The Weather Channel

JAS

The Weather Channel

JAS
I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
stations and now TWC.

JAS

--
   You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

Re: The Weather Channel

Wolf K.
On 2014-03-27 7:17 PM, JAS wrote:

> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
> stations and now TWC.
>
> JAS

I don't know where you're located, but I go to cbc.ca/weather, on which
I can find not only our local weather conditions and forecast, but also
several from around the world, eg, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston.
Accessible with any browser, and there's probably an app for it, too.

I'm sure there's a similar website for your local weather.

Good luck.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: The Weather Channel

Mike Easter-2
JAS wrote:
> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
> stations and now TWC.

Does your TV provider also offer The Local AccuWeather Channel?

wiki comparison sub-article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Local_AccuWeather_Channel#Comparisons_to_Other_Weather_Channels

--
Mike Easter
JAS

Re: The Weather Channel

JAS
Wolf K. wrote:

> On 2014-03-27 7:17 PM, JAS wrote:
>> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
>> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
>> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
>> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
>> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
>> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
>> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
>> stations and now TWC.
>>
>> JAS
>
> I don't know where you're located, but I go to cbc.ca/weather, on
> which I can find not only our local weather conditions and forecast,
> but also several from around the world, eg, El Paso, San Antonio,
> Houston. Accessible with any browser, and there's probably an app for
> it, too.
>
> I'm sure there's a similar website for your local weather.
>
> Good luck.

I live in a small town in North West Nebraska and we get our major
stations on our cable supplier and they are all Denver,Co. based and
Denver,Co. is 360 miles away.

--
   You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

Re: The Weather Channel

John McGaw-2
On 3/27/2014 7:17 PM, JAS wrote:

> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
> stations and now TWC.
>
> JAS

The Weather Channel hasn't been a 'weather' channel for a very long time
now. Did you just notice that big portions of their programming are totally
non-weather-related? If I want the weather I will check their online site
which are permanent tabs in FF (report and map) and/or AccuWeather.com via
an add-on that puts their results on my menu bar.
JAS

Re: The Weather Channel

JAS

--
   You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

JAS

Re: The Weather Channel

JAS
John McGaw wrote:

> On 3/27/2014 7:17 PM, JAS wrote:
>> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
>> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
>> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
>> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
>> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
>> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
>> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
>> stations and now TWC.
>>
>> JAS
>>

> The Weather Channel hasn't been a 'weather' channel for a very long
> time now. Did you just notice that big portions of their programming
> are totally non-weather-related? If I want the weather I will check
> their online site which are permanent tabs in FF (report and map)
> and/or AccuWeather.com via an add-on that puts their results on my
> menu bar.
I know it has been changing for some time now but this last big change
is the pits. There comes a time when I get tired of looking at my laptop.

On 2014-03-27 7:48 PM, JAS wrote:

> Wolf K. wrote:
>> On 2014-03-27 7:17 PM, JAS wrote:
>>> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
>>> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
>>> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
>>> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
>>> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
>>> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
>>> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
>>> stations and now TWC.
>>>
>>> JAS
>>
>> I don't know where you're located, but I go to cbc.ca/weather, on
>> which I can find not only our local weather conditions and forecast,
>> but also several from around the world, eg, El Paso, San Antonio,
>> Houston. Accessible with any browser, and there's probably an app for
>> it, too.
>>
>> I'm sure there's a similar website for your local weather.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
> I live in a small town in North West Nebraska and we get our major
> stations on our cable supplier and they are all Denver,Co. based and
> Denver,Co. is 360 miles away.

Try this link:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/omaha-ne/68102/weather-forecast/349291

I know this isn't a TV channel, but it looks to be a lot better than
what you are getting. You can search for a city closer to your location,
though if my geography is right, weather in Omaha is likely pretty close
to weather everywhere in Nebraska. ;-)

--
Best,
Wolf K.
JAS

Re: The Weather Channel

JAS
Wolf K. wrote:

> On 2014-03-27 7:48 PM, JAS wrote:
>> Wolf K. wrote:

>>> I don't know where you're located, but I go to cbc.ca/weather, on
>>> which I can find not only our local weather conditions and forecast,
>>> but also several from around the world, eg, El Paso, San Antonio,
>>> Houston. Accessible with any browser, and there's probably an app for
>>> it, too.
>>>
>>> I'm sure there's a similar website for your local weather.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>> I live in a small town in North West Nebraska and we get our major
>> stations on our cable supplier and they are all Denver,Co. based and
>> Denver,Co. is 360 miles away.
>
> Try this link:
> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/omaha-ne/68102/weather-forecast/349291
>
> I know this isn't a TV channel, but it looks to be a lot better than
> what you are getting. You can search for a city closer to your
> location, though if my geography is right, weather in Omaha is likely
> pretty close to weather everywhere in Nebraska. ;-)

I am 400 miles from Omaha, up in the north west Nebraska panhandle,69343.

