Translation: free and open source software

Translation: free and open source software

Eduardo Trápani
Hi,

For the translation of "%1$s is free and open source software made by
Mozilla and other contributors." some locales went for "free" as in
"free speech", and some for "free" as in "free beer".

Which one should it be for that particular string? (context: Focus for
Android / your_rights_content1)

Eduardo.

Re: Translation: free and open source software

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Il 09/09/17 06.37, Eduardo Trápani ha scritto:
> For the translation of "%1$s is free and open source software made by
> Mozilla and other contributors." some locales went for "free" as in
> "free speech", and some for "free" as in "free beer".
>
> Which one should it be for that particular string? (context: Focus for
> Android / your_rights_content1)

Disclaimer: I don't think we have guidelines for this (I'll try to
figure out if we have any), so this is a strictly personal opinion ;-)

Ideally both concepts should be there. If you want to keep only one,
"free as in speech" seems way more important than "free as in beer".

Side note: the about:rights page for Focus heavily borrows from the
Firefox page. Translation should be consistent
https://transvision.mozfr.org/string/?entity=browser/chrome/browser/aboutHome.dtd:abouthome.rightsSnippet&repo=central

Francesco

Re: Translation: free and open source software

Michal Stanke-2
Hi Eduardo.

For Czech we use free as in "free speech", because it's a consensus in
our language, how to translate "free and open source software". On the
other hand it's true, people usually do not know, what exactly FOSS
mean. :)

Michal

Dne 9.9.2017 v 08:05 Francesco Lodolo [:flod] napsal(a):

> Il 09/09/17 06.37, Eduardo Trápani ha scritto:
>> For the translation of "%1$s is free and open source software made by
>> Mozilla and other contributors." some locales went for "free" as in
>> "free speech", and some for "free" as in "free beer".
>>
>> Which one should it be for that particular string? (context: Focus for
>> Android / your_rights_content1)
>
> Disclaimer: I don't think we have guidelines for this (I'll try to
> figure out if we have any), so this is a strictly personal opinion ;-)
>
> Ideally both concepts should be there. If you want to keep only one,
> "free as in speech" seems way more important than "free as in beer".
>
> Side note: the about:rights page for Focus heavily borrows from the
> Firefox page. Translation should be consistent
> https://transvision.mozfr.org/string/?entity=browser/chrome/browser/aboutHome.dtd:abouthome.rightsSnippet&repo=central
>

> Francesco

Re: Translation: free and open source software

Eduardo Trápani
Yes, I agree that the "free speech" is the most important one. And is a
huge part of what Mozilla is about.

Let's see if Francesco finds a guideline for that and, if not, we could
work one out.

Checking the Wikipedia for the translation of this article might help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software

Or, a bit more authoritative, for many languages we have the GNU page at
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html (language links at the top).

Or the FSF version https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software

I think those would be enough to follow Francesco's personal opinion on
the matter and move into a guideline.

This is not just another string, I feel it is at the core of Mozilla and
has always been, so we should do our best to get it right.

El 09/09/17 a las 06:16, Michal Stanke escribió:

> Hi Eduardo.
>
> For Czech we use free as in "free speech", because it's a consensus in
> our language, how to translate "free and open source software". On the
> other hand it's true, people usually do not know, what exactly FOSS
> mean. :)
>
> Michal
>
> Dne 9.9.2017 v 08:05 Francesco Lodolo [:flod] napsal(a):
>> Il 09/09/17 06.37, Eduardo Trápani ha scritto:
>>> For the translation of "%1$s is free and open source software made by
>>> Mozilla and other contributors." some locales went for "free" as in
>>> "free speech", and some for "free" as in "free beer".
>>>
>>> Which one should it be for that particular string? (context: Focus for
>>> Android / your_rights_content1)
>>
>> Disclaimer: I don't think we have guidelines for this (I'll try to
>> figure out if we have any), so this is a strictly personal opinion ;-)
>>
>> Ideally both concepts should be there. If you want to keep only one,
>> "free as in speech" seems way more important than "free as in beer".
>>
>> Side note: the about:rights page for Focus heavily borrows from the
>> Firefox page. Translation should be consistent
>> https://transvision.mozfr.org/string/?entity=browser/chrome/browser/aboutHome.dtd:abouthome.rightsSnippet&repo=central
>>

>> Francesco

Re: Translation: free and open source software

Fabio Beneditto 神風
Hi!

Here en Brazil we use Free as "Free Speech" (pt_BR: Livre).

There is a lot of difference from "Free Beer" (pt_BR: Grátis).

:wq!

*Fabio Beneditto <http://about.me/fabiobeneditto>* - a.k.a. *KamiKazeNH
<http://blog.altoscodigos.com.br>*
"A vida é mais bela quando vista de cima de uma motocicleta"
"A hacker does for love what anyone will do for money"