TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
I was making my way through this tutorial, which is linked to by MDC,
and found that the examples given don't work in FF.   Is there
something I'm missing here?  They work in IE.

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

Axel Hecht-2
[hidden email] wrote:
> I was making my way through this tutorial, which is linked to by MDC,
> and found that the examples given don't work in FF.   Is there
> something I'm missing here?  They work in IE.

Too lazy to search 5 sites, which tutorial (URL?), where on devmo, which
testcases did you try?

Axel

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
Sorry, should have been more explicit.
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/ws_1.asp
page 4 of 28

"View People XML Document" link about two thirds the way down, which
goes to
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/xslws/Worksheet_1/peoplexsl.xml

Which returns this in FF:
XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location:
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/xslws/Worksheet_1/peoplexsl.xml
Line Number 2, Column 6:<?xml:stylesheet type="text/xsl"
href="people.xsl"?>

Thanks for writing back.

Axel Hecht wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > I was making my way through this tutorial, which is linked to by MDC,
> > and found that the examples given don't work in FF.   Is there
> > something I'm missing here?  They work in IE.
> >

> Too lazy to search 5 sites, which tutorial (URL?), where on devmo, which
> testcases did you try?
>
> Axel

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

Nickolay Ponomarev
On 4 Jun 2006 11:05:38 -0700, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Line Number 2, Column 6:<?xml:stylesheet type="text/xsl"
> href="people.xsl"?>

Well, since it's an obvious typo (should be "xml-stylesheet") on a
site not under our control, why don't you inform topxml.com staff
about it?

Nickolay

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
Sounds like a good idea.  Unfortunately, I don't yet know enough about
this subject for most any typo to be obvious; and, what's more, it
works in IE.  I can't help wondering why.

I'll send the people at TopXML a message.

Nickolay Ponomarev wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2006 11:05:38 -0700, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Line Number 2, Column 6:<?xml:stylesheet type="text/xsl"
> > href="people.xsl"?>
> >
> Well, since it's an obvious typo (should be "xml-stylesheet") on a
> site not under our control, why don't you inform topxml.com staff
> about it?
>
> Nickolay

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

Boris Zbarsky
[hidden email] wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea.  Unfortunately, I don't yet know enough about
> this subject for most any typo to be obvious; and, what's more, it
> works in IE.  I can't help wondering why.

Known bug in IE.

-Boris

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
Let me see if I've got this straight:

It doesn't work in FF because FF see's the error but it works in IE
because IE is blind to the error.

Well, bravo for FF.

[hidden email] wrote:
> Let me see if I've got this straight:
>
> It doesn't work in FF because FF see's the error but it works in IE
> because IE is blind to the error.

More or less.  More precisely, as I understand it, IE implemented an early draft
of a spec, and didn't fix their code when the spec changed before being finalized.

See also item 1 and item 7 at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/faq.html

-Boris

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
It actually got a little worse, or I discovered another bug, when I
changed the xml:stylesheet  to xml-stylesheet.

This is the namespace declaration in the samples given at TopXML
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"

However, within the tutorial, on the same page just a little lower
down, the author correctly states that this is a previous standard and
no longer works.  (As I found to be true.)  The correct namespace is
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"

So, with the stylesheet declaration changed in the xml file and the
namespace declaration changed in the stylesheet file, all is well with
FF and IE.

Thanks for your insight, and I sent a link to this conversation to the
tutorial author.

[hidden email] wrote:

> It actually got a little worse, or I discovered another bug, when I
> changed the xml:stylesheet  to xml-stylesheet.
>
> This is the namespace declaration in the samples given at TopXML
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"
>
> However, within the tutorial, on the same page just a little lower
> down, the author correctly states that this is a previous standard and
> no longer works.  (As I found to be true.)  The correct namespace is
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"
>
> So, with the stylesheet declaration changed in the xml file and the
> namespace declaration changed in the stylesheet file, all is well with
> FF and IE.
>
> Thanks for your insight, and I sent a link to this conversation to the
> tutorial author.

Who added a link to that stuff to devmo? I suggest removing it, the
stuff I heard so far doesn't make me think we should send people there
to learn XSLT.

Axel

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Let me see if I've got this straight:
>>>
>>> It doesn't work in FF because FF see's the error but it works in IE
>>> because IE is blind to the error.
>> More or less.  More precisely, as I understand it, IE implemented an early draft
>> of a spec, and didn't fix their code when the spec changed before being finalized.
>>
>> See also item 1 and item 7 at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/faq.html
>>
>> -Boris

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

Joel-20
Hi Christopher,

I maintain the TopXML website, thanks for notifying us about the error
in the article.
I have corrected the main article, xml file and the xsl stylesheet.  I
have tested it both in Firefox and Internet Explorer and all is working
fine now.

My apologies for the inconvenienced caused.

Thanks,

-Joel
TopXML Support
[hidden email] wrote:

> It actually got a little worse, or I discovered another bug, when I
> changed the xml:stylesheet  to xml-stylesheet.
>
> This is the namespace declaration in the samples given at TopXML
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"
>
> However, within the tutorial, on the same page just a little lower
> down, the author correctly states that this is a previous standard and
> no longer works.  (As I found to be true.)  The correct namespace is
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"
>
> So, with the stylesheet declaration changed in the xml file and the
> namespace declaration changed in the stylesheet file, all is well with
> FF and IE.
>
> Thanks for your insight, and I sent a link to this conversation to the
> tutorial author.
>

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Let me see if I've got this straight:
> > >
> > > It doesn't work in FF because FF see's the error but it works in IE
> > > because IE is blind to the error.
> >
> > More or less.  More precisely, as I understand it, IE implemented an early draft
> > of a spec, and didn't fix their code when the spec changed before being finalized.
> >
> > See also item 1 and item 7 at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/faq.html
> >
> > -Boris

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
Thanks Joel, but you're not quite done yet.  The demo on site is fixed
up but the download zip is not.