--
   You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

Re: The Weather Channel

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Wolf K. wrote:

> On 2014-03-27 7:48 PM, JAS wrote:
>> I live in a small town in North West Nebraska and we get our major
>> stations on our cable supplier and they are all Denver,Co. based and
>> Denver,Co. is 360 miles away.
>
> Try this link:
> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/omaha-ne/68102/weather-forecast/349291

That's even farther away than Denver from NW NE, by 140 miles. Rapid City,
SD is probably closest big city.

Try Chadron:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chadron-ne/69337/weather-forecast/334304

I had a steak dinner there one evening whilst crossing the country by
motorcycle on US20 about 40 years ago.

--
   -bts
JAS

Re: The Weather Channel

JAS
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Wolf K. wrote:
>
>> On 2014-03-27 7:48 PM, JAS wrote:
>>> I live in a small town in North West Nebraska and we get our major
>>> stations on our cable supplier and they are all Denver,Co. based and
>>> Denver,Co. is 360 miles away.
>> Try this link:
>> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/omaha-ne/68102/weather-forecast/349291
> That's even farther away than Denver from NW NE, by 140 miles. Rapid City,
> SD is probably closest big city.
>
> Try Chadron:
> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chadron-ne/69337/weather-forecast/334304
>
> I had a steak dinner there one evening whilst crossing the country by
> motorcycle on US20 about 40 years ago.

Yes Rapid City is 150 miles away and Chadron is 50 miles and on a
computer we get Chadron airport for our local weather. But at times 50
miles makes a lot of difference,ha. We live in a nice part of the USA.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/gordon-ne/69343/weather-forecast/334427

> We live in a nice part of the USA.

That it is. I've gone through your town a couple of times, usually on my
way to the Black Hills, which I love.

You've got a 68° day coming on Saturday, while I only get 40° here in
Western New York. We are not supposed to get to the 60s until April 13th,
according to AccuWeather.

--
   -bts

Re: The Weather Channel

WaltS48
On 03/27/2014 07:17 PM, JAS wrote:

> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
> stations and now TWC.
>
> JAS

I don't have a TV or cable, but check the TWC in the hotel room when I'm
in Buffalo for the Christmas holidays.

Sure isn't TWC I remember. What happened to weather?

On the web I use Intellicast, NOAA, AccuWeather, Weather Channel and
Weather Underground. They all report different conditions from the same
weather station, at the same time.

Best to just look out the window.

Re: The Weather Channel

WaltS48
On 03/27/2014 10:23 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> JAS wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>> That's even farther away than Denver from NW NE, by 140 miles. Rapid
>>> City, SD is probably closest big city.
>>>
>>> Try Chadron:
>>> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chadron-ne/69337/weather-
> forecast/334304
>>>
>>> I had a steak dinner there one evening whilst crossing the country by
>>> motorcycle on US20 about 40 years ago.
>>>
>> Yes Rapid City is 150 miles away and Chadron is 50 miles and on a
>> computer we get Chadron airport for our local weather. But at times 50
>> miles makes a lot of difference,ha.
>
> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/gordon-ne/69343/weather-forecast/334427
>
>> We live in a nice part of the USA.
>
> That it is. I've gone through your town a couple of times, usually on my
> way to the Black Hills, which I love.
>
> You've got a 68° day coming on Saturday, while I only get 40° here in
> Western New York. We are not supposed to get to the 60s until April 13th,
> according to AccuWeather.

I'm calling you next Thanksgiving and Christmas for a weather report!

Enjoy the 2 blizzards this year?

JAS

Re: The Weather Channel

JAS
WaltS wrote:

> On 03/27/2014 07:17 PM, JAS wrote:
>> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
>> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
>> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
>> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
>> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
>> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
>> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
>> stations and now TWC.
>>
>> JAS
>>

> I don't have a TV or cable, but check the TWC in the hotel room when
> I'm in Buffalo for the Christmas holidays.
>
> Sure isn't TWC I remember. What happened to weather?
>
> On the web I use Intellicast, NOAA, AccuWeather, Weather Channel and
> Weather Underground. They all report different conditions from the
> same weather station, at the same time.
>
> Best to just look out the window.

Yes, here there is a saying, just wait 5 mins and it will be different.
One thing for sure is that we always have the wind.

--
   You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

Re: The Weather Channel

Ed Mullen-9
WaltS wrote:

> On 03/27/2014 07:17 PM, JAS wrote:
>> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
>> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
>> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
>> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
>> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
>> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
>> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
>> stations and now TWC.
>>
>> JAS
>>

> I don't have a TV or cable, but check the TWC in the hotel room when I'm
> in Buffalo for the Christmas holidays.
>
> Sure isn't TWC I remember. What happened to weather?
>
> On the web I use Intellicast, NOAA, AccuWeather, Weather Channel and
> Weather Underground. They all report different conditions from the same
> weather station, at the same time.
>
> Best to just look out the window.

