Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Mark Banner-3
Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 is now available for download [1]. This milestone
is focused on testing the core functionality of the new features and
platform changes that will be included in Thunderbird 3. For additional
information about the new features, visit this blog post [2].

This is the last planned beta before the final release of Thunderbird 3.

New features and changes in this milestone that require feedback include:

     * New Search with advanced filtering tools
     * Redesigned Mail Toolbar and Global Search field
     * New Mail Account Setup Wizard

Downloading

Please read the release notes [3] before downloading for more
information about this release including known issues [4].

Testers can download Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 builds [1] for Windows, Mac OS
X, and Linux in 43 different languages.

[1]
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/early_releases/downloads/
[2] http://ccgi.standard8.plus.com/blog/archives/270
[3] http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/
[4]
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/#issues

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Russell East
Nice work guys!   Some nervous moments while I uninstalled old
CompactHeaders and Lightning extensions because they no longer worked,
then reinstalled the latest versions, and all that I like works so far.

One odd, but easily fixable, thing happened in the Mail toolbar.  Under
Beta 3 and earlier, I have "icons only" and "small icons" options set,
But as soon as B4 started up, it showed "icons+text" and "large icons".
   To fix, I just flip-flopped those options to get what I wanted.
Presumably mail toolbar options have been auto-reset, because of major
changes to that toolbar?

Btw, I love the simplicity of the initial mail toolbar arrangement.
The Message Header now looks somewhat cluttered with all those buttons,
however, CompactHeaders (with 2-line header) certainly helps with the
clutter IMO.

Thanks,
-- Russell

On 22-Sep-09 9:39 AM, Mark Banner wrote:

> Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 is now available for download [1]. This milestone
> is focused on testing the core functionality of the new features and
> platform changes that will be included in Thunderbird 3. For additional
> information about the new features, visit this blog post [2].
>
> This is the last planned beta before the final release of Thunderbird 3.
>
> New features and changes in this milestone that require feedback include:
>
> * New Search with advanced filtering tools
> * Redesigned Mail Toolbar and Global Search field
> * New Mail Account Setup Wizard
>
> Downloading
>
> Please read the release notes [3] before downloading for more
> information about this release including known issues [4].
>
> Testers can download Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 builds [1] for Windows, Mac OS
> X, and Linux in 43 different languages.
>
> [1]
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/early_releases/downloads/
> [2] http://ccgi.standard8.plus.com/blog/archives/270
> [3] http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/
> [4]
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/#issues

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Vinay Y S-2
I've got over 25000 e-mails in various archives folders. And right after
upgrade it started to download older messages and started indexing them.
Is there a way to selectively enable/disable indexing on a per folder basis?

Thanks,
Vinay

On 22/09/09 10:09 PM, Mark Banner wrote:

> Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 is now available for download [1]. This milestone
> is focused on testing the core functionality of the new features and
> platform changes that will be included in Thunderbird 3. For additional
> information about the new features, visit this blog post [2].
>
> This is the last planned beta before the final release of Thunderbird 3.
>
> New features and changes in this milestone that require feedback include:
>
> * New Search with advanced filtering tools
> * Redesigned Mail Toolbar and Global Search field
> * New Mail Account Setup Wizard
>
> Downloading
>
> Please read the release notes [3] before downloading for more
> information about this release including known issues [4].
>
> Testers can download Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 builds [1] for Windows, Mac OS
> X, and Linux in 43 different languages.
>
> [1]
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/early_releases/downloads/
> [2] http://ccgi.standard8.plus.com/blog/archives/270
> [3] http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/
> [4]
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/#issues

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Vinay Y S-2
Forgot to mention that it hogs lot of cpu while doing this indexing
which is the problem.
On 22/09/09 11:48 PM, Vinay Y S wrote:

> I've got over 25000 e-mails in various archives folders. And right after
> upgrade it started to download older messages and started indexing them.
> Is there a way to selectively enable/disable indexing on a per folder
> basis?
>
> Thanks,
> Vinay
>
> On 22/09/09 10:09 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
>> Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 is now available for download [1]. This milestone
>> is focused on testing the core functionality of the new features and
>> platform changes that will be included in Thunderbird 3. For additional
>> information about the new features, visit this blog post [2].
>>
>> This is the last planned beta before the final release of Thunderbird 3.
>>
>> New features and changes in this milestone that require feedback include:
>>
>> * New Search with advanced filtering tools
>> * Redesigned Mail Toolbar and Global Search field
>> * New Mail Account Setup Wizard
>>
>> Downloading
>>
>> Please read the release notes [3] before downloading for more
>> information about this release including known issues [4].
>>
>> Testers can download Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 builds [1] for Windows, Mac OS
>> X, and Linux in 43 different languages.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/early_releases/downloads/
>>
>> [2] http://ccgi.standard8.plus.com/blog/archives/270
>> [3] http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/
>> [4]
>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/#issues

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Mark Banner-2
On 22/09/2009 19:18, Vinay Y S wrote:
> I've got over 25000 e-mails in various archives folders. And right after
> upgrade it started to download older messages and started indexing them.
> Is there a way to selectively enable/disable indexing on a per folder
> basis?

