Trouble in Paradise?

Ron Hunter
I just love it when I read articles like this.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

David Boles-2
On 5/8/2012 11:22 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> I just love it when I read articles like this.
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539

The FUD everywhere on The Internet is so thick that you could cut it
with a knife.  :-)

--

  David

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Bill Braun-3
On 5/8/2012 11:22 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> I just love it when I read articles like this.
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539

But, as the Fiddler on the Roof said, "On the other hand...", the
penultimate paragraph reads:

"And the average user isn’t going to have the wherewithal to be
tweaking, renaming, digging, and otherwise screwing with what should be
their most heavily used application..."

which neatly summarizes a decent chuck of the chronic comments about
Firefox.

And so it goes (quoth Vonnegut).

Bill

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Sailfish-2
5/8/2012 8:22 AM:
> I just love it when I read articles like this.
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539

[excerpt quote="
The only desktop applications I use anymore are Adobe CS6 (which was
just released, totally rocks, and is another story for another day),
Skype, and Evernote, and I’m increasingly using Evernote’s web interface.
" \]

I suspect that he's becoming more than norm than the outlier what with
only relying on a few programs for his computer needs. Further, Evernote
seems like it's centered around the cloud or, minimally, virtual
storage. Just another data point as to why tablets will take over what
used to be desktop/laptop territory, it seems.

Regarding his Google woes, all I can say is, "Man-up!" the web isn't,
and certainly not browsers aren't, like cable TV. It's still evolving
and may it remain so at least another decade.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Tarkus-3
On 5/8/2012 8:22 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> I just love it when I read articles like this.
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539

Shrug.  If you can find a browser without similar complaints, it must
not be popular enough to be relevant.

Chrome works for me.  So does Firefox.  Both have their pluses and
minuses, which is why I have both installed, and not just one or the other.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Was Greywolf
On 08/05/2012 12:37 PM, Sailfish wrote:
[...]
> I suspect that he's becoming more than norm than the outlier what with
> only relying on a few programs for his computer needs. Further, Evernote
> seems like it's centered around the cloud or, minimally, virtual
> storage. Just another data point as to why tablets will take over what
> used to be desktop/laptop territory, it seems.
[...]

As I told my dental hygienist (who loves her Samsung Galaxy) this
morning: I'm waiting for a tablet that does everything a laptop does,
plus it's a phone and HD camera (movie and still), auto-connects to
smart TV, GPS, etc. Should be at most the size of a short paperback
book: 4-1/4" x 6-3/4" x 1/2", or slightly larger than a current smartphone.

Oh yeah, it should have a high intensity flashlight built in, too. And a
slot for a Swiss army knife....

I figure the first one should be out by Christmas. If not, someone is
missing a major opportunity.

Best,
;-)
Wolf K.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

F1Com
On 5/8/2012 9:39 AM On a whim, Tarkus pounded out on the keyboard

> On 5/8/2012 8:22 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> I just love it when I read articles like this.
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539
>
> Shrug.  If you can find a browser without similar complaints, it must
> not be popular enough to be relevant.
>
> Chrome works for me.  So does Firefox.  Both have their pluses and
> minuses, which is why I have both installed, and not just one or the other.

+1

Terry

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Ron Hunter
On 5/8/2012 10:33 AM, David wrote:

> On 5/8/2012 11:22 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> I just love it when I read articles like this.
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539
>

> The FUD everywhere on The Internet is so thick that you could cut it
> with a knife.  :-)

Yes, I sliced off a thick steak yesterday, but it didn't grill well, and
was a bit tough to swallow.  Grin.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Ron Hunter
On 5/8/2012 11:08 AM, Bill Braun wrote:

> On 5/8/2012 11:22 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> I just love it when I read articles like this.
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539
>>

> But, as the Fiddler on the Roof said, "On the other hand...", the
> penultimate paragraph reads:
>
> "And the average user isn’t going to have the wherewithal to be
> tweaking, renaming, digging, and otherwise screwing with what should be
> their most heavily used application..."
>
> which neatly summarizes a decent chuck of the chronic comments about
> Firefox.
>
> And so it goes (quoth Vonnegut).
>
> Bill

