Thunderbird Performance with Large Calendars

Thunderbird Performance with Large Calendars

kfr-
We are seeing poor performance when a user adds a number of calendars.

We are using ical.js.

Thunderbird can take 5+ minutes to load and seems bogged down after all the calendars are loaded.

Do you have any suggestions on what to look at specifically?

Re: Thunderbird Performance with Large Calendars

Stefan Sitter-2
On 17.10.2016 22:52, kfr- wrote:
> We are seeing poor performance when a user adds a number of
> calendars.
>
> We are using ical.js.
>
> Thunderbird can take 5+ minutes to load and seems bogged down after
> all the calendars are loaded.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on what to look at specifically?

The experimental icaljs library has known performance regressions
compared to the default libical library. You could test with default
libical library enabled.

Next thing could be to check the various filter settings in today pane,
calendar tab and task tab. If e.g. the search bar is set to 'show all
events' than more work has to be done compared to when 'show events for
this month' is selected.

When using remote calendars you could test if enabling or disabling the
calendar cache provides a performance difference.

/Stefan

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 9:47:09 AM UTC-5, Stefan Sitter wrote:>
> The experimental icaljs library has known performance regressions
> compared to the default libical library. You could test with default
> libical library enabled.

We had to switch to ical.js because libical was locking up because of some events. We tried re-enabling libical but the lock up problem persists.

> Next thing could be to check the various filter settings in today pane,
> calendar tab and task tab. If e.g. the search bar is set to 'show all
> events' than more work has to be done compared to when 'show events for
> this month' is selected.

Filter settings did not help that much.

> When using remote calendars you could test if enabling or disabling the
> calendar cache provides a performance difference.

Disabling offline calendars has helped. It's still not fast enough.

Is there a way of telling lightning to load only future events?