Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september

The Real Bev
When I try to reply to a message posted in two or three additional
RELEVANT newsgroups, I get a message from TB that it can't post to more
than one SERVER at a time.  This makes no sense.  Does TB somehow look
into the past history and perhaps determine that the original message
and at least one of the replies were posted in DIFFERENT news severs?
Certainly the only one I use is eternal-september.

Is there something in about:config that I can change to make this go away?

No, I don't want to update -- the extensions  and .css stuff are more
essential than x-posting.

--
Cheers, Bev
   Little Mary took her skis upon the snow to frisk.

Re: Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september

Mike Easter-2
The Real Bev wrote:

> When I try to reply to a message posted in two or three additional
> RELEVANT newsgroups, I get a message from TB that it can't post to more
> than one SERVER at a time.  This makes no sense.  Does TB somehow look
> into the past history and perhaps determine that the original message
> and at least one of the replies were posted in DIFFERENT news severs?
> Certainly the only one I use is eternal-september.
>
> Is there something in about:config that I can change to make this go away?
>
> No, I don't want to update -- the extensions  and .css stuff are more
> essential than x-posting.

I read in an old narkive thread (e-s support; to you) that it is a Tb
bug which has a workaround but not a 'solution'.

No; Tb doesn't determine what you said.

The workaround (from Paul) is to put the name of the news server on the
line w/ one (or two) of the groups; you confirmed that workaround worked.

https://eternal-september.support.narkive.com/gkTizuHr/thunderbird-and-news-servers

--
Mike Easter

On 07/30/2020 01:46 PM, Mike Easter wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> When I try to reply to a message posted in two or three additional
>> RELEVANT newsgroups, I get a message from TB that it can't post to more
>> than one SERVER at a time.  This makes no sense.  Does TB somehow look
>> into the past history and perhaps determine that the original message
>> and at least one of the replies were posted in DIFFERENT news severs?
>> Certainly the only one I use is eternal-september.
>>
>> Is there something in about:config that I can change to make this go away?
>>
>> No, I don't want to update -- the extensions  and .css stuff are more
>> essential than x-posting.
>
> I read in an old narkive thread (e-s support; to you) that it is a Tb
> bug which has a workaround but not a 'solution'.
>
> No; Tb doesn't determine what you said.
>
> The workaround (from Paul) is to put the name of the news server on the
> line w/ one (or two) of the groups; you confirmed that workaround worked.
>
> https://eternal-september.support.narkive.com/gkTizuHr/thunderbird-and-news-servers

Dear god, I'm losing it.  Correction:  I've already lost it.  Now I have
to wonder why I didn't use it from then on...  FWIW, it still works.

--
Cheers, Bev
     Nobody needs to speak on behalf of idiots, they manage

The Real Bev wrote:
> Dear god, I'm losing it.  Correction:  I've already lost it.  Now I have
> to wonder why I didn't use it from then on...  FWIW, it still works.

Well, 3 y is a long time, in hamster years :-)

--
Mike Easter

On 07/30/2020 05:13 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Dear god, I'm losing it.  Correction:  I've already lost it.  Now I have
>> to wonder why I didn't use it from then on...  FWIW, it still works.
>
> Well, 3 y is a long time, in hamster years :-)

I'm going to NOT take that as sarcasm but as useful information.  The
alternative is to use bad language...

I think the reason I didn't use it was that it's easier to just delete
the newsgroups that I'm not using.

--
Cheers,Bev
    To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

The Real Bev wrote:
> I think the reason I didn't use it was that it's easier to just delete
> the newsgroups that I'm not using.

I'm a pretty strong anti-x-poster.  And I don't feel I have to respect
the x-posts of others; so, I'm very likely to delete groups that I am
not subscribed to.  When I'm feeling strongly anti-x-post, I always
delete the groups except for the one I read the msg.

