Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachments from CC's

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachments from CC's

Bill Giel
An option to exclude attachments intended for the primary recipient from
CC's (and BCC's) would be nice.

_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachments from CC's

Emmanuel E
Actually its not a Thunderbird issue. Its actually a server side issue. You
would be better off asking for this on the SMTP protocol development mailing
list. But I guess its too late now since the way the SMTP protocol has been
designed its quite difficult to extend it and force everyone to accept the
extensions.

The only way out would be if you are willing to run your own customized SMTP
server, or if Thunderbird itself acts like an outgoing SMTP server. But with
the almost universal acceptance of SPF anti-spam measures it wont make any
sense to make Thunderbird also function like an outgoing SMTP server.

Some things we are stuck with for life... like driving on a particular side
of the road or counting in decimal instead of in octal or binary :)


----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Giel" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:56 PM
Subject: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachments from
CC's


> An option to exclude attachments intended for the primary recipient from
> CC's (and BCC's) would be nice.
>
> _______________________________________________
> wishlist mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
>

_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachments from CC's

Bill Giel
In reply to this post by Bill Giel
Hi Emmanuel,

A few years ago, I remember this being an option with a different email
client.  It may have been in the old Netscape Communicator suite. I
don't remember which it was now. Somehow, they managed to do it, and it
was handy.

Ah well, I'll just have to keep wishing. Thanks for your response.

Bill
Emmanuel E wrote:

> Actually its not a Thunderbird issue. Its actually a server side issue. You
> would be better off asking for this on the SMTP protocol development mailing
> list. But I guess its too late now since the way the SMTP protocol has been
> designed its quite difficult to extend it and force everyone to accept the
> extensions.
>
> The only way out would be if you are willing to run your own customized SMTP
> server, or if Thunderbird itself acts like an outgoing SMTP server. But with
> the almost universal acceptance of SPF anti-spam measures it wont make any
> sense to make Thunderbird also function like an outgoing SMTP server.
>
> Some things we are stuck with for life... like driving on a particular side
> of the road or counting in decimal instead of in octal or binary :)
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Bill Giel" <[hidden email]>
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:56 PM
> Subject: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachments from
> CC's
>
>
> > An option to exclude attachments intended for the primary recipient from
> > CC's (and BCC's) would be nice.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > wishlist mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
> >

_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachmentsfrom CC's

Emmanuel E
Could it have been AOL? AOL did offer some snazzy features (and still does)
to all mails sent to and from aol email accounts.

The only other option I see currently is that the person in the To: field
gets two emails:
1. With the attachment and addressed only to him
2. Without the attachment and addresses to him and cc'ed/bcc'ed to everyone
else.

If we could at least narrow it down to the client it would be helpful.

I did a google search and this is what it turned up
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6721785.html
Seems to me that IBM has patented all kinds of complex iterations of email
delivery. So it might have been that poor old cousin Lotus Notes that was
providing you the feature. What I also realized is that IBM's idea if
implemented would also enable my wish for Blind groups. Looks like the
patent is free, but I am not sure how many SMTP developers are interested in
implementing it :)

Cheers,
Emmanuel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill" <[hidden email]>
Newsgroups: mozilla.wishlist
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachmentsfrom
CC's


> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> A few years ago, I remember this being an option with a different email
> client.  It may have been in the old Netscape Communicator suite. I
> don't remember which it was now. Somehow, they managed to do it, and it
> was handy.
>
> Ah well, I'll just have to keep wishing. Thanks for your response.
>
> Bill
> Emmanuel E wrote:
>> Actually its not a Thunderbird issue. Its actually a server side issue.
>> You
>> would be better off asking for this on the SMTP protocol development
>> mailing
>> list. But I guess its too late now since the way the SMTP protocol has
>> been
>> designed its quite difficult to extend it and force everyone to accept
>> the
>> extensions.
>>
>> The only way out would be if you are willing to run your own customized
>> SMTP
>> server, or if Thunderbird itself acts like an outgoing SMTP server. But
>> with
>> the almost universal acceptance of SPF anti-spam measures it wont make
>> any
>> sense to make Thunderbird also function like an outgoing SMTP server.
>>
>> Some things we are stuck with for life... like driving on a particular
>> side
>> of the road or counting in decimal instead of in octal or binary :)
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Bill Giel" <[hidden email]>
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:56 PM
>> Subject: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachments from
>> CC's
>>
>>
>> > An option to exclude attachments intended for the primary recipient
>> > from
>> > CC's (and BCC's) would be nice.
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > wishlist mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
>> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> wishlist mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
>

_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachmentsfrom CC's

Herre de Jonge
In reply to this post by Bill Giel
Emmanuel E wrote:
> Could it have been AOL? AOL did offer some snazzy features (and still
> does) to all mails sent to and from aol email accounts.
>
> The only other option I see currently is that the person in the To:
> field gets two emails:
> 1. With the attachment and addressed only to him
> 2. Without the attachment and addresses to him and cc'ed/bcc'ed to
> everyone else.

This option would mean TB has to send two e-mails, but it doesn't
mean the person in the To-field has to recieve both of them. The
complete message could be send only to the "To" person by
supplying only that address in the "rcpt to" and the stripped
message can be send to the others by specifying all of them (but
not the To-person in the "rcpt to". So basically it could be
implemented in TB.

Take care,
   Herre
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachmentsfrom CC's

Emmanuel E
wow cool!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Herre de Jonge" <[hidden email]>
Newsgroups: mozilla.wishlist
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: Thunderbird feature request- optionally exclude attachmentsfrom
CC's


> Emmanuel E wrote:
>> Could it have been AOL? AOL did offer some snazzy features (and still
>> does) to all mails sent to and from aol email accounts.
>>
>> The only other option I see currently is that the person in the To: field
>> gets two emails:
>> 1. With the attachment and addressed only to him
>> 2. Without the attachment and addresses to him and cc'ed/bcc'ed to
>> everyone else.
>
> This option would mean TB has to send two e-mails, but it doesn't
> mean the person in the To-field has to recieve both of them. The
> complete message could be send only to the "To" person by
> supplying only that address in the "rcpt to" and the stripped
> message can be send to the others by specifying all of them (but
> not the To-person in the "rcpt to". So basically it could be
> implemented in TB.
>
> Take care,
>   Herre
> _______________________________________________
> wishlist mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
>

_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist