Thunderbird -> Firefox

RJack-10
I'm sure this has been asked before.  I did search back a few months in
the newsgroup and couldn't find anything.

I finally decided to dump Mozilla and go with a Thunderbird/Firefox
setup.  It seems to work pretty well, but when I click on a link in an
e-mail, it tries to launch Mozilla.  I need it to launch Firefox (with
LIBPATHSTRICT set properly).  I looked around, but can't find how I do
that.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Steve Wendt
John Smith wrote:

> It seems to work pretty well, but when I click on a link in an
> e-mail, it tries to launch Mozilla.  I need it to launch Firefox

ConfigApps on Hobbes will allow you to configure this.

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

RJack-10
That does the trick.

Thanks Steve.

Steve Wendt wrote:
> John Smith wrote:
>
>> It seems to work pretty well, but when I click on a link in an e-mail,
>> it tries to launch Mozilla.  I need it to launch Firefox
>
> ConfigApps on Hobbes will allow you to configure this.

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Peter Weilbacher
John Smith wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked before.  I did search back a few months in
> the newsgroup and couldn't find anything.
>
> I finally decided to dump Mozilla and go with a Thunderbird/Firefox
> setup.  It seems to work pretty well, but when I click on a link in an
> e-mail, it tries to launch Mozilla.  I need it to launch Firefox (with
> LIBPATHSTRICT set properly).  I looked around, but can't find how I do
> that.  Any ideas?

I thought that ConfigApps is listed in the README.txt but maybe I forgot
that. Why don't you upgrade from Mozilla to SeaMonkey? Even though it
says 1.0beta I find it to be as stable as Firefox (the codebase is the
same for the largest part).
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

RJack-10
Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> I thought that ConfigApps is listed in the README.txt but maybe I forgot
> that.
It's not.

> Why don't you upgrade from Mozilla to SeaMonkey? Even though it
> says 1.0beta I find it to be as stable as Firefox (the codebase is the
> same for the largest part).
I'll take a look at it.

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Chuck McKinnis
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 02:14:52 UTC, John Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm sure this has been asked before.  I did search back a few months in
> the newsgroup and couldn't find anything.
>
> I finally decided to dump Mozilla and go with a Thunderbird/Firefox
> setup.  It seems to work pretty well, but when I click on a link in an
> e-mail, it tries to launch Mozilla.  I need it to launch Firefox (with
> LIBPATHSTRICT set properly).  I looked around, but can't find how I do
> that.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

I think I have an update to configapps working.  Hit my home page, go to
my OS/2 page, and try the Internet Application Integration utility.

--
Chuck McKinnis
[hidden email]

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Steve Wendt
Chuck McKinnis wrote:

> I think I have an update to configapps working.  Hit my home page, go to
> my OS/2 page, and try the Internet Application Integration utility.

Is this the same program with a different name?  Or something new?  If
new, what did you find unsatisfactory about the existing one?

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Chuck McKinnis
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:15:28 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Chuck McKinnis wrote:
>
> > I think I have an update to configapps working.  Hit my home page, go to
> > my OS/2 page, and try the Internet Application Integration utility.
>
> Is this the same program with a different name?  Or something new?  If
> new, what did you find unsatisfactory about the existing one?

It supports more components:

  Mozilla -
    Mozilla
    Firefox
    Seamonkey
    Thunderbird
    Chatzilla
  PMMail
  Polarbar mailer

It can be used to install the the RUN! package.  It sets the proper icon
on the RUN! package module after it is copied to the proper directory
(it contains the icons for all of the supported components).

It will update the registry entries for the InnoTek FT2LIB support.

The WPURLDEFAULTSETTINGS application settings in the current OS2.INI may
be reset to their original values when it was opened.

It can be invoked in batch mode as an eCS post-installation task to
update the WPURLDEFAULTSETTINGS, install the RUN! package, and import
the FT2LIB registry entries.

It is rather pretty.

--
Chuck McKinnis
[hidden email]

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Steve Wendt
Chuck McKinnis wrote:

> update the WPURLDEFAULTSETTINGS, install the RUN! package, and import
> the FT2LIB registry entries.

Great!  Some (hopefully) constructive comments:

1) The install location for the VPREXX DLL can't be changed, and doesn't
change when you change the application install location.  I had to
install just the first package, then run the install again before the
secondary location got changed to match.  Don't know if this is a
problem with WarpIn or with your WarpIn script.

2) The "Item" and "Program Path" headers sometimes are cut off or
disappear, depending on the size of the window (try it maximized).

3) None of the stuff in the lower half of the window (entry fields and
buttons) needs to resize with the window, just resize the upper list.

4) The online help doesn't tell you where Run! has to be (in the
installation directory?) before the Install Run! option becomes available.

Most of the Edit menu seems kind of redundant - I guess the Cut / Copy /
Paste menu entries are for people afraid of using the keyboard.  :-)

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Chuck McKinnis
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:04:14 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Chuck McKinnis wrote:
>
> > update the WPURLDEFAULTSETTINGS, install the RUN! package, and import
> > the FT2LIB registry entries.
>
> Great!  Some (hopefully) constructive comments:
>
> 1) The install location for the VPREXX DLL can't be changed, and doesn't
> change when you change the application install location.  I had to
> install just the first package, then run the install again before the
> secondary location got changed to match.  Don't know if this is a
> problem with WarpIn or with your WarpIn script.

Can't be changed, my coding error.  Doesn't change when base changes,
WarpIN issue.  I may just build the executable with the VisPro support
included and get rid of the 2nd package.

> 2) The "Item" and "Program Path" headers sometimes are cut off or
> disappear, depending on the size of the window (try it maximized).

Decreased the vertical size of the container window.  Seems to take care
of it.

