Thunder screen reader

Chrissa
Is there any way to have Thunder read more than one line or one
paragraph at a time?  Yes, I know NVDA is better for me but I am not
particularly accessibility minded. I'd like to read whole books using
Thunder as I'm recovering from cataract surgery at the moment.  (And a
second op to come).

Sincerely Chris

Re: Thunder screen reader

Steve Lee-3
On 27 February 2010 21:20, Chrissa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any way to have Thunder read more than one line or one
> paragraph at a time?  Yes, I know NVDA is better for me but I am not
> particularly accessibility minded. I'd like to read whole books using
> Thunder as I'm recovering from cataract surgery at the moment.  (And a
> second op to come).

Chris,

Can I suggest you ask the NVDA community if there is a way to do what you want?
http://www.nvda-project.org/wiki/Community

Also the CLiCk, speak Firefox addon does reading support.
http://clickspeak.clcworld.net/

What format books are you trying to read?

P.S. Good luck with the 2nd op.

Steve Lee

Re: Thunder screen reader

Steve Lee-3
On 28 February 2010 19:30, Chris McMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure NVDA will do everything I want and a lot more or most of the
> VIPs I communicate with on mail lists would not be advocating it. My husband
> is a VIP but he doesn't need to use any accessibility and any trouble I fall
> into its he who has to get me out again.

Why do you think he/you will find NVDA difficult compared to Thunder.
I very much doubt that is true, but I'm not a user. Others here might
help explain. The NVDA guys are VIPs, very friendly and use it
themselves.

> Another deep breath moment.  I do have FF as one of my browsers as I had a
> problem with IE in a previous version to what I now use but I haven't
> attempted any 'add ons'.  My husband doesn't use it and if I get into
> trouble I won't be able to get myself out of it.

It really is easy to install and un-install addons. Firefox + NVDA is
a fantastic combination and you will have the best possible access to
web sites, even newer complicated ones (assuming they are well
designed as always).

>> What format books are you trying to read?
>>
> Book Depository and Project Gutenberg are what I've downloaded.

This is the list to discuss Firefox accessibility issue so we are
getting a little off topic, but have you also seen BookShare which has
free DAISY books.
http://www.bookshare.org/

They also a have info on tools
http://www.bookshare.org/readingTools

Steve

Re: Thunder screen reader

Gregory J. Rosmaita
aloha!

i agree with steve, in that if you are going to use a screen
reader, you might as well use the best, most up-to-date and
technologically advanced screen reader, NVDA

as to your particular question concerning Thunder keystrokes:

Document Read = Left CTRL + ALT + Down Arrow Key
Document Read Pause = Up or Down Arrow key

i am blind and have used thunder and NVDA extensively -- NVDA
gets the thumbs up, by a factor of several hundred, gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, [hidden email]

> Is there any way to have Thunder read more than one line or one
> paragraph at a time?  Yes, I know NVDA is better for me but I am
> not particularly accessibility minded. I'd like to read whole
> books using Thunder as I'm recovering from cataract surgery at
> the moment.  (And a second op to come).
>
> Sincerely Chris

Re: Thunder screen reader

Chris McMillan-4
In message <[hidden email]>, Gregory J. Rosmaita
<[hidden email]> writes
>aloha!
>
>i agree with steve, in that if you are going to use a screen
>reader, you might as well use the best, most up-to-date and
>technologically advanced screen reader, NVDA

I remember now what my first problem/question is about NVDA.  I am
fairly high partially sighted and use a mouse at all times. I wouldn't
need to use the audible tracking sounds.  Can they be turned off in
NVDA?

I did download the program again yesterday and read the documentation
but the audible sound I found rather distracting as I tried to find my
way about the screen using my limited vision following an operation. Its
awfully powerful isn't it! AS it should be of course.

>as to your particular question concerning Thunder keystrokes:
>
>Document Read = Left CTRL + ALT + Down Arrow Key
>Document Read Pause = Up or Down Arrow key
>
>i am blind and have used thunder and NVDA extensively -- NVDA
>gets the thumbs up, by a factor of several hundred,

I also found the Thunder manual buried on my computer from I can't
remember when and read that so I now know how to read a whole document -
and I now know why you wouldn't want to use it to read a document of
hundreds of pages.  (Hundreds of words is what I have been using it
for).  What a *boring* voice!

I will persevere with NVDA and hopefully crack it before my second
operation in 11 weeks time (or so).

Sincerely Chris
--
Chris McMillan
http://www.chinavisionuk.org/

Re: Thunder screen reader

James Teh-2
On 2/03/2010 3:45 AM, Chris McMillan wrote:
> I remember now what my first problem/question is about NVDA. I am fairly
> high partially sighted and use a mouse at all times. I wouldn't need to
> use the audible tracking sounds. Can they be turned off in NVDA?
This is getting off-topic; you might want to consider subscribing to the
nvda-support email list. See the Community page on the NVDA web site for
details.

To answer your question, yes, you can disable them; see Mouse settings
in the NVDA preferences menu. In fact, they're disabled by default in
recent releases, although if you installed it previously, your old
configuration will be preserved.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: [hidden email]

Re: Thunder screen reader

Gregory J. Rosmaita
aloha, again!

to turn off the mouse noises in NVDA, you need to open the NVDA context
menu (if you are on the desktop, NVDA will either be in your system
tray or where the application tabs are listed -- right click on either,
and:

1. from the NVDA main context menu, choose "preferences"

2. from the resultant sub-menu, choose "mouse settings"

3. when the "mouse settings" property sheet (the thingy with the
checkboxes and other form controls) is generated, press TAB 5 times to
get to the checked checkbox labelled: "play audio coordinates when mouse
moves" -- press SpaceBar to uncheck the checkbox, then TAB to the the
"ok" button

4. return focus to the NVDA icon in the System Tray or application
TabBar, and press "s" to select "Save Configuration"

remember, whenever you change an NVDA setting which you wish to
persist every time you use NVDA, you need to "Save Configuration"
using the main NVDA context menu, and the 4 steps listed above
will disable mouse audio coordinates...

jamie and mick -- i have had more people (blind, low vision & sighted)
comment on how strange and off-putting it is to have mouse audio
coordinates on by default -- for some reason, it presents a barrier too
far and subliminally signals that this isn't a screen reader for the
average user, when -- to the contrary -- NVDA is easy to learn and
master, AND because if you use eSpeak, there is a rich pallette of
voices to choose from (one box on which i use NVDA exclusively is set
to en-wi -- west indian english pronounciation, for user interface
info and en-gb -- "standard" british pronunciation for content)

and, let me add, best wishes with the second operation,
gregory
Trouble sharpens the vision. In our moments of distress we can see
clearly that what is wrong with this world of ours is the fact that
Misery loves company and seldom gets it.
Gregory J. Rosmaita, [hidden email]
        Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
              Oedipus' Online Complex: http://my.opera.com/oedipus/