The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
11/29/2012 2:38 PM:

> On 11/29/2012 12:17 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> It works fine for me with just the basic extensions I use, which are:
>>> Testpilot
>>> Compact headers
>>> Extra Folder columns
>>> Select Inbox
>>> Mark All Read button.
>>>
>> And, as Charlotte noted, it works fine for her with Thunderbird
>> Conversations disabled. It's unclear what your post adds to the problem
>> determination efforts here?
>>
>> just sayin'
>> Because the original message said it worked ONLY if that extension was
>> in use.
> It works here, and I don't have that extension.  Now she is
> saying it works without that extension, but not with it, so this is NOT
> a TB problem.  The feature is there (except for users of antique
> software), and it works just fine, unless something prevents it from
> working.

I don't believe she ever suggested it was a TB bug. So, my point is that
your response hadn't moved the issue forward any, just stalled it, if
anything.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:27:49 PM, and on a
whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 12:00 PM:
>> The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:54:52 AM, and on a
>> whim, Terry R. pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 11:15:32 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>>> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Like I said, it was working in a pre-release of 3.  And it works for
>>> me here in 2.0.0.24, but likely the addon I stated earlier.
>> Yep, definitely Quick Quote.
>
> The only place I found it was,
> http://quickquote.mozdev.org/installation.html, and none of those
> versions installed. Do you have a better site?

I'm using 0.8.1  That should work.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:20:37 PM, and on a
whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 11/29/2012 1:37 PM:
>> On 11/29/2012 12:54 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
>>> 11/29/2012 11:53 AM:

>>> Gmail is not, technically, a client, as in client-server relationship.
>>> More like SaaS app, no?
>> Well Gmail has its web based email client, which is client/server.  And
>> that is where the feature you refer to works in, correct?  It surely
>> wouldn't work on Gmail in my phone app.
>>
> I see Gmail being a browser-based client so, really, the browser would
> be the client, not Gmail, at least from a desktop app POV.

I call that web based since it requires a browser to access it.  Some
call it webmail.  All the same I guess.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/29/2012 2:43 PM:

> On 11/29/2012 1:43 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 11/29/2012 1:27 PM:
>>> On 11/29/2012 12:51 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Since I am the only one I know of that discussed pasting images into
>>> Gmail, I thought you were referring to me.  But still didn't see what it
>>> had to do with pasting images.
>>>
>> It was! It was! And, it had nothing to do with pasting images and
>> everything to do with adding a bit of levity to the thread.

>>> Do others use web based Gmail here?  Other than me, Tarkus I believe is
>>> the only one who said they do.
>>>
>> I have a Gmail account but only use it as a forwarding anchor to my POP3
>> primary email account. Also, I needed one in order to get a Google
>> account, which, as it turns out, I very seldom log into.
>
> So, do you use the web based Gmail client, which I was referring to, or
> use Gmail using a mail client like TB?

It's simpler than that. When I created my Gmail account, I configured it
to re-route all incoming mail to my primary email addy (sailfish @ ...).
I never have to log into Gmail at all.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

clay-14
On 11/29/2012 2:41 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 2:35 PM:
>> On 11/29/2012 12:10 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>>
>>> So, maybe, just maybe, I posted the thread for those who use Gmail
>>> (e.g., those folks who do an incessantly huge amount of image
>>> copy/pasting) who may not have been aware of the feature.
>>>
>>> just sayin' :-P
>>>
>> That's because it was added THIS century, Sailfish.  User of antiquated
>> software...
>>
> Nothing wrong with antiquated software that excels in providing features
> that are important to one and doesn't have showstopper issues with it.

As long as you don't mind using dangerous, vulnerable, space-time
continuum disrupting software... *g*

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/29/2012 3:04 PM:

> The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:20:37 PM, and on a
> whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 11/29/2012 1:37 PM:
>>> On 11/29/2012 12:54 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Well Gmail has its web based email client, which is client/server.
>>> And that is where the feature you refer to works in, correct?  It
>>> surely wouldn't work on Gmail in my phone app.
>>>
>> I see Gmail being a browser-based client so, really, the browser would
>> be the client, not Gmail, at least from a desktop app POV.
>
> I call that web based since it requires a browser to access it.  Some
> call it webmail.  All the same I guess.

Fair enough.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/29/2012 3:02 PM:

> The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:27:49 PM, and on a
> whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
>> 11/29/2012 12:00 PM:
>>> The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:54:52 AM, and on
>>> a whim, Terry R. pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Yep, definitely Quick Quote.
>>
>> The only place I found it was,
>> http://quickquote.mozdev.org/installation.html, and none of those
>> versions installed. Do you have a better site?
>
> I'm using 0.8.1  That should work.

Okay, it's good to know which one works. I don't have an overriding need
for it but I'm still curious. I'll fiddle with the install.rdf file
later. Thanks.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/29/2012 3:12 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 11/29/2012 2:43 PM:
>> On 11/29/2012 1:43 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>>> with on 11/29/2012 1:27 PM:
>>>>
>>> I have a Gmail account but only use it as a forwarding anchor to my POP3
>>> primary email account. Also, I needed one in order to get a Google
>>> account, which, as it turns out, I very seldom log into.
>> So, do you use the web based Gmail client, which I was referring to, or
>> use Gmail using a mail client like TB?
>>
> It's simpler than that. When I created my Gmail account, I configured it
> to re-route all incoming mail to my primary email addy (sailfish @ ...).
> I never have to log into Gmail at all.

Well, regardless, you still access it via a client.  So do you use
webmail to access your email account or a mail client?

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what clay graced us with on 11/29/2012
3:19 PM:

> On 11/29/2012 2:41 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> That's because it was added THIS century, Sailfish.  User of antiquated
>>> software...
>>>
>> Nothing wrong with antiquated software that excels in providing features
>> that are important to one and doesn't have showstopper issues with it.
>
> As long as you don't mind using dangerous, vulnerable, space-time
> continuum disrupting software... *g*

Agreed. That's why I use TB 2.0.0.24 for plain-text news! All the good
stuff, none of the bloat and showstopper bugs.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/29/2012 3:31 PM:

> On 11/29/2012 3:12 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 11/29/2012 2:43 PM:
>>> On 11/29/2012 1:43 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

>>> So, do you use the web based Gmail client, which I was referring to, or
>>> use Gmail using a mail client like TB?
>>>
>> It's simpler than that. When I created my Gmail account, I configured it
>> to re-route all incoming mail to my primary email addy (sailfish @ ...).
>> I never have to log into Gmail at all.
>
> Well, regardless, you still access it via a client.  So do you use
> webmail to access your email account or a mail client?

I use Windows mail for personal email (sailfish @ ...) and Outlook for
business email so, both are desktop POP3-configured email clients.

Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what clay graced us with on 11/29/2012
> 3:19 PM:
>> On 11/29/2012 2:41 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 11/29/2012 2:35 PM:

>>> Nothing wrong with antiquated software that excels in providing features
>>> that are important to one and doesn't have showstopper issues with it.
>>
>> As long as you don't mind using dangerous, vulnerable, space-time
>> continuum disrupting software... *g*
>
> Agreed. That's why I use TB 2.0.0.24 for plain-text news! All the good
> stuff, none of the bloat and showstopper bugs.

&& it just /feels/ good!

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what clay graced us with on 11/29/2012
3:51 PM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what clay graced us with on 11/29/2012
>> 3:19 PM:

>>> As long as you don't mind using dangerous, vulnerable, space-time
>>> continuum disrupting software... *g*
>>
>> Agreed. That's why I use TB 2.0.0.24 for plain-text news! All the good
>> stuff, none of the bloat and showstopper bugs.
>>
> && it just /feels/ good!

Sure, just like a right-sized glove rather than an over-sized mitten.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Ron Hunter
On 11/29/2012 5:12 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 11/29/2012 2:43 PM:
>> On 11/29/2012 1:43 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>>> with on 11/29/2012 1:27 PM:

>>> It was! It was! And, it had nothing to do with pasting images and
>>> everything to do with adding a bit of levity to the thread.

>>> I have a Gmail account but only use it as a forwarding anchor to my POP3
>>> primary email account. Also, I needed one in order to get a Google
>>> account, which, as it turns out, I very seldom log into.
>>
>> So, do you use the web based Gmail client, which I was referring to,
>> or use Gmail using a mail client like TB?
>>
> It's simpler than that. When I created my Gmail account, I configured it
> to re-route all incoming mail to my primary email addy (sailfish @ ...).
> I never have to log into Gmail at all.

I tried to get mine set up that way, but it didn't work.  Maybe I will
try again as I do get a rare email through gmail.

On 11/29/2012 5:51 PM, clay wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what clay graced us with on 11/29/2012
>> 3:19 PM:

>>> As long as you don't mind using dangerous, vulnerable, space-time
>>> continuum disrupting software... *g*
>>
>> Agreed. That's why I use TB 2.0.0.24 for plain-text news! All the good
>> stuff, none of the bloat and showstopper bugs.
>>
> && it just /feels/ good!
Like an old shoe.  What happens when you run out of duct tape to patch
the soles?  Grin.

Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/29/2012 5:51 PM, clay wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what clay graced us with on 11/29/2012
>>> 3:19 PM:

>>> Agreed. That's why I use TB 2.0.0.24 for plain-text news! All the good
>>> stuff, none of the bloat and showstopper bugs.
>>>
>> && it just /feels/ good!
> Like an old shoe.  What happens when you run out of duct tape to patch
> the soles?  Grin.

I have them re soled, and new zippers put in.
'Zippers very expensive', I was told by the cobbler, '$1.00 per inch'.
Made me chuckle.
Lets see... $12.00 for zippers or $120.00 for a new pair of boots.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
11/29/2012 6:05 PM:

> On 11/29/2012 5:12 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 11/29/2012 2:43 PM:
>>> On 11/29/2012 1:43 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

>>> So, do you use the web based Gmail client, which I was referring to,
>>> or use Gmail using a mail client like TB?
>>>
>> It's simpler than that. When I created my Gmail account, I configured it
>> to re-route all incoming mail to my primary email addy (sailfish @ ...).
>> I never have to log into Gmail at all.
>>
> I tried to get mine set up that way, but it didn't work.  Maybe I will
> try again as I do get a rare email through gmail.

It should work, I didn't do anything special. I just went to "GMail
Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP" and set it there.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Tarkus-4
On 11/29/2012 1:27 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Do others use web based Gmail here?  Other than me, Tarkus I believe is
> the only one who said they do.

Yeah, not a heavy email user these days, so the Gmail web interface
suffices for me.  Most of my email now is newsletters or forum message
notifications, both of which are better served in a browser anyway.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/29/2012 7:09 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 6:05 PM:
>> On 11/29/2012 5:12 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>>> with on 11/29/2012 2:43 PM:

>>> It's simpler than that. When I created my Gmail account, I configured it
>>> to re-route all incoming mail to my primary email addy (sailfish @ ...).
>>> I never have to log into Gmail at all.
>>>
>> I tried to get mine set up that way, but it didn't work.  Maybe I will
>> try again as I do get a rare email through gmail.
>>
> It should work, I didn't do anything special. I just went to "GMail
> Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP" and set it there.

I tried explaining this to Ron ages ago.  When I created my Gmail
account, it was to specifically have every email addy forward to Gmail,
so I didn't have to use TB locally and/or login using webmail to every
account.  And I knew I was going to get a Palm Pre, so then I could
handle all email accounts from Gmail.  And I have multiple sender
addresses also.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/30/2012 8:03 AM:

> On 11/29/2012 7:09 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> I tried to get mine set up that way, but it didn't work.  Maybe I will
>>> try again as I do get a rare email through gmail.
>>>
>> It should work, I didn't do anything special. I just went to "GMail
>> Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP" and set it there.
>
> I tried explaining this to Ron ages ago.  When I created my Gmail
> account, it was to specifically have every email addy forward to Gmail,
> so I didn't have to use TB locally and/or login using webmail to every
> account.  And I knew I was going to get a Palm Pre, so then I could
> handle all email accounts from Gmail.  And I have multiple sender
> addresses also.

Yeah, I'm just anal about having unmoderated personal data on the cloud
at all. My lifestyle is tame by any standards but, still, I don't wish
any data I haven't personally reviewed to be spread to too many portals.
My ISP has access but that's a necessity and the only one.

On 11/30/2012 1:03 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 11/30/2012 8:03 AM:
>> On 11/29/2012 7:09 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 11/29/2012 6:05 PM:

>>> It should work, I didn't do anything special. I just went to "GMail
>>> Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP" and set it there.
>>
>> I tried explaining this to Ron ages ago.  When I created my Gmail
>> account, it was to specifically have every email addy forward to
>> Gmail, so I didn't have to use TB locally and/or login using webmail
>> to every account.  And I knew I was going to get a Palm Pre, so then I
>> could handle all email accounts from Gmail.  And I have multiple
>> sender addresses also.
>>
> Yeah, I'm just anal about having unmoderated personal data on the cloud
> at all. My lifestyle is tame by any standards but, still, I don't wish
> any data I haven't personally reviewed to be spread to too many portals.
> My ISP has access but that's a necessity and the only one.

I also prefer, on principle, to keep my data on my devices, and under my
control.  It just seem prudent.  There are enough government, and
commercial entities have have all too much data on me over which I have
little, or no, control  It's rather like pissing in the ocean, I guess,
but it makes me feel like I have some control.