Consequently, in a world of mixed x-posters and anti-x-posters, we get
split threads.  I also have a problem w/ people posting into groups they
aren't subscribed/ don't read.  So, if I reply to a x-posted msg and
delete the groups I don't read and 'my' group is a group the x-poster
doesn't read, then the 'attributed one' doesn't even see my msg.

Mixing x-posters and anti-x-posters is a little bit like mixing
non-trimming top posters with those who trim and post in line.  I don't
like the term 'bottom posters' because some of those are non-trimmers
which resembles being worse than non-trimming top posters.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september

EnDeeGee-3
On 31-Jul-2020 15:25, Mike Easter wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> I think the reason I didn't use it was that it's easier to just delete
>> the newsgroups that I'm not using.
>
> I'm a pretty strong anti-x-poster.  And I don't feel I have to respect
> the x-posts of others; so, I'm very likely to delete groups that I am
> not subscribed to.  When I'm feeling strongly anti-x-post, I always
> delete the groups except for the one I read the msg.
>
> Consequently, in a world of mixed x-posters and anti-x-posters, we get
> split threads.  I also have a problem w/ people posting into groups they
> aren't subscribed/ don't read.  So, if I reply to a x-posted msg and
> delete the groups I don't read and 'my' group is a group the x-poster
> doesn't read, then the 'attributed one' doesn't even see my msg.
>
> Mixing x-posters and anti-x-posters is a little bit like mixing
> non-trimming top posters with those who trim and post in line.  I don't
> like the term 'bottom posters' because some of those are non-trimmers
> which resembles being worse than non-trimming top posters.

...and here we go, nobody is perfect. :-)

Re: Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september

Daniel-3
Mike Easter wrote on 1/08/2020 5:25 AM:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> I think the reason I didn't use it was that it's easier to just delete
>> the newsgroups that I'm not using.
>
> I'm a pretty strong anti-x-poster.  And I don't feel I have to respect
> the x-posts of others; so, I'm very likely to delete groups that I am
> not subscribed to.  When I'm feeling strongly anti-x-post, I always
> delete the groups except for the one I read the msg.
>
> Consequently, in a world of mixed x-posters and anti-x-posters, we get
> split threads.  I also have a problem w/ people posting into groups they
> aren't subscribed/ don't read.  So, if I reply to a x-posted msg and
> delete the groups I don't read and 'my' group is a group the x-poster
> doesn't read, then the 'attributed one' doesn't even see my msg.
>
> Mixing x-posters and anti-x-posters is a little bit like mixing
> non-trimming top posters with those who trim and post in line.  I don't
> like the term 'bottom posters' because some of those are non-trimmers
> which resembles being worse than non-trimming top posters.

And, with TB/SM *NOT* marking Cross-posts as read, when replying to a
cross-posted message, wouldn't it make sense to delete those
cross-posted groups that you do read .... so you don't have to read and
re-read your own reply?? :-P
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 19:22:22, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[]
>And, with TB/SM *NOT* marking Cross-posts as read, when replying to a
>cross-posted message, wouldn't it make sense to delete those
>cross-posted groups that you do read .... so you don't have to read and
>re-read your own reply?? :-P

That - TB not marking crossposts as read (presumably when you've read
them in one 'group) - is tedious; I hadn't known about it (I've not
switched to TB yet). Is there an (older) addon that sorts this?

The first banjo solo I played was actually just a series of mistakes. In fact
it was all the mistakes I knew at the time. - Tim Dowling, RT2015/6/20-26

Re: Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september

WaltS48-12
On 8/1/20 9:06 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 19:22:22, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> []
>> And, with TB/SM *NOT* marking Cross-posts as read, when replying to a
>> cross-posted message, wouldn't it make sense to delete those
>> cross-posted groups that you do read .... so you don't have to read
>> and re-read your own reply?? :-P
>
> That - TB not marking crossposts as read (presumably when you've read
> them in one 'group) - is tedious; I hadn't known about it (I've not
> switched to TB yet). Is there an (older) addon that sorts this?

