Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

caver1-5

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

WaltS48-8

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

Balaco ocalaB
Em 26-12-2017 14:39, WaltS48 escreveu:
Indeed, the address copied by Caver1 gives just an error. The one you
put here, with an "/" in its end, works fine.

Thank you

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

Balaco ocalaB
Em 26-12-2017 14:39, WaltS48 escreveu:
As said in that page, that is something bad. It just means I will (after
a good number of months from now) have to also change my most used and
favorite mail manager (as it is already happening with one of my
favorite browsers). Choices do not lack, and I think that projects
similar to what Mate Desktop is for Gnome will be created, if they not
already exist - and if the FF derivatives that already exist are not yet
equivalent in "FF world".

Sad, Mozilla. Very sad news for Thunderbird too.

On 12/26/17 11:59 AM, Ocalab wrote:

> Em 26-12-2017 14:39, WaltS48 escreveu:
>> On 12/26/17 11:19 AM, Caver1 wrote:
>>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions
>>>

>> Page not Found.
>>
>> Try
>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions/
>>

> As said in that page, that is something bad. It just means I will (after
> a good number of months from now) have to also change my most used and
> favorite mail manager (as it is already happening with one of my
> favorite browsers). Choices do not lack, and I think that projects
> similar to what Mate Desktop is for Gnome will be created, if they not
> already exist - and if the FF derivatives that already exist are not yet
> equivalent in "FF world".
>
> Sad, Mozilla. Very sad news for Thunderbird too.

Will ahve to wait and see what TB WebExtensions will be available.
Also you will still be able to change the looks with chrome.

--
Caver1

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

caver1-5
On 12/26/17 11:39 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
Sorry bad copy/paste.

--
Caver1

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

Big Al-3
On 12/26/2017 11:19 AM, Caver1 wrote:
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions

I read a post/blog a week or so ago that said Mozilla was going to adopt
the new webextensions but also leave support for legacy.   Contrary to
this news article.

I'm hoping for the 'keep support for legacy' at least for a year or so.

But I agree with the 'there goes thunderbird' idea since webextensions
make it much harder if not impossible to modify the program as much as
legacy add-ons did.  So much more complex add-ons will die a sure death.

Em 26-12-2017 15:37, Big Al escreveu:

> On 12/26/2017 11:19 AM, Caver1 wrote:
>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions
>>

> I read a post/blog a week or so ago that said Mozilla was going to adopt
> the new webextensions but also leave support for legacy.   Contrary to
> this news article.
>
> I'm hoping for the 'keep support for legacy' at least for a year or so.
>
> But I agree with the 'there goes thunderbird' idea since webextensions
> make it much harder if not impossible to modify the program as much as
> legacy add-ons did.  So much more complex add-ons will die a sure death.

If we keep using the best versions (for each of us) of programs, even
though they may not be the most recent versions available, two things
may happen:

1. A new project is derived from that version(s) we chose, and it will
be maintained for security and some eventual service updates (I am
talking about protocol and mail servers requirements that may change,
although that is fairly rare, usually taking several years to happen, if
at all).

2. Mozilla F. (or whatever represents FF, TB and other projects
development) will step back with their unwelcomed decisions.

I believe in both things as probable and feasible facts that may happen
with most open source projects, like Firefox and Thunderbird are.

The power of source.
(:

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

tanstaafl-2
On 12/26/2017, 12:37:51 PM, Big Al <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I read a post/blog a week or so ago that said Mozilla was going to adopt
> the new webextensions but also leave support for legacy.   Contrary to
> this news article.
>
> I'm hoping for the 'keep support for legacy' at least for a year or so.

The article is at the very least misleading, if not full on click-bait.

Yes, *eventually* support for legacy Addons will be forced on us, but
that is at least a year, if not 2 or 3, away.

The next version of TB stable will apparently be 60 (instead of 59 -
this assumes it still follows the Firefox ESR release schedule, which
they have changed from FF 59 to 60 for the next ESR release).

The next stable version of TB, which looks to be released in late
August, should be good for at least another 8-10 months, so that is a
good year and a half or so - but it is unlikely support for legacy
Addons will end even at the next stable release (67?) yet another 8-10
months away.

So, legacy addons are here for a while longer, which provides a lot more
time for additional APIs to be added (and Thunderbird could even add
their own APIs if desired).

So, I don't think Thunderbird is in nearly as much danger as Firefox is
in this regard - but I guess I could be wrong.

One thing I will say, while I am still very much pissed about Firefox
killing legacy Addons (I understand the argument, but disagree
vehemently with their decision to limit the webextension APIs as
drastically as they have, and to not provide a lot more time to
transition and phase-out legacy Addons), I must say, I do like the new
Firefox, and have even been able to mod the UI to almost satisfaction,
although it needs a LOT of userChrome.css tweaks.

