Thunderbird feature request - Can we have a "Blind To" similar to "Blind Carbon Copy" ? And similarly Blind groups also?

Thunderbird feature request - Can we have a "Blind To" similar to "Blind Carbon Copy" ? And similarly Blind groups also?

Emmanuel E
Hi Everyone,

Sometimes I would like to send out "personalized" emails to a lot of people but I wouldnt like them to receive it as a Bcc. Neither would I have the patience to sit and email them separately. It would be great if the "Blind To" could be implemented. Basically what this would do is to send out separate emails to all the people in the Blind To list. So that when people get the email they see their email id and only their email id in the To field.

This wouldnt require any rework of SMTP servers and the protocol though it might lead to a certain higher load on the email smtp servers. I hope bandwidth isnt such a big issue still and there are far better ways to get users to conserve bandwidth.

To extend the concept a bit further I propose the concept of Blind Groups. The email is sent to each blind group as a separate email. For example

----------------------------

Blind Group 1:
To: Tom
Cc: Dick, Harry
Bcc: Jane

Blind Group 2:
To: Jill, Mary
Cc: Shirley
Bcc: Jack

Blind Group 3:
To: Alex

------------------------------

In this instance 3 identical emails would be sent out. The first email to Blind Group 1, the second to Blind Group 2 and so on. So each group of your friends could respond within the group. If you bcc everyone then no one knows who else got the email and hence no one launches a group discussion. On the other hand you may not want to share email ids of one group with another group and you may not want cross group responses which could embarass you.

Yes in once sense it is similar to bcc'ing several email lists/groups. The advantage here is that you can modify any list/group in your own client ( you might want to include everyone on a list except one ) and one cant adminster external lists so easily.

Of course any pointers on how to do it as an extension would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Emmanuel

Re: Thunderbird feature request - Can we have a "Blind To" similar to "Blind Carbon Copy" ? And similarly Blind groups also?

Moz Champion (Dan)
Emmanuel E wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Sometimes I would like to send out "personalized" emails to a lot of people but I wouldnt like them to receive it as a Bcc. Neither would I have the patience to sit and email them separately. It would be great if the "Blind To" could be implemented. Basically what this would do is to send out separate emails to all the people in the Blind To list. So that when people get the email they see their email id and only their email id in the To field.
>
> This wouldnt require any rework of SMTP servers and the protocol though it might lead to a certain higher load on the email smtp servers. I hope bandwidth isnt such a big issue still and there are far better ways to get users to conserve bandwidth.
>
> To extend the concept a bit further I propose the concept of Blind Groups. The email is sent to each blind group as a separate email. For example

The way I do it is to send with my own email in the TO field and
everyone else in BCC.

Your method would put more load on SMTP servers.
With the current system, a message is sent once to the server, and it
copies it to all in the BCC list.
Using your method the SMTP server would have to parse the list first,
then rewrite the headers of each copy it was sending to reflect the new
TO address.

If you think that the client (Thunderbird) would be doing the
addressing, then the message would have to be sent once for EACH address

Spammers would love such a program - there are ones that do that now,
but they are costly, and here you are proposing they get it FREE <g>

There are other commercial email programs that can do this, you may wish
to investigate some of those.

Re: Thunderbird feature request - Can we have a "Blind To" similar to "Blind Carbon Copy" ? And similarly Blind groups also?

Emmanuel E
Uh no... bandwidth wouldnt really be such a big issue. Bcc dosent really
happen on a multicast scenario. Your outgoing email server actually
connects to each different incoming email server of every domain and
sends the bcc'ed message.

I propose the addressing and parsing be done at Thunderbird's end till
the time SMTP programs implement the required extensions. The increase
in bandwidth usage will come only from Thunderbird connecting multiple
times to your outgoing SMTP server to emulate the functionality of a
blind to.

It should not put a bigger load on incoming email servers at all (unless
of course you want to "blind to" all the people in the organisation from
outside), which will anyway get you kicked.

It would definitely put a higher load on outgoing email servers. But
then thats what google groups and yahoo groups are anyway all about.

Naah technology is value neutral, your anti-spam argument goes like
saying nuclear energy can be used to blow up the planet therefore we
shouldnt experiment with it. Spammers will always spam and anti-spam
systems have evolved extremely fast. I can write up for you a perl
script in 5 minutes which could blow the hell out of bandwidth of most
email servers. But then email servers dont go down because they know how
to detect and lock out spam. Spam programs arent costly at all.

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Emmanuel E wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Sometimes I would like to send out "personalized" emails to a lot of
>> people but I wouldnt like them to receive it as a Bcc. Neither would
>> I have the patience to sit and email them separately. It would be
>> great if the "Blind To" could be implemented. Basically what this
>> would do is to send out separate emails to all the people in the
>> Blind To list. So that when people get the email they see their email
>> id and only their email id in the To field.
>>
>> This wouldnt require any rework of SMTP servers and the protocol
>> though it might lead to a certain higher load on the email smtp
>> servers. I hope bandwidth isnt such a big issue still and there are
>> far better ways to get users to conserve bandwidth.
>>
>> To extend the concept a bit further I propose the concept of Blind
>> Groups. The email is sent to each blind group as a separate email.
>> For example
>>

> The way I do it is to send with my own email in the TO field and
> everyone else in BCC.
>
> Your method would put more load on SMTP servers.
> With the current system, a message is sent once to the server, and it
> copies it to all in the BCC list.
> Using your method the SMTP server would have to parse the list first,
> then rewrite the headers of each copy it was sending to reflect the
> new TO address.
>
> If you think that the client (Thunderbird) would be doing the
> addressing, then the message would have to be sent once for EACH address
>
> Spammers would love such a program - there are ones that do that now,
> but they are costly, and here you are proposing they get it FREE <g>
>
> There are other commercial email programs that can do this, you may
> wish to investigate some of those.

Re: Thunderbird feature request - Can we have a "Blind To" similar to "Blind Carbon Copy" ? And similarly Blind groups also?

Ralph Fox-2
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:02:12 +0530, in message <[hidden email]>,
Emmanuel E wrote:

> It should not put a bigger load on incoming email servers at all (unless
> of course you want to "blind to" all the people in the organisation from
> outside), which will anyway get you kicked.

The only case where it would not bigger load on incoming email servers
is when each and every one of the recipients was on a different mail server.

> Your outgoing email server actually
> connects to each different incoming email server of every domain and
> sends the bcc'ed message.

If two or more recipients are on the same incoming mail server, then
your outgoing mail server only connects once, and transmits the message
once to all recipients on that server.

--
Cheers,
Ralph