Thunderbird: how to access a gmail account now?

Thunderbird: how to access a gmail account now?

Balaco ocalaB
A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail account
on my computer. Easy, right! No.

After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB message
I have never seen before appeared.

Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".

In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.

The window text is:

> Você chegou a esta página porque detectamos que os cookies estão
> desativados no seu navegador. Não será possível exibir corretamente a
> página que você tentou carregar se os cookies estiverem desativados.
>
> Ative os cookies e repita a operação ou volte para o navegador.

Which can be summarized as:

> Cookies are disabled in your browser. Not possible to show the page
> you tried to load if cookies are disabled.
>
> Enable cookies and try again, or go back to your browser.

My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How to
I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)

--
=
        quem você é?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: Thunderbird: how to access a gmail account now?

Balaco ocalaB
Em 24-05-2018 16:15, Balaco ocalaB escreveu:

> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail account
> on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>
> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB message
> I have never seen before appeared.
>
> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>
> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>
> The window text is:
>
>> Você chegou a esta página porque detectamos que os cookies estão
>> desativados no seu navegador. Não será possível exibir corretamente a
>> página que você tentou carregar se os cookies estiverem desativados.
>>
>> Ative os cookies e repita a operação ou volte para o navegador.
>
> Which can be summarized as:
>
>> Cookies are disabled in your browser. Not possible to show the page
>> you tried to load if cookies are disabled.
>>
>> Enable cookies and try again, or go back to your browser.
>
> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How to
> I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)

Enabling "less secure apps" in gmail does not solve the problem. We just
tried, the "browser window without any browser option" appeared again -
even after completely removing the account from TB and adding it again.

--
=
        quem você é?
        to show who you are?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: Thunderbird: how to access a gmail account now?

WaltS48-9
On 5/24/18 3:15 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail account
> on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>
> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB message
> I have never seen before appeared.
>
> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>
> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>
> The window text is:
>
>> Você chegou a esta página porque detectamos que os cookies estão
>> desativados no seu navegador. Não será possível exibir corretamente a
>> página que você tentou carregar se os cookies estiverem desativados.
>>
>> Ative os cookies e repita a operação ou volte para o navegador.
>
> Which can be summarized as:
>
>> Cookies are disabled in your browser. Not possible to show the page
>> you tried to load if cookies are disabled.
>>
>> Enable cookies and try again, or go back to your browser.
>
> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How to
> I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)

You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
account for Gmail.

For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
cookies from sites".

If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.

I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
create any account.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: Thunderbird: how to access a gmail account now?

EnDeeGee
On 24-May-2018 16:53, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 5/24/18 3:15 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail
>> account on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>>
>> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB
>> message I have never seen before appeared.
>>
>> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>>
>> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
>> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>>
>> The window text is:
>>
>>> Você chegou a esta página porque detectamos que os cookies estão
>>> desativados no seu navegador. Não será possível exibir corretamente a
>>> página que você tentou carregar se os cookies estiverem desativados.
>>>
>>> Ative os cookies e repita a operação ou volte para o navegador.
>>
>> Which can be summarized as:
>>
>>> Cookies are disabled in your browser. Not possible to show the page
>>> you tried to load if cookies are disabled.
>>>
>>> Enable cookies and try again, or go back to your browser.
>>
>> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How
>> to I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)
>>

> You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
> account for Gmail.
>
> For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
> cookies from sites".
>
> If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.
>
> I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
> create any account.

In which version did this crap started because it never use to be that way.

On 5/24/2018 5:38 PM, EnDeeGee wrote:

> On 24-May-2018 16:53, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 5/24/18 3:15 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail
>>> account on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>>>
>>> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB
>>> message I have never seen before appeared.
>>>
>>> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>>>
>>> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
>>> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>>>
>>> The window text is:

>>> Which can be summarized as:

>>> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How
>>> to I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)
>>>

>> You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
>> account for Gmail.
>>
>> For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
>> cookies from sites".
>>
>> If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.
>>
>> I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
>> create any account.
>>

> In which version did this crap started because it never use to be that
> way.