Em 26-12-2017 16:29, Tanstaafl escreveu:

> On 12/26/2017, 12:37:51 PM, Big Al <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I read a post/blog a week or so ago that said Mozilla was going to adopt
>> the new webextensions but also leave support for legacy.   Contrary to
>> this news article.
>>
>> I'm hoping for the 'keep support for legacy' at least for a year or so.
>
> The article is at the very least misleading, if not full on click-bait.
>
> Yes, *eventually* support for legacy Addons will be forced on us, but
> that is at least a year, if not 2 or 3, away.
>
> The next version of TB stable will apparently be 60 (instead of 59 -
> this assumes it still follows the Firefox ESR release schedule, which
> they have changed from FF 59 to 60 for the next ESR release).
>
> The next stable version of TB, which looks to be released in late
> August, should be good for at least another 8-10 months, so that is a
> good year and a half or so - but it is unlikely support for legacy
> Addons will end even at the next stable release (67?) yet another 8-10
> months away.
>
> So, legacy addons are here for a while longer, which provides a lot more
> time for additional APIs to be added (and Thunderbird could even add
> their own APIs if desired).
>
> So, I don't think Thunderbird is in nearly as much danger as Firefox is
> in this regard - but I guess I could be wrong.
>
> One thing I will say, while I am still very much pissed about Firefox
> killing legacy Addons (I understand the argument, but disagree
> vehemently with their decision to limit the webextension APIs as
> drastically as they have, and to not provide a lot more time to
> transition and phase-out legacy Addons), I must say, I do like the new
> Firefox, and have even been able to mod the UI to almost satisfaction,
> although it needs a LOT of userChrome.css tweaks.

I thank you very much for showing details about your opinions and
thoughts on this whole situation involving Mozilla projects.

Best regards
(:

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

s|b-2
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 11:19:55 -0500, Caver1 wrote:

> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions

I can't seem to find a recent ESR version of TB. /Is/ there a recent ESR
version?

--
s|b

On 12/26/2017 01:29 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 12/26/2017, 12:37:51 PM, Big Al <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I read a post/blog a week or so ago that said Mozilla was going to adopt
>> the new webextensions but also leave support for legacy.   Contrary to
>> this news article.
>>
>> I'm hoping for the 'keep support for legacy' at least for a year or so.
>
> The article is at the very least misleading, if not full on click-bait.
>
> Yes, *eventually* support for legacy Addons will be forced on us, but
> that is at least a year, if not 2 or 3, away.
>
> The next version of TB stable will apparently be 60 (instead of 59 -
> this assumes it still follows the Firefox ESR release schedule, which
> they have changed from FF 59 to 60 for the next ESR release).
>
> The next stable version of TB, which looks to be released in late
> August, should be good for at least another 8-10 months, so that is a
> good year and a half or so - but it is unlikely support for legacy
> Addons will end even at the next stable release (67?) yet another 8-10
> months away.
>
> So, legacy addons are here for a while longer, which provides a lot more
> time for additional APIs to be added (and Thunderbird could even add
> their own APIs if desired).
>
> So, I don't think Thunderbird is in nearly as much danger as Firefox is
> in this regard - but I guess I could be wrong.
>
> One thing I will say, while I am still very much pissed about Firefox
> killing legacy Addons (I understand the argument, but disagree
> vehemently with their decision to limit the webextension APIs as
> drastically as they have, and to not provide a lot more time to
> transition and phase-out legacy Addons), I must say, I do like the new
> Firefox, and have even been able to mod the UI to almost satisfaction,
> although it needs a LOT of userChrome.css tweaks.

My userChrome.css is well over 1100 lines.   I've picked up patches,
mostly from
Github: https://github.com/wilfredwee/photon-australis
Github: https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx

I've got colored icons, rounded tabs, proper fonts and sizes in
toolbars, menus etc.   Firefox is quite nice looking now.

As I was looking at the code for the links above I think I may have
duped a batch of code.   But the whole 1100+ lines is a mixmash of so
many patches and some from years old that still seem to work.  Simple
stuff.  And of course so much of it I modified for color and size etc
changes.  The simple changes that most anyone can do.  Gimp image edits.

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

Hartdonor
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:36:09 +0100, in mozilla.general, s|b wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 11:19:55 -0500, Caver1 wrote:
>
>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions
>
>I can't seem to find a recent ESR version of TB. /Is/ there a recent ESR
>version?

Thunderbird is always on the ESR schedule in the release channel.

Current version is 52.5.2. Last major release was 52.0.

