Quantcast

The Sun sets on Firefox Developer Edition aka Aurora

The Sun sets on Firefox Developer Edition aka Aurora

WaltS48-5
I think a better name would be Project Dusk, but I can see Project Dawn,
because it is a new dawn for Firefox release channels.

Instead of four channels there will be three, Nightly > Beta > Release.

> Mozilla plans to drop the Firefox Aurora release channel with the release of Mozilla Firefox 53 on Wednesday, April  26th 2017. The change affects the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey projects as well.

REF: <http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/16/firefox-aurora-end/>

I don't think it is going to be boring using Nightly for another six weeks.

A pref to enable Photon, "browser.photon.structure.enabled" just landed
in about:config, set to false but doesn't do anything except disable the
Menu Button when set to true.

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: The Sun sets on Firefox Developer Edition aka Aurora

WaltS48-5
On 4/16/17 9:16 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> I think a better name would be Project Dusk, but I can see Project
> Dawn, because it is a new dawn for Firefox release channels.
>
> Instead of four channels there will be three, Nightly > Beta > Release.
>
>> Mozilla plans to drop the Firefox Aurora release channel with the
>> release of Mozilla Firefox 53 on Wednesday, April  26th 2017. The
>> change affects the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey projects as well.
>

> REF: <http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/16/firefox-aurora-end/>
>
> I don't think it is going to be boring using Nightly for another six
> weeks.
>
> A pref to enable Photon, "browser.photon.structure.enabled" just
> landed in about:config, set to false but doesn't do anything except
> disable the Menu Button when set to true.

It's official!

<https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/04/simplifying-firefox-release-channels/>

<http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/release/2017/04/17/Dawn-Project-FAQ.html>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: The Sun sets on Firefox Developer Edition aka Aurora

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 4/17/2017
8:35 AM:

> On 4/16/17 9:16 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> I think a better name would be Project Dusk, but I can see Project
>> Dawn, because it is a new dawn for Firefox release channels.
>>
>> Instead of four channels there will be three, Nightly > Beta > Release.
>>
>>> Mozilla plans to drop the Firefox Aurora release channel with the
>>> release of Mozilla Firefox 53 on Wednesday, April  26th 2017. The
>>> change affects the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey projects as well.
>>

>> REF: <http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/16/firefox-aurora-end/>
>>
>> I don't think it is going to be boring using Nightly for another six
>> weeks.
>>
>> A pref to enable Photon, "browser.photon.structure.enabled" just
>> landed in about:config, set to false but doesn't do anything except
>> disable the Menu Button when set to true.
>
> It's official!
>
> <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/04/simplifying-firefox-release-channels/>
>
> <http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/release/2017/04/17/Dawn-Project-FAQ.html>

Out of curiosity, do you know what the participation figures were for
Nightly and Alpha? Or maybe a better metric would be the number of new
unique bugs discovered in those two phases? Clearly, if Nightly had the
majority and Alpha/Aurora had few then compacting the phases seems like
a no-brainer, if only for the configuration control resource savings.

--
Sailfish

On 4/18/17 12:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on
> 4/17/2017 8:35 AM:
>>
>> On 4/16/17 9:16 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>> I think a better name would be Project Dusk, but I can see Project
>>> Dawn, because it is a new dawn for Firefox release channels.
>>>
>>> Instead of four channels there will be three, Nightly > Beta > Release.

>>> REF: <http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/16/firefox-aurora-end/>
>>>
>>> I don't think it is going to be boring using Nightly for another six
>>> weeks.
>>>
>>> A pref to enable Photon, "browser.photon.structure.enabled" just
>>> landed in about:config, set to false but doesn't do anything except
>>> disable the Menu Button when set to true.
>>
>> It's official!
>>
>> <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/04/simplifying-firefox-release-channels/>
>>

>> <http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/release/2017/04/17/Dawn-Project-FAQ.html>
>>

> Out of curiosity, do you know what the participation figures were for
> Nightly and Alpha? Or maybe a better metric would be the number of new
> unique bugs discovered in those two phases? Clearly, if Nightly had
> the majority and Alpha/Aurora had few then compacting the phases seems
> like a no-brainer, if only for the configuration control resource
> savings.

No idea how many users are on each channel. Mozilla stopped releasing
that information several years ago.

As for bugs, Josa keeps a tally in the "Official Builds are out" posts
on mozillaZine.

> Nightly 55 fixes since 20170306 (Gecko 54) ~2063
> Aurora 54 fixes since 20170123 (Gecko 53) ~2399
> Beta 53 fixes since 20161114 (Gecko 52) ~3176

The daily post has a list of bugs fixed for each version since the
previous days post.

<http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3029482> 20170417 post.

<http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3029481> 20170416 post.

The things I learn there reading the list of Nightly big fixes and break
my fingers over can be astronomical. :-X

Note that

--
National Popular Vote<http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: The Sun sets on Firefox Developer Edition aka Aurora

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 4/18/2017
5:55 AM:
> On 4/18/17 12:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on
>> 4/17/2017 8:35 AM:

>> Out of curiosity, do you know what the participation figures were for
>> Nightly and Alpha? Or maybe a better metric would be the number of new
>> unique bugs discovered in those two phases? Clearly, if Nightly had
>> the majority and Alpha/Aurora had few then compacting the phases seems
>> like a no-brainer, if only for the configuration control resource
>> savings.
>
> No idea how many users are on each channel. Mozilla stopped releasing
> that information several years ago.
>
> As for bugs, Josa keeps a tally in the "Official Builds are out" posts
> on mozillaZine.
>
>> Nightly 55 fixes since 20170306 (Gecko 54) ~2063
>> Aurora 54 fixes since 20170123 (Gecko 53) ~2399
>> Beta 53 fixes since 20161114 (Gecko 52) ~3176
>
> The daily post has a list of bugs fixed for each version since the
> previous days post.
>
> <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3029482> 20170417 post.
>
> <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3029481> 20170416 post.
>
> The things I learn there reading the list of Nightly big fixes and break
> my fingers over can be astronomical. :-X

Thanks.

--
Sailfish

On 4/18/17 10:29 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on
> 4/18/2017 5:55 AM:
>> On 4/18/17 12:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on
>>> 4/17/2017 8:35 AM:
>
>>> Out of curiosity, do you know what the participation figures were
>>> for Nightly and Alpha? Or maybe a better metric would be the number
>>> of new unique bugs discovered in those two phases? Clearly, if
>>> Nightly had the majority and Alpha/Aurora had few then compacting
>>> the phases seems like a no-brainer, if only for the configuration
>>> control resource savings.
>>
>> No idea how many users are on each channel. Mozilla stopped releasing
>> that information several years ago.
>>
>> As for bugs, Josa keeps a tally in the "Official Builds are out"
>> posts on mozillaZine.
>>
>>> Nightly 55 fixes since 20170306 (Gecko 54) ~2063
>>> Aurora 54 fixes since 20170123 (Gecko 53) ~2399
>>> Beta 53 fixes since 20161114 (Gecko 52) ~3176
>>
>> The daily post has a list of bugs fixed for each version since the
>> previous days post.
>>
>> <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3029482> 20170417
>> post.
>>
>> <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3029481> 20170416
>> post.
>>
>> The things I learn there reading the list of Nightly big fixes and
>> break my fingers over can be astronomical. :-X
>>
> Thanks.

s/big/bug :-[

YW