> 3) None of the stuff in the lower half of the window (entry fields and
> buttons) needs to resize with the window, just resize the upper list.

Something VisPro did for (or to) me.

> 4) The online help doesn't tell you where Run! has to be (in the
> installation directory?) before the Install Run! option becomes available.

RUN!.EXE is installed with the package.

> Most of the Edit menu seems kind of redundant - I guess the Cut / Copy /
> Paste menu entries are for people afraid of using the keyboard.  :-)

I use that menu as a popup when you RMB on an entry field.  Probably
don't need a popup.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Chuck McKinnis
[hidden email]

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Andy Willis-2
Chuck McKinnis wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:04:14 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Chuck McKinnis wrote:
>>
>>> update the WPURLDEFAULTSETTINGS, install the RUN! package, and import
>>> the FT2LIB registry entries.
>> Great!  Some (hopefully) constructive comments:
>>
>> 1) The install location for the VPREXX DLL can't be changed, and doesn't
>> change when you change the application install location.  I had to
>> install just the first package, then run the install again before the
>> secondary location got changed to match.  Don't know if this is a
>> problem with WarpIn or with your WarpIn script.
>
> Can't be changed, my coding error.  Doesn't change when base changes,
> WarpIN issue.  I may just build the executable with the VisPro support
> included and get rid of the 2nd package.
>
>> 2) The "Item" and "Program Path" headers sometimes are cut off or
>> disappear, depending on the size of the window (try it maximized).
>
> Decreased the vertical size of the container window.  Seems to take care
> of it.
>
>> 3) None of the stuff in the lower half of the window (entry fields and
>> buttons) needs to resize with the window, just resize the upper list.
>
> Something VisPro did for (or to) me.
>
>> 4) The online help doesn't tell you where Run! has to be (in the
>> installation directory?) before the Install Run! option becomes available.
>
> RUN!.EXE is installed with the package.
>
>> Most of the Edit menu seems kind of redundant - I guess the Cut / Copy /
>> Paste menu entries are for people afraid of using the keyboard.  :-)
>
> I use that menu as a popup when you RMB on an entry field.  Probably
> don't need a popup.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.

I just get:

    451 *-* Call VpMessageBox(window,title,'Error updating' !key)
REX0037E: Error 37 running D:\ECS\SYSTEM\IAIUTIL\IAIUTIL.EXE line 451:
Unexpected ",", ")", or "]"
REX0365E: Error 37.1:  Unexpected ","

I am using Object REXX.
Andy

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Steve Wendt
Chuck McKinnis wrote:

>> 4) The online help doesn't tell you where Run! has to be (in the
>> installation directory?) before the Install Run! option becomes available.
>
> RUN!.EXE is installed with the package.

Oh, guess I should have looked.  ;)

Under what circumstances is the menu option available?  It was grayed
out when I was looking at it.

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Peter Weilbacher
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:28:58 UTC, "Chuck McKinnis" wrote:

> I think I have an update to configapps working.  Hit my home page, go to
> my OS/2 page, and try the Internet Application Integration utility.

One of the nice things of ConfigApps was the parameters like "%email%"
that are defined in its readme and I went to some lengths to implement
that in Mozilla (even though this creates problems for URLs that get
passed on the command line (from the WPS). Would be great if you could
list them, too.

Would also be nice if the default height of your app would not cause the
heights of the entry fields to be twice as high as the text they contain
and if resizing the window would resize the top listbox and not
everything including the buttons.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Chuck McKinnis
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:47:12 UTC, Andy Willis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>     451 *-* Call VpMessageBox(window,title,'Error updating' !key)
> REX0037E: Error 37 running D:\ECS\SYSTEM\IAIUTIL\IAIUTIL.EXE line 451:
> Unexpected ",", ")", or "]"
> REX0365E: Error 37.1:  Unexpected ","
>
> I am using Object REXX.
> Andy

Well, run Classic Rexx, and if you never get an error, you will never
see the error :).  I have found that one and now test it with Object
Rexx as well.  My web site has been updated.

--
Chuck McKinnis
[hidden email]

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Chuck McKinnis
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:17:46 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Chuck McKinnis wrote:
>
> >> 4) The online help doesn't tell you where Run! has to be (in the
> >> installation directory?) before the Install Run! option becomes available.
> >
> > RUN!.EXE is installed with the package.
>
> Oh, guess I should have looked.  ;)
>
> Under what circumstances is the menu option available?  It was grayed
> out when I was looking at it.

It makes several checks:

Does the executable exist?
Does the executable directory exist?
Does the executable already appear to be a RUN! executable?
Does what appears to be a RUN! executable exist in the executable
directory?

If any of the above are true, the option to install the RUN! executable
will not be available.  I have one more check I need to add to determine
if the RUN! executable in the executable directory is the same as the
one in the utility directory (downlevel RUN! executable in the
executable directory).

How many times can you type executable with making an error? :)

--
Chuck McKinnis
[hidden email]

Re: Thunderbird -> Firefox

Chuck McKinnis
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:16:43 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the nice things of ConfigApps was the parameters like "%email%"
> that are defined in its readme and I went to some lengths to implement
> that in Mozilla (even though this creates problems for URLs that get
> passed on the command line (from the WPS). Would be great if you could
> list them, too.
>
> Would also be nice if the default height of your app would not cause the
> heights of the entry fields to be twice as high as the text they contain
> and if resizing the window would resize the top listbox and not
> everything including the buttons.

Thanks for the info, Peter.

I just took the parms that I got when executing the application from a
command line with "-h | more".

I am a captive of VisPro Rexx on some the resizing issues.  Don't know
if I can do much about them.

--
Chuck McKinnis
[hidden email]