--
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 11:39:25 -0500, in mozilla.general, WaltS48 wrote:

>On 12/26/17 11:19 AM, Caver1 wrote:
>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions
>>

>Page not Found.
>
>Try
>https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions/

Man. I sure hope "Provider for Google Calendar" gets an update, or I'm
going to have to freeze my Thunderbird version. I absolutely depend on
being able to see my Google Calendar in Lightning.

On 12/26/17 3:36 PM, s|b wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 11:19:55 -0500, Caver1 wrote:
>
>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions
> I can't seem to find a recent ESR version of TB. /Is/ there a recent ESR
> version?

What version do you have?

Here is the most recent.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all/

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Em 26-12-2017 21:23, WaltS48 escreveu:

> On 12/26/17 3:36 PM, s|b wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 11:19:55 -0500, Caver1 wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions
>>>
>> I can't seem to find a recent ESR version of TB. /Is/ there a recent ESR
>> version?
>>
> What version do you have?
>
> Here is the most recent.
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all/

I open that page, I see the version 52.5.2 writen in the archive name in
the "Download" links, but no ESR written anywhere in that page. So the
question is still here, it seems: where do we find the most recent ESR
version of Thunderbird? My Firefox is ESR, my Thunderbird is *not*. I
want it to be ESR too, but how?

Em 26-12-2017 23:01, Ocalab escreveu:

> Em 26-12-2017 21:23, WaltS48 escreveu:

>>> I can't seem to find a recent ESR version of TB. /Is/ there a recent ESR
>>> version?
>>>
>> What version do you have?
>>
>> Here is the most recent.
>>
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all/
>>

> I open that page, I see the version 52.5.2 writen in the archive name in
> the "Download" links, but no ESR written anywhere in that page. So the
> question is still here, it seems: where do we find the most recent ESR
> version of Thunderbird? My Firefox is ESR, my Thunderbird is *not*. I
> want it to be ESR too, but how?

My OS, which is Debian 9, has firefox-esr package installed, but for
Thunderbird there is no thunderbird-esr package. Anyone around here
knows why is that?

I also have installed the unbranded version of Firefox, which is called
iceweasel. And Thunderbird's unbranded version, which is called icedove.
Both are installed. But I still want both to be ESR, and only Firefox
is. Any clues about the reason for that not really detail?

My package repository is the debian's default, so my guess is that this
is not the problem here.

On 12/26/17 8:01 PM, Ocalab wrote:

> Em 26-12-2017 21:23, WaltS48 escreveu:

>>> I can't seem to find a recent ESR version of TB. /Is/ there a recent
>>> ESR
>>> version?
>>>
>> What version do you have?
>>
>> Here is the most recent.
>>
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all/
>>

> I open that page, I see the version 52.5.2 writen in the archive name
> in the "Download" links, but no ESR written anywhere in that page. So
> the question is still here, it seems: where do we find the most recent
> ESR version of Thunderbird? My Firefox is ESR, my Thunderbird is
> *not*. I want it to be ESR too, but how?

You download it from that link.

Thunderbird's mainstream release is extended support.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/organizations/

Em 26-12-2017 23:23, WaltS48 escreveu:

> On 12/26/17 8:01 PM, Ocalab wrote:

>>> What version do you have?
>>>
>>> Here is the most recent.
>>>
>>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all/
>>>

>> I open that page, I see the version 52.5.2 writen in the archive name
>> in the "Download" links, but no ESR written anywhere in that page. So
>> the question is still here, it seems: where do we find the most recent
>> ESR version of Thunderbird? My Firefox is ESR, my Thunderbird is
>> *not*. I want it to be ESR too, but how?
>>

> You download it from that link.
>
> Thunderbird's mainstream release is extended support.
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/organizations/

Thank you very much for saying and pointing this. You are a golden user
of these groups.
(:

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

Wayne Mery
On 12/26/2017 11:59 AM, Ocalab wrote:

> Em 26-12-2017 14:39, WaltS48 escreveu:
>> On 12/26/17 11:19 AM, Caver1 wrote:
>>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions
>>>

>> Page not Found.
>>
>> Try
>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/thunderbird-will-phase-out-legacy-add-ons-will-support-webextensions/
>>

> As said in that page, that is something bad. It just means I will (after
> a good number of months from now) have to also change my most used and
> favorite mail manager (as it is already happening with one of my
> favorite browsers). Choices do not lack, and I think that projects
> similar to what Mate Desktop is for Gnome will be created, if they not
> already exist - and if the FF derivatives that already exist are not yet
> equivalent in "FF world".
>
> Sad, Mozilla. Very sad news for Thunderbird too.

It's also a sad day for accuracy in reporting.  You should ignore that blog.