The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Mozilla - General mailing list
http://thehistoryoftheweb.com/many-faces-names-mozilla/
--
"People are not ants or bees. We do not reason or love or live or die
collectively." --P. J. O'Rourke
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Ed Mullen-10
On 1/19/2018 at 11:27 PM, Ant created this epitome of digital genius:
> http://thehistoryoftheweb.com/many-faces-names-mozilla/

Thanks!  Some great reading.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Michael Gordon-3
On 1/20/2018 8:20 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 1/19/2018 at 11:27 PM, Ant created this epitome of digital genius:
>> http://thehistoryoftheweb.com/many-faces-names-mozilla/
>
> Thanks!  Some great reading.

Hello Ed,

That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator, to
Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
experience with Netscape Navigator.

Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.

MichaelG

On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator, to
> Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>
> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.

I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)
--
"Lay a stick of bubble gum on an anthill for instant Siamese Ant Twins."
--unknown

On 1/20/2018 4:29 PM, Ant wrote:

> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>
>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>
> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)

Hello Ant,

Were you able to view the graphic?

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Daniel-2
Ant wrote:

> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>
>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>
> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)

You late comer, Ant. When I signed up with my ISP (about 1996), he gave
me a copy of NN 0.9!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Wolf K.
On 2018-01-20 19:29, Ant wrote:

> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>
>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>
> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)

My first browser was Mosaic. before that, I did a bit of Kermiting on a
friend's computer. Another friend set up a BBS locally, but I didn't do
BBS for some reason.

People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Ed Mullen-10
On 1/20/2018 at 3:26 PM, Michael Gordon created this epitome of digital
genius:

> On 1/20/2018 8:20 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> On 1/19/2018 at 11:27 PM, Ant created this epitome of digital genius:
>>> http://thehistoryoftheweb.com/many-faces-names-mozilla/
>>
>> Thanks!  Some great reading.
>>
> Hello Ed,
>
> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator, to
> Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>
> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>
> MichaelG

LOL.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

The Real Bev
On 01/21/2018 12:15 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Ant wrote:
>> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
>>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>>
>>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>>
>> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)
>
> You late comer, Ant. When I signed up with my ISP (about 1996), he gave
> me a copy of NN 0.9!

1994, and I had to download it myself using Mosaic!

--
Cheers, Bev
    If god had wanted me to bend over he would

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

PietB-2
Wolf K wrote:
> My first browser was Mosaic.

#MineToo
I vividly remember the uproar when Marc Andreessen announced
he would start asking money for Mosaic, after thousands of
people had acted as beta testers for free.

> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.

Browsers going back to pre-browser times is a contradiction.
Browsers should go back to simple, easy to use www-handlers
and certainly not be subjected to hyper-frequent UI changes,
tons of bells and whistles, and browser-specific stuff.

Maybe Mozilla should consider changing its silly strategy
and come up with Mozaic with a Windows 7 lifespan.

-p

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Daniel-2
Wolf K wrote:

<Snip>

> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.

For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
clone!

Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
almost!! ;-)

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Ed Mullen-10
On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:

> Wolf K wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>
> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
> are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
> clone!
>
> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
> almost!! ;-)

Well, let's go more extreme.  When, if you wanted to look something up
you had to (gasp!) go to a library! Or, if you were lucky enough to have
a current encyclopedia in your house, open a big book and search for it.

I must admit, there is something comforting about holding a book in
one's lap and flipping through the pages.  Almost as if your very
existence is validated by the connection to the written word.

And, your original thought, your quest, well, there it is, found!

Which is great.  Until you look at the copyright date of the tome and
it's 1957.  Oh.  Oops!

Although, it might still be valid.  And if not, it could be historically
interesting.

Or we could just Google it.

Sigh.  And here we are.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

caver1-5
On 01/22/2018 03:19 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Wolf K wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>
> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
> are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
> clone!
>
> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
> almost!! ;-)

I remember when I got my first computer. It was a Tandy 25MHz. A couple
of my computer geek nephews came over and they couldn't believe how
blazingly fast my computer was.

--
Caver1

On 2018-01-22 03:39, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
>> Wolf K wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>>
>> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day
>> computers are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or
>> an Apple IIE clone!
>>
>> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
>> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
>> almost!! ;-)
>>

> Well, let's go more extreme.  When, if you wanted to look something up
> you had to (gasp!) go to a library! Or, if you were lucky enough to have
> a current encyclopedia in your house, open a big book and search for it.
>
> I must admit, there is something comforting about holding a book in
> one's lap and flipping through the pages.  Almost as if your very
> existence is validated by the connection to the written word.
>
> And, your original thought, your quest, well, there it is, found!
>
> Which is great.  Until you look at the copyright date of the tome and
> it's 1957.  Oh.  Oops!
>
> Although, it might still be valid.  And if not, it could be historically
> interesting.
>
> Or we could just Google it.
>
> Sigh.  And here we are.

The problem with online searches is that people forget that somebody had
to decide to put it up, and more importantly, also decided how to format
it. This is specially so with statistics, which too often give you
tables or graphs of percentage changes without the base data. That can
be very misleading. Eg, 50% of 100 is much less than 1% of 100,000.

While people know that Google puts up the most popular results first,
that doesn't affect their behaviour much (over 90% of searchers do not
go past the first page). And while there is a lot of data available,
there's also a lot more that's not available.

I find that a paper-book search is often quicker than a google search.
Even Wikipedia searches don't yield the data I want about 20-30% of the
time. Either no article, or buried in several article. My ancient
paper-pedias OTOH

Nevertheless, I do a lot of online searching.

Sigh.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

On 1/22/2018 12:19 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Wolf K wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>
> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
> are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
> clone!
>
> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
> almost!! ;-)

I find it very interesting, that an old cliche, 'What goes around comes
around'; is now coming back to the kids in a big way.

Anybody around here recall a tiny network named ARPANET?
With ARPA we used a keyboard, UNIX clone, an 8086 12 port multi-user
computer, connected by telephone wire on a military phone system.  Our
major means of communication was texting with the keyboard.

Today's kids are texting; just like we did in the '70s, '80s, and '90s.
One difference, they carry their communications device in their hand
with a tiny 4 inch monitor.

 From a few years ago:

"In the Beginning, ARPA created the ARPANET.

And the ARPANET was without form and void.

And darkness was upon the deep.

And the spirit of ARPA moved upon the face of the network and ARPA said,
'Let there be a protocol,' and there was a protocol. And ARPA saw that
it was good.

And ARPA said, 'Let there be more protocols,' and it was so. And ARPA
saw that it was good.

And ARPA said, 'Let there be more networks,' and it was so."
~Danny Cohen

On 01/22/2018 07:26 AM, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2018-01-22 03:39, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
>>> Wolf K wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day
>>> computers are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or
>>> an Apple IIE clone!
>>>
>>> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
>>> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
>>> almost!! ;-)
>>>

>> Well, let's go more extreme.  When, if you wanted to look something up
>> you had to (gasp!) go to a library! Or, if you were lucky enough to have
>> a current encyclopedia in your house, open a big book and search for it.
>>
>> I must admit, there is something comforting about holding a book in
>> one's lap and flipping through the pages.  Almost as if your very
>> existence is validated by the connection to the written word.
>>
>> And, your original thought, your quest, well, there it is, found!
>>
>> Which is great.  Until you look at the copyright date of the tome and
>> it's 1957.  Oh.  Oops!
>>
>> Although, it might still be valid.  And if not, it could be historically
>> interesting.
>>
>> Or we could just Google it.
>>
>> Sigh.  And here we are.
>
> The problem with online searches is that people forget that somebody had
> to decide to put it up, and more importantly, also decided how to format
> it. This is specially so with statistics, which too often give you
> tables or graphs of percentage changes without the base data. That can
> be very misleading. Eg, 50% of 100 is much less than 1% of 100,000.
>
> While people know that Google puts up the most popular results first,
> that doesn't affect their behaviour much (over 90% of searchers do not
> go past the first page). And while there is a lot of data available,
> there's also a lot more that's not available.
>
> I find that a paper-book search is often quicker than a google search.
> Even Wikipedia searches don't yield the data I want about 20-30% of the
> time. Either no article, or buried in several article. My ancient
> paper-pedias OTOH
>
> Nevertheless, I do a lot of online searching.

I miss the library's card catalog.  Back when I used to have to write
papers you could browse to find more references to the subject of
interest.  At least I think that's the way it worked, but that was a
long time ago.  I LIKED rummaging through the drawers.

Doing the same thing via the library's website is way more convenient:
Look for a book;  ask that it be sent to the library up the street from
wherever it is now;  or perhaps ask that it be sent from a distant
library;  or perhaps even ask the library to BUY a copy -- which they
might do if you make a good enough argument.

The card catalog was still there last time I went to the main branch
several years ago, but maybe now it's part of the Big Bang Theory set --
or maybe that's the catalog from one of the branch libraries.

Incidentally, they frequently use real Pasadena settings, although the
view out of their apartment window is impossible and is certainly not
located on Los Robles.  The views out the car windows look familiar
(I've lived here for 56 years) but I've only been able to identify ONE
-- where they parked once.  I did find the building on the roof of which
Bernadette and Howard were married.

--
Cheers, Bev
    "Sure, everyone's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Jim Fisher
On 22 Jan 2018 at 19:19, Daniel wrote:

> Wolf K wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
> > People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
> > pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>
> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
> are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
> clone!
>
> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
> almost!! ;-)
>
> --
> Daniel

That wasn't my experience. My 8086 machine booted much faster than my present
one, mainly because it didn't have to bother with Windoze, just load in DOS 3.3
(which originally came on a single floppy installation disc so it was quite
small), followed (automatically) by GWBasic to run a menu program I wrote and
we were in business. Of course it had far less capability after booting, but
actual boot and shut down were much faster.

Jim Fisher

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy

Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
>> Wolf K wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>>
>> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day
>> computers are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or
>> an Apple IIE clone!
>>
>> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
>> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
>> almost!! ;-)
>>

> Well, let's go more extreme.  When, if you wanted to look something up
> you had to (gasp!) go to a library!

Sorry, Ed, the library is closed from about 5:00-5:30p.m., and I usually
don't come on-line until about 7:00p.m.!! ;-P

Caver1 wrote:

> On 01/22/2018 03:19 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Wolf K wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>>
>> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
>> are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
>> clone!
>>
>> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
>> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
>> almost!! ;-)
>>

> I remember when I got my first computer. It was a Tandy 25MHz. A couple
> of my computer geek nephews came over and they couldn't believe how
> blazingly fast my computer was.

You show off!! ;-)

On 1/20/2018 5:09 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:

> On 1/20/2018 4:29 PM, Ant wrote:
>> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
>>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>>
>>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>>
>> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)
>
> Hello Ant,
>
> Were you able to view the graphic?

Yep. Old school. ;)
--
"I am always shocked that there are still a handful of defenders of the
dubious practice of abstinence, surely the worst idea since