There should only be one cross-post, with a followup set to one of the
newsgroups.

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/>

I just select all of the offending messages and hit Delete.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

On 08/01/2020 07:13 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 8/1/20 9:06 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 19:22:22, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> []
>>> And, with TB/SM *NOT* marking Cross-posts as read, when replying to a
>>> cross-posted message, wouldn't it make sense to delete those
>>> cross-posted groups that you do read .... so you don't have to read
>>> and re-read your own reply?? :-P
>>
>> That - TB not marking crossposts as read (presumably when you've read
>> them in one 'group) - is tedious; I hadn't known about it (I've not
>> switched to TB yet). Is there an (older) addon that sorts this?
>
> There should only be one cross-post, with a followup set to one of the
> newsgroups.
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/>
>
> I just select all of the offending messages and hit Delete.

This is for the mozilla groups.

The x-posts I was talking about are in three groups involving
cellphones, all of which are relevant.  I only read the one with the
most posts, but I figure if people in the other groups are following I
should maintain the x-posts out of courtesy.  If I had the energy I'd
temporarily subscribe to those groups and see if thee are any other
posts besides these, which would save me a LOT of trouble!

--
Cheers, Bev
    "You won't like me when I'm angry because I always back up my rage

Re: Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september

WaltS48-11
On 8/1/20 1:06 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 08/01/2020 07:13 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 8/1/20 9:06 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 19:22:22, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> []
>>>
>>> That - TB not marking crossposts as read (presumably when you've read
>>> them in one 'group) - is tedious; I hadn't known about it (I've not
>>> switched to TB yet). Is there an (older) addon that sorts this?
>>
>> There should only be one cross-post, with a followup set to one of the
>> newsgroups.
>>
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/>
>>
>> I just select all of the offending messages and hit Delete.
>
> This is for the mozilla groups.
>
> The x-posts I was talking about are in three groups involving
> cellphones, all of which are relevant.  I only read the one with the
> most posts, but I figure if people in the other groups are following I
> should maintain the x-posts out of courtesy.  If I had the energy I'd
> temporarily subscribe to those groups and see if thee are any other
> posts besides these, which would save me a LOT of trouble!

The same etiquette should apply. IMHO

crossposted posts, and seeing them multiple times in Thunderbird (was: Re: Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september)

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 13:39:25, WaltS48 <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 8/1/20 1:06 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> There should only be one cross-post, with a followup set to one of the
>>> newsgroups.
>>>
>>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/>
>>>
>>> I just select all of the offending messages and hit Delete.

Whether your point is correct or not (it may be within the mozilla
'groups as per your link), you have commandeered my question to make
your point - and while doing so, have not actually answered the
question.

>>  This is for the mozilla groups.
>>  The x-posts I was talking about are in three groups involving
>>cellphones, all of which are relevant.  I only read the one with the
>>most posts, but I figure if people in the other groups are following I
>>should maintain the x-posts out of courtesy.  If I had the energy I'd
>>temporarily subscribe to those groups and see if thee are any other
>>posts besides these, which would save me a LOT of trouble!
>>

>The same etiquette should apply. IMHO

The thing about smut is it harms no one and it's rarely cruel. Besides, it's a
gleeful rejection of the dreary and the "correct".
- Alison Graham, RT 2014/10/25-31

Re: Thunderbird 38 and eternal-september

Rink
Op 30-7-2020 om 20:50 schreef The Real Bev:
> When I try to reply to a message posted in two or three additional
> RELEVANT newsgroups, I get a message from TB that it can't post to more
> than one SERVER at a time.  This makes no sense.  Does TB somehow look
> into the past history and perhaps determine that the original message
> and at least one of the replies were posted in DIFFERENT news severs?
> Certainly the only one I use is eternal-september.

How can you post in this newsgroup via eternal-september?

I use news.mozilla.org

Rink