The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
REF: http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html

[excerpt quote="
There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
quoted in the response.
" /]

I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

dempseyvv
On 28/11/2012 21:58, Sailfish wrote:

> REF: http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>
> [excerpt quote="
> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
> quoted in the response.
> " /]
>
> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.

TB has that functionality already for a while.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Dempsey graced us with on
11/28/2012 9:54 PM:

> On 28/11/2012 21:58, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>> quoted in the response.
>> " /]
>>
>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>
> TB has that functionality already for a while.

And so it does. It even works that way when replying to newsgroup
threads. I'm on TB 2.0.0.24 and it doesn't work there so it was added
sometime after v3, it appears.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

The Real Bev
On 11/28/2012 08:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> here's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
> quoted in the response.

Heh.  TB does that now!

--
Cheers,
Bev

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Sailfish-2
11/28/2012 11:19 PM:
> On 11/28/2012 08:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> here's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>> quoted in the response.
>
> Heh.  TB does that now!

Old news now :_)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Ron Hunter
On 11/28/2012 10:58 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF: http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>
> [excerpt quote="
> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
> quoted in the response.
> " /]
>
> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.

Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.

On 11/29/2012 12:07 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Dempsey graced us with on
> 11/28/2012 9:54 PM:
>> On 28/11/2012 21:58, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>>> quoted in the response.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>>
>> TB has that functionality already for a while.
>
> And so it does. It even works that way when replying to newsgroup
> threads. I'm on TB 2.0.0.24 and it doesn't work there so it was added
> sometime after v3, it appears.

Not long after, if memory serves (which it frequently doesn't these days).

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Charlotte
On 29/11/2012 11:04, Ron Hunter wrote:
REF: http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html

Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.

This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

WaltS-3
On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.

Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.

Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and retried?

--
All I want to do is rant!

On 29/11/2012 15:02, WaltS wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
>> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>
> Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.
>
> Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
> retried?

Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
Newsgroups are not affected either way.

On 11/29/2012 09:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:

> On 29/11/2012 15:02, WaltS wrote:
>> On 11/29/2012 07:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
>>> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.
>>
>> Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.
>>
>> Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
>> retried?
>>
> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
> Newsgroups are not affected either way.

Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.

I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file one.

--
All I want to do is rant!

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

jetjock
Dempsey wrote:

> On 28/11/2012 21:58, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> REF:
>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>> quoted in the response.
>> " /]
>>
>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>
> TB has that functionality already for a while.

Not surprising that TB has that feature as it is based on Eudora which
has had it for
many years now!

On 11/29/2012 6:28 AM, Charlotte wrote:
> On 29/11/2012 11:04, Ron Hunter wrote:
> REF: http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>
> Wow, TB should have that.  Oh, wait, it already DOES.
>
> This feature works for me only when I unload Thunderbird Conversations
> 2.5.2, is this a known bug for TB Conversations? I can't find anything.

It works fine for me with just the basic extensions I use, which are:
Testpilot
Compact headers
Extra Folder columns
Select Inbox
Mark All Read button.

On 11/29/2012 8:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:
> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
> Newsgroups are not affected either way.

I just worked for me.

On 11/29/2012 9:16 AM, WaltS wrote:

> On 11/29/2012 09:44 AM, Charlotte wrote:
>>>
>>> Works for me with Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 enabled.
>>>
>>> Have you Restarted with Add-ons Disabled, enabled Conversations and
>>> retried?
>>>
>> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
>> Newsgroups are not affected either way.
>
> Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.
>
> I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file one.

Why not investigate to see why it works for some of us, and not for
others.  Try with NO add-ons enabled.

On 11/29/2012 10:27 AM, jetjock wrote:

> Dempsey wrote:
>
>> On 28/11/2012 21:58, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> REF:
>>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>>> quoted in the response.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>>
>> TB has that functionality already for a while.
>
> Not surprising that TB has that feature as it is based on Eudora which
> has had it for
> many years now!

No, Eudora is NOW based on TB.

On 11/29/2012 11:27 AM, jetjock wrote:

> Dempsey wrote:
>
>> On 28/11/2012 21:58, Sailfish wrote:
>>
>>> REF:
>>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>>> quoted in the response.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>>
>> TB has that functionality already for a while.
>
> Not surprising that TB has that feature as it is based on Eudora which
> has had it for
> many years now!

I can neither confirm or deny that claim.

Do you have a citation?

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.2
Thunderbird Release

On 11/29/2012 11:51 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/29/2012 9:16 AM, WaltS wrote:

>>> Yes, this feature only works for me with Conversations disabled.
>>> Newsgroups are not affected either way.
>>
>> Just tested with an email, and can reproduce your problem.
>>
>> I haven't researched if there is a bug filed. You might want to file one.
>>
> Why not investigate to see why it works for some of us, and not for
> others.  Try with NO add-ons enabled.

Do you have Thunderbird Conversations 2.5.2 installed and enabled? That
is the extension causing the problem, as Charlotte pointed out, and I
confirmed in my testing.

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.2
Thunderbird Release
Testing Fedora 18 Beta | XFCE desktop.

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

Jay Garcia
On 29.11.2012 10:51, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> TB has that functionality already for a while.
>>
>> Not surprising that TB has that feature as it is based on Eudora which
>> has had it for
>> many years now!
>>
> No, Eudora is NOW based on TB.

I haven't used Eudora in years. However, I think I read it as that
Eudora had that feature long before being based on TB.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: The greatest Google Mail feature you may not be using

F1Com
On 11/28/2012 10:07 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what Dempsey graced us with on
> 11/28/2012 9:54 PM:
>> On 28/11/2012 21:58, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> There's a wonderfully powerful and subtle technique in Google Mail that
>>> can be used to enhance every reply you make to a mail: if you select an
>>> area of a message and then hit Reply only the selected text will be
>>> quoted in the response.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'd call it "the greatest" but it is pretty nice.
>>>
>> TB has that functionality already for a while.
>
> And so it does. It even works that way when replying to newsgroup
> threads. I'm on TB 2.0.0.24 and it doesn't work there so it was added
> sometime after v3, it appears.

Works in 3.0.1bpre here.