Joel wrote:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> I maintain the TopXML website, thanks for notifying us about the error
> in the article.
> I have corrected the main article, xml file and the xsl stylesheet.  I
> have tested it both in Firefox and Internet Explorer and all is working
> fine now.
>
> My apologies for the inconvenienced caused.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Joel
> TopXML Support
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > It actually got a little worse, or I discovered another bug, when I
> > changed the xml:stylesheet  to xml-stylesheet.
> >
> > This is the namespace declaration in the samples given at TopXML
> > xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"
> >
> > However, within the tutorial, on the same page just a little lower
> > down, the author correctly states that this is a previous standard and
> > no longer works.  (As I found to be true.)  The correct namespace is
> > xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"
> >
> > So, with the stylesheet declaration changed in the xml file and the
> > namespace declaration changed in the stylesheet file, all is well with
> > FF and IE.
> >
> > Thanks for your insight, and I sent a link to this conversation to the
> > tutorial author.
> >

> > Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> > > More or less.  More precisely, as I understand it, IE implemented an early draft
> > > of a spec, and didn't fix their code when the spec changed before being finalized.
> > >
> > > See also item 1 and item 7 at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/faq.html
> > >
> > > -Boris

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
In all fairness to the TopXML people, although their examples are out
of date, the text is not bad. Overall, I like the tutorial so far.
This is my first exposure to xslt and I'm not having any trouble
getting it in my head.  What is telling however, is that no one has
reported this error before.  The online examples were fixed the same
day I reported the bug to them (they're apparantly still working on the
zip files) -  so I must assume that up till now no one had noticed;
which would mean no one had used the demos!

Have you seen other reports on their material?

Axel Hecht wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > It actually got a little worse, or I discovered another bug, when I
> > changed the xml:stylesheet  to xml-stylesheet.
> >
> > This is the namespace declaration in the samples given at TopXML
> > xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"
> >
> > However, within the tutorial, on the same page just a little lower
> > down, the author correctly states that this is a previous standard and
> > no longer works.  (As I found to be true.)  The correct namespace is
> > xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"
> >
> > So, with the stylesheet declaration changed in the xml file and the
> > namespace declaration changed in the stylesheet file, all is well with
> > FF and IE.
> >
> > Thanks for your insight, and I sent a link to this conversation to the
> > tutorial author.
> >

> Who added a link to that stuff to devmo? I suggest removing it, the
> stuff I heard so far doesn't make me think we should send people there
> to learn XSLT.
>
> Axel
>

> > Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> >> More or less.  More precisely, as I understand it, IE implemented an early draft
> >> of a spec, and didn't fix their code when the spec changed before being finalized.
> >>
> >> See also item 1 and item 7 at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/faq.html
> >>
> >> -Boris

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

Joel-20
Ahh yes.  That has now been fixed also.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

-Joel
TopXML Support

[hidden email] wrote:

> Thanks Joel, but you're not quite done yet.  The demo on site is fixed
> up but the download zip is not.
>

> Joel wrote:
> > Hi Christopher,
> >
> > I maintain the TopXML website, thanks for notifying us about the error
> > in the article.
> > I have corrected the main article, xml file and the xsl stylesheet.  I
> > have tested it both in Firefox and Internet Explorer and all is working
> > fine now.
> >
> > My apologies for the inconvenienced caused.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Joel
> > TopXML Support
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> > > It actually got a little worse, or I discovered another bug, when I
> > > changed the xml:stylesheet  to xml-stylesheet.
> > >
> > > This is the namespace declaration in the samples given at TopXML
> > > xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"
> > >
> > > However, within the tutorial, on the same page just a little lower
> > > down, the author correctly states that this is a previous standard and
> > > no longer works.  (As I found to be true.)  The correct namespace is
> > > xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"
> > >
> > > So, with the stylesheet declaration changed in the xml file and the
> > > namespace declaration changed in the stylesheet file, all is well with
> > > FF and IE.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your insight, and I sent a link to this conversation to the
> > > tutorial author.

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
Hey Joel,

As of 5:40pm (June 5) I still received the same errors from the
download available here:
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/default.asp

Its link address is:
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/worksheets.zip

Hope this helps.

Joel wrote:

> Ahh yes.  That has now been fixed also.
>
> Thanks for letting us know about this.
>
> -Joel
> TopXML Support
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Thanks Joel, but you're not quite done yet.  The demo on site is fixed
> > up but the download zip is not.
> >

> > Joel wrote:
> > > Hi Christopher,
> > >
> > > I maintain the TopXML website, thanks for notifying us about the error
> > > in the article.
> > > I have corrected the main article, xml file and the xsl stylesheet.  I
> > > have tested it both in Firefox and Internet Explorer and all is working
> > > fine now.
> > >
> > > My apologies for the inconvenienced caused.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > -Joel
> > > TopXML Support

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

Joel-20
Ok I've fixed that zip file also.  Let me know if you find anything
else.

Thanks

-Joel
TopXML Support
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hey Joel,
>
> As of 5:40pm (June 5) I still received the same errors from the
> download available here:
> http://www.topxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/default.asp
>
> Its link address is:
> http://www.topxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/worksheets.zip
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Joel wrote:
> > Ahh yes.  That has now been fixed also.
> >
> > Thanks for letting us know about this.
> >
> > -Joel
> > TopXML Support
> >
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Thanks Joel, but you're not quite done yet.  The demo on site is fixed
> > > up but the download zip is not.

Re: TopXML Tutorial on XSLT and XPath

cweaverster
I will.  I've just started on the tutorial.  As I progress I will let
you know what I find.