Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Mark Banner-3
Mozilla Messaging is happy to announce that Thunderbird 3 is now
available for download:

http://www.getthunderbird.com/

Thunderbird 3 has been under development for the past two years, and
contains many new features we’re excited about and we think users will
enjoy.

Some of the new features:

     * Tabbed Email.
     * The new search experience is much faster, and new search tools
will help you narrow down your search.
     * A new Message Archive folder system will help you organize your
email.
     * Lots of user experience improvements: main toolbar has been
simplified, new search widget, new Mail Account Wizard, Smart Folders,
Activity Manager, one-click Address Book, Attachment Reminder.
     * Thunderbird 3 is available in 49 languages – get your local version:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html

As always Thunderbird 3 is available as a free download:

We encourage developers to read the Thunderbird 3 for Developers article
on the Mozilla Developer Center:

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Thunderbird_3_for_developers

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Cal Tinson
On 12/8/2009 5:48 PM eastern, Mark Banner wrote:

> Mozilla Messaging is happy to announce that Thunderbird 3 is now
> available for download:
>
> http://www.getthunderbird.com/
>
> Thunderbird 3 has been under development for the past two years, and
> contains many new features we’re excited about and we think users will
> enjoy.
>
> Some of the new features:
>
>     * Tabbed Email.
>     * The new search experience is much faster, and new search tools
> will help you narrow down your search.
>     * A new Message Archive folder system will help you organize your
> email.
>     * Lots of user experience improvements: main toolbar has been
> simplified, new search widget, new Mail Account Wizard, Smart Folders,
> Activity Manager, one-click Address Book, Attachment Reminder.
>     * Thunderbird 3 is available in 49 languages – get your local
> version:
>
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
>
> As always Thunderbird 3 is available as a free download:
>
> We encourage developers to read the Thunderbird 3 for Developers article
> on the Mozilla Developer Center:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Thunderbird_3_for_developers

Hi, Mark - It's certainly a bit disconcerting that, apparently using
TB3, your announcement does not display properly in several places on my
machine using 2.0.0.23 set for plain text. Your bad or a TB3 bad?

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Mark Banner-2
On 08/12/2009 22:56, Cal Tinson wrote:
> Hi, Mark - It's certainly a bit disconcerting that, apparently using
> TB3, your announcement does not display properly in several places on my
> machine using 2.0.0.23 set for plain text. Your bad or a TB3 bad?

It looks fine here, you haven't said what is wrong with it, which
doesn't help. Your text is also confusing as you're implying it display
badly on both TB 3 and 2.0.0.23.

Standard8

On 12/8/2009 6:02 PM eastern, Mark Banner wrote:

> On 08/12/2009 22:56, Cal Tinson wrote:
>> Hi, Mark - It's certainly a bit disconcerting that, apparently using
>> TB3, your announcement does not display properly in several places on my
>> machine using 2.0.0.23 set for plain text. Your bad or a TB3 bad?
>
> It looks fine here, you haven't said what is wrong with it, which
> doesn't help. Your text is also confusing as you're implying it
> display badly on both TB 3 and 2.0.0.23.
>
> Standard8

features we’re excited about
49 languages – get your local version

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2009/12/08 5:13 PM  Cal Tinson wrote:

> On 12/8/2009 6:02 PM eastern, Mark Banner wrote:
>> On 08/12/2009 22:56, Cal Tinson wrote:
>>> Hi, Mark - It's certainly a bit disconcerting that, apparently using
>>> TB3, your announcement does not display properly in several places
>>> on my
>>> machine using 2.0.0.23 set for plain text. Your bad or a TB3 bad?
>>
>> It looks fine here, you haven't said what is wrong with it, which
>> doesn't help. Your text is also confusing as you're implying it
>> display badly on both TB 3 and 2.0.0.23.
>>
>> Standard8
>>
> features we’re excited about
> 49 languages – get your local version