If you're into that stuff you might be interested to investigate the
history of AccuWeather.

In the 70s I was a production asst. at WPSX-TV at Penn State and we did
a little show that included a weather portion done by meteorologists at
the university.  Including Joel Myers, founder of AccuWeather.  Joel was
famous for running into the studio about two minutes before (live) air
time with all of his (hand-drawn) paper weather maps that had to be
stuck up on the set with double-sided masking tape.  It was always a
panic situation.

And as annoying as Joel could be, he was GOOD.  And look what he did
with that company.  Amazing.

I remember Joe Bastardi on the show as a grad student.  He now sometimes
is a guest expert contributor on Fox News.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
JAS

Re: The Weather Channel

JAS
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> JAS wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>> That's even farther away than Denver from NW NE, by 140 miles. Rapid
>>> City, SD is probably closest big city.
>>>
>>> Try Chadron:
>>> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chadron-ne/69337/weather-
> forecast/334304
>>> I had a steak dinner there one evening whilst crossing the country by
>>> motorcycle on US20 about 40 years ago.
>>>
>> Yes Rapid City is 150 miles away and Chadron is 50 miles and on a
>> computer we get Chadron airport for our local weather. But at times 50
>> miles makes a lot of difference,ha.
> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/gordon-ne/69343/weather-forecast/334427
>
>> We live in a nice part of the USA.
> That it is. I've gone through your town a couple of times, usually on my
> way to the Black Hills, which I love.
>
> You've got a 68° day coming on Saturday, while I only get 40° here in
> Western New York. We are not supposed to get to the 60s until April 13th,
> according to AccuWeather.

We were in the 70's yesterday and today the 30's with a cold wind. We do
most of our doctoring in Rapid City, they get more snow than we do so it
seems we always run into a storm the day of our appointments. Our town
is dying little by little as we are a farming and ranching town and the
farms and ranches are getting bigger and run by fewer families. Thanks
to Ted Turner in buying several ranches  around here to run his buffalo.
No industry and low wages and close to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
Glad I am retired, born in 1941.

WaltS wrote:

> On 03/27/2014 10:23 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> You've got a 68° day coming on Saturday, while I only get 40° here in
>> Western New York. We are not supposed to get to the 60s until April
>> 13th, according to AccuWeather.
>
> I'm calling you next Thanksgiving and Christmas for a weather report!
>
> Enjoy the 2 blizzards this year?

Two? Only two?  Heh. Seems like there were more than that. Deepest snow in
one day this winter was around 18-20 inches. I do have a good-sized
snowblower.

I'm in the Rochester area, so I can't give you a Buffalo forecast.  ;-)

--
   -bts

Re: The Weather Channel

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
JAS wrote:

> We were in the 70's yesterday and today the 30's with a cold wind. We do
> most of our doctoring in Rapid City, they get more snow than we do so it
> seems we always run into a storm the day of our appointments. Our town
> is dying little by little as we are a farming and ranching town and the
> farms and ranches are getting bigger and run by fewer families. Thanks
> to Ted Turner in buying several ranches  around here to run his buffalo.
> No industry and low wages and close to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

That's quite a drive for a doctor appointment. Hope you don't have to do
it too often. Depending, you might need a hotel for an overnight...

> Glad I am retired, born in 1941.

We are of the exact same status.

--
   -bts

Re: The Weather Channel

David E. Ross-3
On 3/27/2014 4:17 PM, JAS wrote:

> I have always watched the TWC the first thing in the morning to get our
> local weather and weather world wide but with their new "look" as they
> call it, it stinks as far as I am concerned. They look more like a news
> ( NBC ) station now and are not just a weather channel and you listen to
> all the rest of the garbage that is going on and have to wait around to
> get the weather you went there for. Is it just me or how do others feel
> about it? I have to put up with all the other crap on all the other
> stations and now TWC.
>
> JAS

Having read the other replies in this thread, I am surprised no one else
suggested the National Weather Service at <http://www.weather.gov/>.  If
you go to that Web site, you can either input your ZIP code to get a
forecast and then select "Get Detailed info" to get an extended
forecast, or else you can click on the U.S. map and start navigating to
your area.

I don't know what is available in other areas, but in southern
California I use
<http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?afos=xxxzfplox&banner=off&version=0&print=yes>.
 This gives me 7-day text forecasts for 20 different micro-climate zones
from Los Angeles County north to San Luis Obispo County.

For international weather, I read the morning newspaper.  (Remember
newspapers?)  In hurricane season, I check <http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/>
although no hurricane has ever reached southern California in my
lifetime (72+ years).  <http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/> tells me when
certain parts of the U.S. might expect above or below average
temperatures and rainfall, not the amounts but the probabilities that
these might deviate from their local averages.

By the way, I too was born in 1941.  Retirement is the best work of all.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.