Turning Places Off on the Branch

Ben Goodger
We have a bunch of branch users who have been testing places and have
probably added bookmarks to their sqlite db. We need to make a post to
MDN or something similar that tells them to use the new Bookmark Export
function implemented from last night's nightly build and onward...to
export their bookmarks to html so that they can open them again once the
switch is turned off.

We should give the testers about a week to get this done before flipping
the switch off.

Thoughts?

-Ben

Re: Turning Places Off on the Branch

Mike Connor-4
Ben Goodger wrote:
> We have a bunch of branch users who have been testing places and have
> probably added bookmarks to their sqlite db. We need to make a post to
> MDN or something similar that tells them to use the new Bookmark
> Export function implemented from last night's nightly build and
> onward...to export their bookmarks to html so that they can open them
> again once the switch is turned off.
Nightly testers are fully capable of grabbing a trunk nightly to run the
exporter, if they need/want to.  Nightlies are on the
bleeding-and-bruised edge, and some of the hardcore Places users have
already reimported bookmarks a few times to deal with changing backend
bits.  I understand the desire to accomodate these users, but we're in
the endgame and leaving code turned on that we're not going to ship in
two weeks
> We should give the testers about a week to get this done before
> flipping the switch off.
A week puts us at three days before the planned code freeze of May 5th.
I don't think that's at all a reasonable amount of time to ensure that
#ifndef MOZ_PLACES side of the fork isn't hiding anything scary/hard to
track down, we need as much testing on the code we're shipping.

-- Mike

Mike Connor wrote:
> Nightly testers are fully capable of grabbing a trunk nightly to run the
> exporter, if they need/want to.

Nevertheless, we'll need this documentation for our a1 users who will
need to do this migration to get their bookmarks back into a2. It's not
reasonable to assume that no one using a1 has added any bookmarks of
merit during the period between a1 and a2.

> A week puts us at three days before the planned code freeze of May 5th.
> I don't think that's at all a reasonable amount of time to ensure that
> #ifndef MOZ_PLACES side of the fork isn't hiding anything scary/hard to
> track down, we need as much testing on the code we're shipping.

OK, then let's do this Thursday or Friday.

-Ben

Re: Turning Places Off on the Branch

Ben Goodger
Text of MDN post:

Later this week, we will be disabling Places on the 1.8 branch. What
this means for nightly testers is that the bookmarks system will revert
to that used by Firefox 1.x. So that any bookmarks you added since
Places was enabled are carried over into these builds, you need to
export your bookmarks to HTML.

What you should do NOW is download one of these builds: Windows, Mac or
Linux, and then follow these steps:

- Start Firefox
- Open the Places Organizer using Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks...
- Choose File->Export and choose a file to save to
- Open your profile folder and back up your existing bookmarks.html file
- Replace the bookmarks.html file there with the one you exported.

You should do this just before upgrading to a build that has Places
disabled, if you plan on adding any bookmarks between now and then. We
will post again here when Places is disabled and indicate which builds
do NOT have Places.

-Ben

Re: Turning Places Off on the Branch

skierpage (Bugzilla)
What if I jump ship from BonEcho to the latest trunk ("Minefield")
nightly release?  Will the trunk continue to use Places, and is it
compatible with profile data from BonEcho?

I don't know how much you want to promote this, I realize the trunk is
in a pre-alpha state.  I'm just waiting for the flashing amber light...
:-)

Re: Turning Places Off on the Branch

Brett Wilson
[hidden email] wrote:
> What if I jump ship from BonEcho to the latest trunk ("Minefield")
> nightly release?  Will the trunk continue to use Places, and is it
> compatible with profile data from BonEcho?
>
> I don't know how much you want to promote this, I realize the trunk is
> in a pre-alpha state.  I'm just waiting for the flashing amber light...
> :-)

Trunk will continue to use places, and will use your places bookmarks
and history. Places is currently identical between branch and trunk,
we're just stopping the branch version.

Brett

Re: Turning Places Off on the Branch

Boris Zbarsky
[hidden email] wrote:
> I don't know how much you want to promote this, I realize the trunk is
> in a pre-alpha state.  I'm just waiting for the flashing amber light...
> :-)

As a Gecko developer, I'd like to encourage any testing the trunk can get.  ;)

Seriously, if you can try it and file any bugs that make you want to stop using
it and request blocking1.9a? on them, that would be a huge help.

-Boris

Re: Turning Places Off on the Branch

Bugzilla from rickstockton@reno-computerhelp.com
I think would be good to put a message just like your MDN Post right
into the installers (current through a2). That will help to get the
attention of the less frequent testers, such as the "a1 directly to a2
with no nightlies in between" people. I would also add the URL for
/latest1.8/ to the message (and when the time comes, change that URL to
show last date of daily builds with functional
export-bookmarks-from-places).