The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
11/30/2012 12:50 PM:

> On 11/30/2012 1:03 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 11/30/2012 8:03 AM:
>>> On 11/29/2012 7:09 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

>>> I tried explaining this to Ron ages ago.  When I created my Gmail
>>> account, it was to specifically have every email addy forward to
>>> Gmail, so I didn't have to use TB locally and/or login using webmail
>>> to every account.  And I knew I was going to get a Palm Pre, so then I
>>> could handle all email accounts from Gmail.  And I have multiple
>>> sender addresses also.
>>>
>> Yeah, I'm just anal about having unmoderated personal data on the cloud
>> at all. My lifestyle is tame by any standards but, still, I don't wish
>> any data I haven't personally reviewed to be spread to too many portals.
>> My ISP has access but that's a necessity and the only one.
>>
> I also prefer, on principle, to keep my data on my devices, and under my
> control.  It just seem prudent.  There are enough government, and
> commercial entities have have all too much data on me over which I have
> little, or no, control  It's rather like pissing in the ocean, I guess,
> but it makes me feel like I have some control.

Yeah, at times I've come to accept that my efforts are little more than
a false sense of security but then I think, why should I assist them on
keeping current? :_)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/30/2012 1:52 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 11/30/2012 12:50 PM:
>> On 11/30/2012 1:03 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>>> with on 11/30/2012 8:03 AM:
>>>>
>>> Yeah, I'm just anal about having unmoderated personal data on the cloud
>>> at all. My lifestyle is tame by any standards but, still, I don't wish
>>> any data I haven't personally reviewed to be spread to too many portals.
>>> My ISP has access but that's a necessity and the only one.
>>>
>> I also prefer, on principle, to keep my data on my devices, and under my
>> control.  It just seem prudent.  There are enough government, and
>> commercial entities have have all too much data on me over which I have
>> little, or no, control  It's rather like pissing in the ocean, I guess,
>> but it makes me feel like I have some control.
>>
> Yeah, at times I've come to accept that my efforts are little more than
> a false sense of security but then I think, why should I assist them on
> keeping current? :_)

My email is pretty much an open book.  I don't enter things in email
that is confidential.  I do transmit PDF's and such with confidential
data, so it could just as well be accessed.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/30/2012 3:15 PM:

> On 11/30/2012 1:52 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> I also prefer, on principle, to keep my data on my devices, and under my
>>> control.  It just seem prudent.  There are enough government, and
>>> commercial entities have have all too much data on me over which I have
>>> little, or no, control  It's rather like pissing in the ocean, I guess,
>>> but it makes me feel like I have some control.
>>>
>> Yeah, at times I've come to accept that my efforts are little more than
>> a false sense of security but then I think, why should I assist them on
>> keeping current? :_)
>
> My email is pretty much an open book.  I don't enter things in email
> that is confidential.  I do transmit PDF's and such with confidential
> data, so it could just as well be accessed.

It's not my email correspondence that so much concerns me, it's the
email I receive. My family have some fairly embarrassing baby pix of me,
for example!

Kidding aside, while most personal email is banal in nature, things like
medical appointments, ecommerce purchase confirmations, &c are not
things I want sitting on the net somewhere.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Ron Hunter
On 11/30/2012 5:15 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 11/30/2012 1:52 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> I also prefer, on principle, to keep my data on my devices, and under my
>>> control.  It just seem prudent.  There are enough government, and
>>> commercial entities have have all too much data on me over which I have
>>> little, or no, control  It's rather like pissing in the ocean, I guess,
>>> but it makes me feel like I have some control.
>>>
>> Yeah, at times I've come to accept that my efforts are little more than
>> a false sense of security but then I think, why should I assist them on
>> keeping current? :_)
>>

> My email is pretty much an open book.  I don't enter things in email
> that is confidential.  I do transmit PDF's and such with confidential
> data, so it could just as well be accessed.

I send, and receive, very little email these days.  Seems most of my
'correspondents' prefer either text messages (had to bite the bullet and
get unlimited text as the under 30 family members refuse to use anything
else), or Facebook posts.  Times change.

On 11/30/2012 5:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 11/30/2012 3:15 PM:
>> On 11/30/2012 1:52 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 11/30/2012 12:50 PM:

>>> Yeah, at times I've come to accept that my efforts are little more than
>>> a false sense of security but then I think, why should I assist them on
>>> keeping current? :_)
>>
>> My email is pretty much an open book.  I don't enter things in email
>> that is confidential.  I do transmit PDF's and such with confidential
>> data, so it could just as well be accessed.
>>
> It's not my email correspondence that so much concerns me, it's the
> email I receive. My family have some fairly embarrassing baby pix of me,
> for example!
>
> Kidding aside, while most personal email is banal in nature, things like
> medical appointments, ecommerce purchase confirmations, &c are not
> things I want sitting on the net somewhere.

