors driven by a QSC 1602
>> amp.  Also still using my SAE preamp, but the SAE amp gave out about ten
>> years ago, and there were no parts to repair it.
>
> We still have the tube power amps that hubby built back in the late 50s,
> along with the Navy PA horns he used for mid-range.  Theory has it that
> tube amps, along with bigger cables, give a 'warmer' sound.  One born
> every minute...
>
> Are we Old Farts or what?
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev

Re: Turntable sale

The Real Bev
On 05/31/2016 10:44 PM, Andy wrote:
> No youre good old school hi fi lovers who know the value of old equipment:)
> compared to some of to days modern trash they call stereo equipment.

My ears are sufficiently insensitive that cheap equipment has always
been good enough for me -- unlike my husband, who can hear earthquakes
before they happen :-(

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Turntable sale

Sailfish-4
5/31/2016 5:01 PM:

> Are we Old Farts or what?

Well, when it's put that way, I'd prefer the "or what" :-)

--
Sailfish