Quantcast

Thunderbird search strings

Michal Stanke-2
Hi.

In Thunderbird translations I have noticed few new strings available for
localization in region.properties. Namely it is
browser.search.defaultenginename and browser.search.order.#. What is the
right way to localize them? Should we "translate" the engines names, if
they are different in our region, or should the translations match the
order from https://transvision.mozfr.org/productization/?

Cheers,
--
Michal Stanke

Re: Thunderbird search strings

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Names in browser.search.* should match the ShortName attributes in the
corresponding XML files (e.g. Google for google.xml)
https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/file/default/mail/locales/en-US/searchplugins/google.xml#l6

Also note that these files haven't been touched in years, not sure why
they would show up as new (and where)
https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/log/default/mail/locales/en-US/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties

Francesco

> Hi.
>
> In Thunderbird translations I have noticed few new strings available for
> localization in region.properties. Namely it is
> browser.search.defaultenginename and browser.search.order.#. What is the
> right way to localize them? Should we "translate" the engines names, if they
> are different in our region, or should the translations match the order from
> https://transvision.mozfr.org/productization/?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Michal Stanke

Re: Thunderbird search strings

Onno Ekker-2
Op 6-5-2017 om 13:24 schreef Michal Stanke:

> Hi.
>
> In Thunderbird translations I have noticed few new strings available for
> localization in region.properties. Namely it is
> browser.search.defaultenginename and browser.search.order.#. What is the
> right way to localize them? Should we "translate" the engines names, if
> they are different in our region, or should the translations match the
> order from https://transvision.mozfr.org/productization/?
>
> Cheers,

There's a new string there's a new string
gecko.handlerService.defaultHandlersVersion in
mail/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties.

I'm not sure if we need to translate it or are even allowed to do that,
since I thought changes in region.properties were handled by the l10n team.

Anyway, it would be great if the file could also include a similar
comment as in browser and mobile, indicating the purpose of the string:

# increment this number when anything gets changed in the list below.
This will
# cause Firefox to re-read these prefs and inject any new handlers into the
# profile database.  Note that "new" is defined as "has a different
URL"; this
# means that it's not possible to update the name of existing handler, so
# don't make any spelling errors here.

Onno

Re: Thunderbird search strings

Michal Stanke-2
This seems like some Pontoon bug. Looking at the repository, the file is
actually there containing all the strings
(https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/cs/file/tip/mail/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties),
but Pontoon shows them as untranslated
(https://pontoon.mozilla.org/cs/thunderbird/mail/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties/).
Elmo correctly reports only gecko.handlerService.defaultHandlersVersion
as missing (https://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/compare?run=716695).

Matjaž, can you please check, what's wrong here?

Michal Stanke

Dne 6.5.2017 v 15:30 Onno Ekker napsal(a):

> Op 6-5-2017 om 13:24 schreef Michal Stanke:
>> Hi.
>>
>> In Thunderbird translations I have noticed few new strings available for
>> localization in region.properties. Namely it is
>> browser.search.defaultenginename and browser.search.order.#. What is the
>> right way to localize them? Should we "translate" the engines names, if
>> they are different in our region, or should the translations match the
>> order from https://transvision.mozfr.org/productization/?
>>
>> Cheers,
> There's a new string there's a new string
> gecko.handlerService.defaultHandlersVersion in
> mail/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties.
>
> I'm not sure if we need to translate it or are even allowed to do that,
> since I thought changes in region.properties were handled by the l10n team.
>
> Anyway, it would be great if the file could also include a similar
> comment as in browser and mobile, indicating the purpose of the string:
>
> # increment this number when anything gets changed in the list below.
> This will
> # cause Firefox to re-read these prefs and inject any new handlers into the
> # profile database.  Note that "new" is defined as "has a different
> URL"; this
> # means that it's not possible to update the name of existing handler, so
> # don't make any spelling errors here.
>
> Onno

Re: Thunderbird search strings

Matjaz Horvat-2
Hi Michal!

Thanks for reporting, this was indeed a bug in Pontoon.

As Onno pointed out, region.properties files should not be exposed for
localization. They should be gone now. And the bugfix will prevent
them from appearing again.

We'll also remove any bogus commits from HG.

Sorry for inconveniece.

-Matjaž

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Michal Stanke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This seems like some Pontoon bug. Looking at the repository, the file is
> actually there containing all the strings
> (https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/cs/file/tip/mail/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties),
> but Pontoon shows them as untranslated
> (https://pontoon.mozilla.org/cs/thunderbird/mail/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties/).
> Elmo correctly reports only gecko.handlerService.defaultHandlersVersion as
> missing (https://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/compare?run=716695).
>
> Matjaž, can you please check, what's wrong here?
>
> Michal Stanke
>
> Dne 6.5.2017 v 15:30 Onno Ekker napsal(a):
>
>> Op 6-5-2017 om 13:24 schreef Michal Stanke:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> In Thunderbird translations I have noticed few new strings available for
>>> localization in region.properties. Namely it is
>>> browser.search.defaultenginename and browser.search.order.#. What is the
>>> right way to localize them? Should we "translate" the engines names, if
>>> they are different in our region, or should the translations match the
>>> order from https://transvision.mozfr.org/productization/?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> There's a new string there's a new string
>> gecko.handlerService.defaultHandlersVersion in
>> mail/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties.
>>
>> I'm not sure if we need to translate it or are even allowed to do that,
>> since I thought changes in region.properties were handled by the l10n
>> team.
>>
>> Anyway, it would be great if the file could also include a similar
>> comment as in browser and mobile, indicating the purpose of the string:
>>
>> # increment this number when anything gets changed in the list below.
>> This will
>> # cause Firefox to re-read these prefs and inject any new handlers into
>> the
>> # profile database.  Note that "new" is defined as "has a different
>> URL"; this
>> # means that it's not possible to update the name of existing handler, so
>> # don't make any spelling errors here.
>>
>> Onno

Re: Thunderbird search strings

Michal Stanke-2
Thank you Matjaž.

Nothing happened for Czech, I have only submitted few suggestions before
realizing what some of the strings are. Hope these lone suggestions won't
cause any troubles.

Have a nice weekend and good luck on the ice hockey championship to all.
--
Michal Stanke