Thunderbird: too late to the party to update l10n?

Thunderbird: too late to the party to update l10n?

Jordi Serratosa
Hi,

We missed the TB 60 release for Catalan (ca) locale, which apparently
was a couple of days ago.
The Catalan version of TB 60 available for download contains a lot of
English strings (for example, all address book fields)

Now the translation is finished for both Thunderbird and Lightning
projects, including major corrections.

Since TB 60 is a major revamp, is there any way to include the Catalan
translation in TB any time soon?
How long will it take to release a l10n update?

Thank you!

salut,
jordi s

Re: Thunderbird: too late to the party to update l10n?

Jordi Serratosa
Hi, I guess this message went unheard :-/

Thunderbird just updated to 60.2.1 and there is no trace of the
translations we submitted aerly in August. Great. Not.

Any idea on how to include the updated tranlsations in the next update?

salut,
jordi s

El 08/08/2018 a les 18:57, Jordi Serratosa ha escrit:

> Hi,
>
> We missed the TB 60 release for Catalan (ca) locale, which apparently
> was a couple of days ago.
> The Catalan version of TB 60 available for download contains a lot of
> English strings (for example, all address book fields)
>
> Now the translation is finished for both Thunderbird and Lightning
> projects, including major corrections.
>
> Since TB 60 is a major revamp, is there any way to include the Catalan
> translation in TB any time soon?
> How long will it take to release a l10n update?
>
> Thank you!
>
> salut,
> jordi s

Re: Thunderbird: too late to the party to update l10n?

Philipp Kewisch
Hi Jordi,

sorry for the missing reply. In theory, as long as you continue to translate strings on the localization platform, they should be available to the 60.* release as well. At least this is my understanding regarding the new unified strings repo.

That said, I am not sure if this works well for Thunderbird yet. I will have to ask around to get a definitive answer.

If that doesn't work I believe we can get the strings uplifted, though it may be a bit of manual work I need to support you with.

Thanks
Philipp

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 12:30:37 PM UTC+2, Jordi Serratosa wrote:

> Hi, I guess this message went unheard :-/
>
> Thunderbird just updated to 60.2.1 and there is no trace of the
> translations we submitted aerly in August. Great. Not.
>
> Any idea on how to include the updated tranlsations in the next update?
>
> salut,
> jordi s
>
> El 08/08/2018 a les 18:57, Jordi Serratosa ha escrit:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We missed the TB 60 release for Catalan (ca) locale, which apparently
> > was a couple of days ago.
> > The Catalan version of TB 60 available for download contains a lot of
> > English strings (for example, all address book fields)
> >
> > Now the translation is finished for both Thunderbird and Lightning
> > projects, including major corrections.
> >
> > Since TB 60 is a major revamp, is there any way to include the Catalan
> > translation in TB any time soon?
> > How long will it take to release a l10n update?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > salut,
> > jordi s

Re: Thunderbird: too late to the party to update l10n?

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Il giorno ven 9 nov 2018 alle ore 12:55 Philipp Kewisch
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi Jordi,
>
> sorry for the missing reply. In theory, as long as you continue to translate strings on the localization platform, they should be available to the 60.* release as well. At least this is my understanding regarding the new unified strings repo.

The repository doesn't include ESR versions yet. If you removed a
string in 61, it's out of the repository by now (it cover 63 to 65).

In any case, it should require an updated sign-off (not completely
sure how TB builds work), which shouldn't be possible on elmo for 60.

Francesco

> That said, I am not sure if this works well for Thunderbird yet. I will have to ask around to get a definitive answer.
>
> If that doesn't work I believe we can get the strings uplifted, though it may be a bit of manual work I need to support you with.
>
> Thanks
> Philipp
>

> On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 12:30:37 PM UTC+2, Jordi Serratosa wrote:
> > Hi, I guess this message went unheard :-/
> >
> > Thunderbird just updated to 60.2.1 and there is no trace of the
> > translations we submitted aerly in August. Great. Not.
> >
> > Any idea on how to include the updated tranlsations in the next update?
> >
> > salut,
> > jordi s
> >
> > El 08/08/2018 a les 18:57, Jordi Serratosa ha escrit:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We missed the TB 60 release for Catalan (ca) locale, which apparently
> > > was a couple of days ago.
> > > The Catalan version of TB 60 available for download contains a lot of
> > > English strings (for example, all address book fields)
> > >
> > > Now the translation is finished for both Thunderbird and Lightning
> > > projects, including major corrections.
> > >
> > > Since TB 60 is a major revamp, is there any way to include the Catalan
> > > translation in TB any time soon?
> > > How long will it take to release a l10n update?
> > >
> > > Thank you!
> > >
> > > salut,
> > > jordi s

Re: Thunderbird: too late to the party to update l10n?

Jordi Serratosa
Hi Francesco, Philipp,

I [wrongly?] assumed the process for Thunderbird was as streamlined as
Firefox's, meaning no manual sign-offs would be required.

> If that doesn't work I believe we can get the strings uplifted, though it may be a bit of manual work I need to support you with.
I'm just seeing that there have been at least 2 TB release updates since
version 60 and the Catalan translation was not picked up in any of them :-/
Any effort to push strings in next update would be much appreciated and
it would make a difference for the Catalan user experience.

Thank you!

salut,
jordi s

El 09/11/2018 a les 13:09, Francesco Lodolo ha escrit: