The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
11/29/2012 1:04 AM:

> On 11/28/2012 10:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>> quoted in the response.
>> " /]
>>
>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>
> Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.

Do we have a feedback loop problem here, it seems like an echo chamber?

Anyway, MY TB doesn't AND, even if it did I would not use it 'cuz TB nor
Gmail isn't MY default mail client.

So, maybe, just maybe, I posted the thread for those who use Gmail
(e.g., those folks who do an incessantly huge amount of image
copy/pasting) who may not have been aware of the feature.

just sayin' :-P

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

OT: The greatest Google Mail feature thread turns into a TB bug issue

Sailfish-2
11/29/2012 8:51 AM:

> On 11/29/2012 9:16 AM, WaltS wrote:

>>> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
>>> Newsgroups are not affected either way.
>>
>> Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.
>>
>> I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file one.
>>
> Why not investigate to see why it works for some of us, and not for
> others.  Try with NO add-ons enabled.

Another good reason for me posting this thread is uncovered, aye? :-8

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
11/29/2012 8:49 AM:

> On 11/29/2012 6:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>> On 29/11/2012 11:04, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>
>> Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.
>>
>> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
>> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>>
> It works fine for me with just the basic extensions I use, which are:
> Testpilot
> Compact headers
> Extra Folder columns
> Select Inbox
> Mark All Read button.

And, as Charlotte noted, it works fine for her with Thunderbird
Conversations disabled. It's unclear what your post adds to the problem
determination efforts here?

just sayin'

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on
11/29/2012 8:27 AM:

> Dempsey wrote:
>
>> On 28/11/2012 21:58, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> REF:
>>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>>> quoted in the response.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>>
>> TB has that functionality already for a while.
>
> Not surprising that TB has that feature as it is based on Eudora which
> has had it for
> many years now!

hmm, the time frame fits, as to when TB took on Eudora support, i.e.,
post TB 2x, as I recollect?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

s|b-2
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:58:16 -0800, Sailfish wrote:

> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.

It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.

--
s|b

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 11/29/2012 10:05 AM:

> On 11/28/2012 10:07 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Dempsey graced us with on

>>> TB has that functionality already for a while.
>>
>> And so it does. It even works that way when replying to newsgroup
>> threads. I'm on TB 2.0.0.24 and it doesn't work there so it was added
>> sometime after v3, it appears.
>
> Works in 3.0.1bpre here.

Thanks.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what s|b graced us with on 11/29/2012
10:46 AM:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:58:16 -0800, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>
> It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
> have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.

The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have it
until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from Eudora.
So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Tarkus-4
On 11/28/2012 11:19 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 08:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> here's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>> quoted in the response.
>
> Heh.  TB does that now!

Still pretty cool to have it in Gmail's web-based interface.  Took long
enough for TB to implement it too.

On 11/29/2012 9:23 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 29.11.2012 10:51, Ron Hunter wrote:

MANY programs had it before TB adopted it.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 11:10:47 GMT-0800 (Pacific
Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 11/29/2012 10:05 AM:
>> On 11/28/2012 10:07 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Dempsey graced us with on
>>> 11/28/2012 9:54 PM:

>>> And so it does. It even works that way when replying to newsgroup
>>> threads. I'm on TB 2.0.0.24 and it doesn't work there so it was added
>>> sometime after v3, it appears.
>> Works in 3.0.1bpre here.
>>
> Thanks.

Just opened 2.0.0.24 here and it works also.  May be Quick Quote.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:10:14 GMT-0800 (Pacific
Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 11/29/2012 1:04 AM:
>> On 11/28/2012 10:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>>> quoted in the response.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>>
>> Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.
>>
> Do we have a feedback loop problem here, it seems like an echo chamber?
>
> Anyway, MY TB doesn't AND, even if it did I would not use it 'cuz TB nor
> Gmail isn't MY default mail client.
>
> So, maybe, just maybe, I posted the thread for those who use Gmail
> (e.g., those folks who do an incessantly huge amount of image
> copy/pasting) who may not have been aware of the feature.
>
> just sayin' :-P

Why would that feature affect image copy/pasting that works in Chrome
and not Firefox?

I don't use Gmail for a newsreader (which it's not), so replies don't go
on and on to require the feature.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:46:36 GMT-0800 (Pacific
Standard Time), and on a whim, s|b pounded out on the keyboard:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:58:16 -0800, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>
> It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
> have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.

Gmail=email client NOT newsreader ;-)

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 11:15:32 GMT-0800 (Pacific
Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:

> My bloviated meandering follows what s|b graced us with on 11/29/2012
> 10:46 AM:
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:58:16 -0800, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>> It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
>> have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.
>>
> The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have it
> until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from Eudora.
> So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Like I said, it was working in a pre-release of 3.  And it works for me
here in 2.0.0.24, but likely the addon I stated earlier.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:54:52 AM, and on a
whim, Terry R. pounded out on the keyboard:

> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 11:15:32 GMT-0800 (Pacific
> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what s|b graced us with on 11/29/2012
>> 10:46 AM:

>>> It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
>>> have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.
>>>
>> The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have it
>> until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from Eudora.
>> So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
>>

> Like I said, it was working in a pre-release of 3.  And it works for me
> here in 2.0.0.24, but likely the addon I stated earlier.

Yep, definitely Quick Quote.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Charlotte
On 29/11/2012 17:16, WaltS wrote:
On 11/29/2012 09:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:
On 29/11/2012 15:02, WaltS wrote:
On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.

Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.

Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
retried?

Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
Newsgroups are not affected either way.

Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.

I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file one.

I've filed a bug, on my set up it's definitely TB Conversations causing
the problem as the feature works with all other add-ons (I do NOT have
Quick Quote)

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/29/2012 12:21 PM On a whim, Charlotte pounded out on the keyboard

> On 29/11/2012 17:16, WaltS wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 09:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:
> On 29/11/2012 15:02, WaltS wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>
> Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.
>
> Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
> retried?
>
> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
> Newsgroups are not affected either way.
>
> Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.
>
> I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file one.
>
> I've filed a bug, on my set up it's definitely TB Conversations causing
> the problem as the feature works with all other add-ons (I do NOT have
> Quick Quote)

Hi Charlotte,

If you're using TB, what have you done that replies are posted this way?

On 29/11/2012 22:24, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 11/29/2012 12:21 PM On a whim, Charlotte pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 29/11/2012 17:16, WaltS wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 09:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>> On 29/11/2012 15:02, WaltS wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
>> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>>
>> Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.
>>
>> Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
>> retried?
>>
>> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
>> Newsgroups are not affected either way.
>>
>> Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.
>>
>> I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file one.
>>
>> I've filed a bug, on my set up it's definitely TB Conversations causing
>> the problem as the feature works with all other add-ons (I do NOT have
>> Quick Quote)
>
> Hi Charlotte,
>
> If you're using TB, what have you done that replies are posted this way?

Hello,

Yes, I'm using TB 17.0 I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
11/29/2012 11:54 AM:

> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 11:15:32 GMT-0800 (Pacific
> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what s|b graced us with on 11/29/2012
>> 10:46 AM:

>>> It certainly isn't a "new" feature. A lot of newsreaders, if not all,
>>> have the same feature and they've had it for ages. Gmail is a copycat.
>>>
>> The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have
>> it until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from
>> Eudora. So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
>
> Like I said, it was working in a pre-release of 3.  And it works for me
> here in 2.0.0.24, but likely the addon I stated earlier.

2.0.0.24 addon? Which one was that? I don't desire it for mail but it
might come in handy for News at some point. TB 3, and on, was where my
other TB showstopper issues started so that's not an option for me.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
11/29/2012 12:00 PM:

> The date and time was Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:54:52 AM, and on a
> whim, Terry R. pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 11:15:32 GMT-0800 (Pacific
>> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what s|b graced us with on 11/29/2012
>>> 10:46 AM:

>>> The article stated it was a new nor unique feature and TB didn't have
>>> it until 3.x and, from the comments I've read, they copied it from
>>> Eudora. So, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
>>>

>> Like I said, it was working in a pre-release of 3.  And it works for
>> me here in 2.0.0.24, but likely the addon I stated earlier.
>
> Yep, definitely Quick Quote.

Ah, I'll give it a try, thx.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Terry R. graced us with on
11/29/2012 11:52 AM:

> The date and time was Thu Nov 29 2012 10:10:14 GMT-0800 (Pacific
> Standard Time), and on a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.
>>>
>> Do we have a feedback loop problem here, it seems like an echo chamber?
>>
>> Anyway, MY TB doesn't AND, even if it did I would not use it 'cuz TB
>> nor Gmail isn't MY default mail client.
>>
>> So, maybe, just maybe, I posted the thread for those who use Gmail
>> (e.g., those folks who do an incessantly huge amount of image
>> copy/pasting) who may not have been aware of the feature.
>>
>> just sayin' :-P
>
> Why would that feature affect image copy/pasting that works in Chrome
> and not Firefox?

You're reading to much into my jibe. The "copy/pasting" reference was a
subtle allusion to the person I was aiming at :)

> I don't use Gmail for a newsreader (which it's not), so replies don't go
> on and on to require the feature.

Okay, then it seems Tarkus is the only one, however, from a purely
altruistic POV, if I could help just one person, was not the effort
worth it. After all, look at the side benefits garnered from post this
thread. I mean, look at all the discussion generated :)