 From the release notes:

"This feature can be enabled on an individual folder basis via Folder
properties, or for all folders in an account via Account Settings /
'Synchronize & Storage'."

Standard8

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Wayne Mery
High CPU is expected with indexing.  However, if the high CPU causes a
usability/performance problem with other apps or within thunderbird,
then please file a bug.  It should be throttling such that it does not
cause such problems.

On 9/22/2009 2:47 PM, Vinay Y S wrote:

> Forgot to mention that it hogs lot of cpu while doing this indexing
> which is the problem.
> On 22/09/09 11:48 PM, Vinay Y S wrote:
>> I've got over 25000 e-mails in various archives folders. And right after
>> upgrade it started to download older messages and started indexing them.
>> Is there a way to selectively enable/disable indexing on a per folder
>> basis?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vinay
>>
>> On 22/09/09 10:09 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
>>> Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 is now available for download [1]. This milestone
>>> is focused on testing the core functionality of the new features and
>>> platform changes that will be included in Thunderbird 3. For additional
>>> information about the new features, visit this blog post [2].
>>>
>>> This is the last planned beta before the final release of Thunderbird 3.
>>>
>>> New features and changes in this milestone that require feedback
>>> include:
>>>
>>> * New Search with advanced filtering tools
>>> * Redesigned Mail Toolbar and Global Search field
>>> * New Mail Account Setup Wizard
>>>
>>> Downloading
>>>
>>> Please read the release notes [3] before downloading for more
>>> information about this release including known issues [4].
>>>
>>> Testers can download Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 builds [1] for Windows, Mac OS
>>> X, and Linux in 43 different languages.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/early_releases/downloads/
>>>

>>> [2] http://ccgi.standard8.plus.com/blog/archives/270
>>> [3]
>>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/
>>> [4]
>>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0b4/releasenotes/#issues

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

R Kent James
On 9/22/2009 11:47 AM, Vinay Y S wrote:
> Forgot to mention that it hogs lot of cpu while doing this indexing
> which is the problem.

The indexing algorithm is supposed to adapt quickly to user interaction,
so that even though cpu is being used, it has very little impact on the
user's interaction with the computer.

Is there any specific problem being caused by the indexing, other than
"lot of cpu"?

rkent

On 22/09/2009 20:59, Simon Paquet wrote:

> Mark Banner wrote:
>
>>> I've got over 25000 e-mails in various archives folders. And right after
>>> upgrade it started to download older messages and started indexing them.
>>> Is there a way to selectively enable/disable indexing on a per folder
>>> basis?
>>
>>  From the release notes:
>>
>> "This feature can be enabled on an individual folder basis via Folder
>> properties, or for all folders in an account via Account Settings /
>> 'Synchronize&  Storage'."
>
> At least on my installation this is not true and both options do not
> exist. I'm writing this on a nightly build from today with just one POP3
> account. I also deleted xul.mfl and localstore.rdf and restarted Shredder
> to confirm that both options are not where you say they are.

That is because they aren't on POP3 servers - I neglected to include the
title that it relates to IMAP only: "Performance improvements" / "IMAP
Folder Synchronization".

I was assuming Vinay was using an IMAP server.

AFAIK pop3 shouldn't download additional messages as nothing has changed
there (they will be indexed though).

Standard8

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Peter Lairo-3
On 22.09.2009 19:35, Russell East wrote:
> Some nervous moments while I uninstalled old CompactHeaders and
> Lightning extensions [...]
>
> Btw, I love the simplicity of the initial mail toolbar arrangement. The
> Message Header now looks somewhat cluttered with all those buttons,
> however, CompactHeaders (with 2-line header) certainly helps with the
> clutter IMO.