I hope all those who are jumping ship from Firefox to other browser read
this.  No program is perfect, and all are going to have problems,
especially with so many users 'picking nits'.  Mike hates the format
flowed problem, and WSJ goes ballistic over the 'check for updates', and
others have claimed to be leaving because they took the link out of the
'throbber'.  You can't win them all.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Greywolf graced us with on 5/8/2012
10:31 AM:

> On 08/05/2012 12:37 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> [...]
>> I suspect that he's becoming more than norm than the outlier what with
>> only relying on a few programs for his computer needs. Further, Evernote
>> seems like it's centered around the cloud or, minimally, virtual
>> storage. Just another data point as to why tablets will take over what
>> used to be desktop/laptop territory, it seems.
> [...]
>
> As I told my dental hygienist (who loves her Samsung Galaxy) this
> morning: I'm waiting for a tablet that does everything a laptop does,
> plus it's a phone and HD camera (movie and still), auto-connects to
> smart TV, GPS, etc. Should be at most the size of a short paperback
> book: 4-1/4" x 6-3/4" x 1/2", or slightly larger than a current smartphone.
>
> Oh yeah, it should have a high intensity flashlight built in, too. And a
> slot for a Swiss army knife....
>
> I figure the first one should be out by Christmas. If not, someone is
> missing a major opportunity.

REF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnADSuF8MA

What! You have no need for this?

On 5/8/2012 11:37 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 5/8/2012 8:22 AM:
>> I just love it when I read articles like this.
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539
>>
> [excerpt quote="
> The only desktop applications I use anymore are Adobe CS6 (which was
> just released, totally rocks, and is another story for another day),
> Skype, and Evernote, and I’m increasingly using Evernote’s web interface.
> " \]
>
> I suspect that he's becoming more than norm than the outlier what with
> only relying on a few programs for his computer needs. Further, Evernote
> seems like it's centered around the cloud or, minimally, virtual
> storage. Just another data point as to why tablets will take over what
> used to be desktop/laptop territory, it seems.
>
> Regarding his Google woes, all I can say is, "Man-up!" the web isn't,
> and certainly not browsers aren't, like cable TV. It's still evolving
> and may it remain so at least another decade.

Laptop, yes, I will probably go to a tablet for my laptop usage in the
future, but it won't replace the desktop machine, for a number of
reasons, size of screen, and convenience of a real keyboard, to name
just two.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Ron Hunter
On 5/8/2012 11:39 AM, Tarkus wrote:

> On 5/8/2012 8:22 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> I just love it when I read articles like this.
>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539
>>

> Shrug.  If you can find a browser without similar complaints, it must
> not be popular enough to be relevant.
>
> Chrome works for me.  So does Firefox.  Both have their pluses and
> minuses, which is why I have both installed, and not just one or the other.

I have Opera, IE9, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox (including Waterfox)
installed.  99.9% of the time, I use Firefox.  NONE of the others are
configurable enough to let me move the forward and back buttons to the
right side of the screen, where my mouse pointer resides most of the
time, so I don't enjoy using them.
Also, none of the others allow addons to change the way the program
works, just the appearance of data.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Sailfish-2
5/8/2012 11:24 AM:

> On 5/8/2012 11:37 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>> 5/8/2012 8:22 AM:
>>> I just love it when I read articles like this.
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/do-i-have-to-leave-google-chrome-behind/3636?tag=nl.e539
>>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> The only desktop applications I use anymore are Adobe CS6 (which was
>> just released, totally rocks, and is another story for another day),
>> Skype, and Evernote, and I’m increasingly using Evernote’s web interface.
>> " \]
>>
>> I suspect that he's becoming more than norm than the outlier what with
>> only relying on a few programs for his computer needs. Further, Evernote
>> seems like it's centered around the cloud or, minimally, virtual
>> storage. Just another data point as to why tablets will take over what
>> used to be desktop/laptop territory, it seems.
>>
>> Regarding his Google woes, all I can say is, "Man-up!" the web isn't,
>> and certainly not browsers aren't, like cable TV. It's still evolving
>> and may it remain so at least another decade.
>>
> Laptop, yes, I will probably go to a tablet for my laptop usage in the
> future, but it won't replace the desktop machine, for a number of
> reasons, size of screen, and convenience of a real keyboard, to name
> just two.

Monitors are attachments now for desktops and many non-iPad tablets come
with an intrinsic HDMI connector. Keyboards are easily attached via USB
or BlueTooth. The thing that stops me currently is that they are so
under-powered, (cpu and video) and the who cloud-centric nature of their
design.

On 5/8/2012 12:31 PM, Greywolf wrote:

> On 08/05/2012 12:37 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> [...]
>> I suspect that he's becoming more than norm than the outlier what with
>> only relying on a few programs for his computer needs. Further, Evernote
>> seems like it's centered around the cloud or, minimally, virtual
>> storage. Just another data point as to why tablets will take over what
>> used to be desktop/laptop territory, it seems.
> [...]
>
> As I told my dental hygienist (who loves her Samsung Galaxy) this
> morning: I'm waiting for a tablet that does everything a laptop does,
> plus it's a phone and HD camera (movie and still), auto-connects to
> smart TV, GPS, etc. Should be at most the size of a short paperback
> book: 4-1/4" x 6-3/4" x 1/2", or slightly larger than a current smartphone.
>
> Oh yeah, it should have a high intensity flashlight built in, too. And a
> slot for a Swiss army knife....
>
> I figure the first one should be out by Christmas. If not, someone is
> missing a major opportunity.
>
> Best,
> ;-)
> Wolf K.
Actually, they are getting pretty close.  The Galaxy S III will be up to
4.8 inches.  No Swiss Army Knife though.  I think the Swiss are
reluctant.  BTW, the iPhone 4 and 4s have a pretty good flashlight. The
4S has a HD video, GPS, connects to the Apple TV hookup, and plays most
of the games the iPad plays.  Like I said, getting close.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Ron Hunter
On 5/8/2012 1:32 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 5/8/2012 11:24 AM:
>> On 5/8/2012 11:37 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 5/8/2012 8:22 AM:
>>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> The only desktop applications I use anymore are Adobe CS6 (which was
>>> just released, totally rocks, and is another story for another day),
>>> Skype, and Evernote, and I’m increasingly using Evernote’s web
>>> interface.
>>> " \]
>>>
>>> I suspect that he's becoming more than norm than the outlier what with
>>> only relying on a few programs for his computer needs. Further, Evernote
>>> seems like it's centered around the cloud or, minimally, virtual
>>> storage. Just another data point as to why tablets will take over what
>>> used to be desktop/laptop territory, it seems.
>>>
>>> Regarding his Google woes, all I can say is, "Man-up!" the web isn't,
>>> and certainly not browsers aren't, like cable TV. It's still evolving
>>> and may it remain so at least another decade.
>>>
>> Laptop, yes, I will probably go to a tablet for my laptop usage in the
>> future, but it won't replace the desktop machine, for a number of
>> reasons, size of screen, and convenience of a real keyboard, to name
>> just two.
>>
> Monitors are attachments now for desktops and many non-iPad tablets come
> with an intrinsic HDMI connector. Keyboards are easily attached via USB
> or BlueTooth. The thing that stops me currently is that they are so
> under-powered, (cpu and video) and the who cloud-centric nature of their
> design.

Hummm.  You can get an adapter for the iPad for HDMI output.  Keyboards
for it attach via Bluetooth, and will also work on the iPhone.  And
there is nothing underpowered about the video in the new iPad.  Yes, the
processors tend to be a bit slow, but look for quad-core machines soon.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Sailfish-2
5/8/2012 11:39 AM:

> On 5/8/2012 1:32 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> Laptop, yes, I will probably go to a tablet for my laptop usage in the
>>> future, but it won't replace the desktop machine, for a number of
>>> reasons, size of screen, and convenience of a real keyboard, to name
>>> just two.
>>>
>> Monitors are attachments now for desktops and many non-iPad tablets come
>> with an intrinsic HDMI connector. Keyboards are easily attached via USB
>> or BlueTooth. The thing that stops me currently is that they are so
>> under-powered, (cpu and video) and the who cloud-centric nature of their
>> design.
>>
> Hummm.  You can get an adapter for the iPad for HDMI output.  Keyboards
> for it attach via Bluetooth, and will also work on the iPhone.  And
> there is nothing underpowered about the video in the new iPad.  Yes, the
> processors tend to be a bit slow, but look for quad-core machines soon.

