The American Religion

Mozilla - General mailing list

Our first war against Iraq was a true religious war, but not one in which Islam was involved spiritually, on either side. Rather it was the war of the American Religion (and of the American Religion abroad, even among our Arab allies) against whatever denies the self’s status and function as the true standard of being and of value. Democracy is not at issue here, and even private property is not at the center. President George Bush, generally not considered over devout, followed President Reagan and other pre-cursors (Nixon, Ford, Carter) by summoning Billy Graham as an emblem of the American Religion. Appearing, Bible perpetually in hand, at the President’s side, Graham implicitly certified the war as having biblical sanction. The American Religion by Harold Bloom

Re: The American Religion

unmoderated list:

Pros: you can talk freely without the need to worry
about capricious censorship

Cons: stuff like was just posted.

Ah well ...

Re: The American Religion

WaltS48-12
On 7/11/20 6:35 PM, T wrote:
> unmoderated list:
>
> Pros: you can talk freely without the need to worry
> about capricious censorship
>
> Cons: stuff like was just posted.
>
> Ah well ...

Filters work. :)

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Re: The American Religion

On 2020-07-11 16:23, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 7/11/20 6:35 PM, T wrote:
>> unmoderated list:
>>
>> Pros: you can talk freely without the need to worry
>> about capricious censorship
>>
>> Cons: stuff like was just posted.
>>
>> Ah well ...
>
> Filters work. :)