Too many connections

jay lunis
With some frequency, when trying to post to a ng, I get an error
'News(NNTP) error occurred: Too many connections . . .'
I can find no reason for this.
Shutting down and restarting TB doesn't resolve the error.
Shutting down and restarting my PC doesn't resolve the error.
After a while (sometimes a few hours) it heals itself.
I have noticed this often (but not always) occurs after trouble posting
a message.  That is, I compose a message, hit SEND, and TB sits there
telling me it is sending the message - sometimes for over 30 minutes.
Don't know how long this would go on if I didn't cancel.
Any ideas?

Re: Too many connections

Holger Metzger
J Lunis wrote:

> With some frequency, when trying to post to a ng, I get an error
> 'News(NNTP) error occurred: Too many connections . . .'
> I can find no reason for this.
> Shutting down and restarting TB doesn't resolve the error.
> Shutting down and restarting my PC doesn't resolve the error.
> After a while (sometimes a few hours) it heals itself.
> I have noticed this often (but not always) occurs after trouble posting
> a message.  That is, I compose a message, hit SEND, and TB sits there
> telling me it is sending the message - sometimes for over 30 minutes.
> Don't know how long this would go on if I didn't cancel.
> Any ideas?

It's a news server problem: too many users are trying to access the
server at the same time.
Possible solutions:
- access the server at different times
- switch to a new server.

--
Holger

Re: Too many connections

walt-2
J Lunis wrote:
> With some frequency, when trying to post to a ng, I get an error
> 'News(NNTP) error occurred: Too many connections . . .'

This is worth a try:  go to the 'Advanced' tab in the Preferences
menu and pick the 'General' tab.  Click the button marked 'Config
Editor'.

Each mail and news account will have a value for max_cached_
connections.  Try reducing that number by one for the news
server.  If you can't figure out which account is the news
server you can search on the word 'hostname' which will make
it obvious.

Re: Too many connections

Ron Hunter
J Lunis wrote:

> With some frequency, when trying to post to a ng, I get an error
> 'News(NNTP) error occurred: Too many connections . . .'
> I can find no reason for this.
> Shutting down and restarting TB doesn't resolve the error.
> Shutting down and restarting my PC doesn't resolve the error.
> After a while (sometimes a few hours) it heals itself.
> I have noticed this often (but not always) occurs after trouble posting
> a message.  That is, I compose a message, hit SEND, and TB sits there
> telling me it is sending the message - sometimes for over 30 minutes.
> Don't know how long this would go on if I didn't cancel.
> Any ideas?

This is a symptom of a news server that is not functioning correctly.
It seems some companies, such as Charter, have gone with services that
aren't able to handle the load.  You might check into subscribing to one
of the commercial news servers, such as Airnews, Supernews, or Giganews.
  You won't see this problem with them.

Re: Too many connections

jay lunis
walt wrote:

> J Lunis wrote:
>
>>With some frequency, when trying to post to a ng, I get an error
>>'News(NNTP) error occurred: Too many connections . . .'
>

> This is worth a try:  go to the 'Advanced' tab in the Preferences
> menu and pick the 'General' tab.  Click the button marked 'Config
> Editor'.
>
> Each mail and news account will have a value for max_cached_
> connections.  Try reducing that number by one for the news
> server.  If you can't figure out which account is the news
> server you can search on the word 'hostname' which will make
> it obvious.
I can do that.  Umm, where is the 'Preferences' menu?

Re: Too many connections

walt-2
J Lunis wrote:

> I can do that.  Umm, where is the 'Preferences' menu?

Now, why the hell would they call it 'Preferences' in the
Unix version and 'Options' in the Windows version?  Dunno.

I agree with Ron's comment that the real problem is most
likely with your news server, but I'm curious to see if
lowering the number of connections will help you.