I wouldn't know.

Download some previous versions and test them with a new profile.

I tested TB 52.8.0 on Linux and Windows.

--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.0
AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.20 GHz 6.00 GB RAM

Em 24-05-2018 17:53, WaltS48 escreveu:

> On 5/24/18 3:15 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail
>> account on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>>
>> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB
>> message I have never seen before appeared.
>>
>> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>>
>> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
>> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>>
>> The window text is:
>>
>>> Você chegou a esta página porque detectamos que os cookies estão
>>> desativados no seu navegador. Não será possível exibir corretamente a
>>> página que você tentou carregar se os cookies estiverem desativados.
>>>
>>> Ative os cookies e repita a operação ou volte para o navegador.
>>
>> Which can be summarized as:
>>
>>> Cookies are disabled in your browser. Not possible to show the page
>>> you tried to load if cookies are disabled.
>>>
>>> Enable cookies and try again, or go back to your browser.
>>
>> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How
>> to I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)
>>

> You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
> account for Gmail.
>
> For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
> cookies from sites".
>
> If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.
>
> I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
> create any account.

The "create account" I meant, is the account *configuration* in TB. Not
the gmail account. The account exists. Maybe I should have written it
differently? No, the above seems good: "tried to configure TB to access
her account".

What is the connection of cookies and TB? Why are they related to IMAP
or SMTP? I think that is veeeeery strange. And I do not want that TB
opens pages in its "browser bits", I have a browser configured with
every detail as I wish, differently from what TB offers to me.

I never enabled cookies in TB, since years ago. I think that did not
even exist.

--
=

Em 24-05-2018 18:38, EnDeeGee escreveu:

> On 24-May-2018 16:53, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 5/24/18 3:15 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail
>>> account on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>>>
>>> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB
>>> message I have never seen before appeared.
>>>
>>> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>>>
>>> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
>>> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>>>
>>> The window text is:

>>> Which can be summarized as:

>>> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How
>>> to I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)
>>>

>> You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
>> account for Gmail.
>>
>> For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
>> cookies from sites".
>>
>> If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.
>>
>> I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
>> create any account.
>>

> In which version did this crap started because it never use to be that way.

I asked that myself too! For that, and a few other things that have
started happening in TB here, I am seriouly thinking of changing to
another manager. There are many people who point bad things in Mozilla,
and those are not being improved - but being apparently kept or made worse.

--
=

On 5/24/18 5:55 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

> Em 24-05-2018 17:53, WaltS48 escreveu:
>> On 5/24/18 3:15 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail
>>> account on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>>>
>>> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB
>>> message I have never seen before appeared.
>>>
>>> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>>>
>>> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
>>> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>>>
>>> The window text is:

>>> Which can be summarized as:

>>> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How
>>> to I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)
>>>

>> You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
>> account for Gmail.
>>
>> For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
>> cookies from sites".
>>
>> If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.
>>
>> I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
>> create any account.
>>

> The "create account" I meant, is the account *configuration* in TB. Not
> the gmail account. The account exists. Maybe I should have written it
> differently? No, the above seems good: "tried to configure TB to access
> her account".
>
> What is the connection of cookies and TB? Why are they related to IMAP
> or SMTP? I think that is veeeeery strange. And I do not want that TB
> opens pages in its "browser bits", I have a browser configured with
> every detail as I wish, differently from what TB offers to me.
>
> I never enabled cookies in TB, since years ago. I think that did not
> even exist.

I also meant account configuration in TB.

I was able to try configuring my Gmail account using TB 60.0b6 with a
test profile, and the cookie error comes from
https://accounts.google.com/o/nocookie.

It's possible they need to set a cookie to verify the accounts password.

I don't see any Google cookies saved in TB, looking at Preferences >
Privacy > Show Cookies using my production profile.

