The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
11/29/2012 11:53 AM:

> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:46:36 GMT-0800 (Pacific
> Standard Time), and on a whim, s|b pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:58:16 -0800, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>
>> It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
>> have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.
>
> Gmail=email client NOT newsreader ;-)

Gmail is not, technically, a client, as in client-server relationship.
More like SaaS app, no?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

s|b-2
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:15:32 -0800, Sailfish wrote:

> >> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
> > It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
> > have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.

> The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have it
> until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from Eudora.
> So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Guess.

--
s|b

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/29/2012 12:42 PM On a whim, Charlotte pounded out on the keyboard

> On 29/11/2012 22:24, [hidden email] wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 12:21 PM On a whim, Charlotte pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> On 29/11/2012 17:16, WaltS wrote:
>>> On 11/29/2012 09:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>> On 29/11/2012 15:02, WaltS wrote:
>>> On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
>>> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>>>
>>> Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.
>>>
>>> Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
>>> retried?
>>>
>>> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
>>> Newsgroups are not affected either way.
>>>
>>> Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.
>>>
>>> I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file one.
>>>
>>> I've filed a bug, on my set up it's definitely TB Conversations causing
>>> the problem as the feature works with all other add-ons (I do NOT have
>>> Quick Quote)
>> Hi Charlotte,
>>
>> If you're using TB, what have you done that replies are posted this way?
>>

> Hello,
>
> Yes, I'm using TB 17.0 I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.

Well, this posted fine.  The one I responded to wasn't quoted properly.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/29/2012 12:51 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 11:52 AM:
>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:10:14 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 11/29/2012 1:04 AM:

>>> Do we have a feedback loop problem here, it seems like an echo chamber?
>>>
>>> Anyway, MY TB doesn't AND, even if it did I would not use it 'cuz TB
>>> nor Gmail isn't MY default mail client.
>>>
>>> So, maybe, just maybe, I posted the thread for those who use Gmail
>>> (e.g., those folks who do an incessantly huge amount of image
>>> copy/pasting) who may not have been aware of the feature.
>>>
>>> just sayin' :-P
>> Why would that feature affect image copy/pasting that works in Chrome
>> and not Firefox?
>>
> You're reading to much into my jibe. The "copy/pasting" reference was a
> subtle allusion to the person I was aiming at :)

Since I am the only one I know of that discussed pasting images into
Gmail, I thought you were referring to me.  But still didn't see what it
had to do with pasting images.

>> I don't use Gmail for a newsreader (which it's not), so replies don't go
>> on and on to require the feature.
>
> Okay, then it seems Tarkus is the only one, however, from a purely
> altruistic POV, if I could help just one person, was not the effort
> worth it. After all, look at the side benefits garnered from post this
> thread. I mean, look at all the discussion generated :)

Do others use web based Gmail here?  Other than me, Tarkus I believe is
the only one who said they do.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/29/2012 12:44 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 11:54 AM:
>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 11:15:32 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what s|b graced us with on 11/29/2012
>>> 10:46 AM:

>>> The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have
>>> it until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from
>>> Eudora. So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
>> Like I said, it was working in a pre-release of 3.  And it works for me
>> here in 2.0.0.24, but likely the addon I stated earlier.
>
> 2.0.0.24 addon? Which one was that? I don't desire it for mail but it
> might come in handy for News at some point. TB 3, and on, was where my
> other TB showstopper issues started so that's not an option for me.

3.0.1bpre was the last TB to be able to use javascript within mail.
That's why I continued using it, as many of us used to post that way in
NTMM and early on in MTMM, before Chris put an end to it.

This version works like 2, but has quite a few features of 3.  Even
Ctrl-Shift-C works, which I was used to, and didn't like the change in v3.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

clay-14
On 11/29/2012 12:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 11:52 AM:
>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:10:14 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 11/29/2012 1:04 AM:

>> I don't use Gmail for a newsreader (which it's not), so replies don't go
>> on and on to require the feature.
>
> Okay, then it seems Tarkus is the only one, however, from a purely
> altruistic POV, if I could help just one person, was not the effort
> worth it. After all, look at the side benefits garnered from post this
> thread. I mean, look at all the discussion generated :)

[Continuing the discussions then...]
I've never used the feature in TB and probably never will. Never had a
gmail account and probably never will...
That said, yippee for all the gmailers out there and their wonderful,
powerful, new feature.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/29/2012 12:54 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 11:53 AM:
>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:46:36 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>> Standard Time), and on a whim, s|b pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
>>> have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.
>> Gmail=email client NOT newsreader ;-)
>
> Gmail is not, technically, a client, as in client-server relationship.
> More like SaaS app, no?

Well Gmail has its web based email client, which is client/server.  And
that is where the feature you refer to works in, correct?  It surely
wouldn't work on Gmail in my phone app.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Charlotte graced us with on
11/29/2012 12:42 PM:

> On 29/11/2012 22:24, [hidden email] wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 12:21 PM On a whim, Charlotte pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> On 29/11/2012 17:16, WaltS wrote:
>>> On 11/29/2012 09:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>> On 29/11/2012 15:02, WaltS wrote:
>>> On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
>>> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>>>
>>> Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.
>>>
>>> Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
>>> retried?
>>>
>>> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
>>> Newsgroups are not affected either way.
>>>
>>> Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.
>>>
>>> I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file
>>> one.
>>>
>>> I've filed a bug, on my set up it's definitely TB Conversations causing
>>> the problem as the feature works with all other add-ons (I do NOT have
>>> Quick Quote)
>>
>> Hi Charlotte,
>>
>> If you're using TB, what have you done that replies are posted this way?
>
> Yes, I'm using TB 17.0 I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.

It appears that when you reply to a post, the quote marks (normally a
series of ">" character, depending on the quote level) for the previous
content are stripped. This makes it hard to understand where others
content ends and yours begins.

Are you manually removing them, maybe?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what s|b graced us with on 11/29/2012
1:09 PM:

>>> It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
>>> have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.
>
>> The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have it
>> until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from Eudora.
>> So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
>
> Guess.

Ok, I guess your reply was pointless. Thanks for the clarification.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/29/2012 1:27 PM:

> On 11/29/2012 12:51 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
>> 11/29/2012 11:52 AM:
>>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:10:14 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>>> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Why would that feature affect image copy/pasting that works in Chrome
>>> and not Firefox?
>>>
>> You're reading to much into my jibe. The "copy/pasting" reference was a
>> subtle allusion to the person I was aiming at :)
>
> Since I am the only one I know of that discussed pasting images into
> Gmail, I thought you were referring to me.  But still didn't see what it
> had to do with pasting images.

It was! It was! And, it had nothing to do with pasting images and
everything to do with adding a bit of levity to the thread.

>>> I don't use Gmail for a newsreader (which it's not), so replies don't go
>>> on and on to require the feature.
>>
>> Okay, then it seems Tarkus is the only one, however, from a purely
>> altruistic POV, if I could help just one person, was not the effort
>> worth it. After all, look at the side benefits garnered from post this
>> thread. I mean, look at all the discussion generated :)
>
> Do others use web based Gmail here?  Other than me, Tarkus I believe is
> the only one who said they do.

I have a Gmail account but only use it as a forwarding anchor to my POP3
primary email account. Also, I needed one in order to get a Google
account, which, as it turns out, I very seldom log into.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Charlotte
On 29/11/2012 23:37, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Charlotte graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 12:42 PM:
>> On 29/11/2012 22:24, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> On 11/29/2012 12:21 PM On a whim, Charlotte pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Hi Charlotte,
>>>
>>> If you're using TB, what have you done that replies are posted this way?
>>
>> Yes, I'm using TB 17.0 I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> It appears that when you reply to a post, the quote marks (normally a
> series of ">" character, depending on the quote level) for the previous
> content are stripped. This makes it hard to understand where others
> content ends and yours begins.
>
> Are you manually removing them, maybe?

No, not manually, the culprit was the Quote and Compose Manager add-on
and its "delete automatically the quote character in newsgroups" I
apologise and hope this response is easier to read.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/29/2012 1:37 PM:

> On 11/29/2012 12:54 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
>> 11/29/2012 11:53 AM:
>>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:46:36 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>>> Standard Time), and on a whim, s|b pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Gmail=email client NOT newsreader ;-)
>>
>> Gmail is not, technically, a client, as in client-server relationship.
>> More like SaaS app, no?
>
> Well Gmail has its web based email client, which is client/server.  And
> that is where the feature you refer to works in, correct?  It surely
> wouldn't work on Gmail in my phone app.

I see Gmail being a browser-based client so, really, the browser would
be the client, not Gmail, at least from a desktop app POV.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Charlotte graced us with on
11/29/2012 2:13 PM:

> On 29/11/2012 23:37, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Charlotte graced us with on

>>> Yes, I'm using TB 17.0 I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.
>>
>> It appears that when you reply to a post, the quote marks (normally a
>> series of ">" character, depending on the quote level) for the previous
>> content are stripped. This makes it hard to understand where others
>> content ends and yours begins.
>>
>> Are you manually removing them, maybe?
>>
> No, not manually, the culprit was the Quote and Compose Manager add-on
> and its "delete automatically the quote character in newsgroups" I
> apologise and hope this response is easier to read.

ah, first, no apology sought or warranted and second, yes, very much easier.

Cheers

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
11/29/2012 12:00 PM:

> The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:54:52 AM, and on a
> whim, Terry R. pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 11:15:32 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what s|b graced us with on 11/29/2012
>>> 10:46 AM:

>>> The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have
>>> it until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from
>>> Eudora. So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
>>
>> Like I said, it was working in a pre-release of 3.  And it works for
>> me here in 2.0.0.24, but likely the addon I stated earlier.
>
> Yep, definitely Quick Quote.