Yes, the CompactHeader add-on fixes the clutter (and the text-only
icons). You can get it here:

Screenshot of my CompactHeader: www.grabup.com/uploads/d1279072d3f4.png

Screenshot of my Preferences: www.grabup.com/uploads/7ad4c1a24be5.png

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:  www.Firefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:         www.GetThunderbird.com

Islam:  http://www.jihadwatch.org/islam101/
Israel: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths2/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:  http://www.venganza.org/

"So, why don't we ever talk about the sun's contribution to global
warming? Well, because we can't regulate it, tax it, or make it feel
guilty for what it's doing" (www.WhatYouOughtToKnow.com)

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Ludovic Hirlimann-3
On 9/22/09 10:07 PM, Mark Banner wrote:

>>>  From the release notes:
>>>
>>> "This feature can be enabled on an individual folder basis via Folder
>>> properties, or for all folders in an account via Account Settings /
>>> 'Synchronize&  Storage'."
>>
>> At least on my installation this is not true and both options do not
>> exist. I'm writing this on a nightly build from today with just one POP3
>> account. I also deleted xul.mfl and localstore.rdf and restarted Shredder
>> to confirm that both options are not where you say they are.
>
> That is because they aren't on POP3 servers - I neglected to include the
> title that it relates to IMAP only: "Performance improvements" / "IMAP
> Folder Synchronization".
>
> I was assuming Vinay was using an IMAP server.
>
> AFAIK pop3 shouldn't download additional messages as nothing has changed
> there (they will be indexed though).

I think Vinay is talking about gloda and not autsosync.

Ludo
--
Ludovic Hirlimann MozillaMessaging QA lead
http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/79/2

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Brian Lu
Mark,

mozilla/configure (in the beta4 source tarball) requires the NSPR should
be 4.8.0 or later.

But checking the http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/,  the current
release is 4.7.4

Why Thunderbird 3.0beta4 depends on an unreleased NSPR version?

Regards

Brian

On 23/09/2009 10:19, [hidden email] wrote:
> mozilla/configure (in the beta4 source tarball) requires the NSPR should
> be 4.8.0 or later.
> But checking the http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/, the current
> release is 4.7.4
>
> Why Thunderbird 3.0beta4 depends on an unreleased NSPR version?

Do the same with the latest Firefox release (or maybe 3.5.4 when it
comes out) and you'll find the same NSPR version requirement.

NSPR & NSS are updated/released by the NSPR/NSS group and are pushed to
mozilla-central and mozilla-1.9.1 and other appropriate branches when
they are ready to - i.e. the Thunderbird team doesn't have direct
control over them.

Looking on the ftp site I see 4.8 there. So it is quite possible they
haven't updated their website. I would suggest asking on
mozilla.dev.tech.nspr for more information.

Standard8

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Magnus Melin
On 22.09.2009 23:00, Kent James wrote:

> On 9/22/2009 11:47 AM, Vinay Y S wrote:
>> Forgot to mention that it hogs lot of cpu while doing this indexing
>> which is the problem.
>
> The indexing algorithm is supposed to adapt quickly to user interaction,
> so that even though cpu is being used, it has very little impact on the
> user's interaction with the computer.
>
> Is there any specific problem being caused by the indexing, other than
> "lot of cpu"?

I've had a lot of high cpu with caused by gloda indexing too. At least when tb
is in the background it easily starts using a lot of cpu (constantly 10-55%) -
which is clearly unacceptable especially when other applications need some too.

  -Magnus

On 9/24/2009 10:56 AM, Magnus Melin wrote:

> I've had a lot of high cpu with caused by gloda indexing too. At least
> when tb is in the background it easily starts using a lot of cpu
> (constantly 10-55%) - which is clearly unacceptable especially when
> other applications need some too.
>
> -Magnus

If you touch your UI, gloda indexing instantly backs off. Even when
fully in the background, it should still behave reasonably even if other
applications needs cpu - particularly since it is not going to use more
than one core.

Try something that requires high CPU (like watching an online Netflix
movie on a slow, single CPU computer, which is my test case) and see if
gloda performs reasonably. In my case, it does.

rkent

On 24.09.2009 21:40, Kent James wrote:

> On 9/24/2009 10:56 AM, Magnus Melin wrote:
>>
>> I've had a lot of high cpu with caused by gloda indexing too. At least
>> when tb is in the background it easily starts using a lot of cpu
>> (constantly 10-55%) - which is clearly unacceptable especially when
>> other applications need some too.
>>
>> -Magnus
>
> If you touch your UI, gloda indexing instantly backs off. Even when
> fully in the background, it should still behave reasonably even if other
> applications needs cpu - particularly since it is not going to use more
> than one core.
>
> Try something that requires high CPU (like watching an online Netflix
> movie on a slow, single CPU computer, which is my test case) and see if
> gloda performs reasonably. In my case, it does.