Problem is at your end. It looks like a character encoding problem. His
message was sent with charset=UTF-8. Yours was with
charset=windows-1252. You probably have Thunderbird set to use
charset=windows-1252 for reading all incoming messages. Change it in you
preference settings to read incoming messages with the charset they were
sent in.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada

On 12/8/2009 6:31 PM eastern, Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2009/12/08 5:13 PM  Cal Tinson wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks fine here, you haven't said what is wrong with it, which
>>> doesn't help. Your text is also confusing as you're implying it
>>> display badly on both TB 3 and 2.0.0.23.
>>>
>>> Standard8
>>>
>> features we�re excited about
>> 49 languages ââ?¬â?? get your local version
>
> Problem is at your end. It looks like a character encoding problem. His
> message was sent with charset=UTF-8. Yours was with
> charset=windows-1252. You probably have Thunderbird set to use
> charset=windows-1252 for reading all incoming messages. Change it in you
> preference settings to read incoming messages with the charset they were
> sent in.

Thanks, Larry - very interesting. I've been set for Western (ISO 8859-1)
"forever", and never noticed this before. If I set View to UTF-8, Mark's
message looks OK. (Autodetect does NOT help.) I'm not about to change
encoding settings depending on who's sending.

BTW, I agree I sent in 1252, although I'm NOT set to do that. It appears
that replying to UTF-8 causes this.

I'm still not sure what's going on, but based on this and a number of
negative comments here (yes, I know negatives outweigh positives in
newsgroups), I think I'll stay put with 2.0.0.23 for the time being.

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Ron Hunter
On 12/8/2009 4:56 PM, Cal Tinson wrote:

> On 12/8/2009 5:48 PM eastern, Mark Banner wrote:
>> Mozilla Messaging is happy to announce that Thunderbird 3 is now
>> available for download:
>>
>> http://www.getthunderbird.com/
>>
>> Thunderbird 3 has been under development for the past two years, and
>> contains many new features we’re excited about and we think users
>> will enjoy.
>>
>> Some of the new features:
>>
>> * Tabbed Email.
>> * The new search experience is much faster, and new search tools will
>> help you narrow down your search.
>> * A new Message Archive folder system will help you organize your email.
>> * Lots of user experience improvements: main toolbar has been
>> simplified, new search widget, new Mail Account Wizard, Smart Folders,
>> Activity Manager, one-click Address Book, Attachment Reminder.
>> * Thunderbird 3 is available in 49 languages – get your local version:
>>
>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
>>
>> As always Thunderbird 3 is available as a free download:
>>
>> We encourage developers to read the Thunderbird 3 for Developers
>> article on the Mozilla Developer Center:
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Thunderbird_3_for_developers
>
> Hi, Mark - It's certainly a bit disconcerting that, apparently using
> TB3, your announcement does not display properly in several places on my
> machine using 2.0.0.23 set for plain text. Your bad or a TB3 bad?

Looks fine here.

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

David E. Ross-3
On 12/8/2009 2:48 PM, Mark Banner wrote:

> Mozilla Messaging is happy to announce that Thunderbird 3 is now
> available for download:
>
> http://www.getthunderbird.com/
>
> Thunderbird 3 has been under development for the past two years, and
> contains many new features we’re excited about and we think users will
> enjoy.
>
> Some of the new features:
>
>      * Tabbed Email.
>      * The new search experience is much faster, and new search tools
> will help you narrow down your search.
>      * A new Message Archive folder system will help you organize your
> email.
>      * Lots of user experience improvements: main toolbar has been
> simplified, new search widget, new Mail Account Wizard, Smart Folders,
> Activity Manager, one-click Address Book, Attachment Reminder.
>      * Thunderbird 3 is available in 49 languages – get your local version:
>
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
>
> As always Thunderbird 3 is available as a free download:
>
> We encourage developers to read the Thunderbird 3 for Developers article
> on the Mozilla Developer Center:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Thunderbird_3_for_developers

What happened to the FTP site for downloading Thunderbird -- and the
other Mozilla-related products?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Robert Kaiser
Mark Banner wrote:
> Mozilla Messaging is happy to announce that Thunderbird 3 is now
> available for download

Congratulations to the whole Thunderbird team and community, you guys
have done a great job!