If you use IMAP (or Gmail), they are archived there anyway.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
12/1/2012 12:44 AM:

> On 11/30/2012 5:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 11/30/2012 3:15 PM:
>>> On 11/30/2012 1:52 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

>>> My email is pretty much an open book.  I don't enter things in email
>>> that is confidential.  I do transmit PDF's and such with confidential
>>> data, so it could just as well be accessed.
>>>
>> It's not my email correspondence that so much concerns me, it's the
>> email I receive. My family have some fairly embarrassing baby pix of me,
>> for example!
>>
>> Kidding aside, while most personal email is banal in nature, things like
>> medical appointments, ecommerce purchase confirmations, &c are not
>> things I want sitting on the net somewhere.
>>
> If you use IMAP (or Gmail), they are archived there anyway.

POP3, mostly. Gmail forwarding has an option to delete from server after
forwarded.

On 12/1/2012 10:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 12/1/2012 12:44 AM:
>> On 11/30/2012 5:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>>> with on 11/30/2012 3:15 PM:

>>> It's not my email correspondence that so much concerns me, it's the
>>> email I receive. My family have some fairly embarrassing baby pix of me,
>>> for example!
>>>
>>> Kidding aside, while most personal email is banal in nature, things like
>>> medical appointments, ecommerce purchase confirmations, &c are not
>>> things I want sitting on the net somewhere.
>>>
>> If you use IMAP (or Gmail), they are archived there anyway.
>>
> POP3, mostly. Gmail forwarding has an option to delete from server after
> forwarded.

But it doesn't.  It just goes into an archive, else you wouldn't be able
to 'undelete' it....

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
12/1/2012 5:56 PM:

> On 12/1/2012 10:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> If you use IMAP (or Gmail), they are archived there anyway.
>>>
>> POP3, mostly. Gmail forwarding has an option to delete from server after
>> forwarded.
>>
> But it doesn't.  It just goes into an archive, else you wouldn't be able
> to 'undelete' it....

A couple of things. Mine is setup to go directly to Trash which is
permanently deleted after 30 days. Second, and most important, I don't
use my Gmail addy for personal correspondence, so even that is no big deal.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

The Real Bev
On 12/01/2012 12:44 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/30/2012 5:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced
>> us with on 11/30/2012 3:15 PM:
>>> On 11/30/2012 1:52 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the
>>> keyboard

>>> My email is pretty much an open book.  I don't enter things in
>>> email that is confidential.  I do transmit PDF's and such with
>>> confidential data, so it could just as well be accessed.
>>>
>> It's not my email correspondence that so much concerns me, it's
>> the email I receive. My family have some fairly embarrassing baby
>> pix of me, for example!
>>
>> Kidding aside, while most personal email is banal in nature, things
>> like medical appointments, ecommerce purchase confirmations, &c are
>> not things I want sitting on the net somewhere.
>>
> If you use IMAP (or Gmail), they are archived there anyway.

I use POP accounts and periodically clear out everything I can delete.
If they're saving stuff unbeknownst to me there's not much I can do
about it.

--
Cheers, Bev

On 12/01/2012 08:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 12/1/2012 12:44 AM:
>> On 11/30/2012 5:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> It's not my email correspondence that so much concerns me, it's
>>> the email I receive. My family have some fairly embarrassing baby
>>> pix of me, for example!

Can they actually prove the pix are of you?

>>> Kidding aside, while most personal email is banal in nature,
>>> things like medical appointments, ecommerce purchase
>>> confirmations, &c are not things I want sitting on the net
>>> somewhere.
>>>
>> If you use IMAP (or Gmail), they are archived there anyway.
>>
> POP3, mostly. Gmail forwarding has an option to delete from server
> after forwarded.

I told TB to delete the stuff on the gmail server after I download it,
but it didn't happen ever.  I have to go in and do it by hand.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
12/1/2012 10:53 PM:

> On 12/01/2012 08:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

> Can they actually prove the pix are of you?

It wouldn't matter, they'd still snicker :(

>>> If you use IMAP (or Gmail), they are archived there anyway.
>>>
>> POP3, mostly. Gmail forwarding has an option to delete from server
>> after forwarded.
>
> I told TB to delete the stuff on the gmail server after I download it,
> but it didn't happen ever.  I have to go in and do it by hand.

