Thunderbird lay out.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thunderbird lay out.

Daniel Dalton
I am blind and can't really explore the windows. I can see what font
stuff is but this will take me a long time. So could someone tell me the
following:
1. How can I identify the message list from other parts of the program?
For example the local folders list?
Are there certain words on the screen? Is something a certain font or
colour? Is there something different in the bottom line of the window
than usual. I need this method to work when in any message list. For
example the trash folder and the inbox.
2. How can I tell if I am in the local folders tree view?
3. How can I tell when the program is sending and receiving.
4. How can I tell when I am in a message that someone has sent me? For
example when pressing enter on one from the inbox.

If someone could help me out with all of this I would greatly appreciate
it. This will help me out with making thunderbird accessible to the blind.

BTW should my jaws scripts for thunderbird be hosted on the thunderbird
website? Would this make it easier for blind users to access? Or could
we put a link to my site up there?

Thanks,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird lay out.

Aaron Leventhal-3
Daniel,

Are you on Windows or Linux? Are you familiar with MSAA/IAccessible2 on Windows
or AT-SPI on Windows?

Thunderbird exposes trees of objects with bounds etc. using those APIs. It also
fires events (such as focus) with those APIs.

- Aaron

Daniel Dalton wrote:

> I am blind and can't really explore the windows. I can see what font
> stuff is but this will take me a long time. So could someone tell me the
> following:
> 1. How can I identify the message list from other parts of the program?
> For example the local folders list?
> Are there certain words on the screen? Is something a certain font or
> colour? Is there something different in the bottom line of the window
> than usual. I need this method to work when in any message list. For
> example the trash folder and the inbox.
> 2. How can I tell if I am in the local folders tree view?
> 3. How can I tell when the program is sending and receiving.
> 4. How can I tell when I am in a message that someone has sent me? For
> example when pressing enter on one from the inbox.
>
> If someone could help me out with all of this I would greatly appreciate
> it. This will help me out with making thunderbird accessible to the blind.
>
> BTW should my jaws scripts for thunderbird be hosted on the thunderbird
> website? Would this make it easier for blind users to access? Or could
> we put a link to my site up there?
>
> Thanks,
>
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird lay out.

Daniel Dalton
On 10/09/2007 11:32 PM, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Are you on Windows or Linux?

Windows

Are you familiar with MSAA/IAccessible2 on Windows
> or AT-SPI on Windows?

No. Are you? If you are maybe you could help me with these jaws scripts.
Basically we need to write a conditional statement that will tell us
we're in the right window and then the rest is easy.

>
> Thunderbird exposes trees of objects with bounds etc. using those APIs. It also
> fires events (such as focus) with those APIs.

So it isn't possible to just make each window have a different class?
Like notepad on windows or outlook express.
BTW What language is tb written in?

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
daniel.dalton47@gmail .com
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird lay out.

Aaron Leventhal-3
In reply to this post by Aaron Leventhal-3
Thunderbird is written in C++, JavaScript and XUL. It does not have a window for
each control. It uses MSAA to expose the controls instead. Unfortunately the
MSAA support is not currently scriptable, if I understand correctly.

For the most part, Thunderbird should just work with JAWS. Tweaking it with
script is not terribly easy.

- Aaron
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird lay out.

Daniel Dalton
On 12/09/2007 11:42 PM, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> Thunderbird is written in C++, JavaScript and XUL.

Unfortunately I don't know any of these languages. And I don't know the
windows API.
And I am not going to learn it any time soon.
So I can't really code much on it.

Isn't JavaScript  used to make websites?
And why does it use 3 languages?

It does not have a
> window for each control. It uses MSAA to expose the controls instead.

How come the menu bar and other menus have a different class?
Than most other windows?

> Unfortunately the MSAA support is not currently scriptable, if I
> understand correctly.

Jaws for windows supports MSAA but I don't know it.
I am not interested in learning all of this stuff because I am thinking
of moving to linux.

>
> For the most part, Thunderbird should just work with JAWS. Tweaking it
> with script is not terribly easy.

Well there are a lot of things that aren't accessible actually.
1. We can't tell if a message is unread.
2. We can not tell if a message has an attachment.
3. Before we didn't have access to the context menu that comes up when
guessing an address. This was a big problem.
But when I get around to posting my update it will talk correctly.
Anyway mine is working perfectly here. The menu guessing thing.
4. Message reading in the compose window could be better.
5. First letter navigation would be nice in the local folders list.
6. Field names been spoken correctly would be good.
7. A way for scripters to easily tell what window there in.
This would make life a lot easier and we would have a lot more
accessibility.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility