The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

1234 ... 14

The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

Sailfish-4
REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324

[excerpt quote=\"
*Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
about history*

The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.

Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
\" /]

Oh, the humanity of it all!

--
Sailfish

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

LnrB-3
Sailfish wrote:

> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
> about history*
>
> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>
> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
> \" /]
>
> Oh, the humanity of it all!

My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
they last a very long time.
(';')

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what LnrB graced us with on 9/14/2013
11:31 AM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
>> about history*
>>
>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
>> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
>> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
>> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
>> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
>> \" /]
>>
>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>
> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
> they last a very long time.
> (';')

Yep. And, really, in the immensity of all that is the cosmos, does it
really matter? :-)

--
Sailfish

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

PhillipJones-2
Sailfish wrote:

> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
> about history*
>
> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>
> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
> \" /]
>
> Oh, the humanity of it all!

I never thought about it one way or another. I just type one space
between sentences. Just the way I was taught in school. Started in 1955
there abouts. After 58 years I ain't gonna change.  As long as there is
a Space or two or three between sentences to differentiate between
sentences what difference does it make.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

LnrB wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
>> about history*
>>
>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
>> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
>> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
>> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
>> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
>> \" /]
>>
>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>>

> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
> they last a very long time.
> (';')
I didn't take typing in High school. Typing Book keeping Home Ec was the
domain of women. If a Boy want to take Typing he was consider a queer
(what the called gays bay in the 60's and Industrial Arts (Auto
Mechanics, Electronics, woodworking, Sheet metal works and general
mechanics was consider the domain of Men and Boys. If a Girl wanted take
a Class  in industrial Arts they were considered Dykes (Female version
of Gays). Typing bookkeeping and stenography were considered
steppingstone by the Girls to locate and hook them a man for Marriage
and the Home Ec was prepare her to Make a Home for the Family. This was
before Civil rights, women's, Right's and Gay Rights. This was back in
the Day men provided the income and the protector, women made the home,
and Children. And they Races stayed apart. Just the way it was.

So I ended up using single space whether I used a Typewriter or not.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

Trane Francks
On 9/15/13 4:54 AM +0900, PhillipJones wrote:

> LnrB wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
>>> about history*
>>>
>>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
>>> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
>>> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
>>> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
>>> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>>>

>> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
>> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
>> they last a very long time.
>> (';')
> I didn't take typing in High school. Typing Book keeping Home Ec was the
> domain of women. If a Boy want to take Typing he was consider a queer
> (what the called gays bay in the 60's and Industrial Arts (Auto
> Mechanics, Electronics, woodworking, Sheet metal works and general
> mechanics was consider the domain of Men and Boys. If a Girl wanted take
> a Class  in industrial Arts they were considered Dykes (Female version
> of Gays). Typing bookkeeping and stenography were considered
> steppingstone by the Girls to locate and hook them a man for Marriage
> and the Home Ec was prepare her to Make a Home for the Family. This was
> before Civil rights, women's, Right's and Gay Rights. This was back in
> the Day men provided the income and the protector, women made the home,
> and Children. And they Races stayed apart. Just the way it was.
>
> So I ended up using single space whether I used a Typewriter or not.

Glad I didn't grow up in your world. Wow.

--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Trane Francks    [hidden email]    Tokyo, Japan

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

RAV-2
On 9/14/2013 3:54 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> LnrB wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
>>> about history*
>>>
>>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
>>> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
>>> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
>>> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
>>> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>>>

>> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
>> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
>> they last a very long time.
>> (';')
> I didn't take typing in High school. Typing Book keeping Home Ec was the
> domain of women. If a Boy want to take Typing he was consider a queer
> (what the called gays bay in the 60's and Industrial Arts (Auto
> Mechanics, Electronics, woodworking, Sheet metal works and general
> mechanics was consider the domain of Men and Boys. If a Girl wanted take
> a Class  in industrial Arts they were considered Dykes (Female version
> of Gays). Typing bookkeeping and stenography were considered
> steppingstone by the Girls to locate and hook them a man for Marriage
> and the Home Ec was prepare her to Make a Home for the Family. This was
> before Civil rights, women's, Right's and Gay Rights. This was back in
> the Day men provided the income and the protector, women made the home,
> and Children. And they Races stayed apart. Just the way it was.
>
> So I ended up using single space whether I used a Typewriter or not.

When and where did you go to H.S.?

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers
> tell about history*
>
> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them
> how wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a
> mission to show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked
> article.
>
> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by
> typographers to make themselves feel like they are correct in some
> absolute way.  The account is riddled with historical fabrication.
> Here are some facts: \" /]
>
> Oh, the humanity of it all!

Maybe it's not, but that "fairy tale" looks to me like a straw man.
Maybe there are a lot of typographers pushing that story, but the only
ones I've ever talked with about it recognize the wider spacing after
full stops as the way it was usually handled historically, and that this
disappeared from printed stuff as technology made sensible kerning
feasible.

With monospaced stuff, like manual typewriters, <pre> tags, and (IMO)
netnews, that kind of kerning isn't possible, so extra spacing after
full stops persists.

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 9/14/2013
1:52 PM:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers
>> tell about history*
>>
>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them
>> how wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a
>> mission to show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked
>> article.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by
>> typographers to make themselves feel like they are correct in some
>> absolute way.  The account is riddled with historical fabrication.
>> Here are some facts: \" /]
>>
>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>
> Maybe it's not, but that "fairy tale" looks to me like a straw man.
> Maybe there are a lot of typographers pushing that story, but the only
> ones I've ever talked with about it recognize the wider spacing after
> full stops as the way it was usually handled historically, and that this
> disappeared from printed stuff as technology made sensible kerning
> feasible.
>
> With monospaced stuff, like manual typewriters, <pre> tags, and (IMO)
> netnews, that kind of kerning isn't possible, so extra spacing after
> full stops persists.

The thing is, unless someone uses special HTML tags (e.g., .nbsp;, PRE,
CODE, &c) web site trim the extra space anyway. So, I suspect that most
online resumes play by HTML rules :_)

PhillipJones wrote:

> LnrB wrote:
> > Sailfish wrote:
> >> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
> >>
> >> [excerpt quote=\"
> >> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
> >> about history*
> >>
> >> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
> >> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
> >> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
> >> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
> >> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
> >> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
> >> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
> >> \" /]
> >>
> >> Oh, the humanity of it all!
> >>

> > My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
> > sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
> > they last a very long time.
> > (';')
> I didn't take typing in High school. Typing Book keeping Home Ec was the
> domain of women. If a Boy want to take Typing he was consider a queer
> (what the called gays bay in the 60's and Industrial Arts (Auto
> Mechanics, Electronics, woodworking, Sheet metal works and general
> mechanics was consider the domain of Men and Boys. If a Girl wanted take
> a Class  in industrial Arts they were considered Dykes (Female version
> of Gays). Typing bookkeeping and stenography were considered
> steppingstone by the Girls to locate and hook them a man for Marriage
> and the Home Ec was prepare her to Make a Home for the Family. This was
> before Civil rights, women's, Right's and Gay Rights. This was back in
> the Day men provided the income and the protector, women made the home,
> and Children. And they Races stayed apart. Just the way it was.
>
> So I ended up using single space whether I used a Typewriter or not.

I was the first girl to take welding, and No One thought I was a Dyke.
(I do know what that is, btw)

I'm the only girl in a large family and my brothers a) thought it was
very cool that I was taking welding (I'm a better welder than any of
them), and b) ran interference for me so none of the guys 'bothered'
me.  I got a B+.

I always went to class with make-up and earrings, BOTH earrings, dressed
and behaved like a proper girl.  I did Not take the class to 'catch a
man' but to learn to weld.  Typing class seemed like a good idea and
I've not had occasion to regret it.