Let's raise our glasses to Thunderbird 3 and celebrate!

Looking forward to further good cooperation,

Robert Kaiser

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

defaria
On 12/08/2009 06:30 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> What happened to the FTP site for downloading Thunderbird -- and the
> other Mozilla-related products?
Nothing. It's where it always was. What did you try?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Rimas Kudelis
2009.12.09 03:03, Cal Tinson rašė:

> On 12/8/2009 6:31 PM eastern, Larry Gusaas wrote:

>>> features we�re excited about
>>> 49 languages ââ?¬â?? get your local version
>>
>> Problem is at your end. It looks like a character encoding problem.
>> His message was sent with charset=UTF-8. Yours was with
>> charset=windows-1252. You probably have Thunderbird set to use
>> charset=windows-1252 for reading all incoming messages. Change it in
>> you preference settings to read incoming messages with the charset
>> they were sent in.
>>
> Thanks, Larry - very interesting. I've been set for Western (ISO 8859-1)
> "forever", and never noticed this before. If I set View to UTF-8, Mark's
> message looks OK. (Autodetect does NOT help.) I'm not about to change
> encoding settings depending on who's sending.
>
> BTW, I agree I sent in 1252, although I'm NOT set to do that. It appears
> that replying to UTF-8 causes this.
>
> I'm still not sure what's going on, but based on this and a number of
> negative comments here (yes, I know negatives outweigh positives in
> newsgroups), I think I'll stay put with 2.0.0.23 for the time being.

I guess the problem is that you've set the option where the default
character set you've set OVERRIDES whatever is in the header of a
message. Make sure to uncheck that checkbox, you'll find it in the
properties dialog for this newsgroup and/or in global preferences dialog.

Hope this helps,
RQ

2009.12.09 03:30, David E. Ross rašė:

> On 12/8/2009 2:48 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
>> Mozilla Messaging is happy to announce that Thunderbird 3 is now
>> available for download:
>>
>> http://www.getthunderbird.com/
>>
>> Thunderbird 3 has been under development for the past two years, and
>> contains many new features we’re excited about and we think users will
>> enjoy.
>>
>> Some of the new features:
>>
>>      * Tabbed Email.
>>      * The new search experience is much faster, and new search tools
>> will help you narrow down your search.
>>      * A new Message Archive folder system will help you organize your
>> email.
>>      * Lots of user experience improvements: main toolbar has been
>> simplified, new search widget, new Mail Account Wizard, Smart Folders,
>> Activity Manager, one-click Address Book, Attachment Reminder.
>>      * Thunderbird 3 is available in 49 languages – get your local version:
>>
>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
>>
>> As always Thunderbird 3 is available as a free download:
>>
>> We encourage developers to read the Thunderbird 3 for Developers article
>> on the Mozilla Developer Center:
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Thunderbird_3_for_developers
>
> What happened to the FTP site for downloading Thunderbird -- and the
> other Mozilla-related products?

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ?

RQ

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Pavol Mišík
Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> 2009.12.09 03:30, David E. Ross rašė:
>> On 12/8/2009 2:48 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
>>> Mozilla Messaging is happy to announce that Thunderbird 3 is now
>>> available for download:
>>>
>>> http://www.getthunderbird.com/
>>>
>>> Thunderbird 3 has been under development for the past two years, and
>>> contains many new features we’re excited about and we think users will
>>> enjoy.
>>>
>>> Some of the new features:
>>>
>>>      * Tabbed Email.
>>>      * The new search experience is much faster, and new search tools
>>> will help you narrow down your search.
>>>      * A new Message Archive folder system will help you organize your
>>> email.
>>>      * Lots of user experience improvements: main toolbar has been
>>> simplified, new search widget, new Mail Account Wizard, Smart Folders,
>>> Activity Manager, one-click Address Book, Attachment Reminder.
>>>      * Thunderbird 3 is available in 49 languages – get your local version:
>>>
>>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
>>>
>>> As always Thunderbird 3 is available as a free download:
>>>
>>> We encourage developers to read the Thunderbird 3 for Developers article
>>> on the Mozilla Developer Center:
>>>
>>> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Thunderbird_3_for_developers
>> What happened to the FTP site for downloading Thunderbird -- and the
>> other Mozilla-related products?
>>

> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ?
>
> RQ
Thunderbird 3.0 is here:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/3.0/

PM-

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Ben Bucksch
Congratulations to all who were involved with it (tons of people)!

Ben

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Terry Gamble
Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Congratulations to all who were involved with it (tons of people)!
>
> Ben
Thunderbird 3.0 is not compatible with Kaspersky plugin. Made everything
  blank

Terry

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

merbald
Hello there,

I just downloaded and installed TB3 now that the stable release is
available. However, it does not support Lightning at this time and I
don't really want to install Sunbird as a seperate thing. I always
thought there were plans to include a calendar to TB3 as a default. Now
Lightning can't even be used with TB3. Well, in the meantime I'll check
all the new features of TB3. Installing was no problem, and my mail
folders are there, though I would prefer to have them as subfolders of
the inbox as I had them with TB2. But that's not a very big problem - I
think I could get used to the new structure.

BTW I first wanted to install TB3 seperately from TB3 but the installer
didn't give me any option. At least nothing was damaged, at least not
that I can see anything during my first check.

And I also hope there'll soon be a version of  "stationery" for TB3,
I've always used it.

Max

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

James D. Peterson
This updating to the latest lightning nightly version.  I have not had
an issue with the update.   Lightning is working fine.

On 12/9/09 8:17 AM, merbald wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I just downloaded and installed TB3 now that the stable release is
> available. However, it does not support Lightning at this time and I
> don't really want to install Sunbird as a seperate thing. I always
> thought there were plans to include a calendar to TB3 as a default.
> Now Lightning can't even be used with TB3. Well, in the meantime I'll
> check all the new features of TB3. Installing was no problem, and my
> mail folders are there, though I would prefer to have them as
> subfolders of the inbox as I had them with TB2. But that's not a very
> big problem - I think I could get used to the new structure.
>
> BTW I first wanted to install TB3 seperately from TB3 but the
> installer didn't give me any option. At least nothing was damaged, at
> least not that I can see anything during my first check.
>
> And I also hope there'll soon be a version of  "stationery" for TB3,
> I've always used it.
>
> Max

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Wayne Mery
On 12/9/2009 9:03 AM, Terry Gamble wrote:
> Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> Congratulations to all who were involved with it (tons of people)!
>>
>> Ben
> Thunderbird 3.0 is not compatible with Kaspersky plugin. Made everything
> blank
>
> Terry

or maybe Kaspersky not compatible with TB3? :)

followups to m.support.thunderbird

On 09.12.2009 15:17, merbald wrote:
> my mail folders are there, though I would prefer to have them as
> subfolders of the inbox as I had them with TB2. But that's not a very
> big problem - I think I could get used to the new structure.

You skipped the migration wizard. You can get to it in menu Help |
Migration Assistant, which lets you choose between "smart folder"
(combined) and the old view.

Re: Thunderbird 3 is now available for download

Rolf Gloor-3
Am 08.12.2009 23:48, schrieb Mark Banner:
> Mozilla Messaging is happy to announce that Thunderbird 3 is now
> available for download:

Hi David, hi Mark, hi TB3 Team

Congratulations. TB3 is a great product and especially a great platform.

I know that a lot of work has gone into the backend, from which only
some parts are now visible to the user.
However, this prepares the ground for many new upcoming features and
updates, I've been waiting for.

Best wishes to the whole TB3 Team / Crew for the great work and all the
best for the next building stones. (Which are now coming much faster
with the new release schedule.) ;-)

Greetings from Switzerland,
Rolf