Em 24-05-2018 19:19, WaltS48 escreveu:

> On 5/24/18 5:55 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

>>> You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
>>> account for Gmail.
>>>
>>> For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
>>> cookies from sites".
>>>
>>> If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
>>> create any account.
>>>

>> The "create account" I meant, is the account *configuration* in TB.
>> Not the gmail account. The account exists. Maybe I should have written
>> it differently? No, the above seems good: "tried to configure TB to
>> access her account".
>>
>> What is the connection of cookies and TB? Why are they related to IMAP
>> or SMTP? I think that is veeeeery strange. And I do not want that TB
>> opens pages in its "browser bits", I have a browser configured with
>> every detail as I wish, differently from what TB offers to me.
>>
>> I never enabled cookies in TB, since years ago. I think that did not
>> even exist.
>>

> I also meant account configuration in TB.
>
> I was able to try configuring my Gmail account using TB 60.0b6 with a
> test profile, and the cookie error comes from
> https://accounts.google.com/o/nocookie.
>
> It's possible they need to set a cookie to verify the accounts password.
>
> I don't see any Google cookies saved in TB, looking at Preferences >
> Privacy > Show Cookies using my production profile.

Good. That was my confusion then, with your words only.
(:

What really puzzles me is that I have a working gmail account in TB with
those settings. My friend's account should work too! (right?) All gmail
settings I could find are verified for her account: enable IMAP; disable
2 step; allow "less secure" apps. Even the ugly and very annoying,
strangest "solve captcha to unlock a new app", which would be a strange
solution - but did not work too. We tried it twice.

Both accounts exists since several years ago (I am not sure how much,
but at least 10 years).

--
=
        quem você é?
        to show who you are?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: Thunderbird: how to access a gmail account now?

Ray_Net
Balaco ocalaB wrote on 24-05-18 23:55:

> Em 24-05-2018 17:53, WaltS48 escreveu:
>> On 5/24/18 3:15 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail
>>> account on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>>>
>>> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB
>>> message I have never seen before appeared.
>>>
>>> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>>>
>>> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
>>> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>>>
>>> The window text is:

>>> Which can be summarized as:

>>> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How
>>> to I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)
>>>

>> You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
>> account for Gmail.
>>
>> For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
>> cookies from sites".
>>
>> If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.
>>
>> I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
>> create any account.
>>

> The "create account" I meant, is the account *configuration* in TB.
> Not the gmail account. The account exists. Maybe I should have written
> it differently? No, the above seems good: "tried to configure TB to
> access her account".
>
> What is the connection of cookies and TB? Why are they related to IMAP
> or SMTP? I think that is veeeeery strange. And I do not want that TB
> opens pages in its "browser bits", I have a browser configured with
> every detail as I wish, differently from what TB offers to me.
>
> I never enabled cookies in TB, since years ago. I think that did not
> even exist.

Enable the cookies just for adding the account in TB - then, when all is
ok, disable the writing of cookies.

Em 25-05-2018 06:36, Ray_Net escreveu:

> Balaco ocalaB wrote on 24-05-18 23:55:

>>> You need to have cookies enabled in Thunderbird to be able to create an
>>> account for Gmail.
>>>
>>> For cookies you would go to Preferences > Privacy. Enable "Accept
>>> cookies from sites".
>>>
>>> If that is not an option, you can't use Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> I can't even get the Account Wizard to open with cookies disabled to
>>> create any account.
>>>

>> The "create account" I meant, is the account *configuration* in TB.
>> Not the gmail account. The account exists. Maybe I should have written
>> it differently? No, the above seems good: "tried to configure TB to
>> access her account".
>>
>> What is the connection of cookies and TB? Why are they related to IMAP
>> or SMTP? I think that is veeeeery strange. And I do not want that TB
>> opens pages in its "browser bits", I have a browser configured with
>> every detail as I wish, differently from what TB offers to me.
>>
>> I never enabled cookies in TB, since years ago. I think that did not
>> even exist.
>>

> Enable the cookies just for adding the account in TB - then, when all is
> ok, disable the writing of cookies.

We did that now. Did not work.

This happened: the strange window opens, it is a login page, the
username is already in it, but clicking next does not do anything.
Cliking on the links "help", "privacy" and "terms" also do not open
anything.

