Thunderbird Setting Questions

Bruce-15
I'v been using Outlook Express for years, and now I'm starting to use
Thunderbird. There's something that I regularly do in OE, but can't
figure out how to do in TBird; I'm starting to think it's not possible.

In OE, when I'd get an email with an inline jpg (or any inline item,
including a webpage in HTML), and I wanted to forward it, I'd hit
forward, and the message would open with the jpg inline, and I'd just hit
send.

In TBird, when I hit forward, the jpg doesn't appear inline. When I hit
send, the forward goes out. The message is received with the jpg inline,
so that's fine. (If I look in my sent mail, the forwarded message is also
there with the jpg inline.)

I believe I have all the settings correct, but this is not possible with
TBird. Am I correct?

Is there a way to hide the folder listing on the left hand side, as in
OE?

Is there a way to change the folder listings from plain text to icons,
like using the Outlook Bar in OE?

Thanks

Re: Thunderbird Setting Questions

walt-2
Bruce wrote:

> I'v been using Outlook Express for years, and now I'm starting to use
> Thunderbird. There's something that I regularly do in OE, but can't
> figure out how to do in TBird; I'm starting to think it's not possible.
>
> In OE, when I'd get an email with an inline jpg (or any inline item,
> including a webpage in HTML), and I wanted to forward it, I'd hit
> forward, and the message would open with the jpg inline, and I'd just hit
> send.
>
> In TBird, when I hit forward, the jpg doesn't appear inline. When I hit
> send, the forward goes out. The message is received with the jpg inline,
> so that's fine. (If I look in my sent mail, the forwarded message is also
> there with the jpg inline.)
>
> I believe I have all the settings correct, but this is not possible with
> TBird. Am I correct?

I'm a bit confused when you say 'this'.  IIUC you say the forward
actually works, it's just that you can't see the message properly
when you are in the process of sending it?

What I discovered when trying to forward html messages is that TB
must be set to compose in html format by default, otherwise the
forwarded message will be converted to ascii before it appears
in the composer window.  This is a bug, IMO, and it should be
fixed.  The other silly thing TB does is to check your address
book for the intended recipient and see if he is 'permitted' to
receive html mail. If not, the message is forwarded in ascii. This
is also more like a bug than a feature, IMO.

> Is there a way to hide the folder listing on the left hand side, as in
> OE?
>
> Is there a way to change the folder listings from plain text to icons,
> like using the Outlook Bar in OE?

Not that I know of, but I'm not sure.

Re: Thunderbird Setting Questions

CBFalconer
walt wrote:

... snip ...

> What I discovered when trying to forward html messages is that
> TB must be set to compose in html format by default, otherwise
> the forwarded message will be converted to ascii before it
> appears in the composer window.  This is a bug, IMO, and it
> should be fixed.

Why do you say that?  If the user doesn't want to send HTML mail
(which is right and proper) why should the fact that some bozo sent
him HTML mail override that decision?

> The other silly thing TB does is to check your address book for
> the intended recipient and see if he is 'permitted' to receive
> html mail. If not, the message is forwarded in ascii. This is
> also more like a bug than a feature, IMO.

Again, far from silly.  Same reasoning.  HTML mail is an
execrasense and a vulnerability, and should never be used without
express permission from the receiver.

  the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article.  Click on

Re: Thunderbird Setting Questions

gwtc
Bruce wrote:

> I'v been using Outlook Express for years, and now I'm starting to use
> Thunderbird. There's something that I regularly do in OE, but can't
> figure out how to do in TBird; I'm starting to think it's not possible.
>
> In OE, when I'd get an email with an inline jpg (or any inline item,
> including a webpage in HTML), and I wanted to forward it, I'd hit
> forward, and the message would open with the jpg inline, and I'd just hit
> send.
>
> In TBird, when I hit forward, the jpg doesn't appear inline. When I hit
> send, the forward goes out. The message is received with the jpg inline,
> so that's fine. (If I look in my sent mail, the forwarded message is also
> there with the jpg inline.)
>
> I believe I have all the settings correct, but this is not possible with
> TBird. Am I correct?
>
> Is there a way to hide the folder listing on the left hand side, as in
> OE?
>
> Is there a way to change the folder listings from plain text to icons,
> like using the Outlook Bar in OE?
>
> Thanks
Tools, Options, Composition, and its very top "Forward Messages" in
the drop down, select "Inline"

Chuck F. wrote:
> walt wrote:
>>
> ... snip ...
>>
>> What I discovered when trying to forward html messages is that
>> TB must be set to compose in html format by default, otherwise
>> the forwarded message will be converted to ascii before it
>> appears in the composer window.  This is a bug, IMO, and it
>> should be fixed.

> Why do you say that?  If the user doesn't want to send HTML mail (which
> is right and proper) why should the fact that some bozo sent him HTML
> mail override that decision?

Because I *choose* to click on the 'Forward' button!  That is *my*
choice and should not be forbidden by my email client.  My email
program is my servant, not my boss.  I suppose there is some
semantic quibble involved here:  is 'Forwarding' a message the
same as 'Composing' a message.  IMO, definitely *not*.  I would
never choose to compose an html email, but I frequently wish to
forward them to people on my email joke-list.

>> The other silly thing TB does is to check your address book for
>> the intended recipient and see if he is 'permitted' to receive
>> html mail. If not, the message is forwarded in ascii. This is
>> also more like a bug than a feature, IMO.

> Again, far from silly.  Same reasoning.  HTML mail is an execrasense and
> a vulnerability, and should never be used without express permission
> from the receiver.

Ah!  After I posted my response I discovered that this knob appears
in the Preferences menu, so I humbly withdraw my objection.

However, I think this may be a bug:  I formerly had the knob set
to "Ask me what to do when one recipient does not wish to get html
mail" and yet I was never asked.  A bug is just a bug, but a policy
of deliberately frustrating the user's intentions is not the path to
success.

Re: Thunderbird Setting Questions

Bruce-15
gwtc <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:dph27e$[hidden email]:

> Bruce wrote:
>
>> I'v been using Outlook Express for years, and now I'm starting to use
>> Thunderbird. There's something that I regularly do in OE, but can't
>> figure out how to do in TBird; I'm starting to think it's not
>> possible.
>>
>> In OE, when I'd get an email with an inline jpg (or any inline item,
>> including a webpage in HTML), and I wanted to forward it, I'd hit
>> forward, and the message would open with the jpg inline, and I'd just
>> hit send.
>>
>> In TBird, when I hit forward, the jpg doesn't appear inline. When I
>> hit send, the forward goes out. The message is received with the jpg
>> inline, so that's fine. (If I look in my sent mail, the forwarded
>> message is also there with the jpg inline.)
>>
>> I believe I have all the settings correct, but this is not possible
>> with TBird. Am I correct?
>>
>> Is there a way to hide the folder listing on the left hand side, as
>> in OE?
>>
>> Is there a way to change the folder listings from plain text to
>> icons, like using the Outlook Bar in OE?
>>
>> Thanks
> Tools, Options, Composition, and its very top "Forward Messages" in
> the drop down, select "Inline"

That did it!  Thanks very much, gwtc.

Bruce