The other CPU intensive think i tried to do was programming. Though i had to
shut down tb to actually get things done.

Possible cause: I later found out that computer had only around 1G of disk space
on that partition, and since gloda created an 700M index, the disk was filling
up very fast.

  -Magnus

On 9/25/2009 12:26 PM, Magnus Melin wrote:

> The other CPU intensive think i tried to do was programming. Though i
> had to shut down tb to actually get things done.
>
> Possible cause: I later found out that computer had only around 1G of
> disk space on that partition, and since gloda created an 700M index, the
> disk was filling up very fast.
>
> -Magnus

The gloda performance management is focused completely on CPU usage. If
you are disk bound, there could be issues.

rkent

Re: Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 released

Charly Leetham
I am running Thunder 3b4 Portable version on my Vista PC.  The
indexing runs ALL the time and my computer slowly grinds to a halt.  I
have a large email archive and a large number email accounts.  I'm
running portable Thunderbird on a 16G usb key that has 4G free, so I
don't suspect disk space is an issue.

I would prefer to turn indexing off, for me it's not a major
requirement.  I changed to Thunderbird because it was light and quick
to use.

I'm not running any resource hungry applications.  Firefox 3 (for web
browser), Skype and PC Tools ISS and that's about it.

I will report a bug on it too.

Charly.

On 9/27/2009 4:32 PM, Charly Leetham wrote:
>  I'm
> running portable Thunderbird on a 16G usb key that has 4G free, so I
> don't suspect disk space is an issue.

I vaguely recall other reports that running TB on usb memory was much
slower than "normal" disk usage. The issues would be slow disk access,
which would not get picked up by the cpu-focused gloda throttling algorithm.

It is entirely possible that basic operations are slow enough in your
environment that background indexing in not feasible, and turning off
gloda may be the only answer for you. That is easily done. I'm not sure
how we could program around that either.

rkent

On 28/09/2009 06:13, Kent James wrote:

> On 9/27/2009 4:32 PM, Charly Leetham wrote:
>> I'm
>> running portable Thunderbird on a 16G usb key that has 4G free, so I
>> don't suspect disk space is an issue.
>
> I vaguely recall other reports that running TB on usb memory was much
> slower than "normal" disk usage. The issues would be slow disk access,
> which would not get picked up by the cpu-focused gloda throttling
> algorithm.
>
> It is entirely possible that basic operations are slow enough in your
> environment that background indexing in not feasible, and turning off
> gloda may be the only answer for you. That is easily done. I'm not sure
> how we could program around that either.

Normally the portable apps are optimised to reduce effective "disk"
usage to help them against situations like this. It is quite possible
that they haven't picked up on the indexer performance yet - and hence
havne't turned it off by default.

Standard8

On 9/28/2009 1:13 AM, Kent James wrote:
> On 9/27/2009 4:32 PM, Charly Leetham wrote:
>> I'm
>> running portable Thunderbird on a 16G usb key that has 4G free, so I
>> don't suspect disk space is an issue.
>
> I vaguely recall other reports that running TB on usb memory was much
> slower than "normal" disk usage.

USB is indeed slower, and some mozilla bugs have been reported. However,
in "normal" usage, the worst of these cases has sometimes been due to
poor, badly performing versions USB devices. Full list of bugs [1]
surprisingly isn't big.

Entirely possible that autosync + gloda indexing might tear the head off
of a portable Thunderbird on USB. It bears testing. If it's a problem,
it might be performant with some tweaking.

[1] USB perf bugs:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&product=Core&product=Firefox&product=MailNews+Core&product=SeaMonkey&product=Thunderbird&product=Toolkit&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&bug_severity=normal&bug_severity=minor&chfieldto=Now&field0-0-0=short_desc&type0-0-0=anywords&value0-0-0=usb+portable+&field0-0-1=short_desc&type0-0-1=allwordssubstr&value0-0-1=memory+stick&field0-0-2=short_desc&type0-0-2=anywordssubstr&value0-0-2=pendrive&field1-1-0=short_desc&type1-1-0=nowordssubstr&value1-1-0=mouse+crash+cast+PRTime+speaker&field1-2-0=resolution&type1-2-0=notequals&value1-2-0=expired&field2-0-0=short_desc&type2-0-0=anywordssubstr&value2-0-0=slow&field2-0-1=keywords&type2-0-1=anywordssubstr&value2-0-1=perf+hang&field2-0-2=short_desc&type2-0-2=anywords&value2-0-2=hang+hangs+hanging