--
=
        quem você é?
        to show who you are?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

After several days of no change, gave up; now the problem is worse (was Re: Thunderbird: how to access a gmail account now?)

Balaco ocalaB
Em 24-05-2018 16:15, Balaco ocalaB escreveu:

> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail account
> on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>
> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB message
> I have never seen before appeared.
>
> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>
> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>
> The window text is:
>
>> Você chegou a esta página porque detectamos que os cookies estão
>> desativados no seu navegador. Não será possível exibir corretamente a
>> página que você tentou carregar se os cookies estiverem desativados.
>>
>> Ative os cookies e repita a operação ou volte para o navegador.
>
> Which can be summarized as:
>
>> Cookies are disabled in your browser. Not possible to show the page
>> you tried to load if cookies are disabled.
>>
>> Enable cookies and try again, or go back to your browser.
>
> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How to
> I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)

After several days with this problem, I gave up. B-U-T enabling cookies
in Thunderbird does *not* solve the situation! It simply does not
progress. When I click in the account to access it, the login page
window appears with the email address written with some "CaPs ArT" in
it. I click next... but nothing happens! No page to write password, or
something (what?) else that could happen after the address.

What can I do now? I want to access this gmail account as the other
account I normally access in TB! Simple as that!

Ideas?

--
=

On 6/8/18 8:44 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

> Em 24-05-2018 16:15, Balaco ocalaB escreveu:
>> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail account
>> on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>>
>> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB message
>> I have never seen before appeared.
>>
>> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>>
>> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
>> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>>
>> The window text is:
>>
>>> Você chegou a esta página porque detectamos que os cookies estão
>>> desativados no seu navegador. Não será possível exibir corretamente a
>>> página que você tentou carregar se os cookies estiverem desativados.
>>>
>>> Ative os cookies e repita a operação ou volte para o navegador.
>>
>> Which can be summarized as:
>>
>>> Cookies are disabled in your browser. Not possible to show the page
>>> you tried to load if cookies are disabled.
>>>
>>> Enable cookies and try again, or go back to your browser.
>>
>> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How to
>> I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)
>>

> After several days with this problem, I gave up. B-U-T enabling cookies
> in Thunderbird does *not* solve the situation! It simply does not
> progress. When I click in the account to access it, the login page
> window appears with the email address written with some "CaPs ArT" in
> it. I click next... but nothing happens! No page to write password, or
> something (what?) else that could happen after the address.
>
> What can I do now? I want to access this gmail account as the other
> account I normally access in TB! Simple as that!
>
> Ideas?

Try a new profile, don't make any changes.

Create your gmail account.
Create her gmail account.

Let us know what happens.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Em 08-06-2018 21:58, WaltS48 escreveu:

> On 6/8/18 8:44 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>> Em 24-05-2018 16:15, Balaco ocalaB escreveu:
>>> A good friend tried to configure Thunderbird to access her gmail account
>>> on my computer. Easy, right! No.
>>>
>>> After typing the basic information in the account "wizard", a TB message
>>> I have never seen before appeared.
>>>
>>> Window title: "Give credentials for [account name] in imap.gmail.com".
>>>
>>> In something that looks like a menu bar, there is
>>> https://accounts.google.com./o/nocookie written.
>>>
>>> The window text is:

>>> Which can be summarized as:

>>> My gmail account never needed that to be accessed in any manager! How to
>>> I solve it? (enabling cookies in TB is not an option)
>>>

>> After several days with this problem, I gave up. B-U-T enabling
>> cookies in Thunderbird does *not* solve the situation! It simply does
>> not progress. When I click in the account to access it, the login page
>> window appears with the email address written with some "CaPs ArT" in
>> it. I click next... but nothing happens! No page to write password, or
>> something (what?) else that could happen after the address.
>>
>> What can I do now? I want to access this gmail account as the other
>> account I normally access in TB! Simple as that!
>>
>> Ideas?
>>

> Try a new profile, don't make any changes.
>
> Create your gmail account.
> Create her gmail account.
>
> Let us know what happens.

Ok. Fair enough test. I'll do that now. (:

--
=