I only use Gmail to forward my email to my sailfish addy and then dump
it to the Trash folder which gets "forever-deleted" after 30 days.

On 12/2/2012 12:51 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 12/01/2012 12:44 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2012 5:29 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced
>>> us with on 11/30/2012 3:15 PM:
>  >>>>>>

>>> It's not my email correspondence that so much concerns me, it's
>>> the email I receive. My family have some fairly embarrassing baby
>>> pix of me, for example!
>>>
>>> Kidding aside, while most personal email is banal in nature, things
>>> like medical appointments, ecommerce purchase confirmations, &c are
>>> not things I want sitting on the net somewhere.
>>>
>> If you use IMAP (or Gmail), they are archived there anyway.
>
> I use POP accounts and periodically clear out everything I can delete.
> If they're saving stuff unbeknownst to me there's not much I can do
> about it.

The question is: What are they doing with that saved data?
Knowing Google, they are using it for some purpose.

On 12/1/2012 9:18 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 12/1/2012 5:56 PM:
>> On 12/1/2012 10:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 12/1/2012 12:44 AM:

>>> POP3, mostly. Gmail forwarding has an option to delete from server after
>>> forwarded.
>>>
>> But it doesn't.  It just goes into an archive, else you wouldn't be
>> able to 'undelete' it....
>>
> A couple of things. Mine is setup to go directly to Trash which is
> permanently deleted after 30 days. Second, and most important, I don't
> use my Gmail addy for personal correspondence, so even that is no big deal.

After 30 days?  Who says, and do you believe them?  I am pretty sure
Charter doesn't keep stuff I delete for any time at all as they are too
cheap to pay for the storage it would require.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
12/2/2012 12:19 AM:

> On 12/1/2012 9:18 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> But it doesn't.  It just goes into an archive, else you wouldn't be
>>> able to 'undelete' it....
>>>
>> A couple of things. Mine is setup to go directly to Trash which is
>> permanently deleted after 30 days. Second, and most important, I don't
>> use my Gmail addy for personal correspondence, so even that is no big
>> deal.
>>
> After 30 days?  Who says, and do you believe them?  I am pretty sure
> Charter doesn't keep stuff I delete for any time at all as they are too
> cheap to pay for the storage it would require.

Well, they say, for one and, for two, even if they didn't it wouldn't be
an issue sine I don't use that addy for personal or business correspondence.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

»Q«
On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 02:19:38 -0600
Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/1/2012 9:18 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> > My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

> >> But it doesn't.  It just goes into an archive, else you wouldn't be
> >> able to 'undelete' it....
> >>
> > A couple of things. Mine is setup to go directly to Trash which is
> > permanently deleted after 30 days. Second, and most important, I
> > don't use my Gmail addy for personal correspondence, so even that
> > is no big deal.
>
> After 30 days?  Who says, and do you believe them?  I am pretty sure
> Charter doesn't keep stuff I delete for any time at all as they are
> too cheap to pay for the storage it would require.

Charter's ToS is hilarious.

  If Customer elects to store electronic mail on Charter’s server(s),
  such electronic mail is subject to deletion three days after Customer
  first retrieves such electronic mail.

I couldn't find any promises from them about a timeframe for purging
deleted e-mail from their servers.  Google claims that the e-mails are
truly gone within sixty days of them being deleted from trash.

On 12/2/2012 6:01 PM, »Q« wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 02:19:38 -0600
> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/2012 9:18 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 12/1/2012 5:56 PM:

>>> A couple of things. Mine is setup to go directly to Trash which is
>>> permanently deleted after 30 days. Second, and most important, I
>>> don't use my Gmail addy for personal correspondence, so even that
>>> is no big deal.
>>
>> After 30 days?  Who says, and do you believe them?  I am pretty sure
>> Charter doesn't keep stuff I delete for any time at all as they are
>> too cheap to pay for the storage it would require.
>
> Charter's ToS is hilarious.
>
>    If Customer elects to store electronic mail on Charter’s server(s),
>    such electronic mail is subject to deletion three days after Customer
>    first retrieves such electronic mail.
>
> I couldn't find any promises from them about a timeframe for purging
> deleted e-mail from their servers.  Google claims that the e-mails are
> truly gone within sixty days of them being deleted from trash.

And we believe them, right?  I believe Charter, because it is consistent
with their 'cheap' approach.