The only place I found it was,
http://quickquote.mozdev.org/installation.html, and none of those
versions installed. Do you have a better site?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Jay Garcia
On 29.11.2012 13:20, Tarkus wrote:

> On 11/29/2012 9:23 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 29.11.2012 10:51, Ron Hunter wrote:

I understand that but I was specifically addressing the Eudora based on
TB comment.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

On 29.11.2012 14:42, Charlotte wrote:

> On 29/11/2012 22:24, [hidden email] wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 12:21 PM On a whim, Charlotte pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> On 29/11/2012 17:16, WaltS wrote:
>>> On 11/29/2012 09:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>> On 29/11/2012 15:02, WaltS wrote:
>>> On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
>>> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>>>
>>> Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.
>>>
>>> Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
>>> retried?
>>>
>>> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
>>> Newsgroups are not affected either way.
>>>
>>> Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.
>>>
>>> I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file
>>> one.
>>>
>>> I've filed a bug, on my set up it's definitely TB Conversations causing
>>> the problem as the feature works with all other add-ons (I do NOT have
>>> Quick Quote)
>>
>> Hi Charlotte,
>>
>> If you're using TB, what have you done that replies are posted this way?
>>

> Hello,
>
> Yes, I'm using TB 17.0 I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.

He means your replies do not have >> quote characters, everything is
jumbled together with no separation as to what is an old reply and new
reply.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/
Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Ron Hunter
On 11/29/2012 12:10 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 1:04 AM:
>> On 11/28/2012 10:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>>> quoted in the response.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>>
>> Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.
>>
> Do we have a feedback loop problem here, it seems like an echo chamber?
>
> Anyway, MY TB doesn't AND, even if it did I would not use it 'cuz TB nor
> Gmail isn't MY default mail client.
>
> So, maybe, just maybe, I posted the thread for those who use Gmail
> (e.g., those folks who do an incessantly huge amount of image
> copy/pasting) who may not have been aware of the feature.
>
> just sayin' :-P

That's because it was added THIS century, Sailfish.  User of antiquated
software...

On 11/29/2012 12:17 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 8:49 AM:
>> On 11/29/2012 6:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>> On 29/11/2012 11:04, Ron Hunter wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>>
>>> Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.
>>>
>>> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
>>> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>>>
>> It works fine for me with just the basic extensions I use, which are:
>> Testpilot
>> Compact headers
>> Extra Folder columns
>> Select Inbox
>> Mark All Read button.
>>
> And, as Charlotte noted, it works fine for her with Thunderbird
> Conversations disabled. It's unclear what your post adds to the problem
> determination efforts here?
>
> just sayin'
>Because the original message said it worked ONLY if that extension was
in use.  It works here, and I don't have that extension.  Now she is
saying it works without that extension, but not with it, so this is NOT
a TB problem.  The feature is there (except for users of antique
software), and it works just fine, unless something prevents it from
working.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
11/29/2012 2:35 PM:

> On 11/29/2012 12:10 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.
>>>
>> Do we have a feedback loop problem here, it seems like an echo chamber?
>>
>> Anyway, MY TB doesn't AND, even if it did I would not use it 'cuz TB nor
>> Gmail isn't MY default mail client.
>>
>> So, maybe, just maybe, I posted the thread for those who use Gmail
>> (e.g., those folks who do an incessantly huge amount of image
>> copy/pasting) who may not have been aware of the feature.
>>
>> just sayin' :-P
>>
> That's because it was added THIS century, Sailfish.  User of antiquated
> software...

Nothing wrong with antiquated software that excels in providing features
that are important to one and doesn't have showstopper issues with it.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/29/2012 1:43 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 11/29/2012 1:27 PM:
>> On 11/29/2012 12:51 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
>>> 11/29/2012 11:52 AM:

>>> You're reading to much into my jibe. The "copy/pasting" reference was a
>>> subtle allusion to the person I was aiming at :)
>> Since I am the only one I know of that discussed pasting images into
>> Gmail, I thought you were referring to me.  But still didn't see what it
>> had to do with pasting images.
>>
> It was! It was! And, it had nothing to do with pasting images and
> everything to do with adding a bit of levity to the thread.

>>> Okay, then it seems Tarkus is the only one, however, from a purely
>>> altruistic POV, if I could help just one person, was not the effort
>>> worth it. After all, look at the side benefits garnered from post this
>>> thread. I mean, look at all the discussion generated :)
>> Do others use web based Gmail here?  Other than me, Tarkus I believe is
>> the only one who said they do.
>>
> I have a Gmail account but only use it as a forwarding anchor to my POP3
> primary email account. Also, I needed one in order to get a Google
> account, which, as it turns out, I very seldom log into.

So, do you use the web based Gmail client, which I was referring to, or
use Gmail using a mail client like TB?