The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

mhoye

Hi, everyone. Mike Hoye here, and I need your help.

On Monday the announcement for the 2013 Mozilla Summit was sent out to those members of the community who have a "vouched" account on the Mozillians site.

I'm certain that a lot of important contributors to the Mozilla project aren't in that group; I'm asking for your help to make sure that the entire Mozilla community gets this information, and nobody is overlooked.

I don't know who to send it on to; I'm hoping you do.

The process for registering for the summit is below. If you or anyone you pass this information on to has problems registering or if the process presents any other barriers to community members' participation, please let me know directly, and soon.

Thank you,

- mhoye

-----------------------------

Hello Mozillians,

As you may or may not have heard, we have just announced the dates for the 2013 Mozilla Summit - October 4th - 6th in three cities :

    1.
Paris, France
    2.
San Francisco / Bay Area, California
    3.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

To be considered for an invitation, we need to know if you are interested and available to attend by April 10th, 2013 .

Before you decide, take a look at Mitchell’s blog post about the Summit here https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2013/03/31/mozilla-summit/ and my post about it here https://blog.mozilla.org/community/2013/03/28/mozilla-summit-2013-the-word-is-out/ . Our wiki page here https://wiki.mozilla.org/Summit2013 .

If you receive and accept an invitation, which will be sent by the first week in May, Mozilla will arrange and pay for your travel and accommodations (details to come). April 10th, 2013 is a firm deadline so please do your very best to let us know by then. If we don’t hear from you, we will assume you are not available to attend.

Here’s how. You must do both of these things by April 10th to be considered for an invitation to the Mozilla Summit 2013:

    1.
Add your home country (where you’ll travel from) to your profile if you haven't already: https://mozillians.org/user/edit/
    2.
View the Summit 2013 group and click the 'Join Group' button if you are interested and available to attend the Summit: https://mozillians.org/group/summit2013/

We will let you know if you’ll be invited, via email, by the first week in May. We have a small working group figuring out who will go to which location and will share those details as well by that date.

Official registration details will come by June 30th, 2013 .

Thank you all,

Mardi Douglass
Internal Communications @ Mozilla
IRC #summit2013

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Kyle Huey-2
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Michael Hoye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, everyone. Mike Hoye here, and I need your help.
>

> On Monday the announcement for the 2013 Mozilla Summit was sent out to
> those members of the community who have a "vouched" account on the
> Mozillians site.
>
> I'm certain that a lot of important contributors to the Mozilla project
> aren't in that group; I'm asking for your help to make sure that the entire
> Mozilla community gets this information, and nobody is overlooked.
>
> I don't know who to send it on to; I'm hoping you do.
>
> The process for registering for the summit is below. If you or anyone you
> pass this information on to has problems registering or if the process
> presents any other barriers to community members' participation, please let
> me know directly, and soon.
>
> Thank you,
>

> - mhoye
>

> -----------------------------
>

> Hello Mozillians,
>
> As you may or may not have heard, we have just announced the dates for the
> 2013 Mozilla Summit - October 4th - 6th in three cities :
>

>     1.
> Paris, France
>     2.
> San Francisco / Bay Area, California
>     3.
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada
>

> To be considered for an invitation, we need to know if you are interested
> and available to attend by April 10th, 2013 .
>
> Before you decide, take a look at Mitchell’s blog post about the Summit
> here https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2013/03/31/mozilla-summit/ and my
> post about it here
> https://blog.mozilla.org/community/2013/03/28/mozilla-summit-2013-the-word-is-out/. Our wiki page here
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Summit2013 .
>
> If you receive and accept an invitation, which will be sent by the first
> week in May, Mozilla will arrange and pay for your travel and
> accommodations (details to come). April 10th, 2013 is a firm deadline so
> please do your very best to let us know by then. If we don’t hear from you,
> we will assume you are not available to attend.
>
> Here’s how. You must do both of these things by April 10th to be
> considered for an invitation to the Mozilla Summit 2013:
>

>     1.
> Add your home country (where you’ll travel from) to your profile if you
> haven't already: https://mozillians.org/user/edit/
>     2.
> View the Summit 2013 group and click the 'Join Group' button if you are
> interested and available to attend the Summit:
> https://mozillians.org/group/summit2013/
>

> We will let you know if you’ll be invited, via email, by the first week in
> May. We have a small working group figuring out who will go to which
> location and will share those details as well by that date.
>
> Official registration details will come by June 30th, 2013 .
>
> Thank you all,
>
> Mardi Douglass
> Internal Communications @ Mozilla
> IRC #summit2013

Sending it to [hidden email] would be a good start.  I know there are
employees who aren't on Mozillians.

Have we reached out to the various l10n/country communities?  I suspect
they'll disseminate this on their own but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

- Kyle

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

mhoye

> Sending it to [hidden email] would be a good start. I know
> there are employees who aren't on Mozillians.

No, this is explicitly for contributors and community members, not for contractors or employees. Those people are assumed to be attending.

> Have we reached out to the various l10n/country communities? I
> suspect they'll disseminate this on their own but it wouldn't hurt
> to ask.

This is an excellent idea. I'll get in touch with our l10n people directly.

- mhoye

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Michael Hoye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Employees and contractors are contributors and community members.

That said, if there is a different process for paid staff, somebody should
probably tell them that.

- Kyle

Pardon me - I meant only that "the summit email was sent to registered Mozillians whose email address did not end in @mozilla.*".

> That said, if there is a different process for paid staff, somebody
> should probably tell them that.

Indeed.

- mhoye

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

davidascher
Fyi, Mitchell's blog post says:

" This year we’re going to gather as many key contributors as we can at the
same time for the 2013 Mozilla Summit. The Summit will be open to about
1,000 Mozilla volunteers and all 900 or so of our employees."

> [...]

Axel Hecht
On 03.04.13 17:43, Michael Hoye wrote:

> [...]
Oh hi, and I filed a bug 857352 for not getting the email.

TBH, it should have just been sent to all mozillians.

As for l10n, I'm waiting for clarity on how to get who on to the summit
planning assembly.

Axel

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Robert O'Callahan-3
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Michael Hoye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pardon me - I meant only that "the summit email was sent to registered
> Mozillians whose email address did not end in @mozilla.*".

Quite a number of Mozilla employees are registered at Mozillians with a
personal email address --- including me. So some of us have already signed
up that way.  The fact that some Mozilla employees got summit invitations
and others did not has caused some confusion.

I also notice that a number of people with mozilla.com addresses have
joined the Summit2013 Mozillians group.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Nicholas Nethercote
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Michael Hoye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday the announcement for the 2013 Mozilla Summit was sent out to
> those members of the community who have a "vouched" account on the
> Mozillians site.

I'm an employee and thus have a vouched Mozillians account.  I didn't
receive an email in either of these capacities.  This email is the first
I've heard of the dates for the summit.

Nick

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Kannan Vijayan
On 13-04-03 8:48 PM, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Michael Hoye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Monday the announcement for the 2013 Mozilla Summit was sent out to
>> those members of the community who have a "vouched" account on the
>> Mozillians site.
>>
> I'm an employee and thus have a vouched Mozillians account.  I didn't
> receive an email in either of these capacities.  This email is the first
> I've heard of the dates for the summit.
>
> Nick
Same here.

Kannan

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Myk Melez

mhoye clarified this earlier when he said:
> "the summit email was sent to registered Mozillians whose email address did not end in @mozilla.*".

-myk

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

reuben.morais (Bugzilla)
On Apr 3, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03.04.13 17:43, Michael Hoye wrote:

I was under the impression that the reason why they did this was because the Comm. Engagement team will handle volunteers and employees who want to attend differently, just like it was for the MozCamps. Kate, is this correct?

> As for l10n, I'm waiting for clarity on how to get who on to the summit planning assembly.

Kate, can you clarify? :)

-- reuben

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Daniel Holbert-3
On 04/03/2013 05:48 PM, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
> I'm an employee and thus have a vouched Mozillians account.  I didn't
> receive an email in either of these capacities.

As mhoye clarified elsewhere in this thread, "the summit email was sent
to registered Mozillians whose email address did not end in @mozilla.*"
(since it included process info for volunteers who were interested in
attending, which may be different from the process for employees).

> This email is the first
> I've heard of the dates for the summit.

You're not too far behind the times -- I believe the dates were first
announced (along with other summit info) at this week's Monday meeting.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/WeeklyUpdates/2013-04-01#Speakers

~Daniel

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Katherine Naszradi
Hi all:

Yes - this specific process is just for volunteers to indicate their
interest in attending. Staff will be contacted later this week by Mardi
with their next steps.

-Kate

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Reuben Morais <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cameron McCormack-4
On 5/04/13 7:41 AM, Katherine Naszradi wrote:
> Yes - this specific process is just for volunteers to indicate their
> interest in attending. Staff will be contacted later this week by Mardi
> with their next steps.

Should those of us who are staff and who are registered on Mozillians
with a non-mozilla.com email address and who have already joined the
summit2013 group unjoin it?

(Sounds like there needs to be a separate group/tag for staff, rather
than inferring it from email address.)

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Katherine Naszradi
Cameron,

Yes - I think this would simplify the process for Mardi moving forward.
Eventually you'll be asked to re-join the group but for the sake of Mardi
identifying the first round of volunteer interest, it would help having
volunteers only in this group.

Thanks,

Kate

On 5/04/13 8:03 AM, Katherine Naszradi wrote:
> Yes - I think this would simplify the process for Mardi moving forward.
> Eventually you'll be asked to re-join the group but for the sake of
> Mardi identifying the first round of volunteer interest, it would help
> having volunteers only in this group.

I've done so now.  I just grabbed the summit2013 group membership list
and compared it against the phonebook, and I got 101 name matches.  So
please be aware of that. :)

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

Robert Kaiser
Michael Hoye schrieb:
> No, this is explicitly for contributors and community members, not for contractors or employees. Those people are assumed to be attending.

So people who are contractors or employees should not add themselves
into that group on Mozillians (note that I for example am not registered
there with my @mozilla email and therefore am not even in the staff
group there).

Robert Kaiser

On 5/04/13 10:06 AM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> So people who are contractors or employees should not add themselves
> into that group on Mozillians (note that I for example am not registered
> there with my @mozilla email and therefore am not even in the staff
> group there).

I didn't know there was a staff group, but it doesn't seem to be
possible to manually put yourself in there anyway.  I filed
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=858327.

Re: The announcement of the 2013 Mozilla Summit

William Reynolds
On 4/4/13 4:06 PM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> So people who are contractors or employees should not add themselves
> into that group on Mozillians (note that I for example am not
> registered there with my @mozilla email and therefore am not even in
> the staff group there).
Correct, paid staff do not need to add themselves to the summit2013
group on Mozillians at this time. Paid staff will receive separate
instructions in the next week.

Right now the summit2013 group on Mozillians is being used to understand
who and how many volunteer Mozillians are interested in attending the
Summit. That will allow us to figure out some basic travel logistics for
volunteers, and we already know where paid staff are located. Once we
know everyone who will be attending the Summit, we can update the
summit2013 group to reflect the list of participants.

Sorry for the confusion in this thread, and I'm glad to see lots of
excitement and interest in the Summit. More information will be shared
soon, including a Frequently Asked Questions :)

William