Thunderbird pre-load next unread message

Thunderbird pre-load next unread message

RAV-2
While reading the currently highlighted message, it would be great if
Thunderbird would pre-load the next unread message, so that by the time
I press N to go to the next unread message it would (probably) be ready
to read, and I wouldn't have to sit there while the status line displays
servers (such as news.mozilla.org), but it is with others, such as
teranews, which recently has slowed to a crawl.

Re: Thunderbird pre-load next unread message

Mumia W..
On 09/26/2006 08:32 AM, RAV wrote:
> While reading the currently highlighted message, it would be great if
> Thunderbird would pre-load the next unread message, so that by the time
> I press N to go to the next unread message it would (probably) be ready
> to read, and I wouldn't have to sit there while the status line displays
> servers (such as news.mozilla.org), but it is with others, such as
> teranews, which recently has slowed to a crawl.

Select (highlight) the messages that you want pre-downloaded, then, from
the menu, select "File/Offline/Get Selected Messages."

Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

> On 09/26/2006 08:32 AM, RAV wrote:
>> While reading the currently highlighted message, it would be great if
>> Thunderbird would pre-load the next unread message, so that by the
>> time I press N to go to the next unread message it would (probably) be
>> ready to read, and I wouldn't have to sit there while the status line
>> displays "Loading Message".  This isn't so much of an issue with some
>> news servers (such as news.mozilla.org), but it is with others, such
>> as teranews, which recently has slowed to a crawl.
>
> Select (highlight) the messages that you want pre-downloaded, then, from
> the menu, select "File/Offline/Get Selected Messages."

That does work, but it requires that I first have to spend a lot of time
pre-highlighting all the individual unread messages with Ctrl+LeftClick
(which can be widely scattered among all the previously read messages),
then downloading them, and finally reading them (again, one at a time by
pressing N).  That seems to be more hassle than it's worth.  I
appreciate your suggestion, but I still think it would be worthwhile for
Thunderbird to be able to pre-load each "next" message, so that it's
ready to be read when the user is ready to read it.  Or, is there a way
to quickly highlight just all the unread messages?

On 09/26/2006 10:49 AM, RAV wrote:

> Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
>> On 09/26/2006 08:32 AM, RAV wrote:
>>> While reading the currently highlighted message, it would be great if
>>> Thunderbird would pre-load the next unread message, so that by the
>>> time I press N to go to the next unread message it would (probably)
>>> be ready to read, and I wouldn't have to sit there while the status
>>> line displays "Loading Message".  This isn't so much of an issue with
>>> some news servers (such as news.mozilla.org), but it is with others,
>>> such as teranews, which recently has slowed to a crawl.
>>
>> Select (highlight) the messages that you want pre-downloaded, then,
>> from the menu, select "File/Offline/Get Selected Messages."
>>

> That does work, but it requires that I first have to spend a lot of time
> pre-highlighting all the individual unread messages with Ctrl+LeftClick
> (which can be widely scattered among all the previously read messages),
> then downloading them, and finally reading them (again, one at a time by
> pressing N).  That seems to be more hassle than it's worth.  I
> appreciate your suggestion, but I still think it would be worthwhile for
> Thunderbird to be able to pre-load each "next" message, so that it's
> ready to be read when the user is ready to read it.  Or, is there a way
> to quickly highlight just all the unread messages?

Click the "view" button and select "unread," then hit Control-A to
select all of the messages.

But what I do is more convenient for me and completely different. I have
  Thunderbird set to download messages when I go offline. After
subscribing to a newsgroup, you must select that newsgroup folder for
offline reading and you must tell TB to download messages when you go
offline. When you click the offline/online button, TB will download
messages from all of the newsgroups and mail-accounts it has been told
to do this for.

Typically, I connect to the Internet, click the offline/online button to
go online within TB (some messages are sent), click on offline/online
button again (messages are downloaded), and disconnect from the Internet.

An "automatically download next message" option would be nice but isn't
necessary for me.

Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

> On 09/26/2006 10:49 AM, RAV wrote:
>> Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
>>>
>>> Select (highlight) the messages that you want pre-downloaded, then,
>>> from the menu, select "File/Offline/Get Selected Messages."
>>>

>> That does work, but it requires that I first have to spend a lot of
>> time pre-highlighting all the individual unread messages with
>> Ctrl+LeftClick (which can be widely scattered among all the previously
>> read messages), then downloading them, and finally reading them
>> (again, one at a time by pressing N).  That seems to be more hassle
>> than it's worth.  I
>> appreciate your suggestion, but I still think it would be worthwhile
>> for Thunderbird to be able to pre-load each "next" message, so that
>> it's ready to be read when the user is ready to read it.  Or, is there
>> a way to quickly highlight just all the unread messages?
>
> Click the "view" button and select "unread," then hit Control-A to
> select all of the messages.
>
> But what I do is more convenient for me and completely different. I have
>  Thunderbird set to download messages when I go offline. After
> subscribing to a newsgroup, you must select that newsgroup folder for
> offline reading and you must tell TB to download messages when you go
> offline. When you click the offline/online button, TB will download
> messages from all of the newsgroups and mail-accounts it has been told
> to do this for.
>
> Typically, I connect to the Internet, click the offline/online button to
> go online within TB (some messages are sent), click on offline/online
> button again (messages are downloaded), and disconnect from the Internet.
>
> An "automatically download next message" option would be nice but isn't
> necessary for me.

I might eventually try the offline method as you suggest, but I did just
try your "change view to unread, Ctrl+A, get selected messages" method
and that works well enough for me for now.  Of course, since I like
seeing all messages in my view (including unread ones) I change the view
back to All afterwards, but it's still better than having each
individual message take 5-10 seconds to load.  Thanks very much for your
help.

I wonder if there's a way to create a shortcut key or a button that
would switch my view back and forth between Unread and All, and another
button that would "Get Selected Messages" ?

On 09/26/2006 02:58 PM, RAV wrote:

> Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

>>> That does work, but it requires that I first have to spend a lot of
>>> time pre-highlighting all the individual unread messages with
>>> Ctrl+LeftClick (which can be widely scattered among all the
>>> previously read messages), then downloading them, and finally reading
>>> them (again, one at a time by pressing N).  That seems to be more
>>> hassle than it's worth.  I
>>> appreciate your suggestion, but I still think it would be worthwhile
>>> for Thunderbird to be able to pre-load each "next" message, so that
>>> it's ready to be read when the user is ready to read it.  Or, is
>>> there a way to quickly highlight just all the unread messages?
>>
>> Click the "view" button and select "unread," then hit Control-A to
>> select all of the messages.
>>
>> But what I do is more convenient for me and completely different. I
>> have  Thunderbird set to download messages when I go offline. After
>> subscribing to a newsgroup, you must select that newsgroup folder for
>> offline reading and you must tell TB to download messages when you go
>> offline. When you click the offline/online button, TB will download
>> messages from all of the newsgroups and mail-accounts it has been told
>> to do this for.
>>
>> Typically, I connect to the Internet, click the offline/online button
>> to go online within TB (some messages are sent), click on
>> offline/online button again (messages are downloaded), and disconnect
>> from the Internet.
>>
>> An "automatically download next message" option would be nice but
>> isn't necessary for me.
>>

> I might eventually try the offline method as you suggest, but I did just
> try your "change view to unread, Ctrl+A, get selected messages" method
> and that works well enough for me for now.  Of course, since I like
> seeing all messages in my view (including unread ones) I change the view
> back to All afterwards, but it's still better than having each
> individual message take 5-10 seconds to load.  Thanks very much for your
> help.

You're welcome.

> I wonder if there's a way to create a shortcut key or a button that
> would switch my view back and forth between Unread and All, and another
> button that would "Get Selected Messages" ?

I've never used it, but I've heard of an extension called keyconfig that
allows you to assign hotkeys to TB functions. Search for it on
http://addons.mozilla.org/