Re: Too many connections

jay lunis
walt wrote:

> J Lunis wrote:
>

>>I can do that.  Umm, where is the 'Preferences' menu?
>

> Now, why the hell would they call it 'Preferences' in the
> Unix version and 'Options' in the Windows version?  Dunno.
>
> I agree with Ron's comment that the real problem is most
> likely with your news server, but I'm curious to see if
> lowering the number of connections will help you.
Be patient.  Went to 'Options.  Selected 'Advanced' from the icons down
the left side.  I see no tabs - no 'General.'  I see no max_cache.

Re: Too many connections

jay lunis
walt wrote:

> J Lunis wrote:
>

>>I can do that.  Umm, where is the 'Preferences' menu?
>

> Now, why the hell would they call it 'Preferences' in the
> Unix version and 'Options' in the Windows version?  Dunno.
>
> I agree with Ron's comment that the real problem is most
> likely with your news server, but I'm curious to see if
> lowering the number of connections will help you.
BTW, when posting the previous response, I got TB's 'sending' popup
which stayed on the screen working for 3-5 minutes.  Yet, while it was
still 'sending' the post, I went to this ng and, ta-da, it appeared on
the ng even though TB was saying it was still sending.

Re: Too many connections

Ron Hunter
walt wrote:

> J Lunis wrote:
>
>> I can do that.  Umm, where is the 'Preferences' menu?
>
> Now, why the hell would they call it 'Preferences' in the
> Unix version and 'Options' in the Windows version?  Dunno.
>
> I agree with Ron's comment that the real problem is most
> likely with your news server, but I'm curious to see if
> lowering the number of connections will help you.
It won't if the problem is the news server as the cause it that it
doesn't properly terminate one connection before opening another, and
thus getting to the max (2) connections per IP number.  The new provider
for Charter is particularly bad about this issue.

Re: Too many connections

Leonidas Jones
J Lunis wrote:

> walt wrote:
>> J Lunis wrote:
>>

>>> I can do that.  Umm, where is the 'Preferences' menu?
>>

>> Now, why the hell would they call it 'Preferences' in the
>> Unix version and 'Options' in the Windows version?  Dunno.
>>
>> I agree with Ron's comment that the real problem is most
>> likely with your news server, but I'm curious to see if
>> lowering the number of connections will help you.
> Be patient.  Went to 'Options.  Selected 'Advanced' from the icons down
> the left side.  I see no tabs - no 'General.'  I see no max_cache.

You are using an outdated version of Thunderbird, 1.0.  Current release
version is 1.0.7, with 1.5 due out in January.

I have no idea what walt is using, since he has a munged UA, but he's
describing Edit>>Preference (Linux), or Thunderbird>>Preferences (Mac
OSX), or Tools>>Options (Windows), as it appears in TB 1.5RC2.

TB 1.0.x has no Config Editor.  You can install an extension, About Config:

http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/

This will give you Tools>>about:config entry, from which you can try his
suggestion.

The different OS's have preferences/options paths. depending on where
users of that OS are most likely to look for them.

Lee

Re: Too many connections

walt-2
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> I have no idea what walt is using, since he has a munged UA...

Oops!  I was just playing and I forgot to remove the munge.
Thanks for reminding me :o/

I build TB and FF from CVS every morning, and I file bug reports
when I think I understand a problem well enough not to sound like
a complete idiot.  (Maybe half the time?)

Re: Too many connections

Leonidas Jones
walt wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what walt is using, since he has a munged UA...
>
> Oops!  I was just playing and I forgot to remove the munge.
> Thanks for reminding me :o/
>
> I build TB and FF from CVS every morning, and I file bug reports
> when I think I understand a problem well enough not to sound like
> a complete idiot.  (Maybe half the time?)

I dunno, I liked the Hi Mom part!  ;)

Lee

Re: Too many connections

What's in a Name?
[hidden email] AKA J Lunis on 12/30/2005 in
<vYatf.2925$[hidden email]> after much thought,came up with this
jewel: