Translation of Firefox Help section

Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı-2
Hi,

I'm working on the translation of Firefox help section (Help > Help
Content) and I have a few questions.

1. There are some parameters/variables in help text such as
"&pref.menuPath;". This show the path "Tools > Options". I am unable to
find the file that has this variable and can't localise it.

2. Should I leave copyright notice at the bottom of each help section as
is or translate it? I've seen some of l10n (fr and pl) teams leave it
without any change.

Your help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Serkan

Re: Translation of Firefox Help section

Mark Tyndall
Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on the translation of Firefox help section (Help > Help
> Content) and I have a few questions.
>
> 1. There are some parameters/variables in help text such as
> "&pref.menuPath;". This show the path "Tools > Options". I am unable to
> find the file that has this variable and can't localise it.

If you look at the DOCTYPE at the top of the file, you'll see it
includes a couple of DTDs, and their path.  platformStrings.dtd (in the
"help" directory) is the one which gives you &pref.menuPath etc.

> 2. Should I leave copyright notice at the bottom of each help section as
> is or translate it? I've seen some of l10n (fr and pl) teams leave it
> without any change.

I'm not sure.  Perhaps you could have something like,
      "Original [en-US copyright]
       This Turkish translation © 2006 [whoever]",
but that's merely my opinion.

Axel?

regards,
Mark..

--
British English localisations of:
Mozilla Suite <http://www.tyndall.org.uk/moz_en-gb.html>

Re: Translation of Firefox Help section

Axel Hecht
Mark Tyndall wrote:

> Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on the translation of Firefox help section (Help > Help
>> Content) and I have a few questions.
>>
>> 1. There are some parameters/variables in help text such as
>> "&pref.menuPath;". This show the path "Tools > Options". I am unable
>> to find the file that has this variable and can't localise it.
>
> If you look at the DOCTYPE at the top of the file, you'll see it
> includes a couple of DTDs, and their path.  platformStrings.dtd (in the
> "help" directory) is the one which gives you &pref.menuPath etc.
>
>> 2. Should I leave copyright notice at the bottom of each help section
>> as is or translate it? I've seen some of l10n (fr and pl) teams leave
>> it without any change.
>
> I'm not sure.  Perhaps you could have something like,
>      "Original [en-US copyright]
>       This Turkish translation &copy; 2006 [whoever]",
> but that's merely my opinion.

I have no idea about copyrights in general and in particular, other than
"we consider l10n to be modifications of existing files".

Gerv?

Axel

Re: Translation of Firefox Help section

Benoit-8
Mark Tyndall wrote:
> Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı wrote:
>> 2. Should I leave copyright notice at the bottom of each help section
>> as is or translate it? I've seen some of l10n (fr and pl) teams leave
>> it without any change.
>
> I'm not sure.  Perhaps you could have something like,
>      "Original [en-US copyright]
>       This Turkish translation &copy; 2006 [whoever]",
> but that's merely my opinion.

That's actually what we do in French. We leave the original copyright
notice, but we add below the translation date and a link to our website
where our team members may be credited.

Of course, that's only our opinion on how to be "fair", not a formal
advice :)

Re: Translation of Firefox Help section

Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı-2
Mark Tyndall yazmış:

>> 1. There are some parameters/variables in help text such as
>> "&pref.menuPath;". This show the path "Tools > Options". I am unable
>> to find the file that has this variable and can't localise it.
>
> If you look at the DOCTYPE at the top of the file, you'll see it
> includes a couple of DTDs, and their path.  platformStrings.dtd (in the
> "help" directory) is the one which gives you &pref.menuPath etc.

Thanks! I got it.

On the other hand, I think we'll have to wait for Gerv's answer about
copyright question.

Serkan

Re: Translation of Firefox Help section

Gervase Markham
Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı wrote:
> 2. Should I leave copyright notice at the bottom of each help section as
> is or translate it? I've seen some of l10n (fr and pl) teams leave it
> without any change.

I would translate it so that someone reading it can understand it. It
just say "Copyright by mozilla.org Contributors" or something like that,
right? I assume there is an official Turkish word for "copyright", as
used in law, and you should use that word.

Gerv

Re: Translation of Firefox Help section

Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı-2
Gervase Markham yazmış:

> Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı wrote:
>> 2. Should I leave copyright notice at the bottom of each help section as
>> is or translate it? I've seen some of l10n (fr and pl) teams leave it
>> without any change.
>
> I would translate it so that someone reading it can understand it. It
> just say "Copyright by mozilla.org Contributors" or something like that,
> right? I assume there is an official Turkish word for "copyright", as
> used in law, and you should use that word.
>
> Gerv

OK. I'll say "Telif Hakkı &copy; Mozilla.org'a Katkıda Bulunanlar" which
reads "Copyright &copy; Mozilla.org Contributors".

Serkan