Thunderbird Will Not Remember Subscriptions?

Thunderbird Will Not Remember Subscriptions?

angrie.woman
I have 7 or so newsgroups, on 2 different servers, that I subscribe to.

One server, news.chi.sbcglobal.net sort of won't remember that I am
subsribed. It keeps the list of groups handy, but if I click on one it
always asks if I want to subscribe to that group. I say "Yes" and it
downloads all messages again, not just new messages.

The other server, secnews.netscape.com doesn't seem to do that. It
behaves normally.

I thought it might have something to do with the sbcyahoo server
settings, because I'm not allowed to post from there (their admin and I
exchanged words - long story - Google if you care but not much of a
read  IMHO)  but it seems to do ok in Outlook, so I'm not sure.

Re: Thunderbird Will Not Remember Subscriptions?

walt-2
[hidden email] wrote:
> I have 7 or so newsgroups, on 2 different servers, that I subscribe to.
>
> One server, news.chi.sbcglobal.net sort of won't remember that I am
> subscribed...

The easiest test I can think of is to add another news account using
one of the other sbc news servers, and see if behaves the same way.

e.g. substitute 'sf' or 'la' for 'chi' and subscribe to the same groups.

I'm thinking maybe the files that Thunderbird writes to your home
directory have become corrupted somehow.  Adding the new server account
should tell you that, one way or the other, because it will create
an entirely new set of files just for the new account.  If it's a
bug in Thuderbird, or due to nefarious activities by their news admin
(I doubt both) then you should see identical behavior from both sbc
servers.