Thunderbird exit problem

Dave Pyles
I'm a happy Thunderbird user, but recently the program has begun to not
completely terminate on exit.  When it happens I cannot get the program
to re-focus without going into the Task Manager and terminating the
program.  Anyone have any idea how I can solve this problem.  My OS is
Win2000 SP4.

Dave Pyles

Re: Thunderbird exit problem

wwheele1
Dave Pyles wrote:
> I'm a happy Thunderbird user, but recently the program has begun to not
> completely terminate on exit.  When it happens I cannot get the program
> to re-focus without going into the Task Manager and terminating the
> program.  Anyone have any idea how I can solve this problem.  My OS is
> Win2000 SP4.
>
> Dave Pyles
I have had the same problem - with both TB and FF. Other than being told
it was s frequent problem there are no solutions offered. One suggestion
on FF was to use file>exit to close. Don't know if it would work on TB.

Bill

Re: Thunderbird exit problem

Leonidas Jones
[hidden email] wrote:

> Dave Pyles wrote:
>> I'm a happy Thunderbird user, but recently the program has begun to
>> not completely terminate on exit.  When it happens I cannot get the
>> program to re-focus without going into the Task Manager and
>> terminating the program.  Anyone have any idea how I can solve this
>> problem.  My OS is Win2000 SP4.
>>
>> Dave Pyles
> I have had the same problem - with both TB and FF. Other than being told
> it was s frequent problem there are no solutions offered. One suggestion
> on FF was to use file>exit to close. Don't know if it would work on TB.
>
> Bill

I have not noticed it on TB, and only occasionally on FF, yet there are
many reports of it on FF, only a couple for TB that I have seen so far.

I don't think anyone knows what actually causes it, thought there are
guesses.  If the ap is closed and reopened almost immediately, as one
might when installing an extension,say, the problem will often occur,
since the reopening takes place before the previous instance has
finished writing to the profile.

People also note it when using a plugins, as when viewing streaming
video, or reading a PDF file.  If the plugin does not close correctly,
it can cause Firefox to hang.  This should have no impact on TB, however.

I do recall an old problem with Netscape not closing.  The workaround
was not to have trash emptied on exit.  NS would hang in trying to empty
its trash.  I have TB set to empty trash on exit, and no problems, but
you might give it a shot.

Tools>>Account Settings>>(all mail accounts)>>Server Settings

Uncheck the Empty Trash on Exit box.

Lee

On 10/31/2005 12:41 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dave Pyles wrote:
>
>> I'm a happy Thunderbird user, but recently the program has begun to
>> not completely terminate on exit.  When it happens I cannot get the
>> program to re-focus without going into the Task Manager and
>> terminating the program.  Anyone have any idea how I can solve this
>> problem.  My OS is Win2000 SP4.
>>
>> Dave Pyles
>
> I have had the same problem - with both TB and FF. Other than being told
> it was s frequent problem there are no solutions offered. One suggestion
> on FF was to use file>exit to close. Don't know if it would work on TB.
>
> Bill
I think I solved the problem. I had updated a bunch of extensions when
the problem began. I downloaded T-Bird 1.0.7 and did a fresh install,
but still had the same problem. I had the extensions Launchy & Linky
installed and they were two if the ones that I had updated. I never use
then, so I uninstalled them and the problem went away.

Dave Pyles wrote:

>> Dave Pyles wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a happy Thunderbird user, but recently the program has begun to
>>> not completely terminate on exit.  When it happens I cannot get the
>>> program to re-focus without going into the Task Manager and
>>> terminating the program.  Anyone have any idea how I can solve this
>>> problem.  My OS is Win2000 SP4.
>>>
>>> Dave Pyles
>>
>> I have had the same problem - with both TB and FF. Other than being
>> told it was s frequent problem there are no solutions offered. One
>> suggestion on FF was to use file>exit to close. Don't know if it would
>> work on TB.
>>
>> Bill
> I think I solved the problem. I had updated a bunch of extensions when
> the problem began. I downloaded T-Bird 1.0.7 and did a fresh install,
> but still had the same problem. I had the extensions Launchy & Linky
> installed and they were two if the ones that I had updated. I never use
> then, so I uninstalled them and the problem went away.
>
> Dave Pyles

I use Launchy all the time, so I doubt that was it.  That leaves Linky,
which is by the same author, but I've never used it.

Lee