Re. HDMI-iPad. yeah, as a costly add-on just like a USB adaptor :)

Even the quad-core cpus won't match the horsepower of today's laptop
cpus, let alone desktops. But, one da.

On 08/05/2012 2:22 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Greywolf graced us with on 5/8/2012
> 10:31 AM:
>> On 08/05/2012 12:37 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I suspect that he's becoming more than norm than the outlier what with
>>> only relying on a few programs for his computer needs. Further, Evernote
>>> seems like it's centered around the cloud or, minimally, virtual
>>> storage. Just another data point as to why tablets will take over what
>>> used to be desktop/laptop territory, it seems.
>> [...]
>>
>> As I told my dental hygienist (who loves her Samsung Galaxy) this
>> morning: I'm waiting for a tablet that does everything a laptop does,
>> plus it's a phone and HD camera (movie and still), auto-connects to
>> smart TV, GPS, etc. Should be at most the size of a short paperback
>> book: 4-1/4" x 6-3/4" x 1/2", or slightly larger than a current
>> smartphone.
>>
>> Oh yeah, it should have a high intensity flashlight built in, too. And
>> a slot for a Swiss army knife....
>>
>> I figure the first one should be out by Christmas. If not, someone is
>> missing a major opportunity.
>>
> REF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnADSuF8MA
>
> What! You have no need for this?

LOL

Wolf K.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Was Greywolf
On 08/05/2012 2:39 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> Hummm.  You can get an adapter for the iPad for HDMI output.  Keyboards
> for it attach via Bluetooth, and will also work on the iPhone.  And
> there is nothing underpowered about the video in the new iPad.  Yes, the
> processors tend to be a bit slow, but look for quad-core machines soon.

See: ASUS TF300T-B1-BL Eee Pad Transformer Tablet - Android Ice Cream
Sandwich, NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.2GHz, 1GB DDR3, 32GB Flash Storage, 10.1"
Touch Screen, Dual Webcams, Blue

from tiger direct.

Wolf K.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Ron Hunter
On 5/8/2012 1:44 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 5/8/2012 11:39 AM:
>> On 5/8/2012 1:32 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 5/8/2012 11:24 AM:

>>> Monitors are attachments now for desktops and many non-iPad tablets come
>>> with an intrinsic HDMI connector. Keyboards are easily attached via USB
>>> or BlueTooth. The thing that stops me currently is that they are so
>>> under-powered, (cpu and video) and the who cloud-centric nature of their
>>> design.
>>>
>> Hummm.  You can get an adapter for the iPad for HDMI output.
>> Keyboards for it attach via Bluetooth, and will also work on the
>> iPhone.  And there is nothing underpowered about the video in the new
>> iPad.  Yes, the processors tend to be a bit slow, but look for
>> quad-core machines soon.
>>
> Re. HDMI-iPad. yeah, as a costly add-on just like a USB adaptor :)
>
> Even the quad-core cpus won't match the horsepower of today's laptop
> cpus, let alone desktops. But, one da.

Right now, the limiting factors are battery power density and heat
dissipation.  We badly need a battery with 10 times the current power
density, and no more expensive than current ones.  Solve that problem,
and heat dissipation will be the next hurdle, or vice versa.

Re: Trouble in Paradise?

Ron Hunter
On 5/8/2012 2:20 PM, Greywolf wrote:

> On 08/05/2012 2:22 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Greywolf graced us with on 5/8/2012
>> 10:31 AM:
>>> On 08/05/2012 12:37 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> As I told my dental hygienist (who loves her Samsung Galaxy) this
>>> morning: I'm waiting for a tablet that does everything a laptop does,
>>> plus it's a phone and HD camera (movie and still), auto-connects to
>>> smart TV, GPS, etc. Should be at most the size of a short paperback
>>> book: 4-1/4" x 6-3/4" x 1/2", or slightly larger than a current
>>> smartphone.
>>>
>>> Oh yeah, it should have a high intensity flashlight built in, too. And
>>> a slot for a Swiss army knife....
>>>
>>> I figure the first one should be out by Christmas. If not, someone is
>>> missing a major opportunity.
>>>
>> REF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnADSuF8MA
>>
>> What! You have no need for this?
>
> LOL
>
> Wolf K.

That's very cool, but I wonder how long the batteries last....