This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

A Williams-2
RIP news:mozilla.wishlist - spammed to death.

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

Rich Gray-3
A Williams wrote:
> RIP news:mozilla.wishlist - spammed to death.

Time to block Google Groups!

--
Rich        (Pull thorn from address to e-mail me.)
SeaMonkey - Surfing the net has never been so suite!

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

Miles-4
* Rich Gray wrote, On 01-Nov-10 17:42:
> A Williams wrote:
>> RIP news:mozilla.wishlist - spammed to death.
>
> Time to block Google Groups!

  So how does one go about filtering out Google Groups?
Miles

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

J. Weaver Jr.
Miles wrote:
> * Rich Gray wrote, On 01-Nov-10 17:42:
>>  A Williams wrote:
>>>  RIP news:mozilla.wishlist - spammed to death.
>>
>>  Time to block Google Groups!
>>
>    So how does one go about filtering out Google Groups?
> Miles

I've added the following message filter to "news.mozilla.org":

   If "X-Complaints-To" contains "[hidden email]"
     Tag Message "Work"

This changes all messages posted from Google Groups to a lovely shade of
orange, making them easier to spot (and ignore).  -JW

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

The Real Bev
On 11/04/10 06:14, J. Weaver Jr. wrote:

> Miles wrote:
>>  * Rich Gray wrote, On 01-Nov-10 17:42:
>>>
>>>   Time to block Google Groups!
>>>
>>     So how does one go about filtering out Google Groups?
>>  Miles
>
> I've added the following message filter to "news.mozilla.org":
>
>     If "X-Complaints-To" contains "[hidden email]"
>       Tag Message "Work"
>
> This changes all messages posted from Google Groups to a lovely shade of
> orange, making them easier to spot (and ignore).  -JW

I like that.  Killing all GG posters ("mark read") resulted in
eliminating posts from several people who were NOT loons or spammers,
but your way is much nicer.  Thanks.

--
Cheers, Bev
   While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

Reverend Ozone
On 11/4/2010 22:23, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 11/04/10 06:14, J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
>
>> Miles wrote:

>>> So how does one go about filtering out Google Groups?
>>> Miles
>>
>> I've added the following message filter to "news.mozilla.org":
>>
>> If "X-Complaints-To" contains "[hidden email]"
>> Tag Message "Work"
>>
>> This changes all messages posted from Google Groups to a lovely shade of
>> orange, making them easier to spot (and ignore). -JW
>
> I like that. Killing all GG posters ("mark read") resulted in
> eliminating posts from several people who were NOT loons or spammers,
> but your way is much nicer. Thanks.

A hearty "ditto" for this solution.

I, too, have had deleted too many "good" posts from the previous (now
amended to this) solution.

--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

On 11/06/10 22:16, Reverend Ozone wrote:

> On 11/4/2010 22:23, The Real Bev wrote:

>>>  I've added the following message filter to "news.mozilla.org":
>>>
>>>  If "X-Complaints-To" contains "[hidden email]"
>>>  Tag Message "Work"
>>>
>>>  This changes all messages posted from Google Groups to a lovely shade of
>>>  orange, making them easier to spot (and ignore). -JW

Unfortunately they don't show up as orange until they're marked 'read.'
  I'm pretty sure because I've put something in one of my chrome files
that makes unread messages bold and blue, which must supersede the
'work' color.  Nothing is ever easy :-(

>>  I like that. Killing all GG posters ("mark read") resulted in
>>  eliminating posts from several people who were NOT loons or spammers,
>>  but your way is much nicer. Thanks.
>
> A hearty "ditto" for this solution.
>
> I, too, have had deleted too many "good" posts from the previous (now
> amended to this) solution.

I haven't bothered in the mozilla groups.  Not enough loons to make it
worth the bother.  In fact, I just removed the googlegroups entry.
We'll see...

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

Terry R.-3
On 10/18/2010 8:34 AM On a whim, A Williams pounded out on the keyboard

> RIP news:mozilla.wishlist - spammed to death.

And here I thought these were user "wishlists"!  ;-)

Terry R.

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

Andy-66
there is just no one seems to have any  any more sad isn't it.
:)

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
news:[hidden email]...

On 12/21/10 23:24, Andy wrote:

> there is just no one seems to have any  any more sad isn't it.

Not much point posting to a wishlist when your wishes will probably be
ignored and unacknowledged.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

David E. Ross-3
On 12/22/10 6:51 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/21/10 23:24, Andy wrote:
>
>> there is just no one seems to have any  any more sad isn't it.
>
> Not much point posting to a wishlist when your wishes will probably be
> ignored and unacknowledged.

There is an individual who asserts that he has the right to moderate
mozilla.support.thunderbird despite the fact that bug #598060 says that
the various mozilla.support.* newsgroups are not moderated.  That
individual claims that any message in mozilla.support.thunderbird
requesting a new feature is off-topic and belongs instead here in
mozilla.wishlist.

To enforce his position, that individual posts replies with the
Followup-to field pointing to his E-mail address -- not to another
newsgroup -- thus blocking further replies in the affected thread (or at
least in the affected sub-thread).  Contrary to RFC 1855, such followups
are not noted in the body of his reply messages.

I understand that, on occasion, he even deletes messages from the
newsgroup or blacklists certain participants.  I have not yet personally
experienced these latter forms of moderation.

In the end, that moderator's actions might serve to revive
mozilla.wishlist for users, even if it remains ignored by developers and
thus a black hole for suggestions.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I might filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam from that source.

On 12/22/10 19:41, David E. Ross wrote:

> In the end, that moderator's actions might serve to revive
> mozilla.wishlist for users, even if it remains ignored by developers and
> thus a black hole for suggestions.

So you're saying that it's just a wastebasket for the discards from the
other groups by the moderator and that it serves no other purpose.  Not
that bad a definition of 'dead', is it?

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: This group is dead. Time to put it out of its misery?

Andy-66
if we keep posting maby some one will finaly listen:)

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
news:[hidden email]...

On 12/22/10 23:42, Andy wrote:

> if we keep posting maby some one will finaly listen:)

Have they ever?

Perhaps it would be a nice place for unmoderated discussions
of...whatever anybody wants to discuss.

When I first went on the internet I had a free account from some subset
of CalState.  The sysadmin was paying actual money (presumably our tax
money) for somebody to develop a kid-safe browser, although Netscape was
perfectly usable and extremely popular at the time, although young.
People made fun of him in the <whatever>.support newsgroup, and he
ultimately banned just about everybody -- who moved over to one of the
unoccupied newsgroups and continued the revelry.

The guy was a real loon, and ultimately moved over to and destroyed the
Los Angeles Freenet through incompetence -- I have no real idea who was
to blame for it being down for days at a time, but I'm willing to bet it
was his fault.

I wish I had an In'N'Out cheeseburger right now...

--
Cheers, Bev