Thunderbird broken on DBCS systems

Alex Taylor
I've been trying to support a user of Japanese (DBCS) eComStation to get
Thunderbird working.  And I'm also trying to get it working on a Japanese
eCS installation on my own computer.

Unfortunately something seems badly broken.  The first time I run
Thunderbird, I'm prompted to create an account, and I can do so without
trouble.  I can check mail, and so on.

The problem is after I close Thunderbird.  Any time I run Thunderbird
subsequently, the main window contains a blank tab with three blank
panels, where it should show the accounts tree and its contents.  I can
basically do nothing.  (If I open the Account Options window, I can see my
account configured.  However, if I try to use the Add New Account command,
absolutely nothing happens.  If I try to open any window containing
rich content, like the Addons window, again, nothing happens.)

If I delete my profile directory, I can start Thunderbird and create a new,
working account as before.  Again, this only works until the next time I
close Thunderbird; the next time I run the program, it is nonfunctional
again.

I'm trying with two different installations of Thunderbird 10.0.0.12, one
standard (English language) and one with the language Thunderbird pack
installed.  Both installations exhibit the same behaviour.

HOWEVER, if I run either installation of Thunderbird from an English (EN_US)
installation of eComStation on the same computer, using the same profile
directory, it works fine.

The critical factor causing the breakage is definitely specific to running
under the Japanese operating system.  It doesn't appear to be the codepage,
as I've tried using the same codepage as English (850).  There is something
else about the DBCS environment that Thunderbird simply can't deal with
somehow.

Any ideas?  Has anyone else seen this?  (Is anyone else trying to run
Thunderbird 10.x on a DBCS OS/2 system?)

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.

Re: Thunderbird broken on DBCS systems

Alex Taylor
On Sun, 18 May 2014 13:45:26 UTC, "Alex Taylor" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Unfortunately something seems badly broken.  The first time I run
> Thunderbird, I'm prompted to create an account, and I can do so without
> trouble.  I can check mail, and so on.
>
> The problem is after I close Thunderbird.  Any time I run Thunderbird
> subsequently, the main window contains a blank tab with three blank
> panels, where it should show the accounts tree and its contents.  I can
> basically do nothing.  (If I open the Account Options window, I can see my
> account configured.  However, if I try to use the Add New Account command,
> absolutely nothing happens.  If I try to open any window containing
> rich content, like the Addons window, again, nothing happens.)
>
> The critical factor causing the breakage is definitely specific to running
> under the Japanese operating system.  It doesn't appear to be the codepage,
> as I've tried using the same codepage as English (850).  There is something
> else about the DBCS environment that Thunderbird simply can't deal with
> somehow.

OK, I've installed Thunderbird 17.0.11esrpre, and the problem appears to be
fixed with this version!

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.

Re: Thunderbird broken on DBCS systems

Dave Yeo-3
On 07/20/14 07:44 PM, Alex Taylor wrote:
> OK, I've installed Thunderbird 17.0.11esrpre, and the problem appears to be
> fixed with this version!

Good to hear. Our font code got out of sync with everyone elses which
dmik fixed as well as getting the rest of our widget code back into sync
which may have fixed it.
How different are the components on a DBCS system? Would it be hard to
set up a regular en-US system as DBCS for testing?
Also did you ever try SeaMonkey?
Dave

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 02:58:45 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > OK, I've installed Thunderbird 17.0.11esrpre, and the problem appears to be
> > fixed with this version!
>
> Good to hear. Our font code got out of sync with everyone elses which
> dmik fixed as well as getting the rest of our widget code back into sync
> which may have fixed it.
> How different are the components on a DBCS system? Would it be hard to
> set up a regular en-US system as DBCS for testing?

Not easy, I think. The keyboard drivers are different, possibly COUNTRY.SYS
as well; IIRC there is a DBCS-specific version of DOSCALL1.DLL too.  There
are differences in the video drivers and some major extra logic in the font
handling system.

> Also did you ever try SeaMonkey?

No, not on that system (that I recall, anyway).