This list and the Google group ... are they the same ?

This list and the Google group ... are they the same ?

moz.20.victim123
Hi

I'm subscribed to this list.

I also see a google group at
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.general/topics

are these the same ?

or are they two independent help mailing lists ?

regards
Vinayak

Re: This list and the Google group ... are they the same ?

JM-43
"»Q«" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I'm subscribed to this list.
>>
>>I also see a google group at
>>http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.general/topics
>>
>>are these the same ?
>>
>>or are they two independent help mailing lists ?
>
> They're the same.  There's a gateway between the mozilla mailing lists
> and the newsgroups on the news.mozilla.org server, and Google also
> carries the groups.
>
> [hidden email] isn't really a help list, though, just a catch-all for
> stuff that doesn't fit in the other mozilla lists/groups.  You probably
> want one of the support lists/groups in the "End-User Support" section
> of <http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html>.  (Also, the
> "General Information" section at the top of that page has a better
> answer to your question than the one I just typed, but I didn't
> notice it until now.)
>
> --
> »Q«

Hi moz.20...,
at about 35 per day now, or  like a hundred plus per day when a new version
of Firefox
comes out, so it is easier to work with if you use a newsgroup.

Might add that by subscribing directly through  mozilla.org  there is no
charge for access
to their newsgroups.   There is also no charge accessing indirectly through
Google Groups
which you asked about, but it would be better to subscribe directly through
mozilla.org

   Chris Ilias' Blog » Instructions for new newsgroup server
   http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/01/instructions-for-new-newsgroup-server/

Re: This list and the Google group ... are they the same ?

moz.20.victim123
thanks for the quick reply

regards

>or are they two independent help mailing lists ?

They're the same.  There's a gateway between the mozilla mailing lists
and the newsgroups on the news.mozilla.org server, and Google also
carries the groups.

[hidden email] isn't really a help list, though, just a catch-all for
stuff that doesn't fit in the other mozilla lists/groups.  You probably
want one of the support lists/groups in the "End-User Support" section
of <http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html>.  (Also, the
"General Information" section at the top of that page has a better
answer to your question than the one I just typed, but I didn't
notice it until now.)

--
»Q«

Re: This list and the Google group ... are they the same ?

moz.20.victim123
Thanks for warning me on the large mail volume

Is there a daily digest mode on these mailing lists ?

I've had problems with newsgroups and so would like to stick to mailing
lists

thanks in advance
regards
Vinayak

[.........]

Hi moz.20...,

Newsgroups work a lot better than mailing lists, your inbox may not be
overwhelmed with postings to
mozilla.general at the moment,  but you will not want
to subscribe to mozilla.support.firefox  and have  them come into your inbox
at about 35 per day now, or  like a hundred plus per day when a new version
of Firefox comes out, so it is easier to work with if you use a newsgroup.

[.........]

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: This list and the Google group ... are they the same ?

JM-43
<moz.20...(Vinayak) wrote ...
> Thanks for warning me on the large mail volume
> Is there a daily digest mode on these mailing lists ?
>
> I've had problems with newsgroups and so would like to stick to mailing
> lists     //  Vinayak

There is no manually composed digest, and there are no sys-ops
answering directly or approving each message before it can get posted.
I think such things are basically in the past.

I'm guessing if you had a problem with newsgroups, you are talking about
ten years in the past and using proprietary interfaces such as AOL.

Basically you want to use a threaded view of messages,  marking
conversations
that you are involved in so that you see the replies to your own posts
marked accordingly (probably with font in RED), and that you can at least
switch between   "Show all Messages" and  "Hide Read Messages".

You may also want to eliminate posts with an excessive number of lines
or that have attachments with a message rule depending on your own
your experience in a newsgroup, your bandwidth.  Plain text newsgroups
postings do not take up much space on your computer.

I have some notes on Outlook Express,  I think almost all of it still
applies
to Windows Mail (on Vista),  off-site links may be stale, but it is at
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ie/oe6.htm

What operating systems are you using, and are you using your own computer.
--
HTH,
David McRitchie,

Re: This list and the Google group ... are they the same ?

Chris Ilias-2
On 8/26/07 8:54 AM, _moz.20.victim123@dfgh.net_ spoke thusly:
> Thanks for warning me on the large mail volume
>
> Is there a daily digest mode on these mailing lists ?
>
> I've had problems with newsgroups and so would like to stick to mailing
> lists

Yes. It's an option in the mailing subscriber panel:
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: This list and the Google group ... are they the same ?

moz.20.victim123
Hi David

Thanks for the detailed response. I have connectivity problems with Sec news

For some reason, when I use Mozilla (and now seamonkey), I am unable to
connect to both "secnews" and "news" servers in the same session . The
problem was mainly with "news" (probably a port issue) than sec news and so
I stuck to either google carrying some "news" groups or mailing lists

>I have some notes on Outlook Express,  I think
>almost all of it still applies to Windows Mail
>(on Vista),  off-site links may be stale, but it
>is at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ie/oe6.htm

Thanks for the help again

I do NOT use OE

regards

Windows XP Service pack 2

I use my own computer, but connected to net thru a proxy - local ISP's proxy
with a VERY erratic news server

regards