Thunderbird addressbook printing

The Real Bev
What I'd really like to be able to do is print my addressbook with only 2
fields: name and email address.  I would like to be able to print this in tiny
print with multiple columns such that I could fit the whole thing on one sheet
of paper, possibly double sided, rather than the 50-page tome I'd print if I
used the TB printing facility.

I've tried exporting and converting the addressbook file in a number of ways --
the best taking a lot of steps and passing the file through several different
programs and being a far bigger nuisance than it should be.

Am I the only one who'd like to do this?  Most of the fields in the addressbook
file are absolutely useless but insist on being printed anyway :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.

Re: Thunderbird addressbook printing

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 30-03-2009 21:32 CET, The Real Bev composed this enchanting statement:

> What I'd really like to be able to do is print my addressbook with
> only 2 fields: name and email address.  I would like to be able to
> print this in tiny print with multiple columns such that I could fit
> the whole thing on one sheet of paper, possibly double sided, rather
> than the 50-page tome I'd print if I used the TB printing facility.
>
> I've tried exporting and converting the addressbook file in a number
> of ways -- the best taking a lot of steps and passing the file through
> several different programs and being a far bigger nuisance than it
> should be.
>
> Am I the only one who'd like to do this?  Most of the fields in the
> addressbook file are absolutely useless but insist on being printed
> anyway :-(

Did you try to import your (exported) addressbook into a spreadsheet?

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: Thunderbird addressbook printing

Ingo Ratsdorf
On 31/03/2009 8:32 a.m., The Real Bev wrote:

> What I'd really like to be able to do is print my addressbook with only
> 2 fields: name and email address. I would like to be able to print this
> in tiny print with multiple columns such that I could fit the whole
> thing on one sheet of paper, possibly double sided, rather than the
> 50-page tome I'd print if I used the TB printing facility.
>
> I've tried exporting and converting the addressbook file in a number of
> ways -- the best taking a lot of steps and passing the file through
> several different programs and being a far bigger nuisance than it
> should be.
>
> Am I the only one who'd like to do this? Most of the fields in the
> addressbook file are absolutely useless but insist on being printed
> anyway :-(

I agree that a better printing feature would be nice, but please ask
yourself how many people would need that really how often. I guess there
is a danger of ending up with a monster application like MS office when
all sort of features would be integrated.
I think this would be a good task for an PLUGIN because I rather have a
thin and fast email client.
I never had the need to print any address items, not even a single VCF.
I am digital, I stay digital and I export and import data.

Despite that, just export your address book to comma separated values
(CSV) and open it with Excel or OpenOffice, delete columns you do not
want or select the whole lot and apply a filter and just print it. I
tried it and it took 30 secs...

Regards,
Ingo

Re: Thunderbird addressbook printing

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 31-03-2009 20:44 CET, Ingo Ratsdorf composed this enchanting statement:
> <x>
> Despite that, just export your address book to comma separated values
> (CSV) and open it with Excel or OpenOffice, delete columns you do not
> want or select the whole lot and apply a filter and just print it. I
> tried it and it took 30 secs...
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

Like I said. ;-)

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 30-03-2009 21:32 CET, The Real Bev composed this enchanting statement:
>> What I'd really like to be able to do is print my addressbook with
>> only 2 fields: name and email address.  I would like to be able to
>> print this in tiny print with multiple columns such that I could fit
>> the whole thing on one sheet of paper, possibly double sided, rather
>> than the 50-page tome I'd print if I used the TB printing facility.
>>
>> I've tried exporting and converting the addressbook file in a number
>> of ways -- the best taking a lot of steps and passing the file through
>> several different programs and being a far bigger nuisance than it
>> should be.
>>
>> Am I the only one who'd like to do this?  Most of the fields in the
>> addressbook file are absolutely useless but insist on being printed
>> anyway :-(
>>
> Did you try to import your (exported) addressbook into a spreadsheet?

Yup.  That was one of the steps.  I seem to remember that I deleted extra
columns, wrote it off to a text file, read it into open office in a 2-column
format and then had to do other stuff.  I think there were a couple of other
steps because some of my addressbook entries have first name and/or last
name/and or display name.  All told, a real pain.

Do people really use all those extra fields?

--
Cheers, Bev

Ingo Ratsdorf wrote:

> On 31/03/2009 8:32 a.m., The Real Bev wrote:
>> What I'd really like to be able to do is print my addressbook with only
>> 2 fields: name and email address. I would like to be able to print this
>> in tiny print with multiple columns such that I could fit the whole
>> thing on one sheet of paper, possibly double sided, rather than the
>> 50-page tome I'd print if I used the TB printing facility.
>>
>> I've tried exporting and converting the addressbook file in a number of
>> ways -- the best taking a lot of steps and passing the file through
>> several different programs and being a far bigger nuisance than it
>> should be.
>>
>> Am I the only one who'd like to do this? Most of the fields in the
>> addressbook file are absolutely useless but insist on being printed
>> anyway :-(
>>
> I agree that a better printing feature would be nice, but please ask
> yourself how many people would need that really how often. I guess there
> is a danger of ending up with a monster application like MS office when
> all sort of features would be integrated.
> I think this would be a good task for an PLUGIN because I rather have a
> thin and fast email client.

Fine, no problem.  I like the idea of just using the extensions you want.

> I never had the need to print any address items, not even a single VCF.
> I am digital, I stay digital and I export and import data.

I run linux.  I can put my bookmarks file on a thumbdrive and any browser on
any system will be able to read it, but if I want to use somebody else's
machine to send email to somebody whose address I don't remember I want a paper
list in my wallet so I can use whatever machine and mail program is available.

I tried portable FF and TB (windows) on a thumbdrive.  Agonizingly slow.

> Despite that, just export your address book to comma separated values
> (CSV) and open it with Excel or OpenOffice, delete columns you do not
> want or select the whole lot and apply a filter and just print it. I
> tried it and it took 30 secs...

It took me a lot longer than that and I had to do quite a bit of hand work.  I
guess I'm just not sufficiently methodical :-(

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Thunderbird addressbook printing

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 03-04-2009 02:37 CET, The Real Bev composed this enchanting statement:

> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>
>> On 30-03-2009 21:32 CET, The Real Bev composed this enchanting
>> statement:
>>> What I'd really like to be able to do is print my addressbook with
>>> only 2 fields: name and email address.
>>> <x>
>>> Am I the only one who'd like to do this?  Most of the fields in the
>>> addressbook file are absolutely useless but insist on being printed
>>> anyway :-(
>>>
>> Did you try to import your (exported) addressbook into a spreadsheet?
>
> Yup.  That was one of the steps.  I seem to remember that I deleted
> extra columns, wrote it off to a text file, read it into open office
> in a 2-column format and then had to do other stuff.  I think there
> were a couple of other steps because some of my addressbook entries
> have first name and/or last name/and or display name.  All told, a
> real pain.
>
> Do people really use all those extra fields?

Probably not, and there seems to be no limit to what each AB clone can
invent to address. Try import/export across applications and systems,
you'll be in for a treat!

My view is that for a platform there is only one system address book, to
which applications interface thru APIs. Thus, away with TB's address
books and only keep the application specifics in a (mini) SQL table.
Having said that, I must admit that the MacOS Address Book application
is pretty smart, but not very friendly to the average or occasional
user. Moreover, I do favour Thunderbird over Apple Mail, on my MacOS
version.

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: Thunderbird addressbook printing

Miles-4
* The Real Bev wrote, On 4/2/2009 17:37:

> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>
>> On 30-03-2009 21:32 CET, The Real Bev composed this enchanting statement:
>>> What I'd really like to be able to do is print my addressbook with
>>> only 2 fields: name and email address.  I would like to be able to
>>> print this in tiny print with multiple columns such that I could fit
>>> the whole thing on one sheet of paper, possibly double sided, rather
>>> than the 50-page tome I'd print if I used the TB printing facility.
>>>
>>> I've tried exporting and converting the addressbook file in a number
>>> of ways -- the best taking a lot of steps and passing the file through
>>> several different programs and being a far bigger nuisance than it
>>> should be.
>>>
>>> Am I the only one who'd like to do this?  Most of the fields in the
>>> addressbook file are absolutely useless but insist on being printed
>>> anyway :-(
>>>
>> Did you try to import your (exported) addressbook into a spreadsheet?
>
> Yup.  That was one of the steps.  I seem to remember that I deleted extra
> columns, wrote it off to a text file, read it into open office in a 2-column
> format and then had to do other stuff.  I think there were a couple of other
> steps because some of my addressbook entries have first name and/or last
> name/and or display name.  All told, a real pain.
>
> Do people really use all those extra fields?

I certainly use them when traveling.  Frequently I'm away for over a
month and the AB carries email addresses, street and home addresses,
various phone numbers, notes, etc.  In fact I recently added the
extension Birthday Reminder which is quite handy when going to
different cities/countries - also includes anniversary date.  I'll
never forget back in the '70's prior to the internet I was in business
in Taipei and leaving for Seoul in 2 days sent a telex providing
arrival date and requesting hotel, etc.  Needless to say it was sent
on Saturday and I arrived on Monday which was a holiday in that
country and no one  received the msg, hence no car to pick me up at
the airport and no hotel reservation and many hotels were fully
booked.  What fun!!  It wouldn't have been so bad if I had some money
in my pocket!  Now with the internet I watch this plus frequently add
country holidays to the notes field.
Miles