I met the man I later married in my second year of a 3 year college
program to become certified to repair, rebuild and service diesel
injector pumps.  I was professor's assistant in Engines 101 Shop Lab.  I
was the first girl there too.  My duties included oversight of about 20
students' overhaul projects, rendering assistance where needed.  He was
one of the students, having just been released from the US Army.  (I got
an A in that class)

I didn't take a either of those classes to "locate or hook a man." I
wanted a profession wherein I could support myself and not be dependent
on anyone.
(';')

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

Was Greywolf
On 2013-09-14 2:31 PM, LnrB wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
>> about history*
>>
>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
>> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
>> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
>> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
>> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
>> \" /]
>>
>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>>

> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
> they last a very long time.
> (';')

Single space fpr me, same reason.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

WaltS-2
On 09/14/2013 02:31 PM, LnrB wrote:
Sailfish wrote:
[...]

I purposely got kicked out of typing class in the 60's, because I could
see no use for the class.

Who knew I would be pecking at a computer keyboard in the 90's and beyond.

Re: The are lies, damn lies and then there are single-space Nazis

Ron Hunter
On 9/14/2013 1:31 PM, LnrB wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
>> about history*
>>
>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
>> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
>> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
>> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
>> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
>> \" /]
>>
>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>>

> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
> they last a very long time.
> (';')

Yep, mine too.  It is rather hard to break a habit that old.

On 9/14/2013 2:54 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> LnrB wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
>>> about history*
>>>
>>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
>>> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
>>> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
>>> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
>>> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>>>

>> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
>> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
>> they last a very long time.
>> (';')
> I didn't take typing in High school. Typing Book keeping Home Ec was the
> domain of women. If a Boy want to take Typing he was consider a queer
> (what the called gays bay in the 60's and Industrial Arts (Auto
> Mechanics, Electronics, woodworking, Sheet metal works and general
> mechanics was consider the domain of Men and Boys. If a Girl wanted take
> a Class  in industrial Arts they were considered Dykes (Female version
> of Gays). Typing bookkeeping and stenography were considered
> steppingstone by the Girls to locate and hook them a man for Marriage
> and the Home Ec was prepare her to Make a Home for the Family. This was
> before Civil rights, women's, Right's and Gay Rights. This was back in
> the Day men provided the income and the protector, women made the home,
> and Children. And they Races stayed apart. Just the way it was.
>
> So I ended up using single space whether I used a Typewriter or not.

I took both wood shop, and typing.  Being one of about 3 boys in a class
of girls was great.  The only bad part was that my typing teacher was
also my English teacher, so I had to type all papers for English, and
she graded off for typing errors, which I still think was unfair, but
back then, the teacher was always right.

Trane Francks wrote:

> On 9/15/13 4:54 AM +0900, PhillipJones wrote:
>> LnrB wrote:

>>> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
>>> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
>>> they last a very long time.
>>> (';')
>> I didn't take typing in High school. Typing Book keeping Home Ec was the
>> domain of women. If a Boy want to take Typing he was consider a queer
>> (what the called gays bay in the 60's and Industrial Arts (Auto
>> Mechanics, Electronics, woodworking, Sheet metal works and general
>> mechanics was consider the domain of Men and Boys. If a Girl wanted take
>> a Class  in industrial Arts they were considered Dykes (Female version
>> of Gays). Typing bookkeeping and stenography were considered
>> steppingstone by the Girls to locate and hook them a man for Marriage
>> and the Home Ec was prepare her to Make a Home for the Family. This was
>> before Civil rights, women's, Right's and Gay Rights. This was back in
>> the Day men provided the income and the protector, women made the home,
>> and Children. And they Races stayed apart. Just the way it was.
>>
>> So I ended up using single space whether I used a Typewriter or not.
>>
> Glad I didn't grow up in your world. Wow.

I'm glad you didn't either it was a nightmare. I was Bullied from time I
started school until I got into 8th grade. The only way way it stopped
was I beat the kids face to a pulp breaking his nose and jaw. Took My
mother, his mother and 6 other boys to break us apart.  Was the last of
the bullying.

In the 50's and 60's its just the way it was. Boys and girls , men and
women had their place and didn't stray one way or the other. It you did
you were made fun of or ostracized, or beat up.

As for gays I believe a person is born that way its nature not nurture.
As For women's right I say they should have right to get any job they
are Physically able to do and should be paid equally. As For Race, my
Mother was born in 1924 and Dad in 1912. Both there families were dirt
poor. Dad's Dad was Blacksmith made little money and was two easy going
in Business. And he liked to drink to much. So when kids were old enough
they worked in fields of other neighbors they would get paid in Flour or
Meal not much money. There was a Black church near their house and they
would often invite my dad's Family to their "Association" and would feed
them. Dad said if were it not for them  The family would have went with
anything to eat for days.
Mother went to live with her Grandparents for the summer, then that fall
Her Grand dad was the first fatality as a result of auto in the state of
Va. She end up stay with her grandmother for 10 years to help her
grandmother make a living. Some day an Elderly Black Man ran a soup
kitchen for Rail road workers. If there was leftover's he would invite
all neighborhood children Black and white alike to eat. Often it was the
only meal my mother had that day. So they, as well, as myself have had
the attitude color different make any difference we are ll trying to
make a living in this world. Both Dad and Mom worked along side blacks
and other races and had many friends  in all races they came in contact
with.  I once when working with Furniture and Appliance sore as TV Tech
I helped deliver a stove to a Black Family. It was late and we were
invited to eat supper and we did. Great Food.  So I did fairly well
considering what I went through in the 50s-60s.

The world was a lot different 50-60 years ago than it is now.

Rav wrote:

> On 9/14/2013 3:54 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> LnrB wrote:

>>> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
>>> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
>>> they last a very long time.
>>> (';')
>> I didn't take typing in High school. Typing Book keeping Home Ec was the
>> domain of women. If a Boy want to take Typing he was consider a queer
>> (what the called gays bay in the 60's and Industrial Arts (Auto
>> Mechanics, Electronics, woodworking, Sheet metal works and general
>> mechanics was consider the domain of Men and Boys. If a Girl wanted take
>> a Class  in industrial Arts they were considered Dykes (Female version
>> of Gays). Typing bookkeeping and stenography were considered
>> steppingstone by the Girls to locate and hook them a man for Marriage
>> and the Home Ec was prepare her to Make a Home for the Family. This was
>> before Civil rights, women's, Right's and Gay Rights. This was back in
>> the Day men provided the income and the protector, women made the home,
>> and Children. And they Races stayed apart. Just the way it was.
>>
>> So I ended up using single space whether I used a Typewriter or not.
>>

> When and where did you go to H.S.?
rather not say the name of the school  but went to high school from
1963-64 to 1967-68

LnrB wrote:

> PhillipJones wrote:
>> LnrB wrote:

>> tell

>> them how

>> typographers
>> way.  The

>> > My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
>> > sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
>> > they last a very long time.
>> > (';')
>> I didn't take typing in High school. Typing Book keeping Home Ec was the
>> domain of women. If a Boy want to take Typing he was consider a queer
>> (what the called gays bay in the 60's and Industrial Arts (Auto
>> Mechanics, Electronics, woodworking, Sheet metal works and general
>> mechanics was consider the domain of Men and Boys. If a Girl wanted take
>> a Class  in industrial Arts they were considered Dykes (Female version
>> of Gays). Typing bookkeeping and stenography were considered
>> steppingstone by the Girls to locate and hook them a man for Marriage
>> and the Home Ec was prepare her to Make a Home for the Family. This was
>> before Civil rights, women's, Right's and Gay Rights. This was back in
>> the Day men provided the income and the protector, women made the home,
>> and Children. And they Races stayed apart. Just the way it was.
>>
>> So I ended up using single space whether I used a Typewriter or not.
>>

> I was the first girl to take welding, and No One thought I was a Dyke.
> (I do know what that is, btw)
>
> I'm the only girl in a large family and my brothers a) thought it was
> very cool that I was taking welding (I'm a better welder than any of
> them), and b) ran interference for me so none of the guys 'bothered'
> me.  I got a B+.
>
> I always went to class with make-up and earrings, BOTH earrings, dressed
> and behaved like a proper girl.  I did Not take the class to 'catch a
> man' but to learn to weld.  Typing class seemed like a good idea and
> I've not had occasion to regret it.
>
> I met the man I later married in my second year of a 3 year college
> program to become certified to repair, rebuild and service diesel
> injector pumps.  I was professor's assistant in Engines 101 Shop Lab.  I
> was the first girl there too.  My duties included oversight of about 20
> students' overhaul projects, rendering assistance where needed.  He was
> one of the students, having just been released from the US Army.  (I got
> an A in that class)
>
> I didn't take a either of those classes to "locate or hook a man." I
> wanted a profession wherein I could support myself and not be dependent
> on anyone.
> (';')

To me I thought women and men (boys or Girls) ought to be able to take
whatever classes they want. I live in a very close mind Community. Many
things people still have the same attitudes as in the 50s and 60s.

I think its cool you know welding.

WaltS wrote:

> On 09/14/2013 02:31 PM, LnrB wrote:
> Sailfish wrote:
> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
> about history*
>
> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>
> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
> \" /]
>
> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>

> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
> they last a very long time.
> (';')
>

> I purposely got kicked out of typing class in the 60's, because I could
> see no use for the class.
>
> Who knew I would be pecking at a computer keyboard in the 90's and beyond.

I wish I had taken Typing despite the risk of being called Gay. I regret
not taking.
Now with all the meds I have to take and arthritis I have I couldn't if
I tried.

On 9/14/2013 10:39 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> [...]
> grandmother make a living. Some day an Elderly Black Man ran a soup
> kitchen for Rail road workers. If there was leftover's he would invite
> all neighborhood children Black and white alike to eat. Often it was the
> only meal my mother had that day. So they, as well, as myself have had
> the attitude color different make any difference we are ll trying to
> make a living in this world. Both Dad and Mom worked along side blacks
> and other races and had many friends  in all races they came in contact
> with.  I once when working with Furniture and Appliance sore as TV Tech
> I helped deliver a stove to a Black Family. It was late and we were
> invited to eat supper and we did. Great Food.  So I did fairly well
> considering what I went through in the 50s-60s.
>
> The world was a lot different 50-60 years ago than it is now.

I grew up in a time, and place where racial prejudice was the rule, and
the law.  When I got old enough to reason for myself, I made the
intellectual decision to not hold anyone responsible for something they
had no control over, so their color, sexual orientation, or
physical/mental disabilities are disregarded, intellectually.  However,
the gut often disagrees, and when I see a white woman and a black man
kissing, it still bothers me, but I surpress any reaction, as it is
their business.  I can't change the feeling, but I can control the
actions.  If that isn't good enough for other people, that's too bad.
At 70, it is unlikly my gut is going to change.

On 9/14/2013 10:48 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> WaltS wrote:
>> On 09/14/2013 02:31 PM, LnrB wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> *Why two spaces after a period isn’t wrong or the lies typographers tell
>> about history*
>>
>> The author, Farhad Manjoo, is astounded to find so many educated and
>> ignorant people who apparently believe that two spaces are okay.  He
>> even polls people over Thanksgiving dinner, just so he can tell them how
>> wrong they are!  The author subsequently decides to go on a mission to
>> show them why they are wrong, resulting in the linked article.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this whole story is a fairy tale, made up by typographers
>> to make themselves feel like they are correct in some absolute way.  The
>> account is riddled with historical fabrication.  Here are some facts:
>> \" /]
>>
>> Oh, the humanity of it all!
>>

>> My high school typing class required two spaces at the end of
>> sentences.  So that's how I type.  You know how habits are.  Once set,
>> they last a very long time.
>> (';')
>>

>> I purposely got kicked out of typing class in the 60's, because I could
>> see no use for the class.
>>
>> Who knew I would be pecking at a computer keyboard in the 90's and
>> beyond.
>
> I wish I had taken Typing despite the risk of being called Gay. I regret
> not taking.
> Now with all the meds I have to take and arthritis I have I couldn't if
> I tried.

I took the class because my older brother had a typewriter, and my
handwriting hasn't been good since the bout with polio (not that it was
great before).  I never got very fast, but did manage a B in the course.
  I was warned NOT to put down typing as a skill when I went into the
Air Force as I would find myself chained to a typewriter if I did.
Ironic that I ended up in IT, where I spent the next 38 years in front
of a computer keyboard